Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 40,961 to 40,980 of 43,614

Morpheel

Has Nintendo ever released more than one Mario Kart in any system (outside of virtual console and backwards compatibility)?

I get the impression that it’s one of those series where they don’t want to have too many concurrent options.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AlternateButtons

@Morpheel No but Nintendo has broken trends before.

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

Magician

AlternateButtons wrote:

@Magician Again, I'll never understand why people quote high sales figures as a reason against a sequel. That logic is utterly stupid. Mario Kart isn't GTA. And for the Switch to not have its own exclusive Mario Kart is also asinine. I guess we shouldn't get another Zelda game on Switch huh?

Why does the Switch need MK9 so badly? I would like for you to expound on that. It's not as though a MK game developed on Switch hardware specifically is somehow going to be significantly better than MK8D.

As for Zelda? Besides the fact that Link's Awakening is coming? (Not sure if you're trying to bait me there or...something?) But Breath of the Wild did take more than five years to develop. So from a perspective of logistics, I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch didn't get a BotW sequel. Nevermind the fact that I think it's the worst game in the series (sans the Phillips CD-I Zelda games), but that opinion is in the minority.

Edit: Sentence cleanup, and I forgot the Phillips CD-I Zelda games.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 364 games (as of July 16th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

AlternateButtons

@Magician Because the Switch is Nintendo's most successful console since the Wii. I'm sorry but I want a Mario Kart game built from the ground up and with the hardware in mind. I don't want a damn port to be THE Mario Kart for its entire life cycle. And yes, building games with the hardware in mind does make them better, you're crazy if you think otherwise. They can take advantage of its unique features, do more with HD rumble and of course develop a prettier and more unique looking game because of familiarity with the hardware. Think about the upgrade from Sash Wii U to Smash Ultimate. And again, Mario Kart 8 is almost 5 years old, it's time to move on and create something new.

Uh except Nintendo has confirmed another mainline Zelda IS in development and has gone on record saying they want to make Zelda's as a faster pace. Not to mention, BOTW only took 5 years because its physics and world needed to be built from the ground up. Every Zelda before it was a modified version of the Ocarina engine. They spent millions developing its physics system and interconnected systems. You're telling me they're going to throw that new engine away and NOT develop a new Zelda with it? I doubt that.

Edited on by AlternateButtons

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

link3710

@AlternateButtons @Magician I'm gonna take a third stance. Instead of making yet another Mario Kart (yay?), they could put those resources into making a different sort of kart racing game. As much fun as MKWii, MK7 and MK8 are, I feel like the series hasn't advanced at all since Mario Kart DS. Why not let the team go loose on a new Diddy Kong Racing, or a new fantastic racer in general, where they aren't restricted by what's come before.

link3710

Magician

AlternateButtons wrote:

@Magician Because the Switch is Nintendo's most successful console since the Wii. I'm sorry but I want a Mario Kart game built from the ground up and with the hardware in mind. I don't want a damn port to be THE Mario Kart for its entire life cycle. And yes, building games with the hardware in mind does make them better, you're crazy if you think otherwise. They can take advantage of its unique features, do more with HD rumble and of course develop a prettier and more unique looking game because of familiarity with the hardware. Think about the upgrade from Sash Wii U to Smash Ultimate. And again, Mario Kart 8 is almost 5 years old, it's time to move on and create something new.

Uh except Nintendo has confirmed another mainline Zelda IS in development and has gone on record saying they want to make Zelda's as a faster pace. Not to mention, BOTW only took 5 years because its physics and world needed to be built from the ground up. Every Zelda before it was a modified version of the Ocarina engine. They spent millions developing its physics system and interconnected systems. You're telling me they're going to throw that new engine away and NOT develop a new Zelda with it? I doubt that.

As much as I love the Switch I don't agree that it needs a new entry in the MK series, even though your point of view is valid. As for the BotW sequel that Monolith Soft is working on? It might use the same engine that BotW used, Monolith Soft had a major hand in the creation of BotW's world after all. But it could easily be something new all together. We don't know any details yet.

However, Nintendo has expressed that they'd like to make Zelda an annual franchise. But I believe that means that Nintendo intends to outsource the Zelda IP more than any other franchise. Which is why we're getting Link's Awakening from Grezzo and Cadence of Hyrule from Brace Yourself Games. And not necessarily make mainline games year after year after year.

Switch Physical Collection - 364 games (as of July 16th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Magician

link3710 wrote:

@AlternateButtons @Magician I'm gonna take a third stance. Instead of making yet another Mario Kart (yay?), they could put those resources into making a different sort of kart racing game.

They are, Mario Kart Tour for iOS. lulz But all kidding aside, Nintendo does have other racing franchises. Excitebike, Wave Race, F-Zero, etc. I'd much rather see a new entry for one of those games over MK9.

Switch Physical Collection - 364 games (as of July 16th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

link3710

@Magician I hope you're right about the yearly bit. Having spinoffs, remakes and outsourced titles to keep the series going without a full entry each year is the way to go. It's how Kirby works, and that series has been annual since like, 1992 with one or two exceptions, and you don't see people complain (well, much anyways). 2019's lack of a Kirby game is honestly really strange.

link3710

AlternateButtons

@Magician What about something like Mario kart Ultimate? Where they rebuild EVERY track and bring back EVERY character?

It could be something new but it would be a total waste if they didnt reuse anything from BOTW. That physics system in particular took the dev team a loooong time to work out.

@link3710 I'd be down for a new F-Zero or Waverace game.

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

Knuckles-Fajita

AlternateButtons wrote:

Because the Switch is Nintendo's most successful console since the Wii.

To use your quote...

AlternateButtons wrote:

quote high sales figures as a reason against a sequel. That logic is utterly stupid

If using high sales of software to justify not spending money to make another game, and thus not make as much profit per unit in the short to mid term, as is the capitalist goal our society has set out for profit focused corporations, is asinine to you...then let me ask.

How is using high sales of hardware, driving by the proven high sales of existing software that continue to remain high and thus generate more profit than a developed sequel, any better?

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Website: https://bit.ly/2Ikg7U0

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Knuckles-Fajita

@link3710 2019 had a Kirby game. It was a port mind.

Reminds me of a few of the Wii years was filled eith an anniversary collection, or GBA remakes back in that time.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Website: https://bit.ly/2Ikg7U0

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

HobbitGamer

@AlternateButtons I don't think it's so much high sale figures prevents another entry, as opposed to healthy continued sales reduces the need for a new entry right away. Maybe looking at it through the "New to me" aspect for Switch buyers that didn't play WiiU gives Nintendo some breathing room before all those folks also want a new Kart.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Dogorilla

There's been a Mario Kart game every 3 years since 2005 so if that trend continues we'll get one in 2020, but I don't think it will because the fact Nintendo only has one current console now (as opposed to a home console and a handheld) means most recurring patterns like that will get thrown out the window, plus Mario Kart Tour is supposed to be coming out this year. I don't think MK9 will be a Switch game since MK games are usually released within the first 2 years of a console's lifespan so they can keep selling for years as evergreen titles. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Currently Playing: Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch), Pokémon Conquest (DS), Severed (Wii U), The Sims 4 (PC)

AlternateButtons

@Knuckles-Fajita Because high sales of hardware should equal better support? Duh? Why are we acting like sequels are the spawn of Satan all of a sudden? Success should welcome more support, this is logic 101 here.

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

Magician

NintendoByNature wrote:

@DarthNocturnal gotcha sorry I never played sonic racing games yet.

The first two are great Mario Kart-clones, although not as amazing as Crash Team Racing. However, all the hands-on previews I've heard about the new Sonic Team Racing...haven't been very positive. A lot of comparisons are being made to Trailblazers, the team-oriented racer released last year. It's kind of..."meh".

Switch Physical Collection - 364 games (as of July 16th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

NintendoByNature

@Magician interesting, thankfully I didn't have my eyes on it. Especially with what's releasing around the same time as it

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

I think the Zelda being annual comments is going to be a case of taking advantage of ports/remasters/remakes. So like let's say for example the Switch lasts as long as the 3DS (8 years), I'd guess we'd end up with these (first 3 are already known):

  • BotW (already confirmed, 2017)
  • Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition (already confirmed, 2018)
  • Link's Awakening (already confirmed, 2019)
  • Wind Waker HD (Wii U port)
  • Twilight Princess HD (Wii U port)
  • Skyward Sword HD (Wii remaster)
  • BotW 2 (new game using the BotW engine)
  • Oracle of Ages/Seasons (GB remake using the Link's Awakening engine)

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

@Grumblevolcano bring em all. Im not complaining, unless it's a triforce hero's style game that's unplayable as single player, Then ill complain. I dont mind if they implement multiplayer zelda but at the very least don't make single player a hassle

And really i think skyward sword and the 2 n64 games need a remaster before tp and ww.. granted, they had the 3d remaster but no home console remaster. Those are long over due.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic