Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,721 to 37,740 of 42,745

Alantor28

Hmm, all this talk about the Wii U has me saying a lot of its flaws before the Switch succeeded when the Wii U failed.

First off, it's very uncomfortable when playing New Super Mario Bros Wii U using the Gamepad.

Second, playing Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U was a bit of a hassle because I had to memorize where to put my mining stuff and the map on the Gamepad wasn't very helpful.

Third, the Gamepad has some faulty defects in it. It refuses to respond whenever I try to turn it on. I have to unplug it which is headache inducing.

Four, the very small storage the Wii U has is very frustrating and you need an portable HDD to get some more room for your games.

Finally, there are some issues with the Wii U that I forgot.

Overall, while I like the Wii U, I can't help but agree with the people who say it is a colossal failure. When I got the Switch on my 30th birthday, I am glad it is doing very well despite its flaws and has succeeded what the Wii U failed to do.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

bluemage1989

@NEStalgia I have been a multi format gamer for 25 years starting with Sega and Nintendo before changing to Xbox and Nintendo in early 2000s and while I have greatly enjoyed other companies output in my time gaming I'm arriving at this point now where Nintendo commands all of my attention. I have RDR 2 amongst others and have made a few attempts to make a dent in it but I'm drawn away by the something first party from the Switch or by something retro (via VC/Mini Consoles/original hardware) or a forgotten gem on the Wii/WiiU/3DS. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with third parties or indies but I'm thoroughly satisfied with those that are appearing on Switch and don't feel like I am missing out on anything by not picking up titles for the Xbox One. I'm glad to see all companies doing well as a thriving industry benefits everyone regardless of the console they play and the more big companies there is involved the more innovation we will see. I just find myself rapidly losing interest in non Nintendo hardware. I'd love to be able to explain or understand this sudden shift away from multi platform ownership but I don't understand myself so I'm just going to put it down to getting old!!

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

1UP_MARIO

@nintendobynature it’s a great system. Get it. Plus has great games and the price of games are great.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

bluemage1989

@nintendobynature the NES/SNES minis are great little buys as well if you want a 'greastest hits' of those consoles but I feel the WiiU has the edge by means of having more titles available as well as N64 and GBA which are unlikely to see a Mini anytime soon.

Also worth checking out any local buying and selling groups on Facebook. In my experience the prices are considerably lower and sellers will generally let you power on and inspect before buying.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

NEStalgia

@bluemage1989 Eh, it's not about getting old. I actually shifted away from PSXBox in 7th gen. My 360 started collecting dust. My PS3 already had a blanket of dust. I bought a launch day PS4....it collected lots of dust. 3DS commanded most of my attention. WiiU picked up the rest. All I needed was Nintendo. I was done with the PC clones. Flash forward to the past year and I've somehow accumulated 200 games on the PC clones and have a renewed interest in the sudden swell of older games on those platforms as well as a fair amount of new stuff. Though a big Nintendo release instantly pulls me back of course. I think as gamers we're naturally drawn to shiny new things + nostalgia fits. We'll settle into one groove for a while, then get drawn in another unexpectedly.

For me though the contest is between the difference in play feel. World of FF for example. I now have on both Switch and PS4(Pro). It looks so much more beautiful and mesmerising on the PS4....yet I love the handheld play. I wish I could cross-platform save to get the best of both worlds Switch is winning for now. But I keep thinking....maybe I should see it in the best experience it could be instead. Laziness is winning for now.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Alantor28
I never experienced any defects. Mine always turned on just fine, and on top of that turns my TV on as well, which was one of my fave tricks the U had up its sleeve.

It was actually comfy for its size, but admittedly not as much as a pro controller

It had its flaws but, over all my biggest complaint was how slow it took to boot, to launch settings, or do anything. I love Switch sleep mode. So instant. Like docking and instantly switching to the TV and vise versa. Instant pics. Etc

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Team Sonic Racing, Assassin’s Creed 3, Darksiders
PS4 / PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / GPDwin2 / Wii U / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

shadow-wolf

@Grumblevolcano @JaxonH @bluemage1989 I see you all have been mentioning VC as one of the highlights of the Wii U. But weren’t there a lot of issues with VC emulation on the Wii U? I heard N64 games weren’t that great for example, Ocarina of Time was much darker than the Wii version and the original, some SNES games had stuttering and lag, some NES games were darker than they should be, etc.

I really wanted to play Ocarina of Time in HD but the Wii U’s issues with it made me hold back. Now I’m waiting for an N64 Mini or N64 games to show up on Switch, and neither look like they're coming anytime soon if at all ...

shadow-wolf

Alantor28

nintendobynature wrote:

@Alantor28 cant you use an sd or micro sd card to expand storage or a flash thumb drive type deal?

SD Cards sadly don't store games and DLC and patches in the Micro SD cards or SD cards, only an external hard drive can do that.

bluemage1989

@NEStalgia I don't know if it is Nintendo doing something so right or the rest of the industry is just getting to me but it certainly feels a lot more permanent them one of my previous grooves. As my kids leave the toddler stage and enjoy gaming more and more and really enjoy Nintendo I wonder if maybe that youthful enthusiasm is infectious. Regardless I hope you enjoy getting through those 200 games its incredible to be gaming in a day and age and a world where there are two hundred readily available quality games. It makes me feel a lot better about my thirty game backlog!!

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Alantor28

nintendobynature wrote:

@Alantor28 thank you for the info. Never had to buy one unfortunately. Any That you recommend?

Hmm, sorry I can't help you with that.

Anti-Matter

@Alantor28
"Finally, there are some issues with the Wii U that I forgot."

Here....
Wii U Gamepad battery power will Completely Drained off if you don't use it very long time. I have to plug it with electricity first if i want to play with my Wii U after long hiatus. That's suck.... 😕

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

bluemage1989

@shadow-wolf i never experienced any lag myself as for being darker yes they could be but to be honest I never even noticed until I saw an article with side by side comparison so I can say it honestly doesn't affect my enjoyment. What it does well is giving you a good sized catalogue of quality games available legally on a modern console at a reasonable price (I'm sure there will be those who disagree on the reasonable price bit) and without the need to have older hardware set up. WiiU VC isn't perfect but I'd say it is the easiest way to experience Nintendo's back catalogue.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
"My 360 started collecting dust."

Can i have your Xbox 360 ?
I want to play Dance Dance Revolution Universe 1 - 3, some Kinect games, Final Fantasy XIII, etc.
Just kidding ! 😆

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

bluemage1989

JaxonH wrote:

It had its flaws but, over all my biggest complaint was how slow it took to boot, to launch settings, or do anything. I love Switch sleep mode. So instant. Like docking and instantly switching to the TV and vise versa. Instant pics. Etc

Everything on Switch is so snappy it honestly has set the bar high for user interfaces now. I hope any improvements on the Switch interface don't come at the cost of that snappiness.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

EvilLucario

Idk, am I the only one who thought the GamePad was more comfortable than the Wii U Pro Controller? I really liked it. It's not as good as the Joy-Cons (in handheld at least, not in the dog grip) or Switch Pro Controller, but still really good.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
I think as gamers we're naturally drawn to shiny new things + nostalgia fits. We'll settle into one groove for a while, then get drawn in another unexpectedly

That’s actually a fair point. Except my phases last years at a crack. When PS4 had just released, I was all over that thing. It didn’t really have any good games at the time. Killzone Shadowfall and later a Tomb Raider port. But man... did I play that thing to death. Mediocre game? Didn’t matter. I just loved playing on PS4.

So ya, I think you may have a fair point there. When PS5/X4 release, I may well swing back into that phase again

@bluemage1989
That’s a big part of why I like only playing on Switch I think... how snappy it is. It’s SO QUICK to boot the system out of sleep, and it auto turns the TV on and switches inputs. It’s just so easy to jump back in. And even easier in handheld mode.

I think that’s honestly why.

Cause I noticed I NEVER seem to play my PC, whereas I will at least play X1/PS4 from time to time. And the reason is it takes way longer to boot up, I have to manually turn on the tv, change the input, then change the HDMI switcher input, grab a Controller, grab the keyboard, start steam... it’s just a hassle. Whereas PS4/X1 are at least moderately more convenient. Not convenient enough though. Switch is IT. It’s just so dang convenient to use. Important to note though- I never play PC but I do indeed play GPD Win 2. And... it’s gotta be the convenience. It’s nested on a Wii U gamepad cradle stand, ready to go 24/7, set to hibernate when the lid closes. Super fast boot in seconds back into the OS. No inputs to Switch, no TV to turn on, no HDMI switcher to toggle... just grab and play.

It’s something that doesn’t sound like a very good selling point. “Oh ya uh, it boots out of sleep right away, switches between console and handheld right away, and takes pics right away”. Like ok, that’s cool and all but... that’s why you don’t play any other console??? Yup. (Though on that note, even with X1 I cant stand the tiny delay between pressing the screenshot button and the actual capture, then waiting for the little notification to disappear so that you can take another...).

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Team Sonic Racing, Assassin’s Creed 3, Darksiders
PS4 / PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / GPDwin2 / Wii U / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic