Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 40,961 to 40,980 of 41,751

Anti-Matter

@Octane
Luckily, i have very few Switch eshop only games that captivated me, maybe 2 or 3 titles (Farm Together, 99Vidas, Catastronauts) 😉

Hopefully those games will be released in physical in the future because 99Vidas has ever been released in physical for PS4 & PS Vita by LRG.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

1UP_MARIO

I buy physical retail games and I buy digital eshop or indie games.

I play what I like
I buy what I like
Be it physical or digital or
Phigital

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

subpopz

I don't care about the medium anymore. The game is what matters.
The only thing that bothers me about digital games (or physical games that require a download) is the vocal minority who go extreme in their reaction. One of the last articles had people wishing the company bankruptcy, that the game fails, etc....over the distribution. Really? Nevermind if it's a fantastic game or not.
If people want to deny themselves great games due to the distribution method, power to them, but at this point, I may as well read Youtube comment sections. It's about the same level when it comes to that.

subpopz

WebHead

@subpopz makes yoy wonder if sone of these people ever wonder if they just might take their hobby a bit too seriously.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

HobbitGamer

@1UP_MARIO @subpopz @WebHead
I second all that. Like someone says to a sore loser; “It’s just a game, calm down” 😂

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ReaderRagfish

The analogy I use is that the game is exactly the same regardless of whether you go physical or digital, unlike how reading an ebook is not quite the same as reading a hardcover.

I always buy physical games, but am aware that it's just a personal preference to me and nothing more.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

JaxonH

@OorWullie
That could work. I just wonder what the consequences would be when someone undocks their switch and forgets the game they’re playing isn’t actually on the SD card. You know that would happen all the time

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Dragon’s Dogma, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, Trials Rising
X1: Trials Evolution
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/PSVR//Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Tsurii

So.. Apparently Ubisoft pull their Wii U games from the eShop in Japan. Wonder what that's about, and whether it'll be the same worldwide, but i thought I'd bring it up here, considering y'all were talking about physical vs digital. Goes to show yet again how unreliable digital anything can be.
And it really won't matter whatsoever why they do that either, the games are gonna be gone in that form, including at least one that isn't available otherwise on that particular platform (Cloud berry Kingdom. I think Child of Light got a physical release at some point?)

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Octane

@Tsurii It could be that third party publishers need to pay a fee to have their games up on the eShop. That's not too uncommon. And if nobody is buying Ubisoft games on Wii U in Japan, it's a just a money drain. I don't think it's a lot if that's the case, but you know how these companies are. Every penny counts.

Octane

Anti-Matter

Digital download games = Convenient BUT Very High Risk to be lost forever once the service has been shutted down.
Here my thought, Convenience = Disaster.
Old school ways are still better than Convenience.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

subpopz

Anti-Matter wrote:

Digital download games = Convenient BUT Very High Risk to be lost forever once the service has been shutted down.
Here my thought, Convenience = Disaster.
Old school ways are still better than Convenience.

I see this all the time and it's nonsensical to me. Where are these indestructible carts with built in GPS so they never get lost?
All carts have finite lifespan. Be it age, loss, damage, theft, whatever. If one suffers such a fate, you can rebuy it. Digital is no different. If I lose my SD card or whatever, I can rebuy it in physical if it's not on the shop. Granted, if my SD card suffers that fate I lose more than one game, but someone losing their case with a dozen games in it loses theirs too. If it happens now, my games can be redownloaded for nothing. Guy who lost his case, he's gotta rebuy them all.
Either way, it's a scenario that's a decade or more away and both deal with loss that can happen to either physical or digital. Digital games aren't suddenly going to stop working if/when the shop goes down. Whatever I have downloaded will work just as long as carts will. It's only the scenario of loss that this argument covers and in either case, can be repurchased physically (while still missing content ranging from minor DLC to half the game).

And that's only one scenario. Here's another - given all 3 major systems are using common architecture now, backward compatibility is very easy compared to the past. There's little to no reason to remove games from the eShop as they still work and will still sell on the new system. Other than greed, there's no reason the digital library wouldn't still be accessible on the successor system using the same architecture.
So take that scenario and add a bit of spice - Switch 2 uses different carts and they don't include the port for them. Digital libraries carry over and physical do not.
Likely? Not initially. They'd include the port on the initial model, but knowing Nintendo, they'd cut that port on any subsequent remodels.

If someone wants to stand by physical, power to them. Collect away, it's a fine hobby. But the extreme notion that games will be lost forever (when both formats can be lost just as easily) or the extreme stance that companies doing it should go bankrupt and their games fail is just ridiculous.

subpopz

JaxonH

I think the fact Wii U was such a failure, and yet only one company is pulling games in one country, is a sign that digital isn’t the risk some make it out to be.

The Wii shop lasted 15 years and it was a rental. I’m pretty sure now that home console and handheld have been consolidated, and future systems will be BC compatible (they just had to move away from the dated PowerPC of previous gens), and a permanent eShop, it could last 25+ years (which is like, a third of a lifetime). And even then, you can back up your games on as many devices and SD as you want. And if 10-15 years passes and you start getting nervous that your system is just going to magically stop working without the chance to transfer, you can buy a spare Switch for $100 (just like GC was $100 late in its life) and do a transfer. The fact you won’t be playing your system very much at that point means that second one will last you the rest of your natural life.

It’s all just a bunch of theory, “in theory this could happen”. In practice though I just don’t see any issues

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Dragon’s Dogma, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, Trials Rising

Jesus is Lord.

Magician

Nothing lasts forever. Personally, I view this hobby as a disposable luxury. No different than spending several hundred dollars on fine dining or a sporting event. Physical collecting is great, you have a tactile representation of your favorite passtime. But physical media can be easily stolen or damaged beyond being usable.

Digital collecting is also great. The convenience far outweighs the negative consequence of losing access to your digital purchases a decade or so down the road. Unfortunately, game preservation is an afterthought in this industry. How many people are going to be worried about the inability to play Starlink once the servers go offline? Not many.

Switch Physical Collection - 327 games (as of May 17th, 2019)
Currently playing: Final Fantasy XII (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Monster Hunter World (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Grumblevolcano

@subpopz I think which one lasts longer depends on the console. Digital games have the shortest lifespan on Nintendo consoles and that's because of how Nintendo sets up their account system. Don't get me wrong, the digital setup on non-Nintendo systems isn't perfect (see PT demo on PS4) but for the most part you're a lot more likely to keep your digital stuff on a non-Nintendo system.

On Xbox and Playstation, the main advantage of physical is to do with the installation process whether you have data caps present, download speeds, just want faster install time, etc. though some of these are being increasingly reduced due to massive updates. Meanwhile there's plenty of other concerns when it comes to Nintendo systems because of things like losing the ability to redownload stuff if they're delisted (see Brain Training Wii U), microSD cards being a lot more expensive than external hard drives and how Nintendo handles ports (see Tropical Freeze Wii U when Switch version happened).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

You know what I might do?

Just buy the cover art for Switch 2 games, slide it in an empty case (like the ones I posted here for Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX) and buy digital. For $6 (plus cost of cases) it seems a much cheaper option than buying both physical and digital. On 3DS I simply hacked my system and dumped my physical collection to SD card so as to avoid having to purchase games twice (which admittedly can be abused but I use that power responsibly). I just don’t want to hack my Switch. The days of hacking consoles for me is pretty much over due to the necessary online aspect. It’s fine and dandy at the end of the generation when no more games are coming out and nobody’s playing online, but during the generation it’s just not something I’m willing to give up. And while I could always do it to a separate Switch, having games split between two systems (purchases on one, virtual console on the other) seems to defeat the purpose. The only truly viable option is to wait until the generation ends, but even then I’m not sure if I want to because my account is associated with all my purchases, and that Nintendo Account Will carry forward to future systems. I don’t want to put that account in jeopardy.

I suppose at the end of the generation it’s possible to mod a separate system, then transfer all purchased games over to the separate system and just use that, but... that’s a truckload of work and, at that point we’ll probably be using Switch 2 anyways, so why bother. Like, I can finally mod my Vita now. I have the latest FW that’s still vulnerable so I could easily take 30 min and be able to FINALLY use microSD on Vita via one of those adapters on eBay, but at this point I just don’t play Vita anymore, and have no motivation to even bother.

Maybe it’s me getting older, but I’ve just lost the desire to do any of that stuff anymore. As much as I would love to have SNES and GBA and GC on Switch... eh. I’ll just use the GPD Win 2 and call it a day.

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

ReaderRagfish

Many people used the recent closure of the Wii Shop Channel as an example of how stuff obtained from digital stores will eventually become unobtainable. But I'm friends with some pretty highly respected people in the Wii hacking community who can send me access to 3 different privately owned cloud drives where I can get literally any game that was ever on the Wii shop.

The point is, digital stuff isn't necessarily always eventually lost forever. As long as there are people who care enough to find ways to restore the lost functionality, it'll always be out there somewhere.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Illusion

I get Switch and xbox one games physical when I can now. Switch because I try to save on hard drive space and Xbox One because the disc normally go on sale more than digital. It doesn't bother me to purchase something digitally if that's the only way it's distributed. Next gen I'm going all digital, just for convenience sake.

Illusion

JaxonH

Plus Nintendo has a pretty decent 5% back program now, on top of actual half-decent regular sales (such as the one going on right now). Not that I wait for sales anyways, but I know a lot of people do.

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

rallydefault

@ReaderRagfish
Yea, that's true and all, but the majority of people aren't going to bother to research to find cloud drives and stuff like that. Goes back to the old internet forum rule: We tend to be the "best and brightest," lol - the people who are really into the hobby and go beyond just powering on the console and playing the games. We may know about stuff like that and consider them easy to find/use/whatever, but most people by far would be totally in the dark.

I'm not a digital end-of-the-world person, though. Digital is fine. I'll stay physical as long as I can for as much as I can, but I'm not kicking and screaming like some people. Digital is not going away from the looks of it at the moment.

rallydefault

JaxonH

That’s about as reasonable a response one could hope for.

Not everyone is going to prefer digital, and that’s totally fine. But there’s a difference between preferring physical and going out of your way to obtain it whenever possible, even importing from other regions when necessary as I have done many times (and have nearly 2 dozen physical titles from Europe, Japan and Asia I would have otherwise not had), there’s a difference between that and dying on a hill of plastic cartridges, swearing off any game with an eShop only release, or even physical release with a download. Like... I get it. I totally get wanting a cartridge with a full game. But when that becomes more important then actually playing the games, I think such a person has is in need of adjusting their priorities. Maybe take a step back and challenge some of those long held beliefs and ask, does there really need to be such a stark line drawn in the sand over this?

As for games being played

30 hours in, and it only cements my belief that Final Fantasy X is the greatest video game of all time. I’ve always loved this game and have always held it in high regard as one of the best games of all time, but tonight I think I’ve come to terms with the fact I’ve never enjoyed another video game more.

I implore anyone who has not played this video game yet, to go play it. If you have a Nintendo Switch, and have never played Final Fantasy X... let’s put it this way. Forget Xenoblade 2. Forget Octopath. Forget Persona 4/5, forget YS VIII, and definitely forget Final Fantasy VII and IX (they were good for their time, this one is good now, even compared with modern releases), and forget Final Fantasy XV (it was a decent modern game, but doesn’t come close to X)... this is the one you’ve been looking for. The Final Fantasy you’ve been looking for. The JRPG you’ve been looking for. The timeless classic video game you’ve been looking for.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic