Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 40,261 to 40,280 of 41,015

kkslider5552000

1. Handheld only Switch is a dumb idea just on the basis of confusing consumers. After Wii U, Nintendo you'd think would be careful about that. That just seems confusing when it is literally called the Switch if a parent buys it for their kid and then realizes it can't do the actual "Switch" ing part of it.
2. Switch pro is ok but I hope it isn't an excuse for Nintendo to not have their games run as well on the normal Switch. It's Nintendo and I remember the New 3DS so I'm not sure that'll be a thing for most of their games anyway, but it's still a slight worry. I love that Nintendo has often prioritized 60 FPS, so taking that away just because you don't get a 2nd version of the Switch would be a real shame.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

ReaderRagfish

@Grumblevolcano The whole "we need dedicated servers on Switch" ideology is like the blast processing of today. Most people don't fully understand it, but they use it as fuel for their arguments anyway because they heard someone else say it's important.

Dedicated servers don't necessarily mean better online performance. They're good for people close to the servers, whereas P2P is good for when you're close to your opponent. And all of this means nothing if the game's netcode is poorly optimized.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

EvilLucario

Remember that Let's Go was $60 too. Compare that to $35 of Gen 4-5 and $40 of Gen 6-7. So it most likely brought in more revenue overall, especially with that Pokeball Plus, which unlike the Pokewalker got some extra revenue.

Also, dedicated servers became just another buzzword for idiots to use. It's more than just that. But people won't get that because they're ****ing stupid.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

link3710

@ReaderRagfish I mean that's certainly a simplification (The more players in a single lobby, the better off dedicate servers tend to be after all), but yeah, the amount of buzz around it is stupid. ESPECIALLY when it comes to 1v1 fighters. I hate seeing all the people asking for dedicated servers on fighting games. It's basically never going to be worth it in that scenario (and I say basically because of course there are conditions where it's an improvement but still)

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Therad

Dedicated servers are about consistency. If it lags, it lags for everyone. The time it takes for actions to actually happen is theoretically the same for all participants. This isn't necessary true in a peer to peer network. If I connect to your switch, your button presses might be already be registered before mine has even left the switch. You will have an unfair advantage.

Another problem is the security aspect. Nintendo expect you to port forward every single port into the switch otherwise you will never be able to play against anyone that haven't opened up their Network. I won't let an appliance have full access to both my lan and internet. I simply do not trust Nintendo in that regard.

But I am actually perfectly fine with peer to peer. But why should I pay extra for something like that?

Therad

JaxonH

1 Nothing is ever needed. Nobody needs a handheld only Switch. But nobody needs a hybrid Switch either. Many people want a hybrid Switch, and you can bet there are millions of people out there who would want a handheld only Switch.

2 The name is a problem, but not one that can’t be overcome with adequate labeling on the box in big giant letters, “HANDHELD ONLY, SYSTEM DOES NOT DOCK TO TV”. We all know how much Nintendo likes giant warnings on the front of their packaging. Don’t think for a second they wouldn’t leverage that skillset to skirt the issue of the name.

3 Switch has many purposes to many different people. Switching is one major purpose to a majority of gamers. But playing on the TV only is a purpose to millions of gamers as well. As is playing handheld only. The strength of the system is being whatever you want it to be. It’s a fact that a significant portion of the market would buy a cheaper, handheld-only Switch. There’s no reason not to capitalize on that.

I disagree with NEStalgia more times than not. But in this case I do think he’s right. They’ll want a $200 sku out for Pokémon.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy X, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, LABO VR, Trials Rising
X1: Far Cry New Dawn, Trials Fusion
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]
PSVR: Astrobot

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

EvilLucario

Nintendo Direct was trending higher than PlayStation Direct LOL

https://i.imgur.com/tGUevTV.png

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

That Samurai Showdown on Switch. We heard it leaked months ago though. Also that King of Fighters XIV was coming to Switch and one other fighter... can’t remember. Guess that means it’s true though. Get ready for KoFXIV

I’m all about Samurai Showdown though. Oh yes indeed

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy X, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, LABO VR, Trials Rising

Jesus is Lord.

subpopz

Therad wrote:

Dedicated servers are about consistency. If it lags, it lags for everyone.

This is just not true and unfortunately a common misconception. If the server itself lags, then yes, everyone would lag.
But, the server does not in any way fix the amount or quality of the hops and distance between you and the server. You could lag every time you logon, while I have zero lag. I will forever have an advantage, all due to where we live in relation to the server.
This has been common in many MMOs (where P2P is not an option) for many years now that some people to have unfair advantage from having low ping due largely to their geographic location. Very common to see ping ranges of a couple hundred ms between people. I have a ping of 50~60ms in the MMO I play, while other people in my guild can be around 400~500ms. I just happen to live closer to the server.

I wholeheartedly agree that we should not be paying for access to P2P, but paying for a dedicated server isn't the magical fix-all many people seem to think it is.

ReaderRagfish wrote:

I would agree with this if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo has made versions of the 3DS that aren't 3D.

To be fair.....they did rename it to 2DS

Edited on by subpopz

subpopz

FragRed

@EvilLucario That’s not really hard when the PlayStation equivalent forgot to include any announcements outside of a few VR titles. If this was Sony’s answer to skipping E3, then they really must have nothing in development worth showing anytime soon. Likely until the PS5 announcement.

It’s the same with Xbox, the Inside Xbox really doesn’t need to exist until they’re in a position to really start announcing lots of big games. And even then the style just doesn’t work unless they really feel 5 new coloured controllers is big enough for a show.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

EvilLucario

@Morpheel A new thing Apple just announced today. Something about no MTX or ads with something, I didn't look too much into it.

Link-Hero

@ReaderRagfish
Which is why they renamed it the 2DS. It's an easy way to tell the average consumer that there's a difference.

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

Grumblevolcano

FFVII is on the UK eshop now so it's a midnight release rather than afternoon.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Knuckles-Fajita

@Grumblevolcano Most things are midnight releases here in the UK.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

ReaderRagfish

@Link-Hero It still does defeat the original selling point of it (the 3D) which is pretty much the same thing a portable only Switch would do. Not to mention that any games you bought for the 2DS would still say 3DS on the box.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

JaxonH

Lots of games being announced for Switch lately.

Compare to 2017. Remember when announcements were so sparse everybody was feeling the gloom?

As a less powerful, portable system running ARM, it’ll never get the kind of support PS, Xbox and PC enjoy. But for a Nintendo system and especially as a portable, Switch has really been picking up a lot of steam lately. I expect that to continue throughout the year.

Btw, just got Fate Extella Link and Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World (that’s a mouthful) in the mail.

Untitled

I feel like Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists looks and runs a lot better than Atelier Lydie and Suelle. They’re Switch development experience is starting to shine through. It’s a different kind of game though. A base-building spinoff, where you construct a town, build shops, alchemy, assign tasks, explore for resources, encounter enemies to fight, etc. Resource management type stuff.

There’s something about these games I really like. They’re so happy and cheerful and the main characters have this crazy sense of Deluxo aristocratic fashion that puts me at ease every time I see their frilly dresses with giant bows and large, spanning hats.

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

scubydo

@JaxonH is there a specific order to play all the Atelier games in?

RPG, FPS, Adventure,Action...oh I like 'em all!
New Switch ID: SW-3806-8055-1317

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

JaxonH

From Wall Street Journal
Industry watchers expect sales for the Switch to begin declining soon.

Also From Wall Street Journal, next sentence in the paragraph
Analysts polled by Visible Alpha, a provider of market forecasts, anticipate on average that 17.9 million units of the Switch will be sold in the fiscal year ending this month, followed by 17.4 million in the following year.

[counts Switch sales for Y1... 17-18m]
[counts Switch sales for Y2... 17-18m]
[Switch sale predictions for Y3... 17-18m]

Did I miss the definition of decline?

@scubydo
No. They’re all their own thing. If you want the main dish, Atelier Lydie and Suelle is a great pick. Or the Trilogy on the eShop, a few of which are highly rated among hardcore fans.

This one is a base building spinoff as mentioned, so it’s different than all the others. Still a fun game, just different. So if resource management and top down view town construction is more your thing, Nelke would probably be a better pick.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic