Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,601 to 35,620 of 38,799

Aozz101x

ANIMAL CROSSING SWITCH!!!
DAY 1 H Y P E :D
Anime: Toradora

3DS Friend Code: 3153-5789-3951 | Nintendo Network ID: Aozz101x

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Sure, I mean other than that PS4 and X1 and PC and all movies still use it, it's totally outdated

I see what you mean but it's quite dominant

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

I don't think cartridges will ever return to being the norm, gaming outside of devices that can function as a handheld will probably continue being discs until digital/streaming only is an option.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

subpopz

@NEStalgia It's only dominant because it's cheap. I can't wait for the day optical media is behind us.

Edited on by subpopz

Switch - Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8D, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - The Witcher 3, Nier: Automata, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

PikPi

They should switch discs out for some sort of USB type of physical media. that'd be pretty neat. But I'd never go full digital, as long as there's physical options.

PikPi

Octane

@subpopz Isn't that the whole point of optical media? Getting data to customers in an inexpensive way.

Octane

NEStalgia

@subpopz Me too. But, of course...it's cheap....so.....

I mean companies won't buy the right sized Switch card for a few bucks. Imagine telling them to drop optical entirely (unless moving them to digital only.)

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

Didn't PCs mostly ditch optical media anyway? I don't see a lot of PCs with a disc drive anymore.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

subpopz

@Octane That is the point of it, but it's still outdated and slow. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather pay more for something that's better (digital doesn't bother me so much because it's up to me what I store them on. I can get the faster, better storage). The industry doesn't even want to to use it anymore, they're pushing us to digital (amongst other reasons). I like the Switch carts for physical, but I rarely buy optical anything anymore, Wii U is probably the only exception. I have already had some discs barely 10 years old become coasters due to disc rot, actual store bought and burned ones both.

@EvilLucario Yeah, it's very common (for laptops especially) to not have optical drives. Unless you're using your PC/laptop as a Blu-ray player or still back up to discs, they're pointless for the average person.

Edited on by subpopz

Switch - Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8D, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - The Witcher 3, Nier: Automata, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

Anti-Matter

@EvilLucario
My PC is still Old School (still have DVD Drive since 2010)

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

Grumblevolcano

On the topic of storage, turns out PS4 RDR2 digital is infact 150GB.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

Multiple discs again. FML!

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NEStalgia

@subpopz I'm not a fan of optical these days either, but it's steal cheap, available storage, while digital forces me to spend tremendously on HDDs that vary of speed and are easily unreliable (forcing you to download everything again.)

@Grumblevolcano Uhm....wait, what? That sounds wrong. X1X it's only 88GB. How is it 70% larger on the weaker platform?

Edit: Weird. Octanes link to the 2k site says 107 on X1. The X1 store itself says 88.......... Does nobody know the size?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario Laptops ditch them. Entertainment PCs keep them. Productivity PCs still often use various discs at times. But external USB DVD drives kind of replaced the need for a 5.25 hardmount. Once upon a time USB slowed them down. Not that long ago really.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I said outdated, not irrelevant. It's most relevant with movies. I rarely see discs used for almost anything regarding PC any more, though. Everything is digitally distributed, and most of the big software companies have transitioned to service-based models. And discs on modern gen consoles are little more than installation media. That can definitely be convenient for people without access to high-speed internet, or who have data caps, but it doesn't change the fact that the medium has long outgrown the limitations of optical media, and it'll only hold on as long as it remains a cheap options for distributing games at retail.

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Octane Yeah, PS store says 89.2, X1 stores says 88.57 (Oddly specific?) and Rockstar says 107 XBox and 99 on PS4.

I'm almost going to bet Rockstar is wrong. They know the size they submitted to the store, but they don't know what if any compression and all the specific stores might be applying. The stores should know their own in-archive size. Either that or they're including a Day1 patch that's not, as of yet, uploaded to the stores.

NEStalgia

JackEatsSparrows

They're obviously getting everyone's bodies ready for some sweet, sweet day one downloads.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic