Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 40,241 to 40,260 of 41,110

Octane

Now it all makes sense. The upcoming Switch models will be called the Xbox Portable and the Xbox Two

Octane

Therad

@Octane It will be called the Switch Zune and Xbox three-sixty if we stick to established branding.

Therad

AlohaPizzaJack

I knew the Zune would make a comeback

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@Octane Heck no. Microsoft and Nintendo collaborating on a naming scheme? We'd get the XBox TWOelf Boy

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Nah, it would be the Nintendo SAD and the New Xbox One XL

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Link-Hero

Why do people want a portable only Switch? Doing that would ruin the entire reason for the device's existence and name, to easily SWITCH between TV and handheld mode. The name will be a big lie if Nintendo released a handheld only version and just cause confusion to the general public. They would have to change the name to something else and I don't think Nintendo is willing to do that.

With how the video game industry has been working these past couple console generations, releasing a Switch with higher spec hardware is much more likely and realistic.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

NEStalgia

@Link-Hero EVENTUALLY a more powerful switch or successor will happen. Even 3DS had that happen. But not yet.

For now the problem is cost. They need to fill the void left by 3DS, particularly with Pokemon moving to Switch. A $300 console meant for older ages isn't what Pokemon needs unless they want Pokmeon sales to drop sharply from their typical sales. Not what they're looking for. Pokemon, alone, absolutely necessitates a low cost SKU that can travel with the younger kids.

Call it a budget Switch. Call it a 4DS. Call it whatever, it needs to be a Switch on the inside, and a $199 or less package on the outside that will survive a few drops. Even if only one game is ever going to sell with it. It's simply imperative for Pokemon to succeed.

NEStalgia

Knuckles-Fajita

Imperative for Pokemon to succeed?

Y'all didnt see how Lets Go sold eh?

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@Link-Hero I doubt they would remove the docking ability entirely (there's no reason to). More likely, you'd need to purchase an extra pair of joy-cons for TV play due to integrated controllers. They probably also wouldn't sell it with a dock. But you would still be able to use it as a hybrid if you already have the extra stuff needed.

The cheaper price would be attractive for children and handheld-only gamers, though. It needs to happen.

Switch Pro can wait. The system probably won't be due for a refresh for another year at least.

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Pokemon would sell very well even if Nintendo did nothing on the hardware front, it's more like the cheaper model unlocks insane results.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano "Pokemon numbers" depend on every kid getting a copy, though. That remains why 2DS ever happened. Sure it would sell well to Switch owners, but that's not good enough for Pokemon numbers. LGP wasn't quite up to Poekmon numbers. It did well, and it wasn't intended to sell like a typical Pokemon game...but the hardware is part of the reason. I can't imagine they'll be content with only the Switch numbers...for a big Pokemon.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Knuckles-Fajita It succeeded, but it wasn't "Pokemon numbers" in their usual sense. Especially in Japan.

If you were Ishihara and had two choices: Insist on a lower price point kid friendly SKU, or don't insist on a lower price point kid friendly SKU, which option would you choose?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Link-Hero

The Switch is small enough though. Just about the correct size so both kids and adults can use comfortably. It does not need to be any smaller.

When I was a kid in the mid '90s, I wished handhelds were around the size of the Switch. Whenever I played my Gameboy Color back in the day, the area below the knuckles in my thumbs would start to strain over the one hour mark and then slowly get worse over time. It got bad enough that I would only play no more than four hours per day, with breaks throughout the day. I would typically force myself on longer sessions whenever I played Pokemon due to my love for the series. That problem was one of the reasons why I gave up on handheld only gaming back in 2006 in the DS days and didn't come back until I got a New 3DS XL a year ago.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

IceClimbers

@NEStalgia Let's Go did over 10 million. That's better than typical "Pokemon numbers" for any entry that isn't the beginning of a new generation. Only Yellow, HGSS, and ORAS have more.

This narrative of yours that Let's Go didn't do "Pokemon numbers" is false.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Knuckles-Fajita

@NEStalgia If I were Ishihara I'd be questioning my business decisions.

Firstly, who expected a Pokemon game aimed at a different audience to sell as well as Pokemon normally does...when it's not aimed at the people who normally make those numbers?

Secondly, this is the man who said the Switch would fail. He has no right to insist on anything. For God's sake, much like Masuda once misunderstood, Pokemon sells systems. The system doesn't need to sell well to sell Pokemon.

What they WANT is it to sell well, more than usual. At that point sure, introduce a lower model. At the same time, who can say how many people will own a Switch by Sword and Shield's launch, especially given the lineup prior to it this year. They could be selling to an even bigger audience than they did when launching XY, just on one hardware SKU alone.

So to reach Pokémon's usual numbers, right now, Ishihara needs to do nothing. Sit back, let the game be made, release it at the right time.

Now to answer your question, as anyone informed on capitalism would attest, Ishihara would insist on a cheaper additional SKU. As would any developer of any game. But notice how they aren't.

But as your question was quite simply a "Would a businessman like to see a cheaper model and a more expensive one, or just the expensive one?"...well the answer is easy. Since the question lacks context as to WHY he would want it, well we just assume the basics.

Of course, this is all assuming a Switch Mini, or whatever the stupid name will be, even exists, given from what we hear it would remove a lot of features that make many games, or parts of games, far harder all in the name of a price point. Far more than removing 3D on a 3DS ever did.

Of course, what they could do, and what I would expect they do, is reduce the current Switch in price and allow a higher end model to take the £280 price point. That way R&D doesn't need to spent on a redesign that at the end of the day is needless, and additional production lines and staff don't need to be brought in to produce an additional SKU that isn't needed. Nor would it divide up the market by offering three models of one thing simultaneously, all with seemingly very different feature sets, all of which would need to be accounted for when marketing games, and be accounted for on existing games where features such as HD Rumble won't be available.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Morpheel

What if they made a 3DS-esque controller that slotted into the joycon slots and transformed a regular switch into a clamshell system.

It'd be gloriously ugly.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@IceClimbers Hmm, I thought it had performed below average, particularly in Japan. I hadn't seen that lofty number. Still, if that's what it can do without the normal audience, imagine if they could get it in every kids hands?

@Knuckles-Fajita All that aside, I still see a cheaper more portable model of Switch FAR more likely after the EOL of 3DS, than a magic "more powerful" Switch. There's zero need for a more powerful Switch at this point. Internet fans may want one, but there's zero business need for one, that would be inconsistent with Nintendo's history, presents new Android-like problems of fragmented user bases, and it's still not clear nVidia even has a "step up" ready to go. If it's not going to start cranking out 4k and playing Assassin's Creed MMXII....what would it give Nintendo? "More AAAs?" Hardly.

Eventually they will do so as they always do, but not this early in the life, and it will be mostly to improve minor things, not a PS4 Pro kind of situation. Even Microsoft hates the X1X type situation. They were just backed into a corner that Nintendo is not.

@Morpheel Now THAT sounds like a Nintendo idea!

Edit: Corrected "EOL Switch" to properly say "EOL 3DS."

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ReaderRagfish

Link-Hero wrote:

Why do people want a portable only Switch? Doing that would ruin the entire reason for the device's existence and name, to easily SWITCH between TV and handheld mode. The name will be a big lie if Nintendo released a handheld only version and just cause confusion to the general public.

I would agree with this if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo has made versions of the 3DS that aren't 3D.

On topic of whether or not I'd like a smaller version of the Switch, I wouldn't mind one. The Switch is nice, but it's a bit too large for me to want to bring everywhere. I do love my Gameboy Micro.

Edited on by ReaderRagfish

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Grumblevolcano

Halo 5 these past few weeks has made it very clear that dedicated servers isn't enough just by itself as a solution to Nintendo's terrible online. The lag has been so bad, Smash Ultimate's online seems good in comparison.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic