Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 36,581 to 36,600 of 69,981

redd214

@gcunit its because its Sony, if it was Microsoft in the same position I'm sure he'd be singing a different tune lol

For any US folks, you can save a few bucks on Amazon right now for Metroid Prime 4 whenever it releases. Preorder price is $55 after coupon and you lock in that price. Not huge savings but every dollar counts.

redd214

Haruki_NLI

I can't tell if the Europe only, Switch only delay of Mortal Kombat 11 is better or worse than what happened to Dark Souls and Capcom's failure to remember we exist.

I guess carts are the problem but that hasn't stopped a digital release first, physical later in other cases...

Welp. That kills the games chances of selling well in Europe. Then WB can play the "It didn't meet expectations, digital only future for you guys" card.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Pricing is an important thing to consider, you don't see XB1X outselling XB1S for example. The price of the New 3DS XL being still quite cheap is what gave it the advantage.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

@Knuckles-Fajita Give over, it's only a couple of weeks delay. What's the big deal?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Yes, it matters. But it matters a lot more when you're talking $500, and a lot less when youre talking $250, which is very, very close to the $200 of New 3DS XL (especially accounting for inflation)... whereas $500 is off in the parking lot.

And it matters even less when the value is like 3-5X that of the New 3DS XL. That little $50 difference in price, that's really only a $35 difference in 2014 dollars, and the the Switch offers double value of double value (double value squared?) which makes that $35 really seem like chump change, if it didnt already

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@gcunit Y'all ain't familiar with EU consumers. They flock to the system it comes to first.

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit Like I said, regardless of who made what mistake (such as stupidly selling licenses/rights for whatever reason), I personally just find it utterly weird that a parent company/creator/original owner has no control over its own IP, which means all kinds of bad stuff can happen with it, without them being able to do anything about it.

In this case, it's the reason why we've had crappy X-Men, Fantastic Four (that last one especially, was a total abomination) AND Spiderman movies (well, at least: those two after the original trilogy), because Marvel themselves didn't have any creative control. I don't care who owns what or why, I'm just saying it shouldn't be like this. Marvel having to fight to get the rights to their own characters back is nuts.

And what if any party refuses to cooperate? That could potentially mean either spending millions, or losing millions, to work around that, and create an even more different version of the MCU than it already is, compared to the comics, which is completely nuts. A creator/original owner should at least (be allowed to) keep some rudimentary form of control/guard over their IP, so that bad things like that can be prevented from happening.

Nintendo made the same mistake with the Philips CDI in the past, and we all know how that turned out...

@redd214 Nah, this is regardless of whatever party, which is why I also mentioned art earlier, and Mario in my previous comment.

@Knuckles-Fajita Well, it's only a couple of weeks, so it's not really THAT much of a delay. And perhaps it actually does have something to do with Brexit, and/or more complicated distribution due to all the various customs procedures prevalent in certain parts of Europe.

Either way, the date is perfect for me, since it is a generous week after my birthday, so I know what I'll be gifting myself...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Haruki_NLI

@ThanosReXXX If it has something to do with Brexit its a suspicious thing that impacts all of Europe and only one of the three physical systems in Europe.

Also odd given the original release date is a MONTH after Brexit and isn't impacting ANYONE ELSE. XD

toiletduck

JaxonH wrote:

Forgot how much I love New Super Mario Bros U.

What an incredible game. Not quite on the level of DKC but, an easy 2nd right behind it.

So far I enjoy NSMB U so much more than DK:TF. There's just something about Mario games that clicks with me, always has been like that. I remember your arguments of how DK is technically the better game, but there's just something about Mario's level design, platforming timing and on the spot difficulty, that makes me really love this game from the first second I'm playing.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

ThanosReXXX

@Knuckles-Fajita I was only half serious. Forgot the damn smiley. But in all seriousness: I could actually come up with a scenario where cartridges made in Japan/partially made in Japan, would have to be put together and distributed from various locations in Europe, and Nintendo UK and Nintendo Germany are the two biggest locations in Europe, and seeing as the developments concerning Brexit aren't exactly going very smoothly, what with the EU not going along with whatever deal the Prime Minister is trying to cut, that could most certainly affect processes like that.

As for the other two consoles: a DVD/Bluray doesn't take that much hassle to produce/distribute, and is a more or less settled format, so no new agreements would have to be made for those to be able to manufacture/distribute them.

Mind you: not saying that this is the case, but in theory, it could happen.
Another reason could simply be a bit of final tweaking because of the more humble hardware, and the two other platforms taking precedence because they're simpler to finish.

Now, if it were me, I'd then simply delay the other two as well, so they could ALL be released simultaneously, but unfortunately, I'm not, so I guess we have to accept it for what it is.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Ralizah

Tropical Freeze's art design, music, bosses, and difficulty curve are all unquestionably better.

I feel like the level design is better as well, but both games are fairly well-designed in this regard.

I feel like, sans badges, Yoshi's Wooly World is probably the second best Wii U platformer. It gets surprisingly challenging. It's beautiful. Tons of exploration and well-placed secrets. The music is lovely.

I really hope Crafted World is able to live up to its legacy.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

HobbitGamer

@JaxonH I’m lost. Is this 2014 or 2019?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Haruki_NLI

@ThanosReXXX

"EU not going along with whatever deal the Prime Minister is trying to cut, that could most certainly affect processes like that."

Yeah, the EU has agreed to the deal. We here in the UK cant agree on it to pass it. Stupid aint it?

"Another reason could simply be a bit of final tweaking because of the more humble hardware, and the two other platforms taking precedence because they're simpler to finish."

Okay, but if that is the case, why is this delay ONLY in one region if it due to the hardware?

That's why this delay makes no sense. Its just random.

jump

Marvel licensing off (rather than selling the rights of) the likes of Spider-Man and co was actually vital to the company succeeding at the time regardless of the terms. In the 90's Marvel were literally bankrupt and needed to generate quick cash as (even with their debts written off) they still weren't making money due to the comic market went on it's biggest drop. At the time no serious investors could be found so if they didn't it's very well possible there could be no Marvel at all, although I'd imagine DC or Image would have done an asset purchase (effectively buying the name, IP and back catalogue without buying the company) and continued in some form.

They also have some creative control in the movies, for example any changes made to characters that don't line up with what's in the comics must get an ok from Marvel. This has been used by Marvel to wheel and deal, like with getting Ego back for Guardians of The Galaxy 2 so Fox can make changes to Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool.

Also Marvel weren't the creators, the likes of Kirby, Stan and Dikto were

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

ThanosReXXX

@Knuckles-Fajita Well, from the news that I saw today, the EU has only partially agreed, and/or May has had to adapt her deal towards what the EU wanted, and now it's too far off from the original deal for her own country- and party men and women to agree to. Up for a new vote then, I guess...

As for the delay: I can only come up with theories, since I'm not a fly on the wall in any of the companies involved, but what I actually DO know, is that companies like that don't do anything for no reason, so there WILL be a reason, except it's highly likely that we'll never come to know the whole truth behind it.

Just because it doesn't make any sense to the consumer, doesn't mean that there isn't any valid and/or logical reason for it, from a business/manufacturing/distribution point of view.

Come to think of it, it could even have to do with a specific marketing ploy of Nintendo, not wanting to pollute/diminish one title vs another, so if that's the case, then we could simply look at what other titles are going to be released around that date. To be clear: that's obviously just another theory...

JaxonH

@JackEatsSparrows
$50 today is the equivalent of only $35 just 5 years ago due to inflation

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

HobbitGamer

@JaxonH How? BLS states $35 2013 = $37.50 2018
2001 would give $49.50 in 2018, but that's 17 years

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@jump Aha, that clears up a lot. I used to be quite the comics collector, but I've been out of the comics scene for quite a few years, so I wasn't aware of that. But still: what I said earlier, still applies, except it is then completely Marvel's fault for not having entered a clause in that contract, which would allow for them to keep basic control over their IP.

And I know Marvel isn't the creator of Spiderman, but their co-workers/employees/managers/members were, but regardless: Spiderman is a Marvel IP. Much like Mario is a Nintendo one, even though Nintendo themselves didn't create him...

That creative control in the movies you mentioned, seemed to not have worked out all that well in certain X-men movies, and most certainly not in the last Fantastic Four movie, because that one made no sense whatsoever...

Either way, suffice to say that I'm quite happy that Disney/Marvel has bought Fox out, and I hope that in the near future, they will also be able to buy Spiderman back from Sony, so that all of the IP's are once again back where they truly belong.

On a side note: would also be nice to be able to have another Spiderman game, and have it be multi-platform, instead of an exclusive...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Grumblevolcano

@Knuckles-Fajita Could be that there's a worldwide Switch delay but delay for Europe was announced early. If Mortal Kombat 11 was to feature in a Direct and it's delayed worldwide, NoA may want to control the message of the delay to make it seem less negative (e.g. here's exciting announcements for other stuff that will make you forget Mortal Kombat 11 is releasing earlier on other consoles).

@JaxonH Sometimes even smaller amounts of money is enough to change a purchase to a wait for it to get cheaper or better value. Nintendo Switch Online is a perfect example of this, $20 a year may seem like a good deal for some but many consider it a ripoff.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

@ThanosReXXX All that releases in April that we know of is three FF games and Dragons Dogma.

So a delay by Nintendo for the sake of ports? Ehhhh

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic