Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,901 to 35,920 of 45,917

Nemodius

JaxonH wrote:

@Nemodius
Gotta condense what you're saying into a brief paragraph. I dont have the time to read all that

yah, sorry bout that, I'll try to make it more readable bro

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

RedderRugfish

Nemodius wrote:

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Nemodius
Psst....
It will be Nintendo HDS.

and out of curiosity, what does the "HDS" stand for friend ???

Harry's Donuts Suck

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Nemodius

[quote=Nemodius]

ReaderRagfish wrote:

Harry's Donuts Suck

makes sense, I'm a Krispy Kreme person muhself

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah Well, do people use their PS4/Xbox One less if they have a PC and Switch combo?

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RedderRugfish

That dang Harry, if only he was a better baker.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita I imagine that depends partially on what games are releasing in a given year, and what preference the person already has. A hardcore pony is likely going to play the Playstation version of a game whenever possible. Same with fanboys of the other two companies.

Personally, PS4 tends to be the last platform I look at when deciding if I want to purchase a game, given it lacks the portability of the Switch and the generally superior performance of a decent mid-to-high range rig. But, you know, sometimes things just fall in that direction: NieR: Automata, for example, has performance issues on the PC (although, honestly, it had issues on my base PS4 as well).

Ralizah

PCkid

@Octane

Maybe we will have some infos during the next Nintendo Direct.

PCkid

EvilLucario

@Knuckles-Fajita My future PS4 will literally become a Bloodborne machine. Why bother with third-party games on it when they are better on Switch and PC?

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I still find it funny that anyone would actually play Bloodborne let alone buy a PS for just to play it. Yeah yeah I know it's popular. But it's just.....blegh. Bloodborne made me think I hate Souls. As it turns out, I just hate Bloodborne.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

There are advantages that a handheld only 3DS successor would have over the Switch like:

• Price
  • Clamshell design
  • Small enough to fit in pockets
  • Backwards compatibility with DS/3DS
  • Easier development if not HD

I don't think the quieter 2018 lineup is a result of a 3DS successor rather a result of HD development but it wouldn't surprise me if one happened at some point.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Well I'm sure I'll love Bloodborne. I'm down for a more aggressive Dark Souls.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario That's what NG+ is for. You very well may love Bloodborne. To me, it feels kind of hollow compared to Dark Souls (pun intended)

I'm still looking forward to Sekiro though. That looks to take the lessons of Bloodborne and Souls and make something better from both.

@Grumblevolcano Isn't that what the New 2DS is? A machine to play the BC library on? I can't imagine new handheld development on a weaker machine. If you make it more powerful it nears Switch. If you don't, why not just make those simpler games for mobile where kids already are?

NEStalgia

Therad

@NEStalgia the new 2ds is no where near switch in power. There is room for something in between.

I think a cheaper entry model can live alongside the switch.

They can of course just wait a couple of years and release a pro and lower the price of the current.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

link3710

@Therad Is there a market space for a model like that? Yes. Can Nintendo manage to support it with enough exclusives for it to survive? Nope. There's a reason they're only doing one system now, and it's working for them. Splitting their development teams in half again for an entry system is incredibly reckless at the current point in time.

link3710

NEStalgia

@Therad What would really be the point of "another Nintendo handheld that's worse than Switch?" There's always the argument of "I want a pocketable system", but the question is, with the more powerful Switch one one side, and the ubiquitous, always present phone on the other side......are there 30+M people that want such a thing instead of a Switch? Because if not, there's no business reason to do it. And would it run Switch games (if so then there is a business reason to make it), but most of the people that want such a thing want different games on it. A split library, once again, of Nintendo and third parties dedicating resources to making smaller spinoff games and light fare that would probably reach a larger audience through their mobile initiative.

I think we're really on the same page in terms of price point, and using current Switch or a lower end SKU for the same software. As long as the software base isn't split there's no problem catering to all form factors. But most of the people that want "a 3DS successor" also want a separate game library. I'd like to direct those people to their nearest Apple Store. That crowd isn't looking for a smaller Switch to take in their pocket, they want a dedicated handheld platform with traditional handheld style games, that isn't running Switch games, as though phones haven't taken that market over.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia The "New" line has always felt like a stopgap, just like the XB1X. A way to extend a console's lifespan so that the next true console is released at a more suitable time.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nemodius

@Grumblevolcano
I can't argue that logic, certainly not the first time, certainly won't be the last.

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Certainly it is. But in the case of New 2DS it was more significant in that it changed the actual form factor of the hardware from this:
Untitled

to this:
Untitled

It didn't much change the spec but it radically changed the actual market of the product.

NEStalgia

Nemodius

just opinion, but that tablet-ish 2DS was an uber fail, the return to the clamshell was a great call,
but again, just "Opinion"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic