Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,661 to 34,680 of 45,861

RedderRugfish

I'd prefer that video games not try to be art and instead just focus on being fun games.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

bluemage1989

@GrailUK @gcunit I think defining 'art' is a debate that is never going to be resolved on a Nintendo fansite or anywhere else for that matter anytime soon. I personally think everyday entertainment and art are very different concepts and that while the everyday can be beautiful and art can also be beautiful this doesn't mean that the everyday is art. I think everyone can have there own definition of art thats cool but you know its a Sunday afternoon I've just had a lovely meal with my wife and kids and I'm going to lay back and play some Super Mario Party with them I'll leave the philosophical debates to you'll.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

GrailUK

@bluemage1989 Ye. Let's just draw a line under it and move on.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish Yeah agreed. The best forms of art doesn't come from trying so hard, it just comes naturally by just creating the best possible product you can get. Games like Dark Souls, Xenogears, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Halo 1, Chrono Trigger, and etc fit that bill pretty nicely if you ask me. But if you really really try hard to be art inherently like what Braid does, you'll miss the mark pretty badly (and Braid kinda fails at that whereas Dark Souls succeeds better).

And besides, some works of art commonly used also doubled as entertainment. As an example, Charles Dickens' books may seem like stuffy old books all about doom and gloom like A Tale of Two Cities, but they were actually written as funny books for its time for entertainment. Of course we know of books like those for being more profound and deep, but for the time there was actual humorous qualities that only really stick for people of that time period.

Of course at the end of the day, right now the term "art" is so abstract and arbitrary that before anyone argues if anything is art, the term "art" needs to be defined with hard guidelines.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

toiletduck

At this rate I wonder in how many pages from now you guys will have defined the very meaning of life!

toiletduck

FaeKnight

toiletduck wrote:

At this rate I wonder in how many pages from now you guys will have defined the very meaning of life!

Duh, it's 42. Everyone knows that the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42. The real problem is that nobody knows what the question it's self is.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

EvilLucario

Life only exists to play video games.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong. :^]

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

FaeKnight

No, life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

FaeKnight

Anti-Matter

@EvilLucario
But my life is Not for gaming entirely.
There are another things i must do like drawing, giving a private lessons, doing my chores, etc.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

HobbitGamer

@FaeKnight Life is what happens when you’re neglecting to play video games 😂

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

FaeKnight

Sometimes you're Partying with Mario. Others you recieve a message on Xbox Live saying "HA, now you'll pay! I hope they kill you, you damn red shell cheating bass!" a few minutes before you get SWATed while playing World of Kefflings online by someone who's salty that you cut them off a couple times that week in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

No, seriously. That literally just happened to me, the local SWAT team just left. I hadn't even known we had a swat team here until now. I saw red lights through the blinds, and thought it was the pizza I'd ordered. So I was rather surprised when I open the door just as SWAT was about to break it down.

Also, ow... Those battering rams HURT if they hit you by accident. As I was dealing with the police I convinced them to let me check the message I'd recently gotten on Xbox Live since I had a bad feeling about it. The police were not amused by the message since it indicated they'd been crank called by someone that was trying to get me killed.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

FaeKnight

Cobalt

If this is the reason why we don't have any news from RETRO STUDIOS since Tropical Freeze, I swear I will never forgive Nintendo... The RAREWARE period still sticks in my throat...

Untitled

Cobalt

Octane

@OorWullie That's his thing, being purposefully obscure and vague so it seems he knows something we don't do. But he won't explain what it is about

Octane

dourfram

@Cobalt Nintendo is shrinking. Maybe it's time to support them instead of launching another smear campaign against them if you want to save the japanese industry. Because Sony clearly showed they don't care about it and only care about big budget western games.

dourfram

Cobalt

@OorWullie

Klobrille (a guy who got a lot of infos right several times) said that Microsoft has view on several studios (apparently Obsidian Entertainment is close to be bought) BUT he said that there is a TEXAN studio that could be the next one sort of... :/

So, Retro Studio is not the only studio from Texas but when you cross the fact that we have no news from RETRO STUDIOS for a long time, hummmm it's like it smells not really good...

I hope that I'm wrong but it's a possibility that RETRO STUDIO could become a MicroSoft studio in a near future... like RareWare back then...

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

toiletduck

@Cobalt Thanks for the explanation. A kind request/word of advice: if you would include this info with your initial post, you'll probably come across a lot friendlier.

toiletduck

FragRed

In a weird way it actually wouldn't be too surprising if Nintendo did sell Retro Studios. I was kinda wondering recently whether this may happen and again, wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo sold them. The problem is, Nintendo isn't exactly big on internal development teams and as budgets and resources go up, the number of games they create will go down.

Edited on by FragRed

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

Therad

There are loads of dev studios in texas in different sizes.

But I do think Retro has problems, it was a very long time we heard about their new IP, but nothing seems to have come from it. I think they are either in dev hell or the new game has been scrapped.

Therad

FragRed

@Therad It was rumoured to be 2 games - a ghost/horror game that was cancelled due to development problems and a Star Fox racer which has all but disappeared since the "leaks" earlier this year. Something is definitely seriously wrong.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic