Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,621 to 35,640 of 69,983

Cobalt

@Grumblevolcano

It's just a question of performances... Activision don't want the players to make a direct comparison between the different versions of the game.

I can imagine a 1080p/60fps on PS4 and XBOX and a 900p/30fps on Switch with less shaders and less SFX...
Look, even Spyro is not on Switch but I bet we'll get a Switch version in 2019 with lower graphics and framerate.

Cobalt

Anti-Matter

@Cobalt
I will get Crash Bandicoot NSane Trilogy SWITCH version despite of 480p & 30 fps and lesser fur.
I Don't want the PS4 version with 1080p and still 30fps.

Anti-Matter

Buizel

@Cobalt I don't understand that logic...surely people will be making these comparisons regardless of when the game releases?

At least they've confirmed it for the Switch, at least. It means that those who intend to get it for the system can hold back on the other versions, which can't be said for Spyro (I will definitely double-dip on the latter should it come to Switch, myself).

At least 2'8".

Cobalt

@Buizel

The logic is simple and you're the perfect proof that Activision and the others are right to do it the way they do it... :/

The magical word is : DOUBLE-DIPPING...

Cobalt

Buizel

@Cobalt That isn't what you said though - you were talking about technical performance. These comparisons will be made regardless of when the different versions come out.

Plus, as I pointed out - announcing it for Switch now will probably prevent the Switch buyers from double dipping, compared with Spyro where there's uncertainty about a Switch version.

At least 2'8".

Cobalt

@Buizel

Everything is linked dude, everything !

If you release a game the same day on the 3 platforms, normally a customer is gonna pick one of the three... if the PS4 and XBOX ONE version runs perfectly smooth with better shaders/graphics/FXs etc... then you have a big chance that the majority will get these versions... AND DONE !

It makes a perfect "commercial" for the Switch version later... like the internet talks great about it etc...
So, even if the Switch version is less impressive, it's gonna get the "aura" of the first reviews on stronger systems.

And to conclude, some of the gamers who enjoyed the game at home on PS4/XB "could" double-dip later because the "handheld possibility". They could even sell the PS4/XB version to buy the Switch version...
In the final count, it's two games sold and not one...

Cobalt

Anti-Matter

@Cobalt
"If you release a game the same day on the 3 platforms, normally a customer is gonna pick one of the three... if the PS4 and XBOX ONE version runs perfectly smooth with better shaders/graphics/FXs etc... then you have a big chance that the majority will get these versions... AND DONE ! "

For me, when the game released together (Switch, PS4 & Xbox1), i will definetely choose the Switch version, ignore the other machines version.
I don't care with lower specs as long still tolerable.

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Cobalt 's posts are making sense. I really need more coffee.............

NEStalgia

NintendoByNature

@ReaderRagfish I think that's what's happening. The mini consoles were holding back classic content on the switch. At the very minimum, I think we'll at least start to get snes games now. Maybe not n64 right since I still think they'll do a n64 classic.

Edit: I misread your comment. I think we will be getting more minis in the future. But I'm hoping with dropping support of snes classic that means we get those games on switch

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Octane

I don't think the number of people willing to double dip is that big to warrant a delayed release. There are also plenty of people who will have forgotten about a game when it does release on their platform of choice. Remember Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Let's not forget that the Switch is fundamentally a different machine. Engines need to be ported if it doesn't run on something standard like UE or Unity. And big file sizes don't work on Switch either, so it requires a lot more compression as well. Why do you think that ports like Dark Souls Remastered were outsourced instead of developed by the same studio? PC, PS4 and Xbox are very close, so that's essentially making one version that covers those three platforms, and a separate version for the Switch. Don't get me wrong, the Switch is doing well, but when the choice is between focusing on Switch or other three, I think the latter three platforms will get priority.

Octane

HobbitGamer

@subpopz Yeah, I’m hoping that somewhere in a meeting somebody broached the thought that if these platforms are supported more through NSO instead of a standalone product, it would give added value to NSO. They’re not exactly growing a Switch consumer base by continuing the mini product line. Obviously there’s nothing preventing Switch owners from buying them, but consumer money spent on an SNES could be spent on a software title and a year of NSO if they went that route.
I think the NES and SNES minis were just a stopgap to maintain brand recognition in a hardware sense, and a relatively safe bet on a product with low investment and higher than average return (for hardware).

But I’m just a silly billy man, saying what crazy things I can, living in a loopy land...I’m done. 😂

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

gcunit

This minis were very effective at raising Nintendo's profile and kudos in preparation for NSO. They've done their job for now but it's time for them to make way for NSO.

Nintendo doesn't want to shoot its whole load of legacy content in one go. Teasing it out helps maintain interest/publicity in the NSO service. Spunk the whole lot of in one go and then where can they go?

If NSO fails to get the takeup Nintendo is looking for then maybe the minis will return from time to time. But expect it to be limited each time, for hype purposes.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer @gcunit Yeah, remember when they did the NES mini the effectively had no console for sale. They acknowledged the WiiU was sunset, dropped it from all promotional advertising, and while 3DS was still a great seller it was clearly past it's zenith. They needed hardware for that holiday to keep excitement up, and that was it.

NEStalgia

Laoak

Sorry but my kickstand keeps falling in matches of Splatoon ( I don't have Smash yet ). Anyone know a solution?

{funny quote here}

EvilLucario

I just wonder how the indie success would have turned out if Nintendo just unleashed their entire catalog into the Switch Day 1. It probably wouldn't have driven this much indie games on the eShop. So something had to give I suppose.

I would love to play Super Metroid on my Switch eventually, though.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

gcunit

My guess is SNES games will come when the service hits 12 months... and coincidentally increases in price by a few quid.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

TuVictus

Honestly, with how they handle alot of the NSO stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if the only reason they're so vague is literally just because they have no clue at the moment either.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I said yesterday that I think defending the indies is half of the reason. I'm not sure that's a good thing. And it makes me actively resent the success of indies if I can't play actual classic games I want to play just to make it easier for indies to sell their dozens of late to the party clones of it.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Yeah, it's a bit of a catch-22 though. If you don't release these games, you won't appeal to your long-time or new fans who want to dig into your catalog... but you also appeal to indies who find a gold mine to make their own games to put on there. If you do release these games en masse, you stuff out most indie support while also catering to the fans, while you may not get as much money from just flat-out releasing them compared to drip-feeding (although I'm not sure drip-feeding works with a subscription).

It's a tough situation imo. Going on selfish reasons I would love to be able to instantly play my SNES games wherever I want, but then I think about indies and how much support they give and I'm here feeling a bit conflicted again.

Idk. We'll see how it all turns out in the next few years.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@ReaderRagfish Probably that they'll announce the next few months of NES games in a Direct. Whether late December or early January, one has to be coming soon.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic