Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,781 to 34,800 of 69,981

PCkid

@Octane

Wait and see. Really curious to know more about it.

PCkid

Octane

@PCkid Apparently it's called ''Ninja Box''; and it's a ''super large-scale crafting game''. Similar to Dragon Quest Builders I think, but with ninjas?

Octane

PCkid

An exclusive title for the Nintendo Switch called "Ninja BOX" with a character holding a hammer engraved with an "X".

Is Namco Bandai trolling ?

PCkid

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano wrote:

There are advantages that a handheld only 3DS successor would have over the Switch like:

• Price
  • Clamshell design
  • Small enough to fit in pockets
  • Backwards compatibility with DS/3DS
  • Easier development if not HD

I don't think the quieter 2018 lineup is a result of a 3DS successor rather a result of HD development but it wouldn't surprise me if one happened at some point.

I want additional Backward with GBA.
I want to play GBA games with bigger screen and louder sounds in handheld.
Playing GBA games on NDS Lite was Too Small and Too Quiet.

Anti-Matter

Octane

@PCkid Only if Nintendo is trolling with Box Boy

The X is more like a screw head than an actual X, and it fits the building theme:

Untitled

Octane

Anti-Matter

Octane wrote:

@PCkid Only if Nintendo is trolling with Box Boy

The X is more like a screw head than an actual X, and it fits the building theme:

Untitled

Is that Ninja Box ??
A NEW game for Nintendo Switch ??

Anti-Matter

FragRed

I'm getting a Minecraft crossed with Dragon Quest Builders Vibe from this Ninja Box game. Surprised that it's exclusive to the Switch but it shows that Bandai Namco have faith in the system. We need more of this kind of thinking from publishers/developers outside of the indie scene.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

There are advantages that a handheld only 3DS successor would have over the Switch like:

• Price
  • Clamshell design
  • Easier development if not HD

Ok, lets split this up into pieces. Two of these points are effectively the same thing and those three points are not only not compelling but they are losing their potency by the day. Price and Size. Think about it, the 3DS is almost a ten year old piece of hardware at this point. A successor would inevitably be far closer to the Switch in terms of cost and spec. Especially if it launched in late 2019 or more likely 2020. At that point we're getting to the point where the Switch is going to get a price drop and redesign. The further down the road we get the more it makes sense just to make a smaller Switch.

On the next two points, the clamshell design and 3DS/DS backwards compatibility. TBH I think of these two as the same thing also. The Switch is only not a "3DS/DS successor" because it lacks these things. In every other meaningful sense it is a successor. And as with the first point the further down the road we get the less this matters. Realistically if a "proper" 3DS successor came out that could run 3DS games but not DS games would you be at all upset? Probably not I'd wager. So why would you be upset or suprised if a 2020 device came out that could play Switch games but not 3DS titles?

Which brings me to development costs. I think this is the weakest point of all by far. Firstly a new portable is inevitably going to be HD, that's just how it's going to go. It just simply gets to a point where doesn't save you any money to limit your spec. Additionally Nintendo saves far more money by having a single platform to develop for. In the Wii U/3DS era they made Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Zelda etc twice. Now they only have to make one.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Buizel

I worry that if Nintendo released a new dedicated handheld at this point they would've learnt nothing these past few years.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

• Price
  • Clamshell design

The 3DS already has all of these features.

I also don't see why a 3ds successor would be easier to develop for. @skywake has already pointed out that it would make more work for Nintendo. Also the majority of Switch releases have been low budget games, showing that HD hardware doesn't necessarily mean difficult-to-develop software.

At least 2'8".

FragRed

Are we still discussing the idea of a 3DS successor that isn't the Switch? I thought this has long been buried?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Anti-Matter

@FragRed
But Shuntaro Furukawa said he might consider a next machine after 3DS.
What could it be ?
A Dual Screen Nintendo device with power as Strong as PS Vita with name Nintendo HDS ?

Anti-Matter

FragRed

@Anti-Matter Of course he was, that's just business. Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony are always considering possible successors to their consoles. Even Sony would have been considering a PS Vita successor during the second and maybe third year on the market but that doesn't mean they will ever follow through with it. The Switch is Nintendo's successor to both the home and handheld consoles. It makes too much sense for them moving forward.

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed As long as the 3DS is still alive the discussion of a dedicated handheld won't completely disappear.

Anyway, I'm perfectly fine with the concept of Nintendo only supporting the Switch and successors basically being more powerful Switches. I just think Nintendo releasing a dedicated handheld successor to the 3DS after the success of the Switch would be a very Nintendo like move.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano That would be a very Nintendo move before the move to HD, but Nintendo has openly accepted that developing games for more powerful hardware and in HD was harder and more work than they had expected it to be. Just like Sony learned trying to support both a home and HD handheld, I feel like Nintendo has learned that they can only focus on one system at a time. 2 HD systems would be too much for the internal teams to handle.

Nemodius

@skywake @Buizel
been trying to get people to see that in some previous posts where I said design a realistic successor and set some realistic parameters

people keep wanting it, but I think not willing to accept that a dedicated handheld and/or a "DS" successor in direct competition with a portable base console is not feasible or practical
I understand the love of backwards compatibility, but sometimes you just have to evolve and sometimes that requires sacrifice

people almost act like the fact that the Switch is a traitor to handhelds, I mean, just the words they say
"Dedicated Handheld"
I had asked would a N3DS+ with a wireless HDMI out (a WLAN HDMI dongle accessory for the tv) be accepted ???
it would no longer be a "Dedicated Handheld", but still play games from the 3DS/DS, but has the added function option of a console interface

I get silence, I think some people want to be Handheld Ahmish and refuse to progress even if it would provide all they need

"Dedicated" is "DEAD-icated" after the DS line
the next "DS" line may be be a DS-Hybrid idea, so two possible types of Nintendo "Hybrids", but people saw a realistic option, and love it and if a "Dual Screen" game system is to continue, it will have to stand next to the Switch or as a part of the Switch DS (or something),

but as unlikely as that will be, it proves a point, people want the DS lines to get bigger and better, but also want a possible smaller Switch Slim type thing, so we are already at that happy medium, the Dual Screen gaming systems had their time, Nintendo is just getting rid of contracts with manufacturers of the N3DS & N2DS hardware and will support it for at least another 2 years, but likely not progress it further,
but yah, Dedicated is DEAD-icated !!!

but out of fairness to Dedicated Handheld-philes, I will again ask.....
What could the next "Dedicated Handheld" REALISTICALLY and SIGNIFICANTLY bring to the table that would set it apart from its direct portable Hybrid competitor, the Switch X as more than just another "improvement" to an old system

Edited on by Nemodius

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

FragRed

@Nemodius I agree, there seems to be a small group of people unwilling to accept that in today's climate, a "dedicated handheld" as they see it makes no sense and the success of the Switch is seen as the eventual downfall/fate of the 3DS and the pure dedicated handheld line that begin 30 years ago.

Octane

@FragRed The concept art looks good. I hope they it doesn't set the expectations too high. That's the issue with these kind of reveals, looks great at first, but the gameplay can be an absolute turd! The main character's face as well. Who knows what he looks like, but it can look terrible

I like the concept, and seeing that art, I can imagine the potential. Let's hope the actual reveal doesn't disappoint.

Octane

Anti-Matter

@Octane
I have a Bad feeling about Bandai Namco when they want to make 3D rendering.
From my experience with Bandai Namco games on Nintendo machines, their weakness were just about 3D Trees / Plants rendering.
They looked awful (like PS1 / PS2 3D Models) in HD rendering.
Even on Go Vacation Switch, Bandai Namco still HAVEN'T remake the Villa's furnitures, trees, etc in proper 3D rendering.
I wonder if Bandai Namco can compete with Dragon Quest Builders that have Very NICE 3D rendering of Trees, bushes, plants, furnitures, textures, etc.

Anti-Matter

Octane

@Anti-Matter Since when do you care about graphics?

Go Vacation, isn't that a port or remaster of the Wii game? I think that explains why the game doesn't look up-to-date.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

Ugh, looks like everyone but pros have left Mario Tennis Aces. It's very difficult to win even 1 match nowadays.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic