Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,721 to 41,740 of 69,981

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama weekly updates... Same patches, installed the same way.... Optional upgrades in 4 years... It really still sounds identical. Consoles imported the patches from pc. Same thing, same patch, and pc had that first..... Those parts even different at all

Edit yeah win10 patches are fun. I'm shocked you can still game on 7.... Used to have to upgrade for DX support every new windows.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia ? I don't see how an update overnight while I'm sleep is the same as every time I turn on my xbox SOMETHING has a 6GB patch. Or the game crashes. However to each their own. PC is easier to me, for you it would set your house on fire. It's cool.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

lets hope for planet robobot HD

Fire Emblem Three Houses is my favorite game
Ashe is the best character in FE:3H
Waluigi For Smash
The game I want most on switch is a new WarioWare (Welp. we got that!)
My favorite movie is Toy Story 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0370-6056-2926 | 3DS Friend Code: 3755-1656-4298 | My Nintendo: LatsaSpege

Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

OR 2!!!

Fire Emblem Three Houses is my favorite game
Ashe is the best character in FE:3H
Waluigi For Smash
The game I want most on switch is a new WarioWare (Welp. we got that!)
My favorite movie is Toy Story 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0370-6056-2926 | 3DS Friend Code: 3755-1656-4298 | My Nintendo: LatsaSpege

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama uhmm... Console updates are while you sleep, too.... It's literally not even the slightest bit different. It's identical almost to the megabyte....

Unless you have your pc always on in sleep mode with auto updates enabled in steam, but not your xbox? If so, that's not a console vs pc difference, that's a Ryus config difference

My xbox has 5tb of games on an external drive. It probably downs close to a tb a month on patches. I never know it, its just there.... Same as your pc. Same with ps4, but several tb less. Same with switch (ok my one switch has a weird thing that auto updates never seem to work ever since my smash corruption issue... That might be sd related... Just got a 512 from prime day I'll have to get to transferring! )

NEStalgia

rallydefault

@Therad
Overclocking blindly through your mobo is not for the faint of heart, nope, but plenty of software programs exist to make things easier. I typically go through the mobo and haven't had any meltdown issues in the last decade, but my point was that this recent software program took my computer out of commission (to the point where many "casual" users may have needed to take their computer in to a shop to get fixed).

@Ryu_Niiyama
I don't know if I fully believe you. Seriously - you can't remember a time when a game crashed on you? You must be playing almost exclusively Dota or Terraria or really old games that aren't taxing your system at all. If you haven't replaced your gpu in 4 years you're probably playing new AAA games on medium at the absolute highest. GPUs need to be replaced every 2-3 years if you want to be playing at: higher res, higher fps, AAA games, etc. What resolution is your monitor(s)? 1080?

rallydefault

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano truthfully I'll be getting both at some point. Xbox for me is the "cheap and easy gaming pc in a tiny power efficient chassis". Multiplats are all xb for me. And i have a ton invested in the library that will be bc. I don't really buy xbox for exclusives, though i enjoy them, i buy it for everything else.

But series like persona, Ys, the exclusives, and vr games will keep me in the ps ecosystem as well. Bc on both guarantees I'll stick with both, while no bc would have meant no incentive to stay with both.

However for me, switch is the star that gets the most attention due to Nintendo games and portability, XBox is for basically all other gaming, and PS is for the don't games neither gets and VR. If it weren't for the fact that the games i have on ps4 are mostly gigantic rpgs, it world probably get underused.

If i were to do pc again it would only replace the xboxs role.... But since the whole joy of xbox is it's basically a compact mini windows 10 box, it's kind of a toss.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Cotillion
I got Doom on Switch and it was pretty well unplayable for me

I found Doom to be the most playable on Switch. With a Pro Controller it’s same as any other console, on handheld it can be tough.

BUT.

That’s why they put gyro in. With gyro it is a vastly superior experience over standard dual analog controls, and while it may not quite reach the heights of mouse and keyboard, it’s 80% of the way there yet offers all the comfort and luxury of a controller or just playing in handheld mode. Dual analog gyro hybrid is the controls of the future- I don’t even want to play an FPS if I can’t play with gyro nowadays.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Cotillion

@JaxonH Well, like I said, props to anyone who can be somewhat accurate enough with it. I just can't do it, it's far too inaccurate. By the time I line up one shot, I can have made several with a kb/m. Some people are amazing shots with dual analog, it's true. Dual analog has a much longer practice curve, I imagine if I powered through it and kept trying I'd get to where you are with it, but when I have the option to go kb/m, I'm just gonna opt for that. I believe anyone could play an FPS with kb/m to a satisfying degree, while I don't believe the same is true of dual analog. That's driven home by some console games considering using a kb/m as cheating and banning users for it. They wouldn't consider it cheating if it didn't give quite an advantage.
Managing to get 80% of the accuracy and speed of kb/m in FPS isn't high enough for me. Applying that other genres and it's gamebreaking. Imagine playing Mario or classic Mega Man where the platforming is now only 80% as accurate and you can only get to that through a lot of practice. It just wouldn't be fun. I guess it'd be kinda like trying to play platformers with a kb/m (which I have tried and it's bloody awful).
I love the Switch and it's my go to platform over PC for anything I can get on it. RPGs, Indies, platformers, fighting games, pretty much anything except FPS (I've even double dipped quite a few games on Switch that I already have on Steam). So, I'm not joining in this PC VS console thing they have going on in this thread, it's just the PC control scheme itself I vastly prefer for FPS. Truth be told, if I could plug a kb/m into my Switch dock and use it 'officially' on FPS games without fear of ever being banned in multiplayer, I would

The gyro did improve it for me somewhat, and when it was added was when I went back to it and got through it. Of all the console options, I've no doubt that the Switch version is the most playable due to having the gyro assist.

Edited on by Cotillion

Cotillion

Ryu_Niiyama

@rallydefault Well you are most certainly welcome to believe whatever you wish. My words have no bearing on that. Have a pleasant day.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia yeah my xbox almost always has updates when I boot it up. I suspect that AC Sparta is to blame. Still I have not had a smooth ride with the twins. Many of the updates are quite large and I don’t have the best internet on the planet. And it was worse last year. Also I don’t do steam. GOG or cracks. And yes I keep my cracks up to date. Like I said that is how I feel about modern console gaming. It is frustrating and I don’t encounter that frustration on PC. Everyone has different experiences.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama are you sure you have "instant on" and not "power save" in the power settings, as well as "automatically update (games, software, can't remember which level they use)"?

Instant on is the same as pc sleep and your games should update as well if auto updates is also enabled. And it suspends game state like switch and 3ds. "Power save" is the same as "shutdown" with the adv. power settings disabling sleep and hibernate on a pc.... No updates happening while you're not there.

If your pc is auto updating games, it's on or in sleep. If x1 isn't, it must either be set to power save instead of instant on, or not set to auto update.

There is ONE exception I've seen, and maybe AC is the same. Train Sim World would auto update the main game, but when you run it, it would tell you each individual dlc needed an update. That's a publisher fail. It's not supposed to work that way. I suspect the PC version does the same though.... The dlc works like an mmo or something.

Game patches are the same huge on all platforms. Os updates.... Well, x1 is win 10...soo.. Yeah, enjoy 7 without 5 g8g os updates all the time . I miss it.....

(Edited my phone scribble to read less like an Anti post )

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@Cotillion I love gyro aiming but I agree that mouse + keyboard is my preferred way to play shooters. Traditional dual analog, I just can't do it. Sony exclusives like God of War 2018 and Horizon Zero Dawn which relies on aiming are extremely hamstrung for me and I don't know why Sony refuses to use gyro when some of their other games like Gravity Rush USES it...

But for shooters, I'd go PC > Switch > PS4, even if Switch is at 30fps compared to PS4 at 60fps.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Therad

JaxonH wrote:

@Cotillion
I got Doom on Switch and it was pretty well unplayable for me

I found Doom to be the most playable on Switch. With a Pro Controller it’s same as any other console, on handheld it can be tough.

BUT.

That’s why they put gyro in. With gyro it is a vastly superior experience over standard dual analog controls, and while it may not quite reach the heights of mouse and keyboard, it’s 80% of the way there yet offers all the comfort and luxury of a controller or just playing in handheld mode. Dual analog gyro hybrid is the controls of the future- I don’t even want to play an FPS if I can’t play with gyro nowadays.

While I still see kb/mouse as superior in fps games, gyro have made them much more palatable. It takes a while to get used to, but it is well worth it.

In a game like Splatoon I don't think kb/mouse would have been better because you don't need precision in the same way. Other games cheat a whole lot on consoles by making it easier to hit. You don't need to have the enemy in the crosshair, just close enough.

Therad

Therad

rallydefault wrote:

@Therad
Overclocking blindly through your mobo is not for the faint of heart, nope, but plenty of software programs exist to make things easier. I typically go through the mobo and haven't had any meltdown issues in the last decade, but my point was that this recent software program took my computer out of commission (to the point where many "casual" users may have needed to take their computer in to a shop to get fixed).

@Ryu_Niiyama
I don't know if I fully believe you. Seriously - you can't remember a time when a game crashed on you? You must be playing almost exclusively Dota or Terraria or really old games that aren't taxing your system at all. If you haven't replaced your gpu in 4 years you're probably playing new AAA games on medium at the absolute highest. GPUs need to be replaced every 2-3 years if you want to be playing at: higher res, higher fps, AAA games, etc. What resolution is your monitor(s)? 1080?

Just because something is simplified, doesn't mean it should be done.

You also don't need to upgrade every 2-3 years anymore than you need to upgrade your consoles with the next refresh. The so called AAA titles follow the console cycles and have been doing it for the last decade. And those usually have a couple of years old tech in them.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

HobbitGamer

I’ve tried gyro on a couple Switch games and I just can’t get the hang of it. I always end up fighting against it with the sticks. Is it because I’m using a pro instead of split joycon? I want to ‘get’ what everyone likes, but I keep feeling like I must be doing it wrong.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

redd214

@HobbitGamer same here, I tried very hard to get used to the gyro controls when playing Zelda and others but just doesn't click for me either.

redd214

Ralizah

Mouse aiming is probably slightly better than gyro aiming for me, but I detest using a keyboard to control my character, so it's a very happy compromise for me to play my PC/Switch games with gyro enabled. Pure twin stick shooting really sucks, though, and I won't play games with a heavy emphasis on shooting on consoles unless I got the game for free or its an exclusive.

@HobbitGamer I don't like gyro with split joycons unless I'm playing first-person rail shooters like Gal Gun. Otherwise, i vastly prefer gyro controls when the controllers are connected via the grip or are otherwise connected my system in handheld mode.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Therad

@HobbitGamer sounds like you are overusing the gyro. Use the sticks but use the gyro for fine-tuning your movements. You get a much smoother movement this way.

Therad

BougieBeetle

So I was on a long bus trip for work yesterday and me, my buddy next to me, and the guy behind us all had Switches out at the same time (I was playing N. Sane Trilogy, friend beside me Mario Odyssey, guy behind us Breath of the Wild). It just warmed my heart to see three fellas who didn't coordinate at all, all yanking out Switches to play different games. I've read about how ubiquitous the Switch is becoming, but moments like that really drive it home for me!

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic