Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 36,521 to 36,540 of 69,988

FragRed

@EvilLucario Dunno, he seems pretty calm over it

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Late

@bluemage1989 Some YouTubers that haven't been mentioned yet that I enjoy:

• HappyConsoleGamer (my personal favorite, video game memories, other stories, news stuff and reviews)
  • Gaming Historian (high quality history videos about video games)
  • TheRunawayGuys and their personal channels: ProtonJon, Chuggaaconroy, NintendoCapriSun (let's plays, fun group)

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

TuVictus

SNES games would get me to subscribe so hopefully that's a sonnet thing rather than later

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

In the Switch news section, Nintendo announced the 21 most played Switch games in 2018 for Europe. There's some interesting stats here but the #1 spot was obvious, Fortnite.

1. Fortnite
2. BotW
3. Mario Odyssey
4. Splatoon 2
5. MK8 Deluxe
6. FIFA 18
7. Minecraft
8. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu
9. Pokemon Let's Go Eevee
10. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
11. Skyrim
12. Rocket League
13. Mario + Rabbids
14. Pokemon Quest
15. Stardew Valley
16. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
17. Octopath Traveler
18. Smash Ultimate
19. Paladins
20. Super Mario Party
21. Mario Tennis Aces

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Ralizah
That deal is back you posted. Just grabbed 3 (which is the limit)

eShop Credit $10 Free with $50

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I am kinda surprised by some of these titles for sure, such as FIFA 18 and not FIFA 19 though I guess being pretty much the same game caused a lot of people to not buy the latest release. Also, Pokemon Quest is on this list? Isn't that the mobile game?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

Forgot how much I love New Super Mario Bros U.

What an incredible game. Not quite on the level of DKC but, an easy 2nd right behind it.

One might almost forget how amazing this game is given the hive minded hate-bandwagon trouncing all over it lately.

And then Tales of Vesperia alongside it... it’s fantastic. It has that Lost Odyssey style of “weapons have skills, and by using the weapons you can fill up the XP bar for it and learn the skill permanently” mechanic. I love that. Just been bouncing back and forth between these two, both of them A+++++ video games.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe.

It's nothing I haven't played before.

I mean that in both I have it on Wii U, and my God, this game is both good, solid platforming, and the most derivative thing I have played in a long time and it is hard to explain why, even without the other New games existing.

It just feels sterile.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

electrolite77

@JaxonH

Had 4 attempts to get some of that for me but I can’t sneak through with my UK address

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

FragRed

@Knuckles-Fajita I remember playing New Super Mario Bros U when it first released and it just bored the hell out of me. It just felt by the numbers, as if Nintendo knew it would sell well so why put the effort in. I don't know what plans Nintendo have for the future of 2D Mario games but I hope they go right back to the drawing board.

Haruki_NLI

@FragRed I think it has one of the better flight power ups at the very least.

But everything else was very...let's move slightly closer to Mario World but not do much else.

ThanosReXXX

link3710 wrote:

...Spiderman is an exclusive cause well, at it's root, it was part of the deal they made with letting Marvel use Spiderman in the MCU.

That still baffles me to this day. Sony should thank the gods on their bare knees that they're even allowed to use Spiderman, seeing as it's not their intellectual property, but Marvel's. The fact that they even got their hands on it, or how the hell Marvel could have allowed them to do so, is completely beyond me.

Far as I'm concerned, Marvel should have just put their foot down, hard. Give back the Spiderman IP, or we revoke all your rights to make media and/or merchandise with him in it. The franchise should simply come back to Marvel entirely, much like how they got their other IP back from Fox after the merger.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed NSMB2 did launch the same year as NSMBU. Early Wii U era can pretty much be summed up by goal based platformer burnout. MK8 was the start of a change from that.

I'd imagine that's why we've gotten very few 2013 Wii U games on Switch so far. The variety was very limited with Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Wind Waker HD being the main variety.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

@ThanosReXXX they can't do that because of the contract. They need to either re-buy the license or let them use it as they see fit. Otherwise they would end up with a law suit or worse.

Btw, they have already sold back the license for movies, but apparently not the game rights.

Therad

JaxonH

“By the numbers”

When “by the numbers” is by the numbers of the gold standard of Mario platforming, I welcome it with open arms. There’s only been 4 Mario 2D platformers released since the retro era, and NSMBU is easily the best one. I love it’s “by the numbers” style. That’s exactly what I want every now and then. It’s only a bad thing when it’s over done. And since I haven’t played a NSMB game in the better part of a decade, I could go for a little “by the gold standard Mario numbers”.

It’s just good, classic, nostalgia driven fun. Finding the three coins adds just the right amount of challenge and replayability as well.

And that’s not even considering New Super Luigi U, which really ramps up the difficulty.

Top of all that you have the challenge mode, coin blast mode and one other I forget. It’s jampacked with classic Mario platforming goodness. The gold standard. Love the crisp, modern look but with the Super Mario World style blueprint.

Mario Maker was neat, but I’d take this game over Mario Maker any day of the week. MM got really boring really fast unless you were actually designing stages, which is a totally different type of entertainment all together. Fantastic fun, but a different kind of entertainment. If you wanted solid platforming, Mario Maker was... well, tbh, it was garbage. There are only so many trap-ridden user created stages I can stomach. It could be fun trying them out and seeing the craziness, but that wore thin... and quick (although I’d like to point out I created some immaculate stages with very solid feedback, eh ehm). Whereas the level design in NSMBU is actually balanced and engaging. Designed by professional developers.

@electrolite77
Ah that sucks. It’s sold out now anyways.

also
Interesting to note Tales of Vesperia is crushing it on Switch. Currently #47 on Amazon Best Sellers in Video Games, while the PS4 version is #124 and X1 is #1,125

I think this will reaffirm confidence in Switch sales for Bandai Namco. If games like Tales can outperform even the PS version, with like 1/3 of the install base... that bodes very well for further Switch support. And as for Xbox... yikes. I’m surprised they’re still bringing games to that system. Square Enix has slowed their Xbox support for JP games, and Namco may do the same soon. Or not. If it’s super easy to port, and they just run the game to the multi platform engine and spend a week cleaning it up... maybe it’s still worthwhile.

Edited on by JaxonH

ThanosReXXX

@Therad But that's exactly what I'm talking about: it's the world upside down. Spiderman is a Marvel character/IP, NOT a Sony character. It annoys/angers me just as much as countries "owning" and displaying art pieces that aren't made by their native artisans/artists, but simply because they bought it, the country of origin hasn't got any rights over them.

The same happens here. It isn't right, and except for the game, which is actually good, Sony hasn't done a whole hell of a lot of good with the Spiderman franchise, since the original movie trilogy. So, in a correct scenario, it should be Marvel licensing out the IP to Sony, so that they are allowed to make games with it, instead of Sony "allowing" Marvel to make movies with it. It's insane...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

GrailUK

Whereas I am a massive fan of the mechanics of 2D Mario games, I have never really liked the aesthetics of the 'New' ones. Don't get me wrong, for 3D Mario games, it's great. The closer those get to looking like rendered covers on N64 and Gamecube game cases the better. For 2D games, I prefer something more stylish and pixel based. Like World or Yoshi's Island. Something with a bit more artistry to it. Like the new Wonderboy even. I don't need fluid animation for turning. I am fine with a sprite flip, as it feels more responsive. (Unrelated but it's why I find Rockstar games clunky)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

@GrailUK
I’d be down for a more unique art style. That said, I don’t really find anything “wrong“ with the one currently being used, either. It’s the classic look. And as their flagship, I would expect that style because... well... that’s just how we’ve come to expect Mario to look nowadays. Brand identification is important with Mario.

But that’s why Paper Mario was always so adored. It broke tradition. I’d be totally down for a different art style but, I still think it looks great as it is. Nice and clean and classic.

Grumblevolcano

@subpopz I disagree, for awhile 3D Mario was pretty much a 3D version of NSMB. Sunshine was the last 3D Mario collectathon platformer before Odyssey (15 years had passed).

Grumblevolcano

Haruki_NLI

I don't know what it is about NSMBU I don't like.

Something is just off. I like it MORE than Wii though.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic