Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,241 to 4,260 of 69,991

DefHalan

IceClimbers wrote:

As far as indies go, only the bigger Nindies like Yacht Club and Wayforward are going to have dev kits as of right now.

The one indie dev that isn't currently a Nindie that should really have a dev kit is Psyonix, the devs behind Rocket League. Being able to play Rocket League on the go would be a great marketing point.

I doubt any Indies have dev kits. I would hope Psyonix has them, but my buddy that works there NEVER TALKS ABOUT WORK... its like he takes NDAs seriously lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

shaneoh

DjLewe78 wrote:

Is it fair to say people that leak are bad at their jobs?

More than fair

Octane wrote:

Maybe use the screen in portrait mode and divide it in two to simulate the two screen of the 3DS? I don't know.

Having played a DS emulator on my PC (only games I own, I swear), it looks like sin. An ugly bar of colour separating the top and bottom screen, or have them right on top of each other, which makes any animation that covers both screens look disjointed.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Octane

Control sticks are much more comfortable.

Octane

DefHalan

AlternateButtons wrote:

Hey since this might be a portable home console hybrid, do you think the system will use circle pads or control sticks? And honestly, what's the pros and cons of each? Don't they do the same thing just as good?

Control Sticks are better, but not very portable. If this system is supposed to be portable, then it should have circle pads... I guess they could sell control stick controller attachments separately.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Samurai_Goroh

I don't really like circle pads, hope for control sticks, but prepare for the worst. This is precisely where the NX might fail, being the jack of all trades (handheld and home), but the master of none.

Samurai_Goroh

skywake

gcunit wrote:

What I'm finding difficult to square: the Eurogamer article was fairly detailed, but was weeks ago now. If someone was prepared to share that much information then, why hasn't there been more stuff leaked since?

That's not how it works. If for example well before the Wii U launch someone had come out with a huge leak. One that said it's a home console that's about as powerful as the 360 with a screen in the controller. What else would there be to leak? Every leak after that would just be repeating the same thing. Maybe with the occasional one talking about the amount of internal storage or something else mundane. Because what else is there to say?

That's essentially what's happened with the Eurogamer leak. We got a leak that told us the NX is a portable system that docks to your TV. That it's powered by NVidia Tegra and uses cartridges. That it has detachable controllers. If that's accurate what else is there to leak?

MarcelRguez wrote:

If that were the case, the NX would turn into a cross-shaped aberration whilst in portrait mode. I don't see an easy solution.

Untitled
Take the speakers and surrounding plastic off the top section. There you go. I don't see what the issue is with that layout. We've essentially had a vertical screen the with buttons on the sides on Nintendo's portables for a decade now. And frankly that sort of flexibility is the best argument I can think of for detachable controllers.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

FragRed

@AlternateButtons Nintendo has a very different audience today then it did ten years ago, outside of the Nintendo fans that is. As a company they are moving further and further towards the kids in the way they advertise and market their products. And I think this has something to do with the reason they consider themselves different to Microsoft and Sony, despite the fact a lot more children play COD and not Nintendo.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

faint

@FragRed they marketed to kids in the 80's. The only time I remember them marketing to older players was late in the n64s life span.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

FragRed

@faint I can't remember the adverts Nintendo used here in the UK other than the Goldeneye and Gamecube ones, but looking at Nintendo's US adverts from the NES and SNES days they seemed a lot more aggressive and edgy then the soft cuddly vibes they go for now.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

faint

@FragRed I was a kid in 80's USA. What I saw as a ten year old was slightly older kids telling me how cool or tuff a game was. I wanted to be cool like those kids and begged my parents for those games. You have to look at it through a kids lens. Why do you think call of duty is so popular with younger kids? Why do you think a guy like pewdie pie or markiplier can get millions of kids to play Minekraft? It's the same reason I begged for Zelda and contra as a kid.

Edited on by faint

[email protected]

faint

@FragRed Currently Nintendo of Japan markets cuddly and cute because that works quite well in Japan. Nintendo of America has no idea what they are doing so they follow suit. The only time I've scene them take a chance this gen was with the Bayonetta Playboy crossover which didn't work due to entirely missing the point of what she represents as a character. I can't speak for the uk but in the us that's what they do.

[email protected]

FragRed

@faint I get the impression the Europe division strongly follows what Japan does/says to do. Even the Nintendo Directs are very typical of what NoJ does in its style.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Foxconn, Pegatron start production of Sony PS4 Pro, Foxconn trialling production of Nintendo NX

Foxconn Electronics and Pegatron have begun production of the PlayStation (PS) 4 Pro, a new Sony game console to be launched on November 10, and Foxconn has undertaken trial production of the NX, a new Nintendo games console, according to industry sources.

Foxconn and Pegatron used to equally share OEM production of PS consoles, but in 2016 Pegatron is responsible for nearly 70% of production, the sources said. Pegatron and Foxconn will increase shipments of PS 4 Pro consoles in October and November to meet peak demand prior to the year-end season, the sources indicated.

In addition to PS 4 Pro, Foxconn is the largest OEM for Nintendo NX, followed by Japan-based Misumi Electronics and Hosiden, the sources noted. Annual production of Nintendo NX is estimated at 9.5-10 million units, the sources said.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160922PD207.html

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

MarcelRguez

@skywake I see what you mean but, personally, I still find it incredibly off-putting. Not to mention, no leak has mentioned the existence of more ports for the controllers, just the two on the sides.

@AlternateButtons I don't get what you mean. You want to see them do what they are doing now, just more aggressively?

@FragRed That's Shibata's touch for you.

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Everything is going according to plan, except the reveal. It's like they forgot they have to announce the bloody thing.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

skywake

MarcelRguez wrote:

@skywake I see what you mean but, personally, I still find it incredibly off-putting. Not to mention, no leak has mentioned the existence of more ports for the controllers, just the two on the sides.

Well I'm not sure if any of the leaks have mentioned how the controllers even attach. The original Eurogamer article simply says that they are removable and that they can be attached on the sides. It doesn't actually specify whether that means just the two sides or not. Because when you hold a 16:9 screen (like a phone) in portrait mode? The sides are not the sides anymore.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

dtjive

DefHalan wrote:

@MarcelRguez With such a big publisher, especially a publisher that is involved with so many different types of games. (Just Dance, Assassins Creed, Trials, Far Cry) It is very vague. What did they learn from wii U? What games are they wanting to make for the NX? It doesn't really tell us and it just feels like the beginning of the Wii U again where Ubisoft was on board until sales weren't great... ZombiU was awesome

The way I took it was that the Wii U attempted to do something innovative without Nintendo knowing how best to use it or whether people wanted two screens. A lot of people have said on here before that the approach to the Wii U was wrong. They came up with a concept first then later would try to figure out how to use it.

I think what he's saying this time is that it's something that "he knows people want" (not sure whether referring to devs or consumers, I suspect both?) and so Nintendo have addressed their mistakes by creating something that will improve gameplay/is desired rather than creating something and then trying to sell people that they need this device.

dtjive

MarcelRguez

@skywake They have, actually. It was detailed by Laura Dale at Let's Play Videogames. It works on a similar fashion to how a nunchuk fits on the Wiimote. She does mention that the source is less reliable than usual, but it's the only info we have on that front.

Extra info supporting what @SLIGEACH_EIRE posted before. Emily Rogers edited a previous post of hers a couple of days ago with new info:

Emily Rogers wrote:

Tiny Update #1 — September 20th, 2016

• Toshiba, Megachips, and Macronix are all involved with the Nintendo NX.
  • Toshiba is the world’s second-largest NAND chip maker after Samsung. They also manufactured the flash memory chips for the Nintendo 3DS.
  • NX hardware is finalized. Don’t expect any drastic changes.
  • NX is now entering a very early stage of production.
  • Zero percent chance of NX being delayed from its March launch.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

FragRed

Well if Nintendo doesn't seem in any hurry to reveal the NX, I will happily await for the leaks from within Foxconn of what the NX is, at least in terms of the looks.

Samurai_Goroh

Brace yourselves for the "Foxconn Direct", boys!

Samurai_Goroh

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic