Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 38,961 to 38,980 of 41,003

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I imagine both dockability and joycons could go. If they're going for lower price point, joycons are pretty expensive, and that's the first thing to go out the window by integrating them to a single battery with no transmitters molded in. No rails either. that cut's their cost significantly. And without joycons, cutting the dock is an easy choice since it segments who buys which console (the little one can't sub for the full Switch), and eliminates the customer confusion issue that you have to buy another controller to play while docked since the joycons aren't detachable. Not to mention the size would be wrong for a smaller box. I see it as a true 2DS type product. An awkward-ish less desirable version of the product that some people might find more suitable for them for one reason or another.

NEStalgia

WebHead

Nintendo could easily cut stuff to get down to $200, maybe ecen $170.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

redd214

@WebHead yeah my main thing is durability. My kids are 8 and 10 and we take pretty good care of our stuff but we've been through a good amount of joycons. From the sticks not working, to not locking onto the sides properly, etc I've found them to be the most fragile part of the system. If they had a model without them I think I'd be a bit more sturdy. Seeing as we play mostly handheld anyways we'd only need one that connects to the TV so we'd be good. I know my perspective is unique and not representive of everyone but it would be great for us.

Edit: Doubt they'd go that low on the price but they could theoretically, but I think $200 is the max. You figure the charge 90 for a dock alone, another 20 for the grip and if they cut out the hd rumble and all the other tech in the joycons I don't see why they would bring on an "entry level" model.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

JaxonH

Nobody here is playing Sphinx???

Hidden gem from what I hear. Been watching some gameplay from Spawnwave and NintendoEverything, reading reddit posts about how good it is. Basically classic Zelda with some Metroid mixed in.

Apparently it released on Switch but not the other consoles. Which surprises me. I think I’m going to take advantage of that and pick a copy up. BestBuy is sold out online. Amazon for full price it is- I feel too lazy for store pickup at BestBuy even with $6 off via GCU- rather pay the extra money and have delivered.

@NEStalgia
Sounds about right

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy X, Darksiders, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, LABO VR, Chocobo’s Dungeon, Trials Rising
X1: Far Cry New Dawn, Trials Fusion
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/PSVR/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

AlohaPizzaJack

Good. I love me some Dr Mario

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

WebHead

That is great and all but idk ehat that has to do with switch

WebHead

IceClimbers

Dr Mario is a good fit for mobile.

Anyways, there's a NIS sale on the US eShop. There's a few good indie titles also on sale: Freedom Planet, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, World of Goo, West of Loathing, Pool Panic.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Knuckles-Fajita

I found the Nintendoom guy.

Trending ahead of PS4 sales ewuivalent at 22 months, software sales (the main money maker) increased projections and numerous multi million sellers.

But nah. Huge failure.

This guy probably also expects a lot of his wife too.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

WebHead

Could see Switch Mini being released in may or june. Device will likely be aimed at kids so get it out in time for summer vacation. If not august to get it out before school starts again.

WebHead

SamusLv7

Agreed. I hope that this year Nintendo make more durable joycons. Edit: My comment (including the agree part) is about the joycon issues.

Edited on by SamusLv7

SamusLv7

CrazyZelda79

WebHead wrote:

Could see Switch Mini being released in may or june. Device will likely be aimed at kids so get it out in time for summer vacation. If not august to get it out before school starts again.

If this is true i hope it still has replaceable controls as worn out buttons and analog sticks are my biggest complaint about handhelds.

..............(FAVORITE)...............
Game: Killer Instinct (Arcade)
Quote: Stupid is as stupid does.
Movie: The Shawshank Redemption.
Food & Drink: Sirloin Steak & Strawberry Milk (Not Together)
Band: Green Day

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

IceClimbers

"Expanding the Gaming Population" is no longer Nintendo's core basic strategy. After 40 years, they've abandoned that strategy.

Their new basic strategy: "Expanding the Number of People who have Access to Nintendo IP". Their three pillars are their dedicated video game business, mobile, and IP expansion.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-%E2%80%9Cexpanding-...

CrazyZelda79

Yea i don't know about that.

CrazyZelda79

Yes it's pretty much confirmed the Switch will indeed be a great success and only the Wii can keep it from being the best selling Nintendo home console ever.

Edited on by CrazyZelda79

Therad

@redd214 the dock is overpriced though. It doesn't cost Nintendo much to produce. They will need to do some significant changes to the switch itself.

The joycons and GPU are the main candidates. If they want a really low price, they need to change those two to something cheaper. Also, if they want a smaller unit, the GPU needs to be less power hungry. Tegra isn't exactly famoused for their power efficiency.

I haven't seen any breakdowns of joycon costs to see how much could be saved there.

Therad

Anti-Matter

Nintendo should consider South East Asian eshop and expand their business on South East Asian region.
They can choose Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand for their new HQ.
But, Nintendo can consider Indonesia as their alternative new HQ. 😁

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

electrolite77

It’s weird, I’ve always thought a Switch Mini such an obvious next step it surprises me when there’s so much debate about it. I think it’ll still be dockable but no dock included and have fixed controls instead of joycons. If they can’t et it even slightly thinner around the screen they could put a thin plastic screen cover on. All current games and accessories will work.

It’s going to be 2013 all over again.

2013 3DS (the golden year for the System) - Luigis Mansion, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, 2D Zelda, new more durable and cheaper hardware variant

2018 Switch - Luigis Mansion, Pokemon, Fire Emeblem, Animal Crossing, 2D Zelda (it’s runoured anyway), new more durable and cheaper hardware variant

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

IceClimbers

@electrolite77 Wouldn't the analog sticks get in the way if you tried to dock it with the current dock?

Edited on by IceClimbers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic