Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 36,841 to 36,860 of 39,481

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia I mean that speaks to Doom's quality if it could make me, a non-shooter fan, grovel at its feet worshipping almost everything it does :^]

I think it just has to do with the Glory Kill mechanic and the level design. It being a sprawling set of arenas with no hiding spots really gets you in the action more easily, it tickles my sense of exploration really well, and Glory Kills incentives you going in close to finish the kill, which discourages just picking off dudes from afar which I don't really enjoy.

And the weapons. Those weapons are sexy af.

@Octane Combat just felt really off, you snap towards things like in Bayonetta but there's no lock-on to complement it, and enemies + your offensive options aren't that interesting imo. It's just like Witcher 3 combat (which was also medicore) in my book.

Also, what's with game developers putting attacks on the shoulder buttons??? That's just wrong. That's one innovation of Dark Souls that should have actually never caught on.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

link3710

@EvilLucario You're not the only one. DOOM is the closest thing to a traditional shooter I've ever enjoyed. Otherwise, it's just Metroid Prime, Splatoon, or Mass Effect, each of which is far from traditional.

link3710

NEStalgia

It's just funny because virtually every other shooter is an attempt to copy DOOM.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Eh I'd say they want to copy Halo and Call of Duty and Overwatch now. Doom and Quake pioneered the genre, but later shooters threw out the expansive level design which is the biggest reason why I don't like shooters nowadays.

Linearity isn't bad, Halo and the 360-era Call of Duty games had really good campaigns but most other shooters had terrible campaigns.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

For adventure games, it's Skyrim or maybe Elder Scrolls in general.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario Well "online shooters" versus "shooters" are different things. Halo had great level design, it just wasn't a maze like Doom/Quake. Destiny2 actually does pretty good level design, in a Halo sort of way (maybe a little DOOM in spots.) Titanfall 2 actually surprises me with a decent campaign layout. But yeah, most "shooters" mean "online shooters" now. Bleh.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano I don't see too many TES clones, really. I wish there were more! I guess Witcher goes for that. BotW did. Bug generally TES is unique.

(pun intended.)

NEStalgia

Octane

@EvilLucario You realise you had access to a bow and arrows, right?

That was 99% of my combat. The spear was only useful for finishers and taking out Watchers.

Octane

BrainOfGrimlock

I’m with you on Horizon’s combat, I thought it was awesome, albeit poorly explained at the beginning...

Blasting bits off the bigger beasts and systematically taking them down was one of my favourite things about it.

Surprised people only found the narrative so-so? I guess it has all been seen before but I still found it incredibly compelling (and the main reason id take it over botw any day).

BrainOfGrimlock

Octane

@BrainOfGrimlock I mean, that's like comparing a decent story to no story

I wasn't a big fan of how a good chuck of it was presented through voice recorders. The game also couldn't decide if it wanted to be sci-fi or not, until it eventually settled for fantasy. The story itself was alright, but I don't think it was anything special either.

Octane

JaxonH

I understand the whole “games piling up faster than I can buy them” sentiment. I have often thought about waiting for games to drop in price knowing that the vast majority of games I buy don’t get played very long. But with Gamers Club Unlocked 20% off and the 5% from credit card, being $45 day one, I think about it and decide it’s just not worth waiting at that price. But once my GCU subscription runs out in March 2020 that’s going to change. After that it’s must haves only. Rest can wait.

I still like building up a massive Switch library though, just because it’s a hybrid HD system and I think a lot of the games are going to stand the test of time. It’s nice having a library of games that can be played on a complete home console or on the Hd successor to 3DS, or in tabletop tablet mode with controllers. Multiplayer anywhere. It almost feels like this is a very brief golden age where the future has no guarantees- next generation Nintendo could decide to go in a completely different direction and abandon this amazing concept, and we might be left with only one device that ever truly served as a handheld and console and portable console in one. So it’s gobble gobble gobble as much as possible right now. I kind of feel like NEStalgia where it’s an entire Netflix library you don’t have to stream. And you never know what you’ll be in the mood for. Christmas comes, and it’s oh, I feel like some Fire Emblem Warriors today. Or oh, it’s New Years, I feel like some Dark Souls. Or at work and oh, I feel like some Mario Rabbids. It’s just nice having as diverse a library as possible because you get in different moods and you never know what you might feel like playing on any given day. It’s the only console I feel that way about though, probably because I know the library is not dependent on me being in one specific location on the planet to enjoy.

@Grumblevolcano
I’m not sure what you’re referring to with regard to system transfers. System transfers don’t rely on the cloud backups. It transfers the saves held on the actual system, which includes Splatoon 2 and all the others. You can safely transfer to any special edition system without losing any saves. Cloud saves are just optional backup on top of that. If something happened to your system, you would lose Splatoon 2 data. But not during a system transfer, which doesn’t require the online service or cloud saves.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Tales of Vesperia, NSMBU, No More Heroes, Diablo 3, Dark Souls
Wii U: Fire Emblem 7 [GBA]
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/PS4/PSVR/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH This video made it seem like transfer without cloud saves doesn't exist anymore. May just be poorly described though.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
That seems to be for trade in, when you’re actually trading in your system before you get the new one. In that case cloud saves are your only option. But a system to system transfer works exactly as it did on 3DS and Wii U, and actually transfers your entire account, saves and all, to the other system. You need both systems in the same room for the transfer. Then sell your system afterward. Or, perform the transfer at the store as you’re trading in.

So if you’re gonna sell your system and buy a new one, be sure to buy first, transfer, then sell. Or transfer at time of trade in. Or, if you don’t care about Splatoon 2/Pokémon/Dark Souls, the unfortunate trio, just use cloud saves.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

rallydefault

Finally some other people who acknowledge how mediocre Witcher 3's combat is. Just my crankiness coming out again, but it seems that all a game needs these days to be declared "super cool best ever" is if it has great graphics/aesthetic and mature cutscenes, actual gameplay be darned.

One of the reasons why I respect the DOOM remake. It didn't fall into the trap of becoming a modern game that is half cutscene, half gameplay. You're in the action almost right away, and rarely are you taken out of it as the game progresses. And the gameplay is solid.

rallydefault

JaxonH

I agree, Witcher 3 didn’t do it for me either. The combat killed an otherwise wonderful game. I got into an argument a few years back when I told a guy I liked Xenoblade Chronicles X more than Witcher 3, and he mocked me for it like it was “objective fact” Witcher 3 is better, and I’m just “in denial”... ughh. The things people say to try to feel superior over you

I still hold Xenoblade X in extremely high regard. Definitely a top 50 of all time, probably top 5 for JRPG genre. But ya, Witcher 3 didn’t do it for me. And if I’m being brutally honest here, neither did Skyrim with melee combat. I tried. But the melee combat is just... not good. It’s why it never gripped me. BUT. I loved the mage and using motion for the bow and magic... that I did like. And since my coworker holds it in the utmost regard as his favorite game of all time and the sole reason he bought a Switch, I do plan to go back and pick up where I left off some day. I couldn’t play it on another console though. Without the motion... it wouldn’t be nearly as fun. Thankfully, it does have the motion on Switch though and it does offer more than just melee playstyles.

edit
Seems Black Friday is even bigger than last year’s. And Amazon is raking in over 1/4 of all sales on BF now. They’re taking over. Also noteworthy is Nintendo Switch was best selling item on Thanksgiving day.

Amazon.com Inc. will account for 29% of U.S. sales during the five days spanning Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, Internet Retailer estimates. So far, Amazon’s Alexa-enabled devices were some of the best-selling items on Amazon.com on Thanksgiving. In addition to Amazon Devices, best-sellers on Thanksgiving included the Instant Pot and Nintendo Switch.

In addition, Amazon says its customers in the first nine hours of Black Friday have ordered more than 1 million toys and more than 700,000 fashion items. Additionally, the e-commerce giant says Black Friday is already on pace to surpass Black Friday last year, in terms of items ordered.

Adobe found the most popular items bought online on Thanksgiving included the Nintendo Switch, Beats headphones, Hot Wheels and video game Red Dead Redemption 2.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Yeah, that's honestly how I know there's been a general increase in games releasing. Last year I was able to avoid having a backlog at all and I didn't really skip over that many games I was interested in. This year though? Oh boy. I've built up a pretty sizeable backlog and I've had to skip over a bunch of games. I just can't keep up with the releases, and next year already looks to be insane.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

TW3's combat isn't bad, because if it is, a lot of games have bad combat. It just pales in comparison to the rest of the game.

Octane

redd214

I remember renting the Witcher 3 after all the praise it recieved and I too thought the combat was really poor. The surrounding game seemed extremely polished and well thought out but the combat/fighting/gameplay was subpar in my opinion as well. Only ended up playing 10 or so hours before sending ti back.

On a switch related note. Does anyone know if Nintendo will be selling the let's go themed joycons separately from the bundle? I swear I remember reading it somewhere but didn't find anything concrete.

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 Well, look at Elder Scrolls (which I still feel Witcher apes quite a bit), the combat is abysmal, but it's not for combat that you play it.

@JaxonH Amazon accounting for nearly 1/3 of all US consumer sales is a horrifying through on a multitude of levels. Something dramatic is going to have to change here with retail. A national monopoly general store is an express train to the USSR. Here I thought Walmart would have that distinction.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia well sure it's not only the combat you play for but when it's a large chunk of a game and is abysmal, kinda takes away from the total package imo. I'm not going to trudge through a 100s hour long rpg when it doesn't feel good to actually play no matter well done the story is. Never played or been interested in the ES games so no reference point there.

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic