Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,601 to 35,620 of 69,981

Ralizah

@Cobalt The Wii U definitely cobbled together a small but worthwhile library of titles to play over the years. It's a shame that the system was never able to realize its full potential, but my Wii U is still hooked up and we still enjoy playing it.

Have you played Shantae and the Pirate's Curse? I own it on both Wii U and 3DS, and probably will get it on Switch as well before long. It's a fantastic little action-platformer.

@EvilLucario Don't forget Castlevania: Bloodlines. Personally, I prefer it to SCIV on the SNES.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Cobalt

@Ralizah Totally agree with you !

I played Shantae and the pirate's curse, it's magnificient in terms of visuals and sounds.
The guys at Wayforward are beasts.

Cobalt

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Damn, I did forget. Really good game that kicked my ass when I played it. Maybe I should revisit soon...

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@gcunit @FX102A I think people tend to forget just how short the original Yoshi's Island was. It was a pretty small game that could easily be beaten, maybe not 100% but with a good collection of collectables in a few hours. If Wooly World had only a few hours of gameplay it also wouldn't feel "samey"

If anything Wooly World gets rapidly tiring due to it's difficulty. If you're actually trying to 100% stuff, it's Nintendo Hard.

@Cobalt Lost World wasn't the worst Sonic game, but that's kind of like saying "Believe" isn't the worst Justin Beiber album. It ran kind of poorly on its only hardware, and featured most of the same pitfalls 3D sonic continuously has experienced. Following up Generations just made it look that much worse. It should have been great, but like most Sonic games these days it just...wasn't. I'd love to play it again on a more powerful system to see it run at 60fps though. Even a steady 30. I think a speed-oriented game like that got very marred by choppy framerates.

@EvilLucario Both Castlevania II and Zelda II are really hard to play....even in their day. They were way ahead of their time but the hardware just couldn't keep up. Even Miyamoto says Zelda II is the worst game he's made. I want to love it but every time I try....I just don't. I'd love to see a legit remake of it.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Lost World is on PC. You just don't have the Nintendo content, which admittedly are cool levels so it's a pretty tough pick between the Wii U version and the PC version.

As for Zelda II though, it's hard for sure. And it hasn't aged the best either. But it was still my favorite Zelda game until BotW came out. Something about Zelda normally doesn't hit me for some reason, which is odd since I'd think Zelda would really appeal to me, but for some reason it just doesn't in general.

Zelda II and BotW broke that cycle for me though.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Buizel

I'll also add that I find Woolly World to be quite underrated. Not quite on par with Yoshis Island, true, but I think very little is. I'm definitely excited for the new game.

@NEStalgia as someone who owns Lost World on PC... I don't know what they did with the game. It's very poorly optimised, running worse than not only Sonic Generations (which is a prettier, much faster paced game), but even some of the most graphically demanding games I own.

At least 2'8".

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario If I'm going to dump $2k on a gaming rig, I'm going to buy better games than 3D Sonic..... (And the last time I bought a Sonic game on PC was Unleashed and it ran like 15fps on what was otherwise a upper mid-tier PC )

Interesting about Zelda. For me it was always Zelda one (in case you couldn't tell ) that spoke to me more than 2. I loved the mood, feel, environment, music of 2. Even the concept. But the gameplay, particularly navigation was just such a mess. Starting you in the Death Mountain maze early on didn't help it any..... LttP cemented that Zelda 1 formula for me (Though I never really got into Ocarina like so many do. I still prefer TP.)

@Buizel That sounds like exactly what I'd expect for a Sonic game on PC It's the Hedgehog Engine....it's garbage. Every game that runs on it runs like garbage, except for Generations which for some unknown reason manages to run fine. I'm not a fan of "every game looks exactly the same because everything uses UE4" but yet that era of every Japanese studio coming up with their own proprietary engine that never worked right yielded some real disasters.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Unleashed never came out on PC. It did run awfully on the 360/PS3 though. Ababat and Empire City in particular dipped in the single-digits.

It is backwards-compatible on Xbox One though, so maybe it can hit a smooth 30fps now?

That said, if you're going to play Unleashed, play the Unleashed Project, which is a mod of Generations so it has no QTEs, better controls, and 60fps.

Buizel

NEStalgia wrote:

(And the last time I bought a Sonic game on PC was Unleashed and it ran like 15fps on what was otherwise a upper mid-tier PC )

Are the risk of getting off-topic...are you sure this was Unleashed? As far as I know, Unleashed has never been released for PC.

On the other hand, it does have a fairly poor frame rate on the XB360...

More on-topic: I wish we'd got Sonic Generations on Switch rather than Forces. The latter has zero replayability.

At least 2'8".

NEStalgia

@Buizel @EvilLucario Hmm....I keep thinking I played it on PC....I guess it was PS3 in retrospect. Ughh....that was horrid. What a waste of money. Runs a lot better on X1X BC (re-bought it because I hate myself)....but...that still doesn't make the Werehog anything other than insufferable The QTEs are painful in the extreme.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@Link-Hero Yeah that's what I said. No QTEs, better controls, and 60fps. Also forgot the MUCH quicker load times too.

NintendoByNature

New game coming out on switch in a few weeks, revenge of the bird king. It actually looks pretty good. Almost like a zelda 2 clone. Same looking over world, same looking dungeons. And Its only 5$. It got released on vita back in November and I'm wondering if anyone has played it and what they think about it?

NintendoByNature

BrainOfGrimlock

The Sexy Brutale is on sale in our eshop for $15AU - if the sale is reflected everywhere else that means it’s almost free in a real currency!

Have written about it in a few other threads before; I played it on Xbox last year - very different (murder mystery/time travel) sort of game to a lot of things you’ll play and with an absolutely AMAZING soundtrack; in essence, an utter bargain and potentially great filler during Smash downtime!

BrainOfGrimlock

EvilLucario

@BrainOfGrimlock Isn't it optimized terribly on Switch I heard? Like, actually pretty badly? I recommend to do some research before buying it, because I see people ask if it's better on Reddit and it always turns up as "it's unoptimized garbage".

I honestly don't know. I can absolutely tolerate cut performance like with Doom 2016 and Ys VIII on Switch, but if it's actually not good then I don't know. And besides, YMMV if something is "unplayable" or not.

BrainOfGrimlock

@EvilLucario i know it was slammed at launch but not sure if they ever patched it. At that price it’s a small gamble for something pretty unique?

As you say, everyone has massively different tolerances for that stuff but for sure, dig around if you know those things might affect you! Fwiw, it’s not a fast paced game - but if people were complaining about it then it suggests it must have been really bad.

Worth checking out anyway (on PS/PC/Xbox if not switch), no more hard sell from me!

BrainOfGrimlock

BrainOfGrimlock

Bit disappointing they couldn’t fix it up, the game underneath certainly deserved better - grab it elsewhere if you like the sound of it

BrainOfGrimlock

Ryu_Niiyama

Hamster is at it again. Puzzle bobble up next.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

GrailUK

@Ryu_Niiyama Oh amazing. Is that tomorrow!?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Grumblevolcano

Looks like Activision is holding back Crash Team Racing on Switch, the official website states the release date (June 21st 2019) for XB1 and PS4 but "Coming Soon" for Switch. Sounds like the normal delay on Switch so the other versions sell better nonsense we've seen plenty of times before.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic