Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 36,541 to 36,560 of 69,991

NintendoByNature

I think im just easy to please for 2d Mario games. I absolutely loved the Wii version of new super mario. Nsmb 2 was fantastic in my eyes. And I'm loving nsmbu deluxe at the moment. As soon as im I'm done with the regular run through I'm jumping into super Luigi. All have been pretty good in my opinion. To me it's 2d Mario. You run you jump you throw shells so there's not much to it but it hits home for me. I really love the colors and art work in the game too

NintendoByNature

GrailUK

@nintendobynature Different strokes for different folks There is no right or wrong.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

EvilLucario

@AlternateButtons My favorite of his reviews will always be his Ghosts 'n Goblins review. Watching him lose his mind with that game struck me as the most hilarious. His Mario Sunshine review was also hilarious though.

Anyway, as for Mario games, I love them all except for New Super Mario Bros. 2. For some reason that game bores me to tears. Not the other games though, I'd happily replay them.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NintendoByNature

@GrailUK exactly, were all not going to like the same stuff. Again I'm easy to please though for 2d marios lol

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
NSMB2 was definitely the worst. But... even so, it was still a pretty good 2D platformer compared to other 2D platformers. Just not good enough to rival the better games in its own series.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

bluemage1989

I feel were in a pretty good place now in terms of third party support I mean this is the first time in many years that I can say I'm a bit overwhelmed for games to play on a Nintendo platform. It reminds me of the early/mid GameCube years for level of support but with an upwards trend instead of a downwards and I hope this can continue. As @JaxonH those Tales numbers reinforce the Nintendo fanbase will buy your games if you make them available in the first place. Not every game will be a crazy success but that happens across all consoles. Personally I am up to 18 physical games and 19 digital and there is still so much I want to play but even games I bought day one with the system are still drawing me in and look at 2019 i mean seriously even if i only considered first party there is a huge amount coming. When you throw in the last few big 3DS titles, the occasional indie that stands out to me and some third party goodness is 2019 is just looking insane.

bluemage1989

JaxonH

@bluemage1989
Ya, 3rd party support was pretty paltry year one, but even then, signs were there indicating this generation would be different- when Skyrim, DOOM and Rocket League released those were huge, groundbreaking moments. Even just seeing Capcom finally bring over RE Revelations 2, a game that skipped Wii U and 3DS, was telling, and Ultra SFII saw Street Fighter return to Nintendo home consoles, something Wii and Wii U never saw, while games like LA Noire showed Rockstar was back on board.

Then 2018 ramped up support considerably. YS VIII, Wolfenstein 2, Capcom started bringing its collections over with Mega Man Legacy 1 and 2, Mega Man X 1 and 2, Street Fighter Collection, Beat Em Up Collection and also brought Monster Hunter Gen Ultimate and Mega Man 11 and Okami HD, TakeTwo brought Civilization VI as a console exclusive, FIFA and NBA saw a return for year 2, we saw Dragonball Fighter Z, Katamari Damacy Reroll, My Hero One’s Justice, Taiko Drum n Fun, Little Nightmares and Dark Souls from Bandai Namco, we got Sega Genesis Collection and Valkyria Chronicles 1, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Shining Resonance from Sega, Blazblue Cross Tag Battle from Arc System Works, Diablo 3 from Blizzard, South Park Stick Truth and South Park Fractured But Whole from Ubisoft as well as Starlink, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy from Activision, World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy XV Pocket which broke the long-standing trend, and all kinds of AA titles from Victor Vran to Battle Chasers, Banner Saga Trilogy to Titan Quest and Warriors Orachi 4 to Attack On Titan 2.

2019 is picking up where 2018 left off and dialing it up even further. We can definitely expect an even better year than 2018. Granted, Switch is a portable system and as such, is going to be limited in comparison with regard to how many 3rd party games it gets. Power and different architecture are indeed limiting factors. And while games are selling well... very well, on Switch, there is still the stigma among developers that certain franchises will not sell to the fanbase (something which may have been true in years past but recently, Nintendo fans have been branching out, and there’s plenty of Sony/MS/PC/lapsed gamers on Switch that were not present on previous consoles). Even so, Switch is quickly turning that around and breaking the stigma of years past.

Starting the 2019 year off proper with a number of great 3rd party titles on the way. Onimusha Warlords, No More Heroes, Tales of Vesperia, Dragon’s Dogma (Capcom was evidently dead serious when they said they wanted to start bringing franchises that had never released on Nintendo hardware before), DOOM Eternal, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Shin Megami Tensei V, Final Fantasy X/X-2,Final Fantasy XII, Chocobo’s Dungeon, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy VII and IX, Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI, Trials Rising, Mortal Kombat XI, Crash Team Racing, Team Sonic Racing, Bayonetta 3 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance (funded by Nintendo but hey, a 3rd party game is a 3rd party game, as long as they come that’s what matters)... and these are just the games we knew about a week into the new year. A lot more announcements are on the way, and I am beyond excited to see which third-party titles will be added to the HD portable hybrid roster going forward. Nearly each and every game released is getting its first ever handheld version, and definitely its first hybrid version, and sometimes, its first console version. That’s genuinely exciting.

I can see Bandai Namco, Square Enix and Capcom now... ”What??? It sold more than the gold standard money printing PS4 version??? I want everything that can run on that there Switchy-magadget! Do it! Do it now!”

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Don't forget Ace Attorney Trilogy and Saints Row the Third!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
Ah, right. It wasn’t meant to be an exhaustive list, but it’s a good sign when there’s more games than you can keep track of before the year even really kicks off.

The important thing is (the most important thing): there’s enough games coming to keep the vast majority of Switch-only gamers busy. And I have a hunch that it’s gonna get a lot more. I think Kingdom Hearts is only a matter of time (I believe it so much I canceled my KH3 preorder). I think RE2 Remake is definitely only a matter of time (they ported RE Revelations 2 to the Vita, and that was a much greater disparity in power than PS4/Switch, not to mention they already have 5 different RE games on or coming to Switch, which means they definitely are interested in putting as many RE games on Switch as possible. And the same could be said for a great many other games. I believe Persona is only a matter of time. I believe Dark Souls 2 is only a matter of time. I believe an exclusive new MH is only a matter of time. Etc etc

I feel well and truly comfortable holding off for potential Switch versions of games now. If it’s not a funded exclusive or 1st party, I ain’t buyin. And when this generation is over, looking back at all the games that did find their way to Switch, I think I’ll be very glad of it.

BenGrimm

I need to go through my backlog and stop buying more games. VC 4, Mario Tennis and Bayonetta 2 I’ve not even started to play yet. Haven’t finished DKTF Bayo 1 or Hollow Knight.

BenGrimm

NintendoByNature

@BenGrimm it's a good problem to have since that means good content keeps coming to switch, but I feel your pain too. What really gets me is always the eshop deals. If not for those, I wouldn't have such a backlog.

NintendoByNature

Haruki_NLI

So I've taken note of my Switch backlog. Bold titles aren't even started yet.

Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap
Tumble Seed
Mr. Shifty
Blaster Master Zero
Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows
Mario + Rabbids
Yooka Laylee
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Morphite
Snake Pass
Kirby Star Allies Wave 3
Mega Man X7
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
Hollow Knight
Undertale
Axiom Verge
Super Meat Boy
Pokken Tournament DX
Dragon Quest Builders
Katamari Damacy REROLL
Octopath Traveler
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Super Meat Boy
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

The only Switch game I've not really touched in my backlog is Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. Otherwise, I am smack dab in the middle of Mega Man Legacy Collection (finished the first three games), Okami HD, Torna: The Golden Country, Smash Ultimate, and I'm only a small ways into Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee. That's dangerously close to becoming a full-fledged backlog, so I've backed off new purchases until I trim it down a bit.

I'm comfortable with having 1 - 3 backlogged games on a system, as I have something to fall back on in a dry period. Anything else needs to be addressed immediately.

Or, in the case of my PC backlog, which is about 200 games strong, bury it in the backyard and ignore the stink that occasionally wafts in from all the games I bought 6+ years ago just rotting in their hole, unplayed and unloved.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

bluemage1989

@JaxonH i think 2019 is going to be key for Nintendo. With more developers seeing the success of third parties on the Switch 2019 is going to have to be the year that these new games, a lot of them from companies that are not traditionally Nintendo supporters, generate enough sales to justify the support. If 2019 can be a real success for these companies then the future competition (Xbox in late 2019/Sony in late 2020 i think but that's just my own guess) will not pose the same threat to the Switch. As it stands effort is required to port games from the Xbox One/PS4 and when that power gap widens simply porting games is going to be to much effort but if companies can see there games doing well we could still see exclusive games made with the Switch and its capabilities in mind. Like i said though, for this to happen these games that are testing the waters are going to have to do well enough that companies who are risk adverse and who need more convincing can see it is in there best interest to support the system. I think we will be looking back in a year from now and saying wow what a year we have had who would have ever thought that we would be seeing this kind of support but i hope it is the start of long term relationships.

On a personal note i really am struggling to keep up with the sheer amount of releases on the system. I tend to buy two physical games a month so even with an average of 30 games a year (the wife will always buy me some as gifts throughout the year) i still have not picked up games like Ys VIII, Torna and Wolfenstein 2 games that i am itching to play. Part of me does feel guilty about not picking them up day one but honestly if i have a pile of 15 new unplayed games i do feel a bit overwhelmed so for my own sanity i tend to buy in twos every month. It doesn't help that a lot of the games i have bought have serious legs and even now having had the system over a year i can still find myself jumping in to some of the first games i bought and still enjoy them as much as the latest release.

bluemage1989

link3710

My backlog?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Almost done, maybe 10 hours left? (Considering I'm 140 or so hours in...)
Torna - Unstarted
Ocotopath Traveler - I play through every now and then, doing one story event per session usually... way far away from completing.
Celeste - I'm almost done, playing this right now
Steamworld Heist - Haven't Started
Tales of Vesperia - Haven't Started
Into the Breach - Haven't Started
Hyper Light Drifter - Finished 1/4 of the game so far
Crash - Finished 1, need to play 2 and 3.
Slime-San - Play when I feel like it, made good progress but who knows how long it is
Disagea 5, Fe, Chroma Gun, Sonic Forces - May never finish these, didn't click with them like I'd hoped.

link3710

IceClimbers

Just finished off RE Revelations 2.

My Switch backlog:

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu
Okami HD
FFXV:PE HD
South Park The Fractured but Whole
Crash N'Sane Trilogy
Wolfenstein II
Skyrim
Bayonetta 1+2
Shantae & the Pirate's Curse
Hollow Knight
Guacamelee
Outlast
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Octo Expansion
Champion's Ballad
Mario Tennis Aces - Adventure Mode

This is on top of Spyro Reignited Trilogy on PS4. Gonna finish Pokemon next. After that I think I'll work on getting all of the smaller stuff out of the way. Or play Skyrim lol

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

bluemage1989

@WebHead dont get me wrong it looks great like really great from a design perspective but does it not undermine the whole point of the Switch?? The only benefit i can see is that it would be a bit cheaper but is it worth ditching some of the consoles big selling points and confusing the pretty simple, easy to market message the Switch has just to shave off a few quid. I dont know about everyone else but if i like the concept of something and i want to buy it then i buy it i dont wait two years for it to be slightly cheaper. I know the 3DS early price drop helped but then that was a reduction in the price not a resdesign that changed fundamentally what the 3DS was. Id say the better route would be to encourage people on the fence about buying with great marketing about what is available now game wise and introducing competitive bundles.

bluemage1989

WebHead

@bluemage1989 well if you have a switch then it would not be fore you it would be for the 3ds audience. Also fmif it makes sense with the switch name...who cares like really?

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

JaxonH

@bluemage1989
but i hope it is the start of long term relationships

Exactly.

Games are selling on Switch that we would have never expected to see in generations past. Part of that is justification for buying on Nintendo (who wants a Wii version in 360p when you can have HD on PS3/360, or who wants a Wii U version that offers nothing of value beyond the original versions). Switch versions offer exclusive portability, local MP baked into the system itself, and in many cases an upgrade over PS3/360/Wii U originals (see Tales of Vesperia in 1080p 60fps in battles- heck even the handheld version is on par with last gen versions). But the other part is Nintendo fans actually starting to branch out in realization Nintendo isn’t the only one who makes great games.

This is much different than any generation prior of the modern era, because for the first time we are seeing games sell better than other versions, even with 1/3 of the install base (and even in cases where they sell less, if you scale up to an equal install base they probably would’ve sold more). That hasn’t happened in the modern era before. There is truth to the old “Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games” mantra. Some of that was justified, as stated previously, but it was true to an extent nonetheless. This is the generation we are seeing that change. And that’s absolutely monumental for both Nintendo and it’s fans going forward.

Unlike the “flash in the pan” Wii where third parties just piled on to make a quick buck and dip out afterwards, we are actually seeing real, tangible support that, I believe, will prove to be lasting. Nintendo can’t snap their fingers and undo the last 25 years of self-harm from neglecting 3rd parties... it’s a process. It’s going to take time and it’s going to be a gradual change. But, so far so good. At this rate, Nintendo could very well have the majority of third parties back in their house by next generation. It’ll probably take two full generations before they get most all of it back, and I don’t think they’ll ever get back to 100%, but is long as they have a good percentage of 3rd party games coming, with portability, with their own games added in... that’s a potent mix [stated in a firm Colonel Quaritch voice].

It’s exciting times to be a Nintendo gamer.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic