Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,741 to 37,760 of 38,896

DarthNocturnal

N64 was probably where I got my introduction to most other Nintendo franchises. On NES, we had Mario, a few licensed games (mostly Capcom Disney games, which are actually decent) and two of those unlicensed Bible games.

We did have a Playstation as well, but I guess FF was somewhat beyond me at that point, and... that was pretty much all we had. My sibling seemingly had no interest in the likes of Crash or Spyro. They did get MGS though.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Delibheel

Our SNES spent 90% of it's time confiscated under our parents bed until I unearthed it some years ago and now it lives in my closet, waiting.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ralizah

@DarthNocturnal We supported the heck out of the NES. I owned 35+ games at one point.

I'm still annoyed that the Disney Afternoon Collection never released on Switch. :/ Capcom's Disney games were simply phenomenal back then. Darkwing Duck. Ducktales. Rescue Rangers. etc.

Although I still think Virgin Games' Aladdin on Genesis is superior to the Capcom one on SNES. Not at all influenced by my nostalgia for the system, I'm sure.

Ralizah

JackEatsSparrows

@DarthNocturnal You mean...King of Kings? Loved that game, it was pretty solid. I also had Exodus on Gameboy. Or as I call it, DigDug Moses

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

DarthNocturnal

@Ralizah

Yeah, I'd like that Afternoon Collection on a system that has better Dpad options. Darkwing Duck was one we owned (and still own) on NES, and I'd like to think save states (or rewind... does Afternoon have rewind?) will make it easier to get into.

We have Aladdin on Genesis, haha. I always enjoyed it. Except the carpet ride level... not as bad as the bike levels in Battletoads (especially since you skipped it after dying X amount of times), but yeesh.

@JackEatsSparrows

Exodus and Bible Adventures.

ReaderRagfihs

We had NES and N64, but no SNES. To this day, the only place I've played a SNES is at my cousin's house. And once at extended care at school (this was actually where we were introduced to Mario is Missing. We all hated it).

I did end up playing many of the big games on GBA though.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread

JackEatsSparrows

I never played Bible Adventures, but KoK has some cool music. I liked Bee 52, and was more than a little disappointed this month when I remembered that it wasn’t called Twin Bee ☹️

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Well, I can't fault Toejam and Sonic...they sat next to my NES and SNES happily. How did you switch from NES to Sega/PS though?

@DarthNocturnal "Unlicensed Bible games" there is SOOOOOOO much wrong with this sentence I don't even know where to begin.

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

@NEStalgia

The irony isn't lost on me. I think that was just the developer's MO. Even before the Bible games.

Super 3D Noah's Ark (aka Noah DOOM) required a licensed SNES game to be locked on to it, Sonic & Knuckles-style, in order to bypass protection.

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal There is so much more wrong with this post than the last one......can not process.....

I decided to check out Super 3D Noahs Ark and what I found did not disappoint.....how....why....I mean....howwhy.....?

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

Untitled

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@NEStalgia My family got an NES and then a Genesis, and I was too young to protest. The PS1 was my idea, though. Spyro looked amazing. And, for the time, it was. It's like a better Mario 64, but with actual voice acting. From that point, I was a Sony fan until the PS3. The high price point made me opt for an Xbox 360 instead, which... I don't hate. It had some good exclusives. But I was sufficiently disinterested in its hardware and library overall that it knocked me out of gaming for years. I had a DS, but I mainly used it to play older GBA games once in a while. What really got me back into gaming, and what made me a Nintendo fan, was playing Super Mario Galaxy. Now, I'm not a fan of pointer controls or the Wii's hardware overall, but that game is AMAZING fun. I'd forgotten what it's like to just have pure fun with a video game. From that point, I nabbed a 3DS in 2011 and really dug into its library for years. Also picked up a Wii U in 2014. Gaming went from a thing I did once in a blue moon to my pre-eminent hobby.

Ralizah

Ralizah

Tiny Metal is apparently on sale.

I forget. Is it worth nabbing for a fan of Advance Wars?

Ralizah

Tsurii

Some Shantae fans around? I've been interested in getting one of the games for a longass time now and it seems the games that are on switch are all on sale, I'm not sure which one is the one to get tho. I'm pretty sure I've read one of them kind of sucks/that only one is actually really great but I have no idea which title that was. I think I remember fand of the series saying the Metroidvania one isn't quite up there or something?

Some help would be appreciated lel

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Delibheel

They're all kinda Metroidvania like as far as I know.

Edited on by Delibheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

link3710

@Tsurii I haven't played them all but:

Half-Genie Hero is the newest, and the one with the most broken base. What's there is good, but there's a lot of backtracking that turns a lot of people off. You'll run through basically every area at least twice. I enjoyed it for what it was, but considering the hype around it there was a lot of backlash.

Pirate's Curse was before that, and is generally regarded as the best entry. No genie powers here, instead you'll use pirate gear. But it came together pretty well?

Risky's Revenge was the one before that. I haven't played it, but as a DSiware title it probably wasn't very long? I know it was one of the only titles on the service that caught any major attention.

The original game is for the Game Boy Color, and was really fun. It's stuck with a lot of limitations due to it's origin though, both in level design and graphics. It's a cult classic these days however, it probably would have sold great if it hadn't launched after the GBA came out as it's one of the best titles on the system.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Imagine if Nintendo started releasing those for the online service over SNES games

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Tsurii Hi! Shantae fan here.

TL/DR version: Buy Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

Longer version: Almost all of the Shantae games are Metroidvania-esque (actually, they're very similar to the Monster Boy games in this respect), beginning with the original Shantae on the GBC, which has you gaining transformations that you use to access new parts of the world map and dungeons. Risky's Revenge is similar, although it's shorter, easier, and missing the original game's more intricate dungeons. Pirate's Curse is a little more linear in design, but you explore pretty expansive environments. Half-Genie Hero is... a linear, arcade-style game with half-assed Metroidvania aspects that lessen the experience. While it's not an incredibly story-heavy series, the first three games form a trilogy that connect to one-another in small ways. Half-Genie Hero is a soft reboot, and is missing most of the fun dialogue and charm of the older games.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, in terms of actual gameplay, is perhaps the least traditionally Shantae-like, because your genie powers and transformations are replaced with pirate equipment, but the flipside of this is that the gameplay is much faster and more fluid due to its reliance on equipment over transformations. You can pull off a lot of crazy maneuvers in this game if you know what you're doing.

Pirate's Curse has the best dialogue, plot, character development, and difficulty curve in the series. It's one of my favorite action-platformers of all time.

Half-Genie Hero, on the other hand, is shallow in every regard, and replaces the fun, interconnected, Metroid-style environments with very linear and arcadey sequences where you're generally running from left to right. It could be OK if WayForward really leaned into this genre change, but the game is also pathetically easy on the standard difficulty and isn't willing to abandon its traditional conceits, so it forces a ton of backtracking. The problem is that these levels aren't designed with backtracking in mind, so it becomes rather like scouring Mega Man levels you've already beaten to find new routes and equipment. Except these levels aren't nearly as well-designed as your average Mega Man game.

There's still some fun to be had with Half-Genie Hero, and the new artstyle is beautiful, but I'll always recommend Pirate's Curse over it, as well as over most games in the genre.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Tsurii

@Ralizah thanks, buddy. Half Genie Hero does look pretty damn near, immediately caught my eye when I first saw it but some comments about it had me wary about getting into the games as a whole. But now that sale we've got in Europe made me consider getting one of them again and I might as well ask, right? Worked real well, too haha

The item stuff sounds pretty cool to me. Cooler than the transformations at least, and now that I know about that I feel like I remember a pretty positive review on that by Somecallmejohnny, who seems to have a fairly similar taste in games to me outside of me not liking Mega Man at all lol

I'm gonna buy that one. I wasn't too keen on Monster Boy tbh, I'll just hope that Shantae either grabs me as much as I'm expecting or be a hell of a lot less...wishywashy about everything than that game (got the first remake switch got and let's just say I wasn't impressed by it, even tho I think I did get relatively far into it. I think I already had the lion, no idea if that tells people who played the game anything about my progress, it felt almost too open ended to me tbh. But maybe I was just missing something super obvious)

Gonna download it later and give it a spin after some more Diablo I think. If I don't forget I'll get back to you if I have any trouble/if I end up loving the game 😂

Edit: oh, hey. Pirate's Curse was a freebie for me haha
Had 1100+ gold coins, nice.

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic