Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 36,541 to 36,560 of 41,147

JaxonH

I'ma break it down for ya Grumble- You dont see any reason because there isn't any.

What it boils down to, is certain individuals who envy your happiness, excitement and joy they see you have with regard to Switch. And their response to cope with that envy is not further their own happiness, but rather knock yours down a peg or two.

And they will use whatever desperate method they can conjure up, be it constantly de-hyping conversations by repeatedly reinforcing that games are ports therefore you shouldn't be excited and if you are, you're just pathetic or desperate (translation: be less excited), or by proclaiming sales are bad and therefore you should be less excited, and instead you should be concerned (translation: be less excited), or by nitpicking reasons to eliminate as many games as possible from being objects of excitement therefore you have nothing to be excited about (translation: be less excited).

There's two kinds of people in a gaming thread- people happy about the games they're playing, excited and sharing in those awesome experiences, and those scowling from a distance, secretly hating your happiness, and looking to quell that jealousy by any means necessary- hence the "oh it's just another port" and "oh I already played this game on my superior system that gave me the game first"
(translation: the game already released therefore you shouldn't be excited), or "oh it's too expensive (translation: you shouldn't be excited) or "oh Switch is missing games X, Y and Z" (translation: you need these specific games to be happy therefore you shouldn't be excited).

They will never realize that your happiness is not contingent upon any of the hogwash they're trying to sell. And no matter how many times they try to kill your enjoyment, it will never fill that hole of envy toward your satisfaction. And in order to not feel like they appear to be envious fanboys to everyone else (and I say feel, because to everyone except them that's exactly what they appear as), 2 or 3 such like-minded individuals will pat each other's backs, reinforcing what the other says, assuring each other it's everyone else that's the fanatics, and not themselves. As long as someone else is telling them "ya! you're right! Ha, of course everyone else is a fanboy, but not you and me... nope, we're the enlightened ones, the only ones who make any sense and see things "how they are" (translation: how they want them to be so others feel less excited)

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy X, Dragon’s Dogma, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, Trials Rising
X1: Far Cry New Dawn, Trials Fusion
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/PSVR//Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

bluemage1989

@link3710 i didn't want to sound like I was being critical of yourselves its cool to want it to come and I hope it does I just don't think it will sell particularly well on Switch.

As for other companies looking at Ubisoft I really hope they have another Nintendo related game on the way. Mario+Rabbids was great and I'm looking forward to playing Star Link great use of Star Fox there but I'd like to see them tackle another IP maybe something that has been dormant for a while. As crazy as it sounds I'd like to see Nintendo pay to have Just Dance go exclusive with Nintendo. I know it sells on other systems and while I'm far to lazy to go trawling for sales figures I think I'd say with confidence that Ubisoft wouldn't lose a great deal by doing so. I think a non subscription Just Dance on Switch would help reach the casuals and convince them to buy into the Switch but I'm no analyst I could be wrong in so many ways. Rogue HD would be awesome been hoping for it alongside the Ezio Collection. BG&E 2 would be a dream come true unlikely though.

Activision hmmm hard to say. I think Overwatch would do okay as well as COD but without single player I think it would be a hard sell to a Nintendo audience (original Splatoon and Arms lack of substantial single player seemed a common criticism) but Spyro would do well for sure.

Capcom hmmmm there's been some good support but I hope they are one company who will continue to push forward with it. As for an exclusive I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo making a Dragons Dogma sequel happen. Think it bridges the whole eastern/western RPG gap quite well.

Sega could have me with Yakuza but I think that's unlikely. I have little interest in Sega these days been burnt to many times.

EA. Madden. That is it.

Konami. Who knows there's been some support but I feel there a hard company to trust. I think some remastered classics would go down well.

Call me a fool but I think a Devils Third sequel with lessons learnt from the debacle of the first game could be great. Build on the lore give me a new take on a Metal Gear esque world with refined gameplay.

Just some of my complely unreasonable and unlikely thoughts.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

bluemage1989

@JaxonH that made me laugh but your spot on. Glad to see the haters dont knock your enthusiasm. I think every forum needs someone such as yourself to keep the balance with the doomers.

Unrelated anyone out there played any of the fishing games that have come to Switch lately??

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

IceClimbers

I'd love a Sonic Generations port from Sega.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

AlohaPizzaJack

dimi wrote:

iPhone 1 started to sell like a hotcakes after a 33% price drop after few months...3DS was a disaster before first big price drop, i'm just saying that Nintendo need to risk short term losses. Switch played almost all its big cards by now (with Pokemon and Smash). Need to look at the bigger picture

The iPhone was $500 & $600 at launch. For a phone. A completely different product market, where you could get a phone for $50 at the time.
That’s also the price point PS3 launched at, but plenty of folks enjoyed the PS3.

Sales numbers don’t equal game enjoyment. It’s not “fanboyism” to state that. It’s reality and acceptance of life. Some people eat take out with a fork, some use chopsticks. Food is the same, just a different way to savor it.

It’s easy to get in a little tit for tat argument if all somebody wants to do is nitpick. Watch, here’s one; Sony had free online and had a massive data breach, lied about it, then admitted it.

Did that make anyone want to turn off their PS in disgust? No, because it really doesn’t make whatever they’re playing any less enjoyable.

TL;DR - If wishes were fishes, we’d all be whales. Enjoy what you enjoy, let others do the same.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

JaxonH

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch Bundle + $50 Gift Card for $299.99 at GameStop this Black Friday.

Wow. That's a good deal.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy X, Dragon’s Dogma, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, Trials Rising

Jesus is Lord.

Ryu_Niiyama

Woot BlazBlue: Central Fiction is hitting NA on 2/7/19. Can't wait! Geez if I could just get Bamco to put a non anime fighting game on switch I'd be set.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Knuckles-Fajita

July is an odd launch for that.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Now that's a deal. Put that $50 towards the Super Mario Party bundle and you have a Switch, four Joy Cons, Mario Kart, and Mario Party for only $350.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

ReaderRagfish

@IceClimbers Unless there's some Black Friday discount that I'm unaware of, the Mario Party bundle is $100 instead of $50, so you'd be paying $400. Still a good discount though, if I didn't already have all of those things I'd totally steal your idea.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Morpheel

That's why he says to use the $50 card to buy Super Mario Party.

$300 for the switch with the bonus $50 card + $50 to complete the SMP bundle.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AlohaPizzaJack

That’s why he’s @ReaderRagfish, not MathingRagfish

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ReaderRagfish

@Yosheel Oh. Duh! These calculus classes sure don't seem to be paying off.

kobashi100

Please hold you're hand up if you said Pokémon let's go wouldn't shift switch hardware

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (No.9) sales increased 94 per cent, Super Mario Party (No.18) sales were up 25 per cent, Super Mario Odyssey (no.19) rose 30 per cent (No.19) and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (No.28) saw a 52 per cent sales spike.

kobashi100

link3710

@bluemage1989 Lol, I know you didn't, just gave me an opportunity to think about what I wanted in terms of existing games and series from other companies. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced BG&E2 will come out in the Switch's lifetime from what I've seen of the game at E3, but it'd be nice. A Devil's Third sequel would be the weirdest thing ever if it happened... but if it looked good I might try it this go around.

@JaxonH That's a beautiful summation of why people get so upset about ports. If it's a game I haven't played and I want to? I'm happy. And I'm not about to let anyone here or anywhere else stomp on that.

link3710

JaxonH

@ReaderRagfish
Hey! I'm studying calculus right now myself. Only... I'm doing it for fun (I know, I know).

I love math, unfortunately despite passing the Duke college entrance exam in 7th grade, winning the math Olympics twice in grade school and making straight A's on every report card ever, I got mixed up with the wrong crowd just before high school and ultimately dropped out without ever even passing 9th grade. Went to college and did a semester of algebra and half a semester of trig, but never finished.

So I decided to start learning calculus in my free time when I'm not playing games. The power of the integral gives me goosebumps. Seriously, it's like magic. Finding the area under any curve is nothing short of fascinating! So I've been learning all about limits and derivatives and integrals, watching Professor Leonard on YouTube. He's incredible. It's like you are a student right in his classroom. I also just ordered a textbook today.

The thing is I'm still rusty on all my trigonometric identities and properties, and I really need to get that down because they use trig substitution in integration quite a bit. Then I have to memorize all the rules of differentiation and integration, which, I think I have the derivatives down (addition rule, subtraction rule, multiplication and division rule, and special cases like derivative of e^x = e^x), but I haven't really got into rules pertaining to exponents and roots and logs and so on. But just being able to integrate a function is mind blowing to me.

Integrating f(x) = √x
∫ √x dx = 2/3x^(3/2) + C
And evaluating the function between 0 and 1 gives the area under the curve between those bounds (definite integral) to be equal to 2/3 units squared. That's... magic. It's magic! It's so easy to calculate something that seems impossible to calculate... I'm in this honeymoon phase with calculus where I'm just in utter awe of its raw power. Moments and inertia, velocity, acceleration, center of mass, density, volume, area, work exerted up a curved surface, Fourier Transform with everything from harmonics to sonar and even quantum physics using the complex unit circle and a very simple (relatively) integral equation stemming from Euler's famous equation involving i (the imaginary number), π and e. Calculus has all the power of nuclear warfare while retaining the elegance of a symphony orchestra.

Civilization VI Intro Cinematic Trailer

This intro is just epic

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

I was told I was good at math. I also hated it. At least, the fancy stuff. Well, fancy by grade school standards.

Beyond that, I might as well be trying to read an Elder Scroll. Same end result too.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I think people dislike what they don't understand, and they don't understand it because they learn in a certain way and their teacher simply didn't explain it in a way that they can understand. And because they dislike it they just stop trying to understand it. This is where most people start walling themselves off to math. Even if they were good at it initially, once they get to something they don't quite understand they just close themselves off and decide it's not for them, write it off for good and never look back.

If you were good at it early on, you probably have a knack for it. But early math is boring and a lot of people hate math in the early years just because it's not all that interesting. It wasn't until algebra that I really started finding math fascinating. Like logic based puzzles that only have one solution.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

ReaderRagfish

@JaxonH I wish I had your enthusiasm. My professor always says "I realize that you guys probably don't actually care, but what we just did is really dang cool!" I don't find calculus concepts themselves too bad, but the automatically generated online homework is brutal and usually results in absolutely nasty algebra.

Trig identities aren't too hard to deal with once you have them memorized since it's usually just a quick swap, but the differentiation rules you mentioned (other than the subtraction rule which I don't even know exists) are pretty also important and are used constantly. Especially that dang chain rule, you'll know that like the back of your hand once you're through with this.

Also, most college math textbooks are also available to everybody as a free pdf on the company's website, a detail which professors of course never mention until after you spend $150 on a book. I can send you links if you want.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic