Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,561 to 34,580 of 69,964

Grumblevolcano

Youtube is now up on the eshop.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Not that I'll even bother downloading, but good. Now all we need is Netflix and people will stop complaining about streaming apps and get back to games lol

link3710

toiletduck

@Grumblevolcano @link3710 I sincerely wonder how many of the complaining people will actually use the app...

I'm happy for the people hoping for it though. Personally I couldn't care less and would've preferred that Nintendo would keep focussing on gaming. Then again, I can conveniently cast videos to my 48" smart tv from my smartphone and I usually have a laptop or MacBook lying around in the living room, so perhaps I should just shhhss and be happy for my fellow switch owners

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

TuVictus

Yeah, I was bummed when Nintendo made all of their development studios stop working on games to create the Youtube app. Such a waste of resources.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

link3710

@toiletduck If it makes you feel any better, Nintendo didn't develop the app, YouTube did, so it's not disrupting development of games.

link3710

Nemodius

has anyone else received a message on their Wii/Wii U saying that Jan 30th Netflix will be taken off all Nintendo devices ???

or is Nintendo Frakking with me because I keep saying Put Netflix on Switch (being facetious)
I wonder just what the funk went on at the negotiating table with Nintendo and Netflix earlier this year ???
I mean DAMN !!! that's some harsh retribution

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

toiletduck

@PikPi @link3710 Enabling something in your front end will always require resources, even though this 'something' is developed by a third party. This could be a minor issue, but the impact could also be quite serious, e.g. on security or communications protocols and interaction with the OS.

toiletduck

Grumblevolcano

@Nemodius The Wii Shop Channel shuts down on January 30th so maybe it's connected to that?

But your comment did remind me that closing down the Wii Shop Channel breaks Skyward Sword because it required the update channel.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Nemodius I'm... probably quitting Netflix then. I use my Wii U as my main device for that at home, so, guess that's out. Weird choice to take away working versions of the app. I understand disabling the Wii app, that's ancient at this point and the shop is shutting down, or the 3DS app, as I doubt it ever had much use, but the Wii U one as well, without even moving over to the Switch first? Ouch.

link3710

Anti-Matter

@toiletduck
Just now i have watched Youtube on Switch.
I noticed the HUGE differences between watching Youtube on my smartphone VIVO Y31 & my Switch.
For Youtube videos that support 60 fps, my smartphone CANNOT deliver on 60 fps (still looked like 30 fps), but my Switch CAN and it was So UNREAL to watch Youtube videos on 60 fps.

Anti-Matter

HobbitGamer

@link3710 Wait, what's happening to shops other than Wii?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Octane

@Grumblevolcano It won't ''break'' Skyward Sword. As long as you know what triggers the glitch, it's very easy to avoid it. Just get the Thunder Dragon's song last, and you'll be fine.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@HobbitGamer Nothing as far as we know, only Wii Shop Channel is shutting down which makes shutting down Netflix on 3DS and Wii U odd. Unless Nintendo's going to pull a Xbox 360 and lock Netflix on Switch behind Nintendo Switch Online.

Grumblevolcano

HobbitGamer

@Grumblevolcano Oh, ok. I haven't seen a notice about Netflix going down. What's with all the Monday maintenance across platform shops next week?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Nemodius

@Grumblevolcano
considering how badly negotiations went earlier this year with Netflix, it doesn't surprise me that Nintendo would tell them to Funk Off by removing from all Nintendo devices, they know that no one wants to hookup their PC's/laptops to their tv's and the loss of service access from Nintendo devices will hit them hard, people will cancel their subscriptions, sounds like extortion to me, something Nintendo has also done with the Nintendo Direct, access for games that can play everywhere that used to be free is no longer

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

toiletduck

@Anti-Matter good to hear! Glad that it's of good use to you

toiletduck

Nemodius

@subpopz
the Wii and Wii U have A/V hookups and is usually the only means of multimedia streaming for their tv's is their game systems for most people Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft systems, but the number of Nintendo systems hooked up to their tv's is significant, loss from portable Nintendo devices, sure, not so much, but it still affects the whole

and again, most people don't want to hookup their comps/laptops/tablets to their tv's and the number of wifi capable smart tv's is still small (for now) compared to the general population

I agree, Netflix on my 3DS wasn't mindblowing, but it was convenient
the world has been shrinking for some time, people multi-task more than ever with their portable devices and phones at the same time as watching regular tv, it will hit them, they don't rely on the cost of service fees for profits, they rely on the number of customers, Nintendo is a huge doorway for them into the lives of the consumer, has nothing to do with how powerful the systems are, but the sheer numbers and there are an assload of Nintendo owners that use their systems to watch Netflix (and other streaming media services), if Netflix is excluded from all Nintendo products, it WILL hit them, not enough to put them out of business, but they will have to find a way to make up that money

Roku sales (and other such devices) are about to jump in sales big time in the next 2-3 months,
"I Gairr-Onn-TEE !!!"
(Justin Wilson 1914-2001)

Edited on by Nemodius

Octane

Here's an idea for the Switch mini: Fold it yerself lazy dabswabble!

Untitled

Octane

Nemodius

@Octane
I don't mind the older idea of the one with permanent Joy-Cons, but honestly, I still have a problem with the resolution, a lot of games push the 720p to its limits, and some games that are also high rez that also have a darker moti'f would be adversely affected by a smaller screen, I don't want to spend my time trying to squint to see certain things or read print that may already be very small on the regular size

smaller systems like the GBA, DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, even though the later ones at 800 x 240 made certain images bigger to adapt, but trying to fit images that are just comfortable at 6.2" on 1,280 x 720 into a 5" screen will be a pain in the brass, it just wouldn't be any fun

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic