Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,441 to 42,460 of 69,962

redd214

@Ralizah I'm sure it will be up later today when the store updates.

For anyone looking to score a sd card in the US, Best Buy has 128gb cards for only $15 today only

redd214

gcunit

Anyone else had the SL/SR rail joy con problem?

Realised the other day that my launch day neon right joy con has it - the buttons not working. Haven't used that one for months but wanted it for some local 4 player action.

Searching the web suggests it's a pretty common problem, but I've not noticed it mentioned on this forum.

Supposedly the ribbon cable is poorly packed into the shell, gets bent and stops carrying the button signals. Haven't opened mine up yet though cos I can't find my tri-wing screwdriver.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
I had same problem about SL /SR button too last time.
It didn't even respond at all when i tried to play Milk on 1-2-Switch.
I brought to my local video games service and it worked after my Joy Con's ribbon cable has been replaced with new one.

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 I'm not a fan of Toriyama's most common style, but for me DQ never felt "Toriyama style", it always felt like he intentionally made it a very different thing than his more signature styles, maybe because it's not "his." I don't meant to say DQ is "generic" but doesn't feel particularly Toriyama, anime, or Japanese in general to me. It seems more like Nintendo or Level 5, a "generic" cartoon art style that isn't region specific. I'm surprised people think of it as "anime" art style. FF is way more anime styled than DQ. Yet that's the popular one in the West....

@StableInvadeel I'm wholly convinced Sailor Moon is single handedly responsible for the overall impression of Anime in the West.... shiver

@JaxonH I think by "super Japanese anime style" what you really mean is "really really low budget artwork" I think that's the "anime style" that most are pointing and laughing at when mocking anime (well, that and the fetishistic clothing on female characters...not that Western bikini armor is much different.)

@Therad Never played Don't Starve, I love the Civ games, or at least used to, I bought it on Switch and never really had time to do anything with it. That's really a strategy game though, not a sandbox like MC. But with the sandbox, I just can't get into "just find something to do without any actual goal." And would the kids really be that cool with it if there was no internet, were no tubers, and they just got plopped in the grassy field and were told "do something."? That kind of leans on my thinking that it's designed on social virility, not it's own merits as a game.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

GODDDDDDD FIRE EMBLEM'S MUSIC IS SOOOO GOOD. CHAPTER 12'S MAP THEME IS ABSOLUTE PERFECTION. BEST OST OF THE YEAR BY FAAAAAAR. OFFICIAL RELEASE PLEASE????????

@NEStalgia Anime is a huge non-descriptor. Hell, I can point at things from a game like Dark Souls of all games and tell you there could be a ton of anime-inspired aspects to the games - big freakin' swords, incredibly slick and choreographed animations, direct inspiration from things like Berserk, the works.

Some styles are more subdued than others. For example Zelda (in Skyward Sword/BotW as the most apparent) takes that subdued approach compared to Fire Emblem/Xeno, which all veer into anime territory a bit harder.

As for Minecraft and the popularity of it though, the creative/survival aspect is something you just have to enjoy. I don't like Minecraft/Terraria much, but I still see the appeal, and mods can further change the game up. There's a lot of game to those things.

Hell, IIRC Minecraft was cited by Miyamoto that it felt like a game Nintendo wanted to make but couldn't because they didn't figure out how to make building fun, or something along those lines.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I'm not sure "slick and choreographed animations" are words I'd apply to Dark Souls.......

Yeah, BotW definitely has anime inspiration/styling at points. I can see it with SS as well (personally I think that's Aonuma's influence.) But prior to that Zelda was really very "western" in art styling. Very likely on purpose, under Miyamoto's watch. He's always had a very Western styling.

I think you need to enjoy creative for MC. Survival would be every game ever. But survival with no purpose, goal, or even visual target of interest seems lacking comapred to most games. You see a town in the distance, you go there, there's stuff. In MC, you may stumble into a town....and there's not much of anythign going on there....it's all generic sameyness. And I suck with creative unless I'm make-shifting something for a purpose (which DQB seems to encourage.) I don't build pretty. I build crude and functional. I'd have made a great Soviet brutalist architect.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Maybe not Dark Souls II because that game's animations as a whole are very lackluster, but Dark Souls 1 and III all have extremely detailed and well animated attacks for bosses. Especially Dark Souls III.

I'd say Zelda has always had some anime inspiration though, ever since LTTP. The Oracle games also showed that off pretty well. It really only grew more and more after Skyward Sword, but I'd argue that it did incorporate some anime styling into itself.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario Hmm, I definitely don't see it in ALttP. That seems Western in all ways to me.

NEStalgia

RR529

@NEStalgia, I never got where the idea that anime has "cheap, low quality animation" comes from, unless maybe it's related to really old stuff like Speed Racer.

Growing up, before I had any specific biases, I always thought shows like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, InuYasha, the various Gundams & the like always looked quite a bit better than western action cartoons of the era like Justice League & Samurai Jack.

EDIT: as for ALttP (as well as the older FE games), it's art was representative of how anime looked at the time, IMO.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

NEStalgia

@RR529 No, I don't mean anime is cheap and low quality. I mean the stuff that people associate, like Jax was about "that really Japanese anime style" - I don't think that style is a particularly "Japanese style", I think it's the style of really low budget... (see also, Sailor Moon, and, yes, Speed Racer. )

Aside, it's kind of humorous how Cowboy Bebop is an example of Japanese, and Samurai Jack is an example of Western animation, in the same sentence....

NEStalgia

Ralizah

sigh

"Anime" is just animation made in Japan and/or by Japanese people. That's it. There's no universal "anime look." Popular characteristics of Japanese animation mainly derive from the influence of early Disney animation (most famously on the seminal mangaka Osamu Tezuka).

With that said, there is no style that is more or less anime.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

These are all "anime."

It's all just cartoons, at bottom.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

link3710

@RR529 Well Anime runs the full spectrum of animation qualities, from the 60s through the 80s (maybe 90s) it had significantly less budget than western animation. Which, quite notably, was what most people in the west were first exposed to (Speed Racer, Yugioh, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew, etc) On top of that, a lot of big name Anime used to come over years after it was produced, making it look cheaper than it was (Dragon Ball aired in the 80s in JP, while it aired in the 2000s in US for example, DBZ had an 8 year gap, One Piece a 5 year gap, etc.)

link3710

RR529

@link3710, oh yeah, I understand that we got most series a little late, had differing budgets, and then you had the series like Dragon Ball which went year round (no seasonal breaks) which really strained their budget.

Most of those series you listed though were definitely post 80's (barring Speed Racer, and I'll admit to never hearing about Tokyo Mew Mew). Sailor Moon & Pokemon were 90's series (mid 90's at earliest for Pokemon), and Yu-Gi-Oh! was primarily 00's, though probably got it's start in the late 90's.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

gcunit

@Anti-Matter The fix seems fairly straight-forward, if a bit fiddly, so I've ordered a replacement ribbon cable and will hopefully find my tri-wing soon. Glad yours was sorted swiftly for you

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

link3710

@RR529 Yeah, but I suppose what I should've clarified is that those were mostly Shonen anime, and thus cheaply made. That was the point I was headed to that I somehow missed.

link3710

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Sailor Moon was my favorite Anime when i was Grade 5 / 6 (1995).
I love to see their Transformation process , the Daimon looking and Sailor Moon magical attacks.
Somehow, the Sailor Moon transformation and Kamen Raider Henshin were inspired me for my Chibi Boxers, so.....

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

@Ralizah
there is no style that is more or less anime

Whether that’s true or not, when people say they don’t like the look of anime, it’s typically your third picture down that’s being referred to. Whether anime spans a bunch of other art styles doesn’t really change the fact certain people don’t like that look, and they’re simply trying to convey those feelings with words. Whether or not it’s technically the only style of anime, it really just comes down to semantics. That’s what people think of when they hear “anime”, so naturally, when they say they don’t like the look of it, I’m pretty sure that’s the specific look being referred to. It is for me anyways.

Why get frustrated over semantics when people know perfectly good and well what others are referring to when they say they don’t like the look of anime. People who aren’t into anime don’t know all the technical labels and words and politically correct terminology to use for that exact subset of artstyle. So why get frustrated over such a trivial thing when no ill intent is intended, but simply conveying one’s feelings and preferences? If you know what people mean and you know what they’re referring to, what else matters? Words are just a tool of communication. If the intent is known then why get in a kerfluffle over terminology. Right or wrong, that’s what a lot of people, including myself, equate to anime. And right or wrong, that’s nothing worth getting upset or defensive over (speaking to everyone, not you personally). For someone not in the know, theres not exactly a plethora of superior substitute nouns at the ready. The people who don’t equate the third picture down as quintessential anime, are people actually into anime. For most everyone else, that’s it.

And no offense is intended, of that I can assure people. No need to sigh in frustration because people who aren’t into anime don’t know all the technically correct terminology and specific subsets of anime. When I say I’m not a fan of the anime look, what I’m really saying is, I’m not a fan of the look of the third picture down, which is the look I see in 90% of media described as anime. So naturally, that’s the look I equate to the word. Be it technically too broad a discriptor or not. I’m not exactly a fan of the other three either, but I don’t really see those art styles much. It’s the 3rd one down I see everywhere, and it’s the third one down that really doesn’t appeal to me. Not that I can’t overcome that, after all it’s not that big a deal. I play plenty of games with anime art style and enjoy them immensely (and recently, I’m seeing a modernization of the art style I’m really digging- Tales of Arise and Atelier Ryza being excellent examples). But definitely no need for any uptightness over what technically constitutes anime, which I’m kinda shocked to see so many get defensive, frustrated and/or passive aggressive over, when nobody meant any offense by it.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CurryPowderKeg79

**************************NEW TINY NINTENDO SWITCH DOCK IS A GAME CHANGER**************************

Have you seen the Genki's Tiny Switch Dock? It's a Nintendo Switch Dock smaller than the AC charger that comes with the Orignal Nintendo Switch. That's right Smaller than the Nintendo Switch Charger 22% smaller. It's on Kickstarter right now and is scheduled to launch December 2019 yes this year! I'm sure Nintendolife will do an article on it but until then you can check it out here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-covert...

EDIT: Here's the Nintendolife article https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/this_tiny_nintendo_...

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

HobbitGamer

Anime, huh? Do any of you have a moment to talk about our liberator, Lord Khyron Max Sterling?

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ralizah

@JaxonH I DON'T know what you mean, though. And that's the point. To you, an "anime look" might mean Clannad (the show the third pic is from). For a lot of people, it means Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles, even if it doesn't to you. That's because there is a lot of stylistic variance in Japanese animation. And, when people say they don't like the look of "anime," they're often picturing a particular style of character design employed in some anime, so the opinion is so imprecise as to be useless when it comes to sussing out the person's actual likes and dislikes.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic