Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,401 to 34,420 of 69,981

Nemodius

@Yosheel "who would want to be a false phoenix ???"
a person who wants to be reborn as plant food I guess, people ash is great plant food

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Ryu_Niiyama

From Nintendo Everything:

Earlier this month, Marvelous announced that it will be bringing Fate/Extella Link to Switch in Japan. XSEED has now followed up with news confirming that it will be released in North America.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

link3710

@JaxonH Even if it is all digital (there's conflicting information) keep in mind Octopath Traveler suffered from massive stock shortages on release, so the normal ratio wouldn't hold.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

If there's a Smash Ultimate demo, I hope the character selection is better than the 3DS demo. Bring in more interesting characters like Shulk into the demo.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Agriculture

This quarters numbers of Switch and PS4 sales are up now, and it's neck in neck:

PS4
This quarter 86.1 million
Last quarter 82.2 million
= 3.9 million PS4 sold

Switch
This quarter 22.86 million
Last quarter 19.67 million
= 3.19 million Switches sold

It's good for the whole industry if all consoles sell a lot, but it's also very nice that the Switch is gaining on it's competition.

Agriculture

JaxonH

New Civ video from Nintendo's YT that explains some basics. I remember when they used to make these videos for Xenoblade X. I think it's a great idea because it makes the game a lot more welcoming to newcomers:

@Agriculture
I agree.

And it doesn't even need to outsell it's competition- for one, simply because it's not going to. I mean, it'll catch Xbox but, PS has been far and away the market leader of the console market since they first entered the market... And that's fine. The fact Switch is even keeping pace in the same ballpark with PS4, the uber-dominant market leader in it's sales peak, is downright astonishing.

What matters most is that it sells enough to be a viable platform, and that software sells enough to attract as many 3rd party developers as possible. And I think we've achieved that. Switch is selling enough that nobody really says "We're not bringing our game because it isn't selling well enough" or says "We're not bringing our game because software attach rates are abysmal". On the contrary, the system is selling well enough that most publishers started paying attention, and the software is selling really well, to the point we're seeing a massive influx of games developed for Switch.

And that's when you kick your feet up, relax, and just enjoy the games for the next 5 years. They've done it. They've created a viable market with extremely impressive software sales that have brought devs to the table. As long as software keeps selling well, and as long as the system itself keeps a reasonable double digit pace each year- doesn't need to be anything extraordinary (although the more the better, obviously), but is long as it's doing 10 million or more every year that's plenty to keep the machine oiled and running smoothly.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BrainOfGrimlock

Aozz101x wrote:

Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix is coming to switch in the west on November 8, 2018
https://nintendoeverything.com/mercenaries-wings-the-false-ph...
could be interesting.

I thought it looked interesting - but then I'm a salesmans/game publishers dream and they had me at 'Tactical RPG'.

Anyone played the other games they've released? The scores/reviews are damning more with apathy than scathing criticism which is sometimes/often worse - we've all got fond memories of good-bad games but no-one reminisces about the one that made them go 'meh'?

BrainOfGrimlock

Anti-Matter

I got some info from Siliconera about World of Final Fantasy Maxima.

"World of Final Fantasy Maxima releases on November 6, 2018 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC. There will be a live stream with new info on the game takes on November 5."

Anti-Matter

IceClimbers

Preload is live on the US eShop for Civ VI and Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Monster Boy is $40...

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

Nice job on the file size for Civ VI as well. Under 5gb for the whole package! This game is going on my internal memory next to Monster Hunter. Because it's one of those games with replayability that will literally last the entire generation, just like MHGU.

Daily Allotment
Ooh! Btw. I got Mutant League Football in the mail today. Gave it a spin... So. The reviews are kind of mediocre for other platform versions, in the 6-7 out of 10 range. BUT. I kind of agree with those reviews while at the same time feeling like it's one of those games that are way better than the objective score suggests. There are some things about the game that do drag it down. No replays. Lame half time mini game. Stuff like that. But the game is just so good in all other respects that it overcomes those negative aspects.

I've got to give this one a strong recommendation for anyone itching to experience classic arcadey football games of the retro era. It really is a solid game, specially for the price which is just $30 for a physical version ($23.99 with GCU, for any who are blessed to have a membership like I do). It's a really incredible throwback to games I think all of us loved and grew up on. And while it's not perfect, the "fun factor" of the game is more like an 8.5 out of 10 than a 7.

Also. It looks super crisp in handheld mode. That's always one of the first things I like to know about Switch games nowadays. I think I've grown to appreciate nice, super crisp HD handheld games. And this one passes with flying colors for the handheld. Looks phenomenal in portable mode.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BrainOfGrimlock

JaxonH wrote:

Daily Allotment
Ooh! Btw. I got Mutant League Football in the mail today. Gave it a spin... So. The reviews are kind of mediocre for other platform versions, in the 6-7 out of 10 range. BUT. I kind of agree with those reviews while at the same time feeling like it's one of those games that are way better than the objective score suggests. There are some things about the game that do drag it down. No replays. Lame half time mini game. Stuff like that. But the game is just so good in all other respects that it overcomes those negative aspects.

I've got to give this one a strong recommendation for anyone itching to experience classic arcadey football games of the retro era. It really is a solid game, specially for the price which is just $30 for a physical version ($23.99 with GCU, for any who are blessed to have a membership like I do). It's a really incredible throwback to games I think all of us loved and grew up on. And while it's not perfect, the "fun factor" of the game is more like an 8.5 out of 10 than a 7.

I asked Magician about this yesterday and I think I scared them into thinking I'm some sort of internet crazy as it probably came across as "I don't like American Football, do you think I will like the American Football game?"! That kind of is what I'm asking but also isn't so please bear with me as I try to explain, probably using 500 words when 20 would do...? I will add that if they'd just hurry up and port Pyre (or even PES) to the Switch I'd probably just settle for those instead!

Everything you explain about it sounds great for me - I LOVE the old retro sports games from back in the day; NBA Jam, the original FIFA's, Fever Pitch Soccer and the icing on the cake; NHL (particularly 94!). To see a game made in a similar image with both monsters (ok, mutants) and a team building/franchise mode sends me giddy with excitement except for the fact it's based on perhaps the only sport that I've ever struggled to get into/on with. Stand by for the crazy part; is it (the american football part) so hardcore/ingrained into the game with that I'd never be able to pick it up? Do I need a wealth of tactical knowledge/jargon (or plays?) to be able to have anything approaching a good time or as it's more arcade-y will it come quite naturally after a few games given my love/familiarity with sports games in general? In an ideal world I'd pass and wait for them to bring the Ice Hockey version out but we both know that's never going to happen. NBA playgrounds keeps missing the mark in terms of retro-arcadey-sports-games and I've already bought/been disappointed by Legendary Eleven so am looking at this like a hungry honey badger in need of a meal (or fix)!

BrainOfGrimlock

Cynas

There's an Owlboy teaser for a possible amiibo, or just a general figure. The official announcement for whatever it is will be November 16th.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

NEStalgia

@IceClimbers Monster Boy is pretty overpriced. I ordered it physical with my remaining GCU, and as luck turned out I had a $5 rewards available too, so that brought it down to $29 or so. Rewards expired 11/24 anyway and I'm not sure what else I would have bought there in that time. I loved Dragon's Trap remake, so I couldn't pass on this.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@kkslider5552000 "Square-Enix really understands their consumer market and their appeal within that space, and is expert at making and positioning products that resonate with that market and carefully coordinating their messaging around it."
-No one ever.

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

Welp I guess I'm getting an eshop card for owl boy. I have it on pc but its in the folder of "will never have time to play".

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

BrainOfGrimlock

Last place i’ll post it as I feel dirty from ‘forum-spam’ but I know a lot of people are eagerly awaiting - not sure if it’s a follow the sun/rolling release time or ‘one size fits all’ but D3 just became active for me so fingers crossed it is for you!

BrainOfGrimlock

JaxonH

@BrainOfGrimlock
I think you'll be alright.

You just pick a play, and each one has a simple diagram (like an arrow up the middle showing that you should run the ball up the middle, etc). Run the play and try to stick to it because your team is in position for the play you picked. It actually takes you through the basic rules of the game too, like what a first down is, and that your objective is to get the ball 10 yards down the field to make it to a first down, until you eventually score a touchdown in the end zone. And once you score your first touchdown they explain how the extra point attempt works, or how you can gamble for two points with a 2 point conversion.

I know the rules of football just because I live in the US and I watched it as a teenager, but I'm not really into it now. I have to admit though, that the way they explained the game as if they were talking to someone who had never played a game of football in their life, serves as a perfect tutorial for anyone unfamiliar with the game.

You're going to be just fine. It's not a simulation game like Madden. Just an arcadey, fun experience. Pick up play and either run the ball forward or pass it, making your way down the field in hopes of eventually reaching the end zone. The few rules you need to know about, the game will explain to you extremely well in simple terms.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic