Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,821 to 41,840 of 69,981

JaxonH

What’s crazy is, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Zelda Link’s Awakening and Pokémon Sword and Shield look so good, and any other year would easily take the spotlight. But there’s just so many excellent Switch releases this year, those 3 feel like B-listers to me in comparison.

And that’s NOT a knock against those games. I really do think they look excellent, particularly Luigi’s Mansion 3. But compared to the hat trick of Fire Emblem, Astral Chain and Dragon Quest XI S (and DQ Builders 2 for good measure), they just shine a little less bright.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

I have a feeling astral chain Will be close to if not, GOTY

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

I can agree with that.

And while DQXIS may also be worthy, it’ll never be considered because of its previous release (doesn’t mean it’s not GotY quality though).

And while Fire Emblem will probably rock my socks off and is certain to be one of my picks, it’s still too niche to ever be considered for such a nomination (if it’s not Sony exclusive, it really doesn’t stand a chance of GotY as a more niche RPG). And I do think Fire Emblem will ultimately break 3 million this time, but that will only put it on par with Persona 5 sales wise, and as a Nintendo exclusive SRPG at that... and Nintendo exclusives don’t really stand a chance. Only Zelda or Mario are ever really considered. It seems evident to me the vast majority of people who vote prefer other platforms, or the game styles prevalent on other platforms, putting lesser known Nintendo exclusives at a gross disadvantage.

Look at Bayonetta 2. I loved Dragon Age Inquisition, I did, but Bayo2 was the better game (not a dig at DA though, I really, really did like that game). Of course, it was Dragon Age that won out. At least Bayonetta got acknowledged though, which was a rare anomaly.

We’ll see though. Maybe times are changing... but in the end, our personal GotY are all that matter anyways.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I could see Astral Chain be nominated, after all Bayonetta 2 did get nominated in 2014, winner I'm pretty sure will end up being Death Stranding though. If there's 2 games that sum up the Game Awards lifespan since its beginning in 2014, it's BotW and Death Stranding.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GeeEmm

Oninaki is up for preload on the Aus Eshop.
There’s also a demo available, it’s pretty good so far.

Edited on by GeeEmm

GeeEmm

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Oh of course. Keighly’s been holding Kojima’s belt as far back as I can remember. All he ever does is flatter the guy and act like they’re besties with a bromance.

I mean, the guy is certainly talented and makes good games, but Keighly and the other religious Kojima followers act like he’s the second coming, and I never really understood why. I like MGS quite a bit myself actually, but I’ve never considered it beyond just being... a really good game. About on par with Splinter Cell, which I also really like. But neither are good enough to be considered on a GotY kind of level (though I can appreciate how impressive MGS was in the PS2 days, just in terms of breaking the 4th wall and blazing new territory).

All this to say, I’ll eat my shorts if Keighly’s bestie Kojima doesn’t land GotY, regardless of where the game falls on the spectrum. And while the game looks incredibly interesting from a plot/setting perspective, I’m not sold on the gameplay being much beyond more of the same mainstream AAA fare. The one thing Kojima is good at is stealth- shooting mechanics and everything else was always pretty run of the mill (to be fair, the same was true of Splinter Cell, but both had such fun stealth they could get away with it). But... maybe I’m wrong. Who can say. These are just the rantings of a person jaded by the bias of populous mainstream opinion, disenfranchised by the blockbuster AAA story-driven modern mega-realism machine churning out million sellers on a weekly basis.

There’s actually a pretty good video which calls out the worship of Kojima, and while sensationalist it raises some excellent points. I think the person takes it a little far- after all I do think the man is talented and credit should be given where it’s due, but it’s nice to see an opposing viewpoint to the mindless idolizing. As with most things in life, listen to both sides and suss the truth out somewhere in the middle. That said, the David Hayter situation was shameful, and is what makes me personally not care for Kojima. In Hayter’s own words, after he was fired despite fans loving him as Snake, he told GameInformer that he felt Kojima “hated the attention he got as a good voice actor because he was supposed to be the rock star”, which is extremely consistent with what see see from his behavior.

1 min 50 sec mark is where the dialog begins...

Edited on by JaxonH

NintendoByNature

Oh yea death stranding will prob be nominated. I forgot about that as im a switch only owner. Same with dmc5 and re2 remake

NintendoByNature

darkfenrir

https://twitter.com/iiotenki/status/1133953133913096193?s=19

This is another great thread on how the West seems to look at Kojima to be honest, since I felt it and even the talk about how other Japanese games are treated is felt w/o putting Kojima on the table.

Nonetheless I'm super excited for FE, Astral, DQ, Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon. Man Switch need to spread out the releases please. Fall is always packed.

darkfenrir

Ralizah

Astral Chain won't win the bulk of the GOTY awards. They almost always go to some sort of third person action-adventure game. I think REmake 2, Sekiro, and Death Stranding will be the frontrunners. Despite it being an incredible year for the system, most of its games will get snubbed in favor of something far more violent and with more mainstream appeal.

Anyway, I heard the Oninaki demo is out in Europe and Australia. Any non-Americans here played it yet? I'm sure it'll release on the N/A eshop tomorrow, but I'm still eager to hear about it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah on the North American website it said demo available and its up for prepurchase too. Discounted at that.

NintendoByNature

EvilLucario

I haven't played Sekiro yet but it looks so up my alley I can't wait to play it after I finish Dark Souls II and III. It looks to take the best aspects of Dark Souls and Bloodborne to mesh it into an even better game.

DMC5 is phenomenal though. So far that's the best game of 2019 for me.

That said Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, and Daemon X Machina also look so up my alley. I think by the end, I'd say Astral Chain, Sekiro, DMC5, Fire Emblem, and even Daemon X Machina will be my GotY contenders for 2019, barring a huge surprise at the end of the year.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

BruceCM

Downloading now, @Ralizah .... I'm sure I'll like it, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

Gonna try Oninaki today after work. Seems the demo is live in NA

Tangerine

Not sure why but I'm anti-demo's. I never play them. I think it's an element of OCD. Not wanting an incomplete game tainting my switch library. Also an element of worrying it may spoil the game.

Silly really. I'm eager to hear if Onikaki is any good though

Tangerine

JaxonH

Wolfenstein Youngblood is back down to $32 and change on Amazon

Wolfenstein Youngblood Switch $32.84 Amazon

Edited on by JaxonH

Magician

I still don't trust the Play-Asia listing for Oninaki. I'll give the Japanese demo a whirl later tonight for personal confirmation before placing an order for a physical copy.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

DenDen

@JaxonH orderd!!
Not that im going to play it anytime soon though

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Ralizah

So I downloaded the demos for Ape Out, Oninaki, and Kill la Kill this morning.

I have a lot to try out!

Ralizah

So... Ape Out got old after five minutes. Glad there was a demo, because I certainly wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of dollars on it.

JaxonH

@AlternateButtons

Untitled

Let's just say...

I can't stop clicking the game icon trying to get it to launch, hoping they mistakenly allow a small early download slip through the cracks. 😏

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic