Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 39,941 to 39,960 of 69,981

EvilLucario

Ralizah wrote:

Exclusives designed around a particular system's unique features, or that were partially funded with money from one of the big three, shouldn't go multiplat. So: your Zeldas, Marios, Uncharteds, Bayonettas, etc. They help to define the unique identity of a system, and they're important for keeping non-market leaders from sinking into obscurity. This is what Microsoft is missing, I think, and it's the reason they won't regain their footing unless Sony seriously messes up with the PS5.

Third-party exclusives not built around unique hardware features... eh. I still think it's important for systems to maintain some exclusives of this sort as well, but, at the end of the day, I won't cry myself to sleep about people invested in other ecosystems getting to play our timed exclusives. I care more about playing games on my preferred system. The only case where I'd be actively annoyed by this is if a company maintained exclusivity in one direction, but not the other. For example, since mainline Persona is very likely remaining Sony exclusive, I'll be actively irritated if SMT V goes multiplat. They need to either give each system their exclusive game (as I think they will end up doing), or allow both to go multiplat. Anything else feels unfair.

Word. It's why I'm ok with games like Etrian Odyssey and WarioWare Gold staying on 3DS and not go to consoles because they just NEED the 3DS hardware.

In an ideal world, most third-party games would be multiplatform with no strings attached.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Honestly, I'm more disappointed because No More Heroes didn't do well on other consoles when they did this before. So I question why anyone would bother releasing a worse reviewed spinoff on other consoles. I don't know if there's a real audience for it, let alone outside of the Nintendo consoles its known for being on. Like Octopath, that makes sense. This, I don't get.

i do tend to agree that more exclusives is a good thing, the idea that everything should be on everything doesn't make sense when there's like a dozen good games released every week, ps4 owners didnt need that random tomb raider sequel, that was a dumb controversy for a game no one cares about in hindsight. its not bad when it happens, but it doesn't matter if it doesn't either. same for the reverse.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

@Knuckles-Fajita What's wrong with the exclusive content? If it's tied to IPs owned by the platform holder, then, of course, it won't show up elsewhere. Not to say that there isn't plenty of content that's ridiculous to be platform specific, but to say Shovel Knight shouldn't have had the Battletoads content or Starlink shouldn't have had the Star Fox content seems weird to me. Cause for that sort of stuff, it's either exclusive or not going to happen at all, no in-between.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@link3710 Ah, I missed a bit out, tired after work typing doesn't go well.

What I meant by that was that unless the content has a reason to be exclusive, such as the examples I listed like Shovel Knight and so on, then I dont like it.

As you'll not, I did say "but stuff like PlayStation having exclusive content because....reasons, that bothers me.".

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ryu_Niiyama

Personally I just miss the gamecube days, back when for the most part multiplats were...multiplats. I was able to have just a gamecube during the majority of college (and I only got a ps2 used for shinobi) and not miss out on many games...

However the gamecube era displayed the bias that a lot of devs had against the gaming consumer base. I blame the "console wars" because devs that had grown up with "camp Sega" or "Camp Nintendo" started drawing more imaginary lines in the sand and then we get impressions that one fanbase only likes one genre. (Console wars don't make sense to me as i look at games like cars. If you drive a Tesla and I drive a Toyota in the end they are transportation systems...consoles are much the same as they are vehicles to bring the games to the consumers. At the same time I feel that the "wars" are in part due to some slant that as a female I just don't get. Guys like to compete a lot about almost anything, I'll compete if it is worth something that isn't just bragging rights.) SNES has a wide range of games because the then fledgling devs were throwing games anywhere they could afford to do so even if they had to make separate versions for Sega or Nintendo due to hardware strength.

N64 suffered because Sony took their ball and went home, taking what they learned from Nintendo to launch the ps1 (which is still a meh system overall to me but I see why devs fell over themselves to save money) I get that there is also some company bitterness as well, a lot of people hated the way Nintendo did business in the 90s but I really think if they hadn't been so aggressive, gaming would have faded out again before gaining traction enough to make it a mainstream hobby that is continued into adulthood.

However the gcn era was when Nintendo fought for tech supremacy and they had a system that could run anything in the generation and that was when if you sneezed a game came out on other systems yet there was the Nintendo is for kids / blood and sex makes an adult mentality really took root I think. I feel like some of that is why Nintendo went back to the blue ocean strategy (nes was essentially a blue ocean machine. it was the Family Computer in japan and marketed as a toy for (boys mostly based upon the commercials) of all ages. ) In its own way the switch is a blue ocean console as it is trying to snag both kids and busy, possibly lapsed adults. Yet devs are too cheap (When EA, who is not hurting for money and used to throw games at systems like pasta to the wall barely supports you what message does that send to other devs that want to emulate EA's financials?), and often lazy to create parity in games. I still say part of this is due to a decline in dev skill, now that we have so many game engines, devs don't have to really learn and push hardware, they don't have to optimize since the base benchmarks make them enough money and unless the engine is scaleable they just throw in the towel.

At the same time some of that is also suit meddling. Game dev work used to be an almost hipster kind of job back in the 80s and 90s so there was a bit more freedom as companies were trying to find their footing. Listen to the old Miyamoto-dono interviews and they gave him and his team tons of freedom to just go and get inspired. I don't think that is as important now and it shows, studios are under constant crunch, story driven franchise get worse with each entry, games are often released in a state that while there are bugs in the older games before patches, few are so broken as is the norm now with day 1 patches.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

Seems Bigben finally learned how to bring quality racing ports to Switch.

TT Isle of Man is one of the best in their portfolio, and not only did they manage to get a stable framerate, handheld mode doesn’t suffer from super low res like some of their early releases (although it still seems to take a hit- how bad depends on who you ask but generally it seems to be in the “lower but acceptable” range rather than “insanely blurry sticking out like a sore thumb” range). Hearing nothing but positive feedback from multiple YT reviewers

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

WebHead

Kinda surprised EA supoort hasnt improved. I think the honest truth is what ive thought for awhile: Nintendo and EA just really do not like eachother.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

link3710

@JaxonH How did I not hear about this game coming to Switch? I'm not a racer fan, but I have friends who love them for when we play together, and this looks perfect. Hot seat is how we usually play when it comes to racing (split screen is just not great for racing) so it should be good.

link3710

Anti-Matter

@WebHead
"Nintendo and EA just really do not like eachother"

Something that really contrary between EA and Nintendo during Wii & NDS era.
EA and Nintendo were really intimate.
Then, there were some exclusive games from EA for Wii and NDS such as My Sims series, Charming Girl Club, Boomblox, EA Playground, Boogie, Create, Sim Animals, Sim City, etc.
But after Wii U failure, EA gave Nintendo a cold shoulder like EA cannot trust with Nintendo anymore.

Anti-Matter

HobbitGamer

@WebHead Yeah it’s unfortunate. I’m not a huge sports game fan, but I’ve usually bought every alternate year of Madden on the Microsoft consoles. I’d love to play one on Switch with plays you could draw on the touchscreen. And I miss Need for Speed, really enjoyed Most Wanted and the Hot Pursuit reboot.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ralizah

EvilLucario wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Exclusives designed around a particular system's unique features, or that were partially funded with money from one of the big three, shouldn't go multiplat. So: your Zeldas, Marios, Uncharteds, Bayonettas, etc. They help to define the unique identity of a system, and they're important for keeping non-market leaders from sinking into obscurity. This is what Microsoft is missing, I think, and it's the reason they won't regain their footing unless Sony seriously messes up with the PS5.

Third-party exclusives not built around unique hardware features... eh. I still think it's important for systems to maintain some exclusives of this sort as well, but, at the end of the day, I won't cry myself to sleep about people invested in other ecosystems getting to play our timed exclusives. I care more about playing games on my preferred system. The only case where I'd be actively annoyed by this is if a company maintained exclusivity in one direction, but not the other. For example, since mainline Persona is very likely remaining Sony exclusive, I'll be actively irritated if SMT V goes multiplat. They need to either give each system their exclusive game (as I think they will end up doing), or allow both to go multiplat. Anything else feels unfair.

Word. It's why I'm ok with games like Etrian Odyssey and WarioWare Gold staying on 3DS and not go to consoles because they just NEED the 3DS hardware.

In an ideal world, most third-party games would be multiplatform with no strings attached.

I'm not sure how Atlus thinks they're going to continue the EO series on Switch without DRASTICALLY changing the gameplay by automating the map-making. Granted, that wouldn't bother some people, but it'd certainly take away from the "special-ness" of it for me.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Isn't Nexus supposed to be the final game anyway?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Therad

WebHead wrote:

Kinda surprised EA supoort hasnt improved. I think the honest truth is what ive thought for awhile: Nintendo and EA just really do not like eachother.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.
In this case there is a simpler solution, EA don't think it is worth porting frostbite to switch. I have a suspicion that frostbite isn't especially port friendly, otherwise they would use it everywhere.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

EvilLucario

@Ralizah How the hell is that going to work on Switch? It seems so tied to the DS/3DS I can't fathom it going to Switch. Maybe they'll find something like Nintendo did with Splatoon and Mario Maker, but Idk.

gcunit

JaxonH wrote:

Someone needs to point out to that reviewer that saying a feature cannot be understated is not generally a compliment.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

We’re getting a Pokemon press conference tomorrow and a Pokemon Direct on June 5th.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano wrote:

We’re getting a Pokemon press conference tomorrow and a Pokemon Direct on June 9th.

What?!
When??
Pokemon Direct will be on 5 June 2019 as mentioned from NOA Twitter.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic