Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,761 to 37,780 of 42,456

Anti-Matter

I dunno what the heck is this....
Founded from Internet.

Slightly Mad Studios CEO Ian Bell has revealed the company is developing a standalone console. Exact hardware and software specs haven't been announced yet, but Bell has provided a few details.

The first mention of the console came via Twitter, when Bell tweeted, "The Mad Box is coming." Bell told Variety that the Mad Box will probably release in about three years and support up to 120 frames-per-second for virtual reality play. "It will support most major VR headsets and those upcoming and the specs will be equivalent to a very fast PC two years from now," Bell wrote. "We're in early talks with manufacturers of components so we can't say much more right now other than we have the designs specced out in detail."

When it comes to games on the console, Bell wrote, "We think exclusives are 'exclusionary' but given that we'll be shipping a cross platform engine to all developers it will be their choice. As of now we have no plans to pay developers 'incentives' to exclude other hardware vendors." He further explained that Slightly Mad Studios thinks "the industry is a little too much of a monopoly or a micro oligopoly," and The Mad Box aims to bring some healthy competition to the console race, which for years has pretty much exclusively been a three-way battle between Microsoft's Xbox, Sony's PlayStation, and Nintendo's hardware.

Bell added that early design builds for the Mad Box will be revealed in about four to six weeks. The Mad Box is planned to release worldwide and be competitively priced in comparison to other upcoming consoles. "We have multiple investors already offering the required funding for us to see the product to completion, but it's still early days and we're looking at the best offers right now," Bell wrote.

A New Competitor ?!

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

1UP_MARIO

The direct is on the 11th because everyone says 10th and I might be right.
My source is ketchup

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Grumblevolcano

The direct is delayed to February 14th because everyone is underestimating NSMBU Deluxe and Nintendo wants you to buy it

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Knuckles-Fajita

Id like my birthday to be Direct free this yesr so the 1oth works for me

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

HobbitGamer

The Direct was yesterday, but it was simulcast on television within the US C-Span 3 feed.
My source is the source of all knowledge, the mighty peanut

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@gcunit yea at this point I can probably justify $10 a pop for n64 games. There's only a few id actually want that i didn't have on my original n64 that still works. It would be for ds gba and some Wii u/ wii content that I can't get on switch. I'm honestly not sure I can wait for new zelda games to be ported to switch. I'm too impatient for that business lol. The only ones I'm holding off on for now is twilight and skyward. Twilight because its $50 for digital as i couldn't find a physical online priced right and skyward because im still thinking a switch port is coming soon

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

Europe has a New Year eshop sale which ends January 10th, can't see the whole list yet because the last sale hasn't finished. But the games listed in the Switch news section are 1-2-Switch, Snipperclips, MK8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Rocket League and Octopath Traveler.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

This January, Nintendo will be hosting a Nintendo Indirect. If you want to know upcoming games for this year, I'm afraid we are all going to have to pester printing companies, rating boards and retail pre-order lists. Please understand.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

shadow-wolf

@bluemage1989 Thanks for replying! In that case I'll look into Ocarina of Time on Wii U VC again. I was hoping for an N64 Mini release and/or N64 catalogue on Switch announcement this year, but it looks like neither will be happening unfortunately.

shadow-wolf

bluemage1989

@shadow-wolf I feel you I was excited as the next man about an N64 mini and I hope one day we see it along with a GBC/GBA mini (a micro with preinstalled games would do nicely and come on Nintendo don't tell me that wouldnt sell).

While I'm sure being an N64 veteran you will have already played Wave Race 64 I recommend picking it up as well as it still plays incredibly well and is a lot of fun.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Yeah, you're like an over-exaggerated caricature of me Like the SNL sketch version of myself as a roast.

For me the convenience of switch is the "where I can play" and the "ok I have 2 minutes, let me just squeeze a few more battles/stages in" handheld aspect. The hybridization doesn't work as well for western style action games where picking it up for 2 minutes doesn't get you anywhere, for me. Docked, it doesn't have any more convenience for me than the other two machines though, other than that I can, of course, continue my same game. I don't have a fancy self power-on TV, and I keep X1 in Instant On and PS4 in Rest, so they both get from off to home screen only slightly slower than Switch....which if they were handheld would be unbearable, but otherwise, they all get to home screen faster than my HDMI matrix switch can fire up, HDCP handshake, get the headphones powered on, and take the monitor out of standby, so it's a (mostly, give or take 12 seconds) even experience between the 3 consoles (Switch is still simpler of course without HDDs and power outages getting out of sync.) As a result I find my Switch usage is weirdly still divided like 3DS/WiiU between "games I want to play on screen" (Odyssey, LGPikachu, Smash) and games I want to play handheld (XC2, Octopath, most indies & Nintendo platformers, and RPGs.) Only a few (Splatoon, Arms) have spent much time going back and forth. So when I do sit on the couch I'm likely to decide to use the chance to play some non-Switch games I can't play otherwise if I don't have a specific Switch-only game I want to play. It's a weird dynamic.

Plus, I play on a monitor, so jaggies bother me. Supersampling on X/Pro fixes that. Nintendo first party games tend to look great. But games like Starlink have shimmers all over the place and it drives me nuts. And, if you are an audiophile, cursed with hearing artifacts....switch games do tend to compress audio horrendously....I do have to make a conscious choice "do I want to play game X as a treat for the eyes and ears to immerse in, or do I want to play it as a functional game to burn through". I don't fault Switch...that's a necessary limitation of it's form factor for now. But it does present having to choose. Rayman Legends on Switch versus X1X is radically different in audio quality for example. XC2's soundtrack really shines even more than in the game by itself (I imported it....couldn't not!), highlighting the compression as well.

Still it will likely be my favorite system of all time to date....but X1X is giving it a run for its money....the 3.5 generations of back library all on one box really changed my approach to the machine.

My perfect dream system would be Switch's form factor...maybe with a bigger, brighter display, and a magic new storage medium that allowed uncompressed audio to fit, along with >1080p for supersampling. Switch 3 might get there...then that will be the most perfect system ever.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@bluemage1989 You pretty much summed it up well, while Wii U VC is not perfect it's still the best option out there for Nintendo retro games by far (strong collection of NES, SNES, GBA and DS in addition to a decent N64 and Wii collection). Can't really call a N64 collection strong if it doesn't have stuff like Smash and Banjo. The Wii collection being only decent is mostly ok as the Wii U has backwards compatibility with Wii games, only really becomes a problem if you like Fire Emblem though Radiant Dawn is mostly pointless if you haven't played Path of Radiance which is even more rare.

Grumblevolcano

EvilLucario

New Year's sale going on in NA and EU right now. Lots of good stuff like Splatoon 2, Octopath, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Mario + Rabbids. Go check it out!

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano The US eShop has that same sale it appears. The first party ones are 30% off. Hyrule Warriors is also included as well as a few third party games.

Mario + Rabbids Gold Edition is 67% off ($26.39). However it was at the VERY BOTTOM of the list for some reason.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Knuckles-Fajita

Turns out the birthday offers from Nintendo are still only 3DS and Wii U.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

IceClimbers

Kinda wish Ubisoft would be more consistent with which version of Starlink they put on sale lol.

Anyways Valkyria Chronicles 4 is only $29.99 right now. Might just have to finally bite at that price.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

shadow-wolf

@bluemage1989 I'm not actually an N64 veteran haha, far from it. But I was hoping an N64 mini would allow me to become just that. I love Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (played them both on Wii VC) and heard great things about Banjo Kazooie, Star Fox 64, etc. (and only played the DS version of Mario 64) so I was looking to try out more.

@bluemage1989 @Grumblevolcano One question to both of you though — how is Wii U VC for N64 (in particular, Ocarina of Time) compared to Wii VC for N64 (in particular, Ocarina of Time)? I really wanted to play Ocarina again but even after connecting my Wii via component cables to my HDTV, the game still hurts my eyes, as I'm playing in standard definition on the HDTV. I was hoping the Wii U VC version would upscale to 1080p, but online people have said that it does not. What do you think? Is there a noticeable improvement in resolution in the Wii U VC version of Ocarina of Time compared to the Wii VC version of Ocarina of Time? (If you don't have the Wii U VC version and Wii VC version of Ocarina, then any N64 game that you have both a Wii VC copy and Wii U VC copy will do — I just want to know if there is a noticeable resolution improvement in Wii U VC due to upscaling to 1080p or if the Wii U simply outputs to 480p.)

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

Morpheel

The same games as last year probably!

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic