Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 39,221 to 39,240 of 69,981

Toy_Link

@Therad Why kill off a game that still ha the potential to sell many more millions of copies in a series that consistently sells well for years (MK7 has sold more than 4 million copies since the Switch launched)?

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah yea my hype level has been up and down over the last couple of years for bloodstained. Sometimes i like day 1 for sure. Then other days I'm like, yea I suppose I can wait. Loved the new trailer but releasing so close to Mario maker I might to wait for a sale. Plus e3 coming a week or so earlier tons of sales are going to hit hurting my wallet in the process

NintendoByNature

Thannus

Mario Kart 9 is something that will happen eventually, but Nintendo tends to have a really janky schedule, especially when ports and re-releases are thrown in the mix.
I would've preferred a new game sooner than later, seeing as MK8DX was quite literally just a port with a few extra things, but it is what it is.
We'll get Mario Kart 9 eventually. If MK9 released for the Switch, that would make the Switch the first console with more than one Mario Kart that isn't Virtual Console or backwards compatibility.

You're wrong until I say otherwise.

Ralizah

@AlternateButtons Considering MK8D is pretty much a new game for the majority of Switch owners, I think it makes sense to push off MK9 for a few years and focus on other franchises. I do think we'll eventually see a new Switch-exclusive MK game, though. Cannibalizing the Wii U's library gave Nintendo some breathing room to focus on other releases, and it gives them plenty of time to line up a killer set of games for the system's last few years on the market.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

I think it'll depend on what the Switch's future is like on the hardware side. Stuff like how long is the Switch being supported, is the Switch successor a Switch 2.0 or something different, how smooth the transition is, etc.

So like if the Switch is being replaced in 2022, it makes more sense to save a MK9 for the launch window of the Switch's successor.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

Man...
On year 2024 i will turn 40 years old. 😅
I guess gaming hobby should never faded once you get into dedication, eh?

Anti-Matter

Magician

AlternateButtons wrote:

@Ralizah I'm not saying we need a new Mario Kart super soon but the Switch SHOULD gets its own exclusive Mario Kart in its lifetime. Some argue that we shouldn't even get a new Mario Kart at all which is really, really dumb. Say the switch lasts until 2024. If we don't get a new Mario Kart in the Switch lifetime, that would make a SOLID DECADE without a Mario kart game which is insane.

Sales figures are everything. For example, Grand Theft Auto V will most likely have been on the market for ten years before GTA VI arrives in 2023 or later. Why? 100 million units sold and counting. So until the sales figures for MK8D slow down to a trickle we won't get MK9. And considering how MK8D is an evergreen title, I'd wager the Switch will never get MK9.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Eel

Has Nintendo ever released more than one Mario Kart in any system (outside of virtual console and backwards compatibility)?

I get the impression that it’s one of those series where they don’t want to have too many concurrent options.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Magician

AlternateButtons wrote:

@Magician Again, I'll never understand why people quote high sales figures as a reason against a sequel. That logic is utterly stupid. Mario Kart isn't GTA. And for the Switch to not have its own exclusive Mario Kart is also asinine. I guess we shouldn't get another Zelda game on Switch huh?

Why does the Switch need MK9 so badly? I would like for you to expound on that. It's not as though a MK game developed on Switch hardware specifically is somehow going to be significantly better than MK8D.

As for Zelda? Besides the fact that Link's Awakening is coming? (Not sure if you're trying to bait me there or...something?) But Breath of the Wild did take more than five years to develop. So from a perspective of logistics, I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch didn't get a BotW sequel. Nevermind the fact that I think it's the worst game in the series (sans the Phillips CD-I Zelda games), but that opinion is in the minority.

Edit: Sentence cleanup, and I forgot the Phillips CD-I Zelda games.

Edited on by Magician

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Aozz101x

https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-bringing-rock-of-ages-2-b...
Rock of Ages 2 is coming to switch.

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

link3710

@AlternateButtons @Magician I'm gonna take a third stance. Instead of making yet another Mario Kart (yay?), they could put those resources into making a different sort of kart racing game. As much fun as MKWii, MK7 and MK8 are, I feel like the series hasn't advanced at all since Mario Kart DS. Why not let the team go loose on a new Diddy Kong Racing, or a new fantastic racer in general, where they aren't restricted by what's come before.

link3710

Magician

AlternateButtons wrote:

@Magician Because the Switch is Nintendo's most successful console since the Wii. I'm sorry but I want a Mario Kart game built from the ground up and with the hardware in mind. I don't want a damn port to be THE Mario Kart for its entire life cycle. And yes, building games with the hardware in mind does make them better, you're crazy if you think otherwise. They can take advantage of its unique features, do more with HD rumble and of course develop a prettier and more unique looking game because of familiarity with the hardware. Think about the upgrade from Sash Wii U to Smash Ultimate. And again, Mario Kart 8 is almost 5 years old, it's time to move on and create something new.

Uh except Nintendo has confirmed another mainline Zelda IS in development and has gone on record saying they want to make Zelda's as a faster pace. Not to mention, BOTW only took 5 years because its physics and world needed to be built from the ground up. Every Zelda before it was a modified version of the Ocarina engine. They spent millions developing its physics system and interconnected systems. You're telling me they're going to throw that new engine away and NOT develop a new Zelda with it? I doubt that.

As much as I love the Switch I don't agree that it needs a new entry in the MK series, even though your point of view is valid. As for the BotW sequel that Monolith Soft is working on? It might use the same engine that BotW used, Monolith Soft had a major hand in the creation of BotW's world after all. But it could easily be something new all together. We don't know any details yet.

However, Nintendo has expressed that they'd like to make Zelda an annual franchise. But I believe that means that Nintendo intends to outsource the Zelda IP more than any other franchise. Which is why we're getting Link's Awakening from Grezzo and Cadence of Hyrule from Brace Yourself Games. And not necessarily make mainline games year after year after year.

Magician

link3710 wrote:

@AlternateButtons @Magician I'm gonna take a third stance. Instead of making yet another Mario Kart (yay?), they could put those resources into making a different sort of kart racing game.

They are, Mario Kart Tour for iOS. lulz But all kidding aside, Nintendo does have other racing franchises. Excitebike, Wave Race, F-Zero, etc. I'd much rather see a new entry for one of those games over MK9.

link3710

@Magician I hope you're right about the yearly bit. Having spinoffs, remakes and outsourced titles to keep the series going without a full entry each year is the way to go. It's how Kirby works, and that series has been annual since like, 1992 with one or two exceptions, and you don't see people complain (well, much anyways). 2019's lack of a Kirby game is honestly really strange.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

AlternateButtons wrote:

Because the Switch is Nintendo's most successful console since the Wii.

To use your quote...

AlternateButtons wrote:

quote high sales figures as a reason against a sequel. That logic is utterly stupid

If using high sales of software to justify not spending money to make another game, and thus not make as much profit per unit in the short to mid term, as is the capitalist goal our society has set out for profit focused corporations, is asinine to you...then let me ask.

How is using high sales of hardware, driving by the proven high sales of existing software that continue to remain high and thus generate more profit than a developed sequel, any better?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@link3710 2019 had a Kirby game. It was a port mind.

Reminds me of a few of the Wii years was filled eith an anniversary collection, or GBA remakes back in that time.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

HobbitGamer

@AlternateButtons I don't think it's so much high sale figures prevents another entry, as opposed to healthy continued sales reduces the need for a new entry right away. Maybe looking at it through the "New to me" aspect for Switch buyers that didn't play WiiU gives Nintendo some breathing room before all those folks also want a new Kart.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Dogorilla

There's been a Mario Kart game every 3 years since 2005 so if that trend continues we'll get one in 2020, but I don't think it will because the fact Nintendo only has one current console now (as opposed to a home console and a handheld) means most recurring patterns like that will get thrown out the window, plus Mario Kart Tour is supposed to be coming out this year. I don't think MK9 will be a Switch game since MK games are usually released within the first 2 years of a console's lifespan so they can keep selling for years as evergreen titles. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic