Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,481 to 35,500 of 36,812

Octane

I'm not sure what Retro is up to, but I do feel that the longer it takes, the higher the expectations are. And after Metroid Prime and the DKC series, expectations are already quite high I think. Even if it's not a 2019 or 2020 game (though at that point I would start to question what they're up to), a small teaser wouldn't be out of place. I don't think Ninty is going to give up on them, yet. But from what we've heard, they're definitely the most expensive studio to keep up and running, so they have to release something at some point I'd presume.

@NEStalgia Monolith Soft is actually two different 'teams'. One based on Tokyo (the Xenoblade team), and one in Kyoto, that's the one that's always credited when you see their name in the credits; Their Kyoto team is more of a support team for the Nintendo games made at their Kyoto HQ. They also opened a second studio in Tokyo this year: https://nintendoeverything.com/monolith-soft-opens-new-studio...

I'm also pretty sure TLG was indefinitely delayed because the PS3 couldn't handle the AI.

Octane

Cobalt

@Octane said : "Monolith Soft is actually two different 'teams'"

Nop, THREE ! The new one is in Iidabashi !

Cobalt

link3710

@Cobalt I was under the impression there were four? Tokyo, Kyoto, Nakameguro GS Studio and Iidabashi Studio?

link3710

NEStalgia

@Octane Yeah, Monolith just keeps expanding like crazy which is amazing. Nintendo invests nothing into their core studios and keeps growing Monolith to a larger scale Still they have released a number of games between XC, XCX, XC2, Torna, plus the other games they assist on, plus PxZ, etc. Japan Studio released tons of games, never missing a year while TLG was in development. Retro? 5 years since a platformer, and only a port of said platformer since. An entire studio going dark for half a decade is very not normal. Even for Nintendo. "What's Retro working on" was a meme at first. Now it's genuinely confusing. Maybe they're working on Animal Crossing?

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

As for Retro, if that rumoured Star Fox Grand Prix game is real I'd guess it got delayed including announcement to allow a more normal Star Fox experience (Starlink) to come before preventing a Federation Force type situation.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@NEStalgia Too bad I don't really care for Xenoblade! They better start expanding their Pikmin team

@Grumblevolcano I'd argue that neither sounds like a 'Star Fox experience'. But that also applies to Adventures. The franchise is a big mess

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane From the gameplay I've seen, Starlink feels like an open world Star Fox Assault.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Plus the whole Starfox racer thing sounded ill fated from the start. "Turn it into a racing game" is pretty much the final death throes of any franchise, isn't it?

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
I still confused how did Nintendo get Tetsuya Nomura included in Xenoblade 2 project, considering he was from SquareEnix.
And speaking about SquareEnix, who is the team behind Dragon Quest Builders ?
And to consider about Animal Crossing on Switch, if Animal Crossing Switch got some teams behind Dragon Quest Builders, could it be we will got Animal Crossing World Builders since Dragon Quest Builders has some Animal Crossing vibes ?

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

link3710

@NEStalgia Crash, DK and Mario all survived their racing games. Sonic too... arguably. The only thing I can think of otherwise is Jak & Daxter, but that game was meant to to be the final game in the franchise when it was made.

link3710

bluemage1989

Whatever Retro are working on my expectations are now so high that unless it is one genre defining (or two or three smaller titles) I am going to be (unjustifiably) disappointed.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and Super Mario Party.

WiiU: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge.

N64: Donkey Kong 64.

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Minus all the walking I guess, there was a lot of that in Assault. Scratch that, it doesn't feel like any Star Fox game at all; it's just an open world space shooter with Fox tacked onto it

@NEStalgia After Zero? Definitely yes lol. I mean, people have been asking for a new F-Zero game since the GameCube game; and they decide to turn Star Fox of all things into a racing game? Logic got lost somewhere along the way I believe.

@Anti-Matter You don't need the people behind one game working on another to implement certain features of the first game into the other one.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter Monolith was founded by former Squaresoft staff. Nomura and Takahashi worked together on FFVI, Chronotrigger, etc. back in the day at Square and were friends, so it was sort of a special guest to have him fill in and do some work with Xenoblade. The relationship between Square and Monolith is pretty good, as Monolith spun off due to the desire of the team to have better focus on support for their own projects after Square wasn't giving them leeway on the Xenosaga games and making them do constant FF rehashes. So Square had actually hired Monolith/Monolith staff to help with work on FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX back in the day, and I suppose were willing to return the favor and Nomura do a little work with Monolighth.

DQB, strangely is direct by the creator of Etrian Odyssey (another weird company crossover.) But it feels fully Enix.

Crash and DK went dormant for a looong time, though they did bounce back. I don't think Kart can be included, it's not a "racing game" conventionally speaking. Sonic died long before the racing games.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Octane Well, they can't think of anything interesting to do with F-Zero. It makes sense, I mean what of interest can you do with a game with anti-grav hover craft on magnetic racetracks deep in the future?

NEStalgia

link3710

@Octane Well if the rumors are true, we're looking at a racing game that'll play absolutely nothing like F-Zero. Would that have pissed off the F-Zero fans more or less than not getting anything?

link3710

gcunit

@Anti-Matter Careful what you say about Animal Crossing in here. I too suggested the next one could have a building element to it a few weeks back and one or two people lost their **** over it.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@link3710 What did the rumour say apart from the fact that it's a Star Fox racing game?

Octane

bluemage1989

I don't know nearly enough about the Star Fox and F Zero universes to know but would a cross over between the two be workable in terms of lore?? I mean in theory to me it seems kinda ridiculous but like I said I don't know much about them.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and Super Mario Party.

WiiU: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge.

N64: Donkey Kong 64.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic