Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 40,281 to 40,300 of 69,994

NEStalgia

@NintendoByNature The D-Pad was pretty consistently flawed on that original run, where left and right often pressed diagonal instead. The updated models have a totally different feel to the D-Pad as well. The sticks also had high failure rates. Mine barely had use on it , and the stick had horrendous drift after just sitting there. I've had a lot of controllers with stick drift but they were abused by heavy use. Joycon included.... It was just that first few waves of them at launch. Starting with the XC2 model they fixed the D-Pad issue, and I haven't heard of as many stick issues since. (Another launch day one in the house, the stick works but feels odd and squeaks... That's a first for me on any controller.)

@Ralizah X360 (depending on which model you bought, anything pre-Jasper revision has the problem) does have a 100% failure rate. The nature of the problem was the use of pinless sockets combined with the switch to RoHS lead-free solder during the transition. The factory was still using soldering equipment set to the cooler temperatures of leaded solder, and thus never fully flowed the solder properly. Add to that the stresses of the pinless socket where the solder was holding the CPU on, and at some point, it will reach temperature flexes enough times the solder cracks. Not all of them failed, based on circumstances of insufficient use/temp change etc. But ultimately, if you use it sufficiently, 100% of them will crack because it was a consistent materials processing failure by "design"...not a percentage of flawed units, but the set temp on soldering didn't correctly flow the solder on any unit that out the door. Thus why the oven & towel trick worked.

NEStalgia

Lroy

Unless someone can confirm otherwise, it would appear that any and all versions of the Switch Pro Controller has this analogue stick defect built-in. It is often only a matter of time before the ‘drift’ issue begins to appear.

There’s folks online who have literally bought dozens of the things and demonstrated in videos how every one becomes prone to the drifting. It’s due to the material of the sticks themselves and the dust that gathers about them as they rub against the circular ring of the controller. This dust gets inside the controller and then causes input detection errors.

The error is clearly visible if you go into the calibration menu and most commonly, push up on the affected stick. The cursor will drop back to the centre and then often rise and fall of its own accord.

For the cost of a Switch Pro Controller, this issue is not acceptable in IMHO. I flat-out refuse to buy another one. Such a shame as I honestly really, really like the Switch Pro Controller and Joy-Cons.

Just wish Nintendo would accept responsibility and take whatever the financial hit and invest the time and decision-making to fix the issue at production level.

I adore the Switch and own two. But even as pro-Nintendo as I am, I think this poor experience with their controllers passed onto existing and presumably any future customer leaves a poor taste in the mouth.

To each his own though, @gcunit offers a different opinion and of course we may have different experiences/expectations with the hardware.

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

NintendoByNature

Stupid question I may already know the answer to. If it's an ongoing/common issue with the launch pro, after my d pad gets screwy as well as the sticks, will Nintendo warranty the fix? Even if I had the controller about a month or two after it launched

NintendoByNature

Luna_110

@NintendoByNature
Only if you are covered by warranty, same as any defects you have with the joy cons. If you're out of warranty, then they'll fix it but they'll charge you.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Ralizah

NEStalgia wrote:

X360 (depending on which model you bought, anything pre-Jasper revision has the problem) does have a 100% failure rate.

Not all of them failed, based on circumstances of insufficient use/temp change etc.

Hmm.

Anyway, I used mine pretty extensively that generation with no issue. Not obsessively, mind you, but more than a lot of people who were running into the issue.

Ultimately, I tend to be careful AND get lucky with my electronics.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Lroy

@NintendoByNature In my limited contact with Nintendo UK, they not only refused to acknowledge this well documented design flaw with the Switch Pro Controller, they also refused to enter into any agreement regarding its repair (offered to pay them whatever they wanted) as I had owned it for over 12 months and didn’t buy it directly from Nintendo UK Store.

Now I do know others have used Nintendo’s repair service and only speak highly of it, so again experiences and opinions will vary.

But unless you bought your Pro from Nintendo directly and have owned it less than 24 months (Nintendo themselves give you two years warranty), I suspect you won’t get any helpful response from Nintendo at all.

But hey, I’m likely just pissed the woman I spoke with was so unhelpful.

Lroy

@Luna_110 I offered to pay for my Switch Pro Controller to be repaired by Nintendo UK as I was just outside the 12 months warranty period, they told me was offered by non-Nintendo outlets. They flatly refused to even consider such a scenario. Told me to take it back to the store and get the sales clerk to sort it out, lol!!!!

NintendoByNature

@Lroy fair enough. I've had good experiences with Nintendo repair service over here in the states. But then again, I've used them a small amount. So I haven't had much exposure to develop a negative opinion. If I see an issue, I'll reach out and let you guys know how it pans out, even if it's months down the road

NintendoByNature

Luna_110

@Lroy
I'm not in the UK, but I'd suspect a similar situation here - I didn't even bother calling support with my Pro, I just fixed the d-pad issue by myself (it was cheaper, too).

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Lroy

@NintendoByNature This was my first (hopefully last) experience with any kind of repair request with Nintendo. Honestly, it was like talking to someone who had a script they had to use to basically refuse to help you. They wouldn’t actually discuss any potential repair. Just kept telling me it wasn’t their problem basically as I bought it from somewhere else. A well known retailer, not some random nobody.

I wasn’t rude, I wasn’t impatient. I tried to have a conversation but as soon as they knew I didn’t buy it from Nintendo directly, they just repeated over and over that it was my problem to raise with the store I purchased the Pro Controller from.

All I wanted was to send it to them to repair and would’ve happily paid for the service.

Lroy

@Luna_110 Just or be clear. I’m talking about the ‘drift’ issue with the left analogue stick. I didn’t even get far enough into the call to mention how even the right analogue stick on my launch day grey Joy-Con set has drift. And the intermittent drift on my two sets of Neon Joy-Con 🤪

The D-Pad I’ve found adequate. I have a black Switch Pro bought Xmas 2017. Reportedly this may of been when the D-Pad was silently revised, so perhaps that’s why I haven’t had major issues with it or just got ‘lucky’ that I only had the ‘drift’ problem.

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

@NintendoByNature Cheers Buddy.

I try to keep all my posts and interactions online/social media positive so won’t clog this thread up anymore with this issue.

Like I’ve said, it is pretty much the only complaint I have with my experience so far as a Switch owner. Love the system.

Luna_110

@Lroy
That's terrible. It's a shame that Nintendo's Customer service is pretty bad in that regard.

Ryu_Niiyama

I know this isn't the 360 thread but I can vouch for the x360 being junk. I'm on number 8 and 6 of those failed outright.

I have not had any issues with my procons though...just the joycons.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

I really dodged a bullet. My old 360 was good to me.

Although I eventually replaced it with a newer one, because when I bought my initial one, it didn't even have the ability to connect to Wi-Fi without purchasing a separate accessory for it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Buizel

Never had any significant problems with gaming hardware myself. At least not any that weren't my own fault (somehow managed to break my Wii U gamepad by dropping a Dual Shock 4 on it, and I've broken an original DS in half by dropping it). Guess I've been lucky.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Ryu_Niiyama

Nintendo and Sony Hardware have been fine. I still own my original SNES (aside from the yellowing it works just fine), I recently replaced my NES (Sold it when I was 7) and it also works just fine. The only Nintendo system I had tank was my N64 and that was because my mom spilled soda on it and didn't tell me (and it worked for years after that before I found out) and the replacement I bought for that works just fine. I am slowly retiring my systems to consolidate as I don't need 15 systems daisy chained to a tv but it isn't due to lack of functionality. My gamecube is in a iron spider nanosuit with a handle because it is the only system I've ever dropped (tumbled down some stairs when I moved into my freshman dorm) and it works no problem....which is almost disturbing really. I feel like I'm going to be found dead in my home playing gamecube when I get old. Just bury me with it.

Well my xbox OG is fine as well, but I also don't use it much.

All my sony systems except my ps4 were bought used and they are still chugging along. That being said I'm glad MS worked out their manufacturing kinks with gaming because I love their Surface computers. (saving for a Surface Hub....by the time I have the money they will be on Surface Hub 4 most likely but that is fine.)

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

Buizel wrote:

somehow managed to break my Wii U gamepad by dropping a Dual Shock 4 on it

Sounds like a modern take on the aggressive marketing tactics of the big manufacturers in the early 90's.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic