Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 36,841 to 36,860 of 37,695

gcunit

I am very interested in Civ VI, but I have to admit to misguidedly thinking it was an RTS, rather than the turn-based game that it is (I'm also not a huge fan of the new art style for the series).

As such I'd rather try before I buy. Might have to finally give my Civ4 copy on Steam a go.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

I do plan on getting Pokemon at some point. Maybe after Christmas. But I'm not hugely excited for it.

Honestly, I couldn't be less hyped about Civ.

The only games I care about before 2019 are SEGA AGES: Phantasy Star, Sega Genesis Classics, and Smash. And I'm still debating if I'm getting the last one at launch.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Therad

gcunit wrote:

I am very interested in Civ VI, but I have to admit to misguidedly thinking it was an RTS, rather than the turn-based game that it is (I'm also not a huge fan of the new art style for the series).

As such I'd rather try before I buy. Might have to finally give my Civ4 copy on Steam a go.

CIV IV is a different kind of beast though. They have revamped many of the systems such as the entire army system, maps, religion and techs.

I suggest looking at a youtuber or two.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Farmboy74

@gcunit, I know that the IOS version of Civ 6 is free for the first 60 turns. If you have access to an iPad it might be worth to give that a go until you have to pay any money

Farmboy74

gcunit

@Farmboy74 Thanks for the tip. My work phone has IOS so I might look into seeing if I can get it to install on there.

@Therad I'll keep that in mind too, thanks.

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NEStalgia

@gcunit Yeah, Civ is a very different game from an RTS. It's a game played mostly in the menus, reading the trees and stats. It's the pinnacle of hardcore PC-ish-ness from back in the day.

It's astonishingly addictive though.... It doesn't feel like "playing a spreadsheet" the way Master of Orion and such did.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Master of Orion games were my jam back when. Oh, and Journeyman Project. And Encarta MindMaze. Don’t judge me.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ReaderRagfish

HobbitGamer wrote:

And Encarta MindMaze.

I still have this actually. And the computer that I played it on. It was pretty cool.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer Journeyman saved me from having to attack you through the screen. I have MOO installed on all my computers. It integrates with Outlook so much better than it used to.

NEStalgia

Octane

@PCkid I promised you a reveal, a bunch of info was released a while ago. I had to look it up myself, because you can't expect a Nintendo fan site to report on Nintendo news these days

There's a teaser trailer and a bunch of screenshots:

''The theme is building. Create your very own secret base—the only one in the world! Build your own relaxation space! Gather materials to make parts and traps! You can even create gigantic forts!''

Concept art: https://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Ninja-Box_2018...
Gameplay: https://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Ninja-Box_2018...
Gameplay: https://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Ninja-Box_2018...
Main character: https://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Ninja-Box_2018...

Looks more Dragon Quest Builders than I was expecting. Gameplay screenshots look a little rough IMO.

You can read a bit more over here: https://gematsu.com/2018/11/ninja-box-teaser-trailer-first-sc...

Octane

bluemage1989

@HobbitGamer Encarta Mind Maze that brings back some memories of my youth stares out of the window to the sea I have only just begun to realise how old I am getting.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Lego DC Super Villains and Super Mario Party.

WiiU: Yoshi's Woolly World

N64: Donkey Kong 64.

NEStalgia

Remember when "multimedia" was a marketing buzzword?

NEStalgia

Magician

E3 is a long ways away. Yet I'm eager for its arrival. PS5, Xbox Scarlet, Switch Pro. I think MS is tired of being in third place, Sony has everything to lose, and Nintendo excels at "doing just enough". I don't believe I've been this excited about hardware competition since Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox, and Gamecube all shared a slice of the industry.

Switch Physical Collection - 227 games (as of December 11th, 2018)
Currently playing: Mercenaries Saga (Switch) Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP) Fallout 76 (PS4)

Grumblevolcano

Sony's not going to be at E3 2019 which is rather interesting.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano This appears to just be a rumor.

EDIT: Sorry, apparently I'm wrong!

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

subpopz

I'm about the complete opposite. The hardware race is so incremental now. Next gen will be all 4K. Whoo.....
Now it's just like look at the slightly more particle effects or now it maintains 60fps instead of dropping to 59. Feels more like small steps and we just don't see generation leaps like 8bit to 16bit or then into 32/64 with something a lot more to be really excited about.
Nintendo does its own thing and Microsoft has been talking about getting it's IPs out there regardless of what system they're on. Both are embracing crossplay.
Sony seems to be the only one still sticking to the rules of old.

Switch - Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8D, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - The Witcher 3, Nier: Automata, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

Octane

@subpopz Microsoft is actually buying up studios which prevents them from releasing their games on GOG and Steam. So whenever they say that, it's just PR talk. They want their games on their platform (Xbox and Windows) as much as Nintendo and Sony.

Octane

NEStalgia

@subpopz Well, Sony is the rules of old. They're the ones that shaped those rules, or at least shored them up after Nintendo set the original pattern.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Octane Good point about Steam, though I'm not sure there's much difference between Steam and Microsoft Store from a consumer standpoint. But yeah when they say "no matter the platform" they mean PC and XBox. Through their own storefront/streaming service.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic