Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 39,281 to 39,300 of 69,991

Thannus

AlohaPizzaJack wrote:

@WebHead Exactly. Love it or leave it, the only way to play online in 90% of console games is through a paywall. Developers know this too, so it’s not like they’re at a weak point. Consumers en mass accepted paywall multiplayer long ago.

What?
How the heck can you actually argue this?
PC games are often online multiplayer. No paywall except your internet plan (internet is still gonna have to be paid for with console gaming too, so you're effectively paying less still). The Wii U and older consoles lasted years with no paywall for online games. Heck, FORTNITE, arguably the biggest online game around right now, doesn't require the online services for any of the consoles it's on (Unless it does for Xbox One. I've only attempted it on PS4 and Switch, neither of which required their respective online services).

You're wrong until I say otherwise.

HobbitGamer

@DFaceG_Rebooted I said console, not PC (Thought there are games on PC that are understood to require a sub) I also didn’t say everything on console required it, I said 90%. Many generations didn’t have paywalls, that’s true. But when Microsoft brought in Xbox Live for the original Duke, people adopted it and accepted the extra cost on their system. Then after awhile, Sony also did it, and people accepted that. Nintendo is just the last to come aboard the S.S. Subscription voyage 😂
@Therad That wasn’t how it meant to sound. I was just pointing out that the presence of multiplayer paywalls on consoles hasn’t prevented devs from providing multiplayer modes. 😁 Hopefully that’s better for clarity.

When I say “people” accepted it, I’m referring to the fact that enough people were okay with it that a company didn’t reverse course out of fear over lost consumers.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

RR529

Surprisingly I got my copy of Onimusha Warlords in today (I didn't think it would even ship until next week due to Golden Week), so hopefully I get to start it tomorrow (just 4 more levels left in Boxboy+Boxgirl...).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

@Aozz101x
Gaijin Hunter apparently loves this game, and just put a video out on it

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Therad wrote:

AlohaPizzaJack wrote:

@WebHead Exactly. Love it or leave it, the only way to play online in 90% of console games is through a paywall. Developers know this too, so it’s not like they’re at a weak point. Consumers en mass accepted paywall multiplayer long ago.

I think that is such a strange argument. That is basically saying nothing can change, if that were true we would all live in caves.

And yet there are things in life certain to never change... taxes, for example. And I’d put Console gaming online subscriptions one notch below taxes- they’re not going anywhere. More power to the people who hope for change but, that ship sailed along time ago as PizzaJack said. If people had any hope of stopping that, they should’ve stopped it at the source when Xbox implemented it. But they didn’t. Or at least when Sony then implemented it. But they didn’t. And now Nintendo is doing it too, and there’s nothing that was done to stop it either.

Not saying it’s impossible for it to change, just like it’s not impossible they abolish income tax, but I’m guessing there’s a better chance of Martians abducting sandwiches out of my refrigerator 😉

On another note, Games As A Service continues to metastasize and kill off single player games. Apparently Child of Light won’t get a sequel because, “though it would make money, Games As A Service makes more money” and that’s what Ubisoft wants to focus on.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

God, this looks good, too. Aside from the Godzilla-esque dubbing, but I assume there will be a Japanese voice language option.

Also, uh... mega spoilers for the anime. They apparently expect you to have already seen the show.

First half of the year was kind of empty, but the second half of 2019 is looking insane.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

rallydefault

@DFaceG_Rebooted
Dude, gamers HAVE most definitely accepted paywalls. And there's no one to blame except for looking in the mirror, for all of us.

Even PC gamers, to a certain degree. I consider myself mostly a PC gamer, but we've fallen for pretty similar stuff and made it commonplace. Maybe not as bad as paid online for consoles, but we've bought wholesale into numerous other rip-off schemes that are now commonplace: Steam Early Access, games with paid "founders" alphas and betas that stretch on for years (older PC gamers will remember times when that stuff was FREE - devs WANTED you to alpha/beta their games to make sure they were working, not to take your money under false auspcies), and the dreaded free-to-play phenomenon truly started on mobile/PC.

Gaming these days is in sorry shape, and you can blame the corporate greed, or you can realize who actually held the keys to all this: us, the gamers. We didn't push back when we should have, and now here we are.

Have fun playing Call of Duty 15 or Minecraft-ripoff Early Access Game #155 this year. Loosen that wallet for the DLC and near-mandatory microtransactions to keep up with the curve.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Open world as a whole is the poison, not just GaaS. I'm not saying open world shouldn't exist but we've the reached the point where open world exists just for the sake of being open world which harms other aspects of the game like how open world made BotW's story and gameplay worse.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

@Grumblevolcano slow month 😭. Would love to see final fantasy or something. Unless that means there may be a final fantasy collection coming much like castlevania was absent from nes online.. I've actually been playing alot nes games lately as the quality has been there

NintendoByNature

rallydefault

Morpheel wrote:

@rallydefault I wouldn't say paying to play a game counts as a paywall

Or else things went downhill with the first game made to be sold.

That's definitely exactly what I meant. Bring back a bartering system that relies on pigs and various rare spices, I say.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@ReaderRagfish Let June be Urban Champion, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Fire Emblem Gaiden (Japan only with no NA/EU replacement) with Treehouse Live having a 30 minute segment on Urban Champion during E3

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@subpopz I think the best example of an open world I've ever played is like that, the inFAMOUS games (or well, the first two, haven't played the third). With the world slowly opening up to you as the story unfolds, and the story itself being very well handled (mostly), it didn't run into most of the pitfalls open world games seem to.

@rallydefault I mean, back when paid online became a thing, that was one of the big things that pushed me to get a Wii U over a XB1/PS4. Clearly I was in the minority on that however, and at this point the only option is to just not play online on consoles anymore. Which sucks but... yeah. I have a free year of NSO from Prime anyways but... Not really sure how else to avoid paying for online at this point.

link3710

NintendoByNature

I kinda want to play punch out special edition where little Mac just dodges a punch and whoever you fight just wiffs, falls over and Mario counts 10 on em

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

rallydefault

@link3710
Yea, I mean, I'm part of the problem. I ponied up for Xbox Live on my 360 with everyone else. It's just depressing that gamers didn't make a stand against this kind of stuff when it first started happening. Whether it's paid online for consoles, microtransactions, ridiculous Early Access games on Steam at stupid prices, "founders packs" for various PC games that sometimes cost multiple hundreds of dollars, free-to-play "games."

When I was growing up (grabs cane and waves it in the air), paid "DLC" was almost 100% in the form of huge expansion packs for PC games. I vividly remember buying most expansion packs for like 20 bucks. And now, we look back at the (in)famous example of the Oblivion horse armor DLC that was like 15-20 bucks to put some pixelated padding on your horse. I feel like that should have been a point where we wised up and refused to go down this path.

Does anybody remember how much they paid for WoW's betas back in 2004? Does anyone remember what other game they had to buy to get access? Nope and nope - it was all free. Wanna sign up for a lot of betas today? Pony up some cash. Or buy this other game to get access. Or, if on console, you must have that console's online service. I'm happy I got to try Anthem and Division 2 on my PC for free this year, but those are now the exceptions, not the rule. PC is definitely the easiest space to try and avoid a lot of this crud, but even there it's getting harder.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault Switch is the easiest though I could see there being a point where betas are NSO exclusive in the future (maybe another meaning of "special offers").

Grumblevolcano

RR529

Opened up my import copy of Onimusha Warlords today! It's just the standard release, but it has a reversible cover and a little folded up instruction pamphlet, which are nice touches. As far as the game itself, I played up to the point I was able to save after the first boss fight, and while it is a bit dated in places, I like the setting and have been finding it pretty fun so far.

I also finished up all the single player levels in Boxboy+Boxgirl this morning, including "a Tall Tale", with all goals met. That was actually pretty good and worth the $10.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic