Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,881 to 41,900 of 69,995

Tasuki

@JaxonH Doing the right thing?? Come on let's be honest if that lawsuit didn't come up they wouldn't have done a thing. They saw that lawsuit and their PR department went oh shoot we don't want to deal with that.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

JaxonH

@Tasuki
Perhaps. Or the recent media attention and suit brought the issue to the attention of the higher ups, which they subsequently acted upon. Who can say... It's all just speculation. After all, there wasn't really any major attention on this issue until recently barring a few small pockets of the internet buried on forums.

Either way I'm not really interested in a blame game here. I'm just happy to see them doing the right thing, whatever their motivations (which make no difference to me- all that matters is the end result).

They very well could have decided to just move forward with denying any claims made outside of warranty and still been within their legal right, or at least still had a plausible legal argument. They could have doubled down, but they didn't. And for that I am glad. They're doing the right thing, motivations be what they may. We're getting results, which is all I care about.

Fixing any issues regardless of warranty or proof of purchase is the right move here, as opposed to doing the wrong thing, such as doubling down, ignoring the issue, silently fixing it and simply covering repairs within warranty and nothing more, then fighting the suit. Irrespective of decisions made up to this point (for which we can only speculate) there was a right reaction to the media and suit, and there was a wrong reaction to the media and suit. They chose the right reaction.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Therad

Tasuki wrote:

@JaxonH Doing the right thing?? Come on let's be honest if that lawsuit didn't come up they wouldn't have done a thing. They saw that lawsuit and their PR department went oh shoot we don't want to deal with that.

Exactly. And if there is anyone having an idea how widespread it is, it is Nintendo. They are the ones that get all the support tickets.

Even if this is the right move, it is the bare minimum. It should have been done long before now. That they acted so quickly tells us they have known about it for some time, they just didn't do it until they got sued.
Typical corporate bs, nothing to applaud them for.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

DenDen

Played through okani, I like it a LOT.
fun story Nice gameplay mechanics, now only waiting on a physical release

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

JaxonH

They're retro-actively refunding people. I'm pretty sure that's more than the "bare minimum".

Late response? Maybe. Knew about it before? Possibly. But its more than the bare minimum, and its definitely the right response. No need to get so bloodthirsty about it. Nobody's defending joycon drift, and they've been getting ravaged over the issue all week. Credit where it's due. It is possible to criticize while also acknowledging the right response. They're not mutually exclusive.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tangerine

JaxonH wrote:

They're retro-actively refunding people. I'm pretty sure that's more than the "bare minimum".

Late response? Maybe. Knew about it before? Possibly. But its more than the bare minimum, and its definitely the right response. No need to get so bloodthirsty about it.

Agreed.

Tangerine

rallydefault

@JaxonH
Dude. <shakes head>

I've been here for years, and I've YET to see you actually say something slightly critical and constructive of Nintendo. You're a total yes man.

They absolutely knew something was wonky with the left Joycon from the get-go. They're lucky the whole launch of the Switch didn't go down in flames when it came out that the left Joycon was having communication issues at even short distances (and yes, mine was one of them - when in the controller mold, I couldn't sit more than 6ish feet from my TV before the left Joycon would start to spazz out). But, being like most people around here, I just kinda stuck it out and mostly played in handheld anyway. Everything seemed fine.

But then last week my left Joycon stick started to hardcore drift even when in handheld. Made playing games a nightmare, as you could imagine, especially stuff like Mario Maker that requires precise platforming (my buttons on my left Joycon are mashed to heck and are also not reliable lol). Never thought it would happen to me, was always the "I've had it since launch and no issues, must be your fault" kinda guy. Even bought a replacement left Joycon the other day (waste of 50 bucks now, thanks Nintendo but whatever).

They should have been doing something about this over a year ago. Period.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Therad

Bare minimum would have been doing this a year ago, before they got sued. Sure, those that were forced to pay for repairs are getting a refund. But how about those that bought new cons?

It is a PR move, right before the release of the lite, nothing more, nothing less. That is why I call it corporate bs.

If that is being blood thirsty, then I guess I am a vampire.

Therad

-Green-

The switch in general has several hardware or accessory problems. Like ever since launch people have been complaining about the dock, the switch bending, the joycon issues and how the pro controller starts to break after like a year.

Makes it feel as if the Switch was rushed out considering Nintendo’s generally pretty good about making durable and long lasting stuff.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Haruki_NLI

The Switch probably was rushed out given how only now they aren't using a totally off the shelf chipset, and the 3DS was slowing down in 2016, with the Wii U already dead

Call up Nvidia, get the stock X1 chips and then R&D a more capable battery efficient solution later.

If they waited, Switch would only just be coming out most likely.

On the note of controller issues being a reason to sue, anyone wanna help file a class action to Sony for the DS4 or do we just let that battery life, terrible sticks and dodgy Bluetooth slide?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

I'd say the Nintendo joycon issue is an actual issue considering it was a thing from day 1. Glad to see they're just nipping the lawsuit in the bud

TuVictus

Haruki_NLI

@PikPi Well this situation glosses over the fact that we havent had new Joy-Con for months. No new colours since Smash and Pokemon. No word on them.

So in all likelihood, the issue has already been fixed. They just havent said. Imagine walking into court and saying that yeah, in the 6 months without new Joy-Con SKUs, we fixed the issue. Okay bye.

So fixing the existing Joy-Con is expected.

Also, we should have seen the updated fixing for free via customer service coming, since their official public statement told people....talk to customer service...

So they said talk to customer service....because we are now fixing them for free.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@rallydefault
Then you haven't paid attention.

I can't stand people like you who automatically assume anytime someone says something not sp@**ng out, the default response is "oh you never criticize".

For one, so what If I never criticize? Maybe I brush off the things that bother me. What's it to you? Are you going to dictate to ME what I have to criticize? Dude. You do you and let me do me.

Secondly, I criticized them plenty for the joycon drift, but because I simply said they made the right call in fixing the issue, suddenly it's this huge issue of "oh you never criticize"?

Third, it shouldn't matter what I do. As long as I'm NOT ATTACKING OTHERS WHO CRITICIZE, I should be free to my own opinions, just as I should be free from BEING ATTACKED for not criticizing when you dictate I should be.

People like you are the problem with the community. You have your opinion and I respect it. But me having mine... not good enough. You want to tell me what opinion I can have, and dictate when I must criticize? Screw that, I'll speak my mind and wont allow you to tell me how to think.

There's a difference between attacking others who criticize (what fanboys do, or attacking people for not criticizing, also what fanboys do) and simply not criticizing myself, notwithstnding the fact I have criticized the online, the joycon drift, and many other things on many occasions, which you conveniently gloss over or willfully ignore to push a false narrative.

So take your policing of my opinions and authoritarian decree of what I can or can't say somewhere else, cause I dont wanna hear it. You are free to speak your mind on the issue, and I'm free to speak mine. We can have a civil discussion about it if you like, and see where there's common ground. But if saying "they made the right call by retroactively paying people and fixing the issue" triggers you so much you're compelled to try to disqualify my opinion based on some arbitrary metric of mandated criticism, you can see your way out. This forum is not here for you to attack others and use strawman arguments to marginalize others' opinions.

They made the right call. That's my take. Deal with it. If that's a problem for you, or you feel the need to invalidate that opinion, maybe you're the one triggered by an undying thirst for unending criticism, and can't stand a level headed take even though all I said was their response was right. Nobody is defending Nintendo, yet I still get the cliche fanboy "you're not criticizing to MY expectations therefore your opinion is invalid" spiel. I simply said their response to a problem I've already criticized them for... was correct. And it was. If you want to trash them still, go right ahead. But don't lecture me on what opinion I'm allowed to have. I've voiced my displeasure with the issue, and my satisfaction with the fact they are now correcting it. Deal with it or leave.

Edited on by Matthew010

Magician

JaxonH wrote:

Playing Oninaki. I actually quite like it! It’s much much better than I Am Setsuna or Lost Sphear. Would be interested to hear others’ feedback for the game as well.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Oninaki, although completely different gameplay wise from either I Am Setsuna or Lost Sphear, feels like a step in the right direction. The music is what jumped out at me first. Considering the dark nature of the story, the music feels fitting. Love me some bitter-sweet piano tracks every now and then.

Gameplay wise, it's a little rough in the beginning. Bayonetta or DMC this game is not, there isn't an easy attack-dodge or roll button. Instead your equipped daemon determines your movement skill and subsequent attack skills. Nothing that can't be overcome by spacing your time correctly. Attack a few times, move, attack a few times, move, repeat.

The underlying rpg system is interesting. This feels like Bleach The Videogame, as originally intended, and not some 2D beat'em up/brawler. Having your equipped weapon tied to the daemon you're using is a cool twist. And being able to swap between daemons on the fly without having to access menus is very nice.

I like what I've sampled, enough to throw down a preorder for a physical copy later this evening.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

rallydefault

@JaxonH
They should have replaced these at the launch of the console or at the very least over a year ago. Done.

Every personal attack you made against me, just substitute yourself and there's my response lol

You obviously don't read my posts, so I'm not gonna waste any time trying to do a line-by-line defense. Anyone who knows my posts around here knows I'm one of the least "authoritarian" poster, and more than willing to change my viewpoint and see all sides. I've made more concessions on here than a hot dog stand at a baseball game.

You're just a yes man, and that's my opinion of you. I don't think we'd be friends in the real world, and that's fine lol

rallydefault

Magician

@rallydefault @JaxonH
Every major console provider has had issues with their product and been hit with a class action lawsuit. The RRoD for the 360, with over a 50% failure rate comes to mind first and foremost. The PS3 had it's issues as well. Technology breaks down, nothing lasts forever, unless we're talking about precious gems...which most technology products are not made of.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

darkfenrir

I mean I had my joycon drift too (both of them, a pair of grey and the original red-blue), and that's not great, and I can't have it repaired for free like you people with official Nintendo publisher, so I have no choice but to suck it up.

But overall, if Nintendo is willing to do the repairs for free and even refund, they can be applauded for that, doesn't matter it takes them this long, at least it's still within Switch lifespan lol

By the way, how many vouchers do you guys buy? I got 2 pairs myself, for Astral Chain, Dragon Quest XI S, Luigi Mansion 3 and Pokemon Shield. Man dropping $200 immediately when I was in tight budget isn't fun. But at least I'm going to buy nothing on PC until next year so... that's a bright side (?)

darkfenrir

Anti-Matter

My White Joy Cons also have Drifting issue. But fortunately, at my place (Indonesia) there was a video games repair shop that can fix my Joy Cons and it worked. They just only replace the left analog button with the new one and it cost around $ 9.00 to fix 1 Joy Con.

Anti-Matter

gcunit

Any free repair on an item that's out of warranty is a bonus in my book.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I don't know, I can't quite get into Oninaki. Granted, I've never really clicked with TRPG Factory's games...all of them feel kind of hollow and missing something to me, like it's a paint by numbers "build a moody RPG" guidebook they follow, but they never quite build the engaging characters and systems that suck me into an RPG. I can't put a finger on it, but while Oninaki feels different from I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear (granted, I haven't played much of Lost Sphear yet) I can't quite get into it either. There's just a shallowness to the whole feel of it where it feels like going through the motions, and the game is trying too hard to be thoroughly depressing, as TRPGF always does. I had my finger on the pre-order button with the 10% discount, since everything about it sounds like a big improvement from them, but after plodding with the demo a bit, I come away with it with the same feeling TRPGF gives me all the time.....I'll wait for deep discounts...or maybe until after I finish Lost Sphear...someday....if I do.

Also, with your feud with @rallydefault, that's surprising, he's one of the regulars and pretty chill members here. Stay away from the Pokemon threads...it's getting to your head. That said, his characterization of you as a "yes man" though harsh, be honest, it's also kind of true. Not everyone is a Pokemon fan boy out for your blood for liking a game, but even those of us that do like you and value your opinions, lets be real, we know your opinion on most things before you give it, and we know what side of any controversy you'll always be found on. You have, we'll say, a predictable enthusiasm for pretty much any new product, and rarely a critical view of any product. It probably serves a good purpose as a counter to the chronic negativity here, but it's still a valid criticism of your posts. Rally's one of the "good guys" here, no need for a feud over him pointing out a character attribute in your posts and most of us regulars are well familiar with, whether we agree or disagree of are somewhere in the middle

@-Green- I don't think Switch has overall accessory problems. I think Switch production at Foxconn has had serious QC problems, especially early, though. I don't think it was rushed so much as putting a lot of expensive pieces together at a price point it probably wasn't really a great fit for but was "possible", and corners got cut in fabrication and QC.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic