Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 38,921 to 38,940 of 39,492

Therad

JaxonH wrote:

Wow, pretty dang good. Shouldn't have said 20 mil though. Cause now, even though they're like, blowing PS4 away, its gonna seem like a disappointment.

@IceClimbers
I'm willing to bet Skyrim sold a million in 2018 as well.

It was quite an ambitious goal, and the output of first party titles haven't really matched that. I wonder if they had games in the pipeline that either got removed or were pushed into later dates they thought would strengthen the sales.

The ones I can think of are three houses and yoshi. I also see Bayonetta 3 as suspicious, feels like it should be released closer to the re-release of the older titles.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Lemmy_the_Koopa

@Therad I think you might be right on this, especially with the Direct that came out at the second half of 2018 heavily relying on Smash & the Let's Go entries. Admittedly, that paid of handsomely, going by the incredible sales numbers, but I'd wager they could have done a bit more, if there would have been an additional title to bolster the range of available games.

I really hope they come out guns blazin' in the next direct and I wager that is the reason why they did not show one as of now, especially after the MP4 blunder they probably want to nail down some release dates.

Lemmy_the_Koopa

WebHead

Another pretty good reason that a switch handheld could happen: rumors and leaks going around that Apple will release both a new iPad Mini and a new iPod Touch this year.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

JackEatsSparrows

...Switch is already handheld.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

WebHead

@JackEatsSparrows yes but still kinda bulky for one. Its beem successful but has not really caught on with kids. Plus 3ds is performing below projections as confirmed today. Nintendo had to slash thier 3ds forecast in half today. Its time for a proper replacement.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

1UP_MARIO

@WebHead but without the joycons it’s still smaller than the iPad mini plus Its not really a dedicated games console it caters to different needs

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

As gamers we never die. We always have spare 1ups here and there and everywhere

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Agriculture

WebHead wrote:

@JackEatsSparrows yes but still kinda bulky for one. Its beem successful but has not really caught on with kids. Plus 3ds is performing below projections as confirmed today. Nintendo had to slash thier 3ds forecast in half today. Its time for a proper replacement.

The Switch is actually built on 20 nm technology. The latest iPhone is on 7 nm. The latest iPhone to use 20 nm is the iPhone 6. In other words, there is a lot of room to make a smaller Switch. If they use a 10 nm process, then it would generate a significantly amount less heat, requiring a smaller fan. And the power consumption would be less, requiring a smaller battery. A Switch with the size and form factor of the PS Vita would probably be possible.

The only thing I would be concerned about is game compatibility if it doesn't have joycons.

Agriculture

JackEatsSparrows

@WebHead So the proper replacement should be a unit that's smaller? That would mean less battery life, too. And it would have to have no additional or removed features in order to not fracture the install base and hurt sales of the current Switch.
Either way, an iPad and iPod wouldn't exactly warrant this because they're not competing on the same things or market share.
I think Switch is doing just fine the way it is, but that's my two cents

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Therad

I think a new handheld will happen. And I don't think it will be 100% compatible with switch. But I think it will be super-easy to port between them.

Therad

WebHead

@JackEatsSparrows there'll be a die shrink for the soc to be more power efficient and a smaller switch would have a less power hungry screen. So no battwry life would not be a problem.

WebHead

WebHead

@Therad an HDS would be kinda dope. Regardless a proper replacement for 3DS has to come at some point.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

Mrtoad

MK8DX and SMO have outsold the Wii U:
Wii U: 13.56 million
SMO: 13.76 million
MK8DX: 15.02 million

Going nowhere at all...

cambotero

I can't really agree with you:
A supossed Tegra X1 chip built with 10 nm technology would in fact generate less heat and consume less power, but:
-The difference would not be enough for allowing to reduce the size of the batery in a noticeable amount. Remember that there are several other components consuming power, for example the screens are always responsable fro a high percentage of portable devices power consumption. Nintendo could look for a less power hungry screen, OLED technology for example, but it would be more expensive.
-The fan is already quite small, the limiting factor here is that you need to leave free space for the air to move out of the device.
-And last but not least: as far as I know, Tegra X1 is currently only available on 20 nm technology. It is a SOC that already is some years old, and I wouldn't expect Nvidia to do again all the layout and screening process and spend all the money that would be needed for manufacturing the SOC under a new technology. Even if they do, the result would be a more expensive SOC, as 10 nm manufactuing process is more expensive than 20 nm.

So, although I agree with you on the idea that Nintendo is going to release a new version of the Switch, that will be handheld only, I don't think that the main factor regarding size reduction of the device will be the manufacturing technology of the SOC.

Agriculture wrote:

WebHead wrote:

The Switch is actually built on 20 nm technology. The latest iPhone is on 7 nm. The latest iPhone to use 20 nm is the iPhone 6. In other words, there is a lot of room to make a smaller Switch. If they use a 10 nm process, then it would generate a significantly amount less heat, requiring a smaller fan. And the power consumption would be less, requiring a smaller battery. A Switch with the size and form factor of the PS Vita would probably be possible.

The only thing I would be concerned about is game compatibility if it doesn't have joycons.

cambotero

Mrtoad

Game copies sold between September 30th-December 31st:
Kirby Star Allies: .32 million (2.1 million →2.42 million)
Mario Tennis Aces: .37 million (2.16 million→2.53 million)
1 2 Switch: .22 million (2.64 million→2.86 million)
Super Mario Party: 5.30 million (0→5.30 million)
Splatoon 2: .80 million (7.47 million→ 8.27)
PLG: 10 million (0→10 million)
TLOZ: BOTW: 1.4 million (10.28 million →11.68 million)
Smash Ultimate: 12.08 million (0→12.08 million)
Super Mario Odyssey: 1.59 million (12.17 million→13.76 million)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 3.31 million (11.71 million→15.02 million)

Edited on by Mrtoad

Going nowhere at all...

Therad

@cambotero this is my thinking. If they want to significantly reduce cost for an handheld, it should use another chipset. Which probably won't make it hardware compatible.

Therad

IceClimbers

Mobile is their entry point for young kids. Switch and Mobile are their two pillars.

Most likely scenario is that they release what's essentially their own version of an iPod Touch that will play microtransaction-free versions of their mobile titles. It will also have an app that plays GB/GBC games and that Game Boy grip that they patented will come with it. A Switch version of the GB/GBC app will launch later in the year for NSO subscribers.

They're not launching a completely new dedicated handheld.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Therad

@IceClimbers I thought so as well before, but I have changed my mind. I have nothing to back it up though.

Therad

PikPi

I highly doubt Nintendo would release a handheld that isn't an actual handheld console. I see a 3DS successor or a Switch revision, but definitely not some Nintendo-app-only phone thing

Edited on by PikPi

PikPi

ReaderRagfihs

Nintendo's mobile games are more meant to make people wish they were playing on actual Nintendo hardware, so while I can see them pushing out a slow and steady stream of mobile content, I wouldn't bet on them doing more than that.

But then again, those millions of dollars Pokemon Go makes every month are hard to ignore.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread
Wii/DS games online post shutdown

Aozz101x

Nintendo Switch Mini and another service for switch is coming mid 2019 according to Nikkei.
https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-nikkei-claims-smaller-sw...

P3FES (PS2: Male/Aigis), P3P (PSP: Female), FO4 (PC), SSBU (NS),
SM64DS, FF:CC (NGC), SADX (NGC), Syphon Filter: DM (PSP),
Death Jr (PSP), Tobal 2 (PS1), THUG 2 (NGC), AC: Popular Growning (NGC), AC: City Folk (Wii), Captain Rainbow (Wii)

3DS Friend Code: 3153-5789-3951 | Nintendo Network ID: Aozz101x

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic