Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,641 to 41,660 of 45,914

JaxonH

@Arbor
Um? I guess I have no feelings on that matter, one way or the other. As someone who isn’t really a fan of the series, I guess I just have no emotional investment in team names.

But, there’s some exciting stuff in there!

While in the Wild Area, you will “randomly see nearby players and interact with them to get their league cards and items.”

Camping will be a mechanic, and is where you will play with Pokemon. It will also let you make curry to raise stats and use toys to raise friendship.

These two are especially of note to me. Sounds like they took some Breath of the Wild and sprinkled it in there, and then took some classic Monster Hunter guild card exchanging and socializing and sprinkled that in there too.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest XI S, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Astral Chain

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Ralizah

JaxonH wrote:

I’m flabbergasted... truly. This is legitimate as they come- the “Breath of the Wild” of Pokémon. They weren’t exaggerating.

I wouldn't go that far. It's not going to be a BotW-tier experience.

It does look great, though. Legitimately the most exciting Pokemon game in generations. I'm glad this Direct is finally getting people excited for it.

Pokemon looks great. Fire Emblem looks great. Dragon Quest XI S looks great. Astral Chain looks great. Even if Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion disappointed (I don't expect they will), this is going to be a fantastic year for Nintendo.

Oh, and Super Mario Maker 2 is a thing as well, I guess. And Link's Awakening. And that superhero game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

HobbitGamer

@JaxonH wow, all that would get me back into playing, honestly.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I don’t know what “tier” experience it will be. I don’t think it’s going to rake 10/10’s across the board and be hailed as one of the greatest video games of all time, for example. But it doesn’t have to see a verbatim reception or reach that “tier of experience” to fit the comparison. Breath of the Wild breathed new life into a dated formula and brought the franchise into the modern generation with a gorgeous game representing a proper forward leap, and that’s exactly what I see happening here. I don’t think any game is going to match the “tier” of experience of Zelda.

I’m excited for all the above, and was stacking up on vouchers with eShop credit from Raise, until they told me I had too many vouchers and I couldn’t buy anymore (I have 7, so I’m guessing eight is the limit and another set would have put me at 9). As soon as Fire Emblem goes up for preorder, I’m gonna squeeze in one last set, provided that happens before they stop selling the vouchers of course.

Seems you’re not too interested in Mario Maker 2, Zelda and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. I’m excited for all three of those nearly as much as the rest though. Had a blast with Mario Maker, and made some truly awesome levels a lot of people liked. With just the right amount of challenge. I look forward to making some high-quality levels for people to enjoy. And Zelda, well... it’s perfect. Loved Link Between Worlds, and this has that same kind of style. I’ve never played this game either so I’m really looking forward to it. And Marvel, my brother is excited for it so naturally I want to play some co-op with him. That’s just a game where it’s fun to play as all your favorite characters with a friend in co-op.

But ya, the ones that are really hype, I’d say, are Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Dragon Quest XI, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Pokémon, Zelda. The splendid six. With Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Town, Daemon X Machina, Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Animal Crossing (yes I have a secret adoration of this game- sometimes you just need a relaxing game where you do nothing) as the secondary six.

That Pokémon though. That game looks fire. It really puts the cherry on top of the 2019 exclusive lineup

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest XI S, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Astral Chain

Jesus is Lord.

BruceCM

I'll be probably the only 1 here not getting Sword or Shield.... Pre-ordered FE: 3 Houses before it even had a name, though Been waiting for DQ S for ages & also looking forward to Astral Chain

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Therad

BruceCM wrote:

I'll be probably the only 1 here not getting Sword or Shield.... Pre-ordered FE: 3 Houses before it even had a name, though Been waiting for DQ S for ages & also looking forward to Astral Chain

Nah, I am not getting it. The direct didn't excite me enough to want it.

Fe is more up my alley though, but I want some more info on gameplay before buying.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

RedderRugfish

I'm actually not terribly interested in what's coming up despite knowing how big of a deal they are. I'll probably be skipping Pokemon, Link's Awakening, and Fire Emblem. So far no plans to buy Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion but I'll decide once we actually know more about them.

Definitely buying Mario Maker, Dragon Quest 11, and Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

toiletduck

@JaxonH @Ralizah there's a lot of comparison going on between S/S and BOTW. In a way that makes sense. There's one thing not a lot of people are mentioning when they're 'complaining' there's not enough BOTW in the new pokemon: all the stuff that -is- in pokemon but -isn't- in BOTW (e.g. lots of different pokemon you can catch 😉). Not saying you're the ones complaining or anything, just mentioning that I notice it's a one way comparison most of the time.

toiletduck

Octane

I don't think it's anywhere near BOTW, and that's coming from me

This games will sell 15 million guaranteed, and being the first "big" Pokemon game on the telly, probably 20 million. On top of that, there's going to be a third and fourth version probably. This franchise makes so much money, but it's a shame that it still feels like a B-tier game in terms of budget. It pales in comparison to something like Mario Odyssey, Zelda or even Splatoon imo. I'm not saying that it looks like a 3DS game, but at the same time it doesn't feel like a big budget game either.

At least the new Pokemon look good though.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Nintendo 2nd half of 2019 but getting more info at E3 about the announced games may change that. Right now I'd guess my top 5 GotY 2019 list will end up being:
1. Super Mario Maker 2
2. Halo Reach
3. Astral Chain
4. Team Sonic Racing (while very fun SEGA would need to fix the online issues for this to be higher, getting disconnected and/or system crashing often is not fun)
5. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe/Crash Team Racing

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

I'm hoping for an interesting E3, cos 2019 isn't doing it for me.

Mario Maker 2 - I'd like to have it but can't justify a full price going by the limited amount (c.20 hours) I've played the original.

Fire Emblem - I'm open to more graphical styles than ever, but I need a game to appeal to me visually one way or another, and this one looks like dog ****.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - give me a reason to expect something different about it.

Astral Chain - just on the fence - looks a bit of a mish-mash of ideas, wondering if there'll be anything defining about it.

Pokemon S&S - still looks like a 3DS game, needs to stretch itself more to get me hyped.

Animal Crossing - not been given any reason to expect much different to New Leaf, which I've struggled to appreciate. Potential's there but the gameplay is too limited from what I've seen.

Dragon Quest is what I'm most hyped about, but I've got most of DQB still to play and a huge backlog of main series games to play before I should be allowing myself to invest further.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

Yikes. Fire Emblem may not be a visual spectacle given the type of game it is, but it’s perfectly adequate and still the best looking game in the series to date. To say it looks like **** seems to be either wild hyperbole or an impossible standard has been set. I think the game looks fantastic. Excellent art style with snazzy new redesigned menus and ground level grid lines. This one has a bit of the Tecmo Koei environment textures which, ok, they’re not the best. But as a whole the game does actually look pretty good, especially when you compare to previous entries like Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn.

But saying Pokémon still looks like a 3DS game almost seems like intentional trolling at this point. As if Breath of the Wild still looks like Ocarina of Time 3D. The biggest leap forward the series has ever seen in 20 years, with a release that visually takes even the most beautiful Switch games to task (even Zelda, which I think is probably the only Switch game that might surpass this one in terms of beauty). Visible Pokémon in the Wild with huge, open areas, full camera control, multiplayer raids online... that’s already stretching the game about as far as it can feasibly go.

What Pokémon on 3DS looks like
Untitled

Not what Pokémon on 3DS looks like
Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

The final of the ARMS Party Crash Bash tournament starts next week (June 14th). Alongside Splatfests ending potentially meaning Splatoon 3, I wonder if the end of this tournament means ARMS 2.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@JaxonH I don't know if it's ever possible for any one Pokemon game to be as polished or make as big of a splash as something like BotW or SMO, just because the series is so vested in gradual change. Which is fine. An annual series with a huge, established metagame doesn't have the luxury of taking five years between entries, or putting out something radically different. People who want some majorly ambitious new Pokemon game, I hate to say, don't understand the type of game it is. I'm impressed with what I've seen so far, though. I was expecting less, so I'm very, very happy with what I've seen. And yeah, saying Pokemon Sw/Sh look like 3DS games is openly ridiculous. I'll even go so far as to say that they're one of the better looking sets of games on the system. The clean, anime-esque character models, vibrant environments, and gorgeous shading really make the world of Sw/Shi pop in a way that previous entries just didn't.

And yeah, Fire Emblem: Three Houses might not be Uncharted 4 visually (and honestly, I wouldn't want it to be: ultra realism is overrated and too resource-intensive), but its look is very much in line with what I imagine a modern successor to the Gamecube and Wii games would look like. More importantly, I'm really happy with the free roaming around the campus. Getting a huge, to-scale environment like that in a Fire Emblem game is a big advancement for the series.

Assuming Animal Crossing looks good, my BIG games the rest of the year will be: Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pokemon Sw/Sh, Dragon Quest XI S, Animal Crossing, and Shantae 5. There's also a lot of games I'm interested in, but not sure how much I'll end up loving: Astral Chain, Luigi's Mansion 3, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Death Stranding, AI: The Somnium Files, etc. They're ALL interesting to me, though. It's rare to get a year with this many big releases I'm interested in.

Mario Maker 2 is... well, I'm sure it'll be fantastic for what it is. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually, too. But it's nothing I'm excited for. Community-built levels are no substitute for actual Mario levels in a real Mario game. When I played the Wii U original, it seemed like the majority of them were troll levels, overly difficult, gimmicks, or else just poorly-made, and I don't expect that to change with this entry. And I've discovered that good level design isn't one of my strengths, so the creativity engine aspect of the game isn't hugely interesting for me, either.

Link's Awakening on Switch is adorable looking, but I'm not excited about paying full price for a short Game Boy game. It's also one of my least favorite games in the series, and several aspects of the game design openly irritated me when I played it. Given that it was my first Zelda game, it might explain why it took me such a long time to play the rest of the series (I didn't REALLY try another game in the series until Ocarina of Time 3D in 2011).

The Marvel game... yeah, I'm probably never playing that. Not a huge superhero fan to begin with, and this one looks like a game I'd play on my Android phone. I just don't see the appeal. At all.

Ralizah

Octane

@JaxonH This looks way better...
Untitled

than this:
Untitled

I just think there's so much potential, but it feels like they're playing it safe. I thought BOTW was kinda empty and sparse, but this takes the cake. Again, there's a ton of untapped potential, but I don't think Game Freak will ever go that far. It's alright, but I don't think it looks amazing or anything like that. And I don't know why it needs to be so low budget at times, this is going to make its money back guaranteed; even if they throw a 50 million at it.

Octane

Zuljaras

@Octane I agree. Pokémon fans like us will throw money at it whether we like it or not, but still we have to point the flaws when we see them.
The world looks empty. Especially this zone with the free camera.

Zuljaras

Grumblevolcano

The world being empty is very standard for open world games, one of the reasons why everything shouldn't be striving for open world.

Grumblevolcano

Ralizah

Emptiness is fine. It depends on how it's utilized. BotW has a lot of open space, but it feels very freeing in that game. Both because there's always something to find or do and because the environments are stunning and can be interacted with.

Other games don't work out as well. Fallout 4 just felt boring and empty. As much as I loved NieR: Automata, that game should never have had an open world to explore, because there's pretty much nothing to see or do other than kill enemies and pick up loot drops.

I'll wait and see how Pokemon actually utilizes its space before I render a verdict.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Anti-Matter

@Octane
Remember, the game (Pokemon Sword/Shield) is not the final footage.
Still 5 months to go to optimize the game aspetcs.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic