Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,881 to 35,900 of 69,962

Grumblevolcano

January 10th seems like a reasonable guess for the next Direct date. Give people a reminder about NSMBU Deluxe, announce the next batch of NES games and let the early 2019 lineup be a bit clearer.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Either that week or the following week. That was my guess on the next Direct.

We have Tales of Vesperia and New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe releasing Fri, Jan 11th. Onimusha Warlords on Jan 15th (in the west) And No More Heroes on Fri, Jan 18th. That’s 4 notable games dropping all within a week, and no known release dates afterward. They might let them all release first, and then air the Direct, just because they don’t want to showcase games and take attention away from these before they release.

Bets for Feb, Mar, Apr, May and June? The pre-E3 span lineup? What games do we KNOW are 2019? Might as well include 3rd party since they’ll utilize to pad the lineup.

Daemon X Machina
Yoshi Crafted World
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Animal Crossing
Luigi’s Mansion 3
Pokémon
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Town
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Builders 2
DOOM Eternal
Wolfenstein Youngblood (2019 confirmed?)
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon
Team Sonic Racing
Mortal Kombat 11
Trials Rising
Crash Team Racing
Digimon Survive
Saints Row The Third
V-Rally 4
Blazblue Central Fiction
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 4

Anything else? I know Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3 and SMTV are all possibles but, let’s stick with what we know for now. Am I missing anything?

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

I just want the week of my birthday to go by without a Direct this year thanks.

Its already bad enough it was an RPG and two Mario games landing on it

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

GrailUK

@JaxonH Langrisser 1 + 2, Grandia 1 + 2, Guilty Gear XXAC, Out Run and Virtual Racing are the big ones for me missing from that list. (and even then there are loads more lol!)

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

NintendoByNature

My guess is that the direct will hit the 10th or 11th, or 14th or 15th. It will be no later than that as Im pretty sure the January nes games usually drop on a Wednesday in the middle of the month (16th in this case) but I could be wrong. In this case they'll announce January, February and Marchs line up of nes games and what's to come for the first 6 months of the year. Expecting more than just nes games with the negative feedback Nintendo has seen with drip feeding 3 games a month that are as old as I am. But who knows, sometimes Nintendo just doesn't get it. Great hardware and software, but sometimes the things that make so much sense to everyone else make no sense to them

NintendoByNature

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Honestly doubt they mention NSMBU Deluxe at all. They don't really do reminders all that much anymore. They didn't remind people of Bayonetta 1+2 in the January Mini Direct. Same with Tropical Freeze in the March Direct.

I'm guessing we'll get a full Direct this time. Probably a Wii U port for February and Yoshi in March. Big guess for a third party port is Danganronpa.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

NEStalgia

@JaxonH no, i mean that was what was specifically said about this game. The games producer said they'd develop 11 for nx, the company clarified after the fact that they were merely considering it... And the producer said more recently (sept or so, around ps4 release) that he'd said they would develop it for nx before they knew what nx was and three machine wasnt what he expected. So for this game is seems like an over eager producer spoke out of turn about platform support without official company planning and just kind of blurted it out based on wanting to do it, but what was reported as an announcement at first wasn't an announcement but just a producer talking without authority. But..... Then it created enough interest they were backed into a corner of needing to support it..... Which... Was possibly his goal to force the company hand from the start.

S-E has a history of announcing things they can't actually reasonably do, then cancelling or long term delaying. It's kind of their thing. Not that i don't expect the same to arrive.... But it's quite a debacle.

NEStalgia

WebHead

Am i the only one who thinks people are getting a tad too excited for the revision next year? Also happy holidays!

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Grumblevolcano

@nintendobynature Subscriber numbers is the key to the retro offerings. If Smash improved the numbers massively, Nintendo doesn't have the incentive to bring other retro platforms in earlier. I think we'll see SNES around September 2019.

@IceClimbers Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They did remind people about Star Allies in the March Direct and Torna in the September Direct for example despite being very close to launch. Given how Nintendo's focus recently has pretty much been 100% Smash Ultimate, seems reasonable to remind people of the early 2019 stuff from the September Direct that they may have forgotten about.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

@Grumblevolcano well for everyone's sake, let's hope you're wrong 😉. Even with massive smash sales( which im positive was massive), they should still find the incentive to improve the online app. It simply isn't good enough from a retro offering stand point. Smash sales shouldn't indicate how you market your retro offerings. I'm not arguing with you or saying im right. I just hope you're wrong so we get more than nes haha

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@nintendobynature
We will eventually get more than NES... in a couple years when they’re done releasing all the NES titles.

You have to understand this is a subscription service which means they have to have recurring new content, and since that recurring new content is virtual console, that means they are going to space them out for years and years and years and years. It’s a $20 fee for an entire year. 3 games a month may not sound like a lot, but that’s 36 virtual console games for your $20 each year. They’re not going to drop SNES until they have squeezed every last NES game from existence. Because they can only release a game on the service once, and then people have access to it forever as long as they keep paying. Meaning they can’t just go burn through all their games and platforms in a couple years because then they’ll have nothing left to release.

You can expect NES to be released at a rate of 3 games a month for 2-3 solid years before they even begin to think about releasing games from another platform. Meaning you better kick your shoes off and get comfortable... it’s gonna be a while. In the meantime if you want to play those games you’ll just have to resort to emulation or Wii U. Sucks, believe me I know. I want DKC Trilogy and Super Mario World and Mario Kart 64 and all that jazz too... but it’s just not in the cards any time soon.

@Grumblevolcano
I think the distinction he’s making is those games were all new content. The games he listed were all ports. They do seem to remind people about new games and new expansions releasing. They don’t seem to remind people about ports of Wii U games releasing. Although with this being Mario there’s always the possibility NSMBU Deluxe gets an exception but... I think they are intentionally trying to not hype the ports.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH at the age switch would be by then it might be fair to say snes isn't until the next generation console. Perhaps at launch.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Then they didn’t commit to it. As you said it was a misinterpretation.

If they decided to do it afterwards, it was after analyzing whether they could and should. Which... clearly they decided they could and clearly they decided they should. They didn’t force anybody’s hand. These companies are all too happy to come out and say “we’re sorry that’s not what we said” or “ we were only considering it we never committed to anything”. So no hand was forced. A company is not going to devote millions and millions of dollars and year(s) of manhours into something just because somebody misspoke. If they are making the game it’s because they specifically concluded it was a good idea and a good investment.

new post response
Ya, possibly. The way they advertised it they sure made it sound like NES was the only thing we’re getting. 3 games a month = 36 games per year, for next 4 years = almost 150 NES games. And 30 of those will likely be SP editions of games already on the list. Sounds about right. They are going to milk NES for every game it’s worth.

Edited on by JaxonH

NEStalgia

I wonder how many nes games they realistically can offer in terms of licensing, 3rd party cooperation etc. Also can't rule out the obvious possibility of "Nintendo switch online: powered up" premium subs for only $50/yr with more than nes games. Cynical, but very "in the now"

NEStalgia

GeoChrome

They’ll probably run out of decent and available NES games by mid to late 2019. By that point, there will probably be a new “special offer” in the form of the Switch Zapper for Duck Hunt, Wild Guns, etc.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

kkslider5552000

NEStalgia wrote:

I wonder how many nes games they realistically can offer in terms of licensing

I mean, my assumption is that it would be as many as the NES games licensed for Virtual Console ever, minus the games with remotely recent re-releases in a collection but plus any weird thing to change the license holder's minds in the past decade about licensing their games for a Nintendo thing.

But that's also under the assumption that these companies are paid fairly well to put their games on this service. If they aren't equal to what VC was giving them in the Wii days, some might not bother.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH yea i hear you..you bring up valid points. lt all just leaves me wanting more ya know. I've been playing all of these games since I could walk. I love them don't get me wrong but after a while, it becomes stale. I wouldn't mind star tropics one and two though. Hopefully they roll those out soon. Never finished 1 but really loved it from what I played.

On a separate note, I just preloaded onimusha..you more or less talked me into it 😆

NintendoByNature

Therad

If I would be Nintendo I would announce SNES games right before the current crop of one year plans is up. That would make the most sense.

Therad

toiletduck

@Therad If they don't I'll definitely cancel my subscription. It seems that I'm not that interested in the NES games for various reasons and I hardly ever play online.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Grumblevolcano

3 games a month would take us to 66 by September which covers the vast majority of the Wii/Wii U VC library for NES and that's without taking things like Mega Man 1-6 not being part of the Switch service because the Legacy Collections exist into account. So unless they do something special like localizing Japan NES exclusives such as Genealogy of the Holy War or reduce the number of games per month, SNES is coming early 2020 at the absolute latest.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic