Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,761 to 34,780 of 44,755

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Ok, the disc is probably just a license key then. Overwatch physical was something like 1MB disc and the actual game itself was a download.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

South Park has jumped up to #16 on the US eShop chart. FighterZ is holding strong at #5.

Anyways, preload for Starlink is available... I'm definitely interested in it, but I might just wait for reviews on it. I've got a fair amount of non-gaming expenses coming up, so I'm not gonna just jump on it lol

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano ROFL, so the industry is now so bad that the physical purchase doesn't in fact contain a current build of the game, and the entire game must be downloaded, at double the size of a normal SL BD, and is so bad that retailers are now selling the releases half a day early because the mandatory download for your physical game is so huge?! Soo......why not just buy digital? We keep talking about physical and a digital future, but clearly this already is the digital future. The entire XBone launch nightmare is already reality.

Screw it, this is just driving me to pirate it.

NEStalgia

FragRed

@IceClimbers I feel Microsoft purchasing all these developers both good and bad. It’s good because, hopefully assuming Microsoft doesn’t mess around with the developers, it means the next Xbox will receive a lot more first party games, and good ones too. However, it’s bad because the more that are bought out the less independent studios are available for taking on outsourced work. Not that Nintendo would be affected by that with western developers.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

GeeEmm

Just saw that Mark of the Ninja was released today! And with Guacamelee out, and Child of Light releasing tomorrow this week has turned out to be aaalright.

GeeEmm

Knuckles-Fajita

Oh sure, when Sony and MS force you to use a 5th of your internal storage because the game doesnt fit on the physical media its fine, but when you need to take a 5th of your Switch for the same reason its bad?

It just cements that with the PS4 and Xbox One they should have gone with a new medium, not the same BluRay as before on PS3.

But thats too expensive. But they'll have to eventually.

Edited on by Knuckles-Fajita

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RR529

Just ordered a new TV for my room. It's only 720p (which means in terms of Switch gaming I won't be able to play games in 1080p when playing docked, however I will be able to enjoy docked mode more often than I do now with the Switch on the living room TV). Also, it's a smart TV which should be nice with Netflix & YouTube absent from the Switch itself.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
Seeing decent climbs on eShop, but bigger and bigger drops at retail. Not sure what to make of it. Could be Amazon changing their pre-order policy and a massive drop in purchases from them. Could also be people migrating over to digital more and more. But the fan bases on other platforms already buy a higher percentage of games digitally and yet still climb in the retail charts, so I don't know if I buy into that. And for that reason I also have to question my first hypothesis since those games are also affected by the change in pre-order policy, and yet they are doing extremely well in the charts while many Switch games are not.

Diablo still over #200, Civilization VI still over #300. The two biggest 3rd party releases for Switch in the next 2-4 weeks, one of which is exclusive to Switch both in terms of consoles and handhelds. Only console to have the game, and only handheld to ever have the game. It's a pretty big deal, and I would expect it to break top 50, if not 25. Same for Diablo, given the 30+ million sales to date.

On the flip side, TWEWY is doing better than expected I think, sitting around #77. Now this isn't going to set the charts on fire or anything, especially given the fact it releases in less than 72 hours. But I'm surprised it even made it into the top 100 tbh.

@FragRed
Well, Obsidian made South Park Stick of Truth which just released on Switch, and they're making Pillars of Eternity 2 which is also coming to Switch. So I'm not sure I would say Switch will be unaffected. They actually probably will be.

@Knuckles-Fajita
You're totally right, seen by those who won't say a word when it happens there, but complaining to no end on Switch.

That said, Switch has very limited potential storage. Even the largest microSD on the market, a 512gb card, was already full on my Switch. I have had to delete countless digital copies of games and install their physical version with the update. It's definitely not cool when they do it on other systems, but it's a much bigger issue when the grand total space on your system is only half a terabyte and games are routinely 15gb with 3-5gb updates. And while AAA games may take up half the space they do on other systems, all the mid tier games are not compressed at all when compared to other versions. And those games actually account for most of the games released and most of the space used. Which means you've got games releasing which are just as big as on other systems, but you have 10% of the expanded space you could have had on another system with expanded space.

So it is kind of a bigger deal when it happens on Switch. Of course, a game having a 4-5 GB download is really no different then a game having a 4-5 GB update. Banner Saga Trilogy download was 4.3gb, while my data downloaded for Rocket League retail release was actually more. My downloaded data for Southpark and Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors was actually more. And some of those had season pass content included, but at the end of the day an additional download is an additional download

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Yeah I honestly have no idea what exactly is going on. There's definitely a move to digital, but iirc it hasn't been happening as fast for Nintendo as it has for Xbox or PlayStation. Maybe it's happening faster for third party titles than it is for first party?

That chart position for TWEWY is interesting. As great as it is, it's a $50 port of a niche cult classic. Then again, similar could be said of Bayonetta, and that's done well so far.

One thing that I found interesting is how well Surgeon Simulator has been doing. For such an old indie title, it's certainly held its own on the eShop chart for the past month.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

link3710

@IceClimbers TWEWY and Bayonetta share something in common however, and I'm not sure how much it's helping. Bayonetta had appeared in Smash prior to the ports appearing, and the TWEWY cast played an important role in Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance on the 3DS. Appearing in such major franchises, plus the general cult status of the series might explain it.

link3710

FaeKnight

Honestly, I don't see the appeal of obsessively tracing the placement of every game in the Eshop based on preorder sales and launch sales. I mean, does it really matter?

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Geobros

I don't know if I am on topic or not but I have a question and I didn't find a more relevant topic.

Did anyone downloaded Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story? According to eshop list it released October 2th, but I don't find it on my eshop (fr). I searched for it on UK eshop too and zero results. Is that strange? Or I did something wrong?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/10/nintendo_download_4t...

Geobros

My Nintendo: Geobros

Cobalt

HUMMMM... Is it possible that the new version of the Switch will be available sooner than what we could expect ???

-"Level-5 which obviously took into account the players' feedback to the TGS on the technical status of their next two productions. Thus, Inazuma Eleven who was sure to come out for this end of the year will now be content with a "winter", so until February 2019, while Yo-Kai Watch 4 will wait for him outright the spring of 2019."-

Cobalt

Tsurii

We're not getting a beefier switch a year after release...

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

NEStalgia

@IceClimbers Much as I like XBox and want them to succeed with more exclusives, I"m not comfortable with their buying spree. They have a LONG history of destroying every studio they buy and this spree reminds me of EA's buyout fest a decade or so ago. We don't need more shuttered studios or studios working on project driven games....especially not Obsidian, the last great WRPG company left built of the relics of the old ones. They needed to build new studios, not buy and try to change other studios, in the classic MS way that has never gone well.

@Knuckles-Fajita I don't think it's a mistake. They want to end physical forever. That was the whole point of the XBone launch debacle: Openly declaring physical as nothing but an unlock key for the digital store. Like for Steam. They don't want to fit it on the disc, that doesn't further their agenda of ending discs. I'm not convinced PS5/X2 will even have a disc drive. I could easily see BC for digital purchases only. It's much too soon for that, and yet.....we're down to the most poplar games already being download only.

@JaxonH There haven't been many games that are the reasons people bought a Switch. They're games that appeal to the core/loyal base in the extreme (PS/XB/PC gamers that like portability on Switch) but not so much the broad market. Other than Octopath, there's been virtually nothing of merit this year save some third party games that appeal to the hardcore fans, and WiiU ports that appeal to everyone other than the hardcore fans that already played them. I think the lagging Switch sales is maybe a little bit Amazon, a little big digital shift (especially with game sharing now), but mostly: The software just hasn't been compelling to the entire market at once since December.

Civ6 is going to be EXTREMELY niche in the console space in general. That's just sooooo PC-hardcore as franchise and barely lives in the public mind. IMO that's a game wholly "for the fans" targeting the PC gamers who love Switch for portability. I think it'll deliver expected sales but I think they know their market isn't large to begin with. Plus....that really needs to be digital.... The masses will play Spidey and Tomb Raider and RDR and Pokemon. The nerdery of the Internet is excited for handheld deep simulation strategy PC games.

@IceClimbers Keep in mind the shift digital on the other platforms is largely induced by deep sales too. Everyone knows you can get older games from the current gen for $7-20 on sales digitally without looking around for scratched discs etc. And even new games. SotTR is 25% off digitally on X1 this week...the game's not even a month old and is the top advertising budget game on the platform. Amazon and friends no longer have physical discounts, and even when they did it was 5% more. Sony marks down first party games within month....HZD was half price in 3 months. The full collection with DLC has routinely been $20 in the past 5 months. Nintendo? BotW is still $59.99 on the eshop. It released the exact same week as HZD. Why go digital? (ok 5% credit... still beats Amazon...)

I actually wanted to double dip on TWEWY digital and physical. But that control schemel...no thanks I'll keep my discounted physical from the discount era.

@Cobalt If you mean the exceedingly obvious and long expected cut down handheld only low cost, child-proof Switch, sure, I could see it as early as Feb to give it plenty of buildup on the market for summer travel into holiday Pokemon.

If you mean a new premium Switch you've got a 2 year wait minimum.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

Never forget the Xbox 360 and 3DS's bajillion revisions in such a short amount of time.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

link3710

@EvilLucario But the one Cobalt is talking about would be a New 3DS/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X enhancing / required for certain games style upgrade. Those are not that common.

link3710

EvilLucario

@link3710 I'm aware. I don't think a better Switch in specs will happen until 2020 at the earliest. The PS4 Pro came out 3 years after and the New 3DS after like... 4 years?

But predicting there will be a revision is like saying the sun will shine. It's like, no **** dude. The 3DS and 360 had a LOT of revisions back in their day.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic