Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 33,081 to 33,100 of 69,993

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. If they were pushing it out now, I'd feel like they'd have something to announce soon but as it is...

I'm just impatient because there's a chance that Adeleine, Daroach, Gooey, and more of the Dream Friends might actually play an important role in the next game now that they have HD models and full movesets. I mean, the only major characters in the series missing now (since Chuchu, Naga, and Pitch are in Clean) are Prince Fluff, Haltmann and Dark Matter/Zero. Plus, Star Allies really didn't sate me... Ah well, we're getting Yoshi soon enough, that'll do.

link3710

-Green-

Kirby and Yoshi game. They can have turns eating other.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

JaxonH

Just got Labyrinth of Refrain in the mail today.

I had originally decided to skip it but then I watched a video review that completely sold me on the game. It's a dungeon crawler but with that Disgaea styled flair of adding a complex system or two. And the graphics and environments look way better in that video review than the footage I was seeing before launch.

So ya, that's cool.

Also, The World Ends With You preload is live. That's one of the all-time greats, and deserves a digital download for the all star library accessible 24/7 (as was Valkyria Chronicles 4, Dragonball Fighter Z, Monster Hunter Gen Ult, Xenoblade Torna, and South Park Stick of Truth, although that one was only available digitally).

Sooooooo many games being added to the library digitally, space is filling up so quickly. A 512gb should stem the bleeding through mid to late 2019, but after that... well, thankfully Nyko is releasing a plastic version of the kickstand with spare slot for extra micro sd in October. Two 512gb cards should do the trick.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

Wow, MK8 Deluxe is a ghost town compared to free online era. Full lobbies seem to be rare with mostly half a lobby maximum.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Probably wasn't a good idea to charge for online.

Although, regardless of the rights and wrongs of online paywalls on consoles, $20/yr is an incredibly small price to pay to play games online. By not subbing, you're essentially forfeiting all your online modes in every single game you own, just to save $20 in an entire year's time, which is a horrible tradeoff. At the end of the day, I need my online. I would never dream of giving up Monster Hunter with my brother to save $20/yr. That's about 0.46% of the one single paycheck I just got today. To cover an entire year. At the end of the day, I'm a gamer and I just want to game. I paid the $60 to play MH World online when it released, and I'll pay this $20 now. Besides, cloud saves make it worthwhile anyways.

I imagine the hardcore communities won't be phased though. Like, no MH fan is gonna forfeit playing MH online over such a trivial sum, unless they're caught up in standing on principle (which hey, more power to em, but it won't get em very far- since all 3 consoles now do it that's the way it's gonna be forever, so like it or not, you can pay the $20 and party on, or give up playing console games online for the rest of your life).

The bigger games though, that have a much higher percentage of more casual gamers and minors who don't have income... those games are going to suffer. Those people will likely migrate to F2P like Paladins, Fortnite, Arena of Valor and Warframe.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Yosheel
So, fair warning.

A few months back this kickstand was brought up and I testified to my experience with it thus far. And at the time I said I thought it was a great product and hadn't had any issues with it whatsoever.

That's not exactly true anymore.

The issue I began to have is, overtime, after using it enough, the metal notch that clicks it shut began to wear the plastic notch on the system down, and it got to the point where, when I put a normal plastic kickstand back on, it barely clicked shut. Once I realized this I immediately threw the Nyko kickstand in a drawer, because I didn't want to do further damage to the point a normal kickstand will never close shut again.

But now with the plastic version coming out you can get the best of both worlds. The convenience of storing an extra SD without wearing the plastic notch down that keeps the stand clipped shut.

Edited on by JaxonH

Eel

Oh I see, well he hasn't removed it or said anything about it damaging his system so far.

Though I guess maybe he simply doesn't use the system in tabletop mode.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

link3710

@JaxonH It'll improve over time. The people I'm planning on doing a family plan with aren't getting their Switches until November / Christmas respectively, so I'm going a few months without online because of that. I'm sure once Pokemon, and again Smash drops, far more people will sub.

link3710

Therad

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Wow, MK8 Deluxe is a ghost town compared to free online era. Full lobbies seem to be rare with mostly half a lobby maximum.

Technically this also happens on the other consoles but no one notices because they had it from start.

I wonder how a title like morphies law will survive if mk8 can't sustain a user base.

Therad

FragRed

I understand a lot of people are still mad that online is no longer free for the Nintendo Switch, which does suck after 18 months of not having to pay, however I think over time it will become something people just accept and buy into - especially those buying the console moving forward.

@subpopz This is never going to happen, and I don't mean from Nintendo but Sony or Microsoft also. Sony came from a console (PS3) that was free and had a subscription model kind of like you suggested, to a £60/$60 per year full on online subscription and it has made them absolutely hundreds of millions if not several billion over the last 5 years. There is no incentive for them to ever go back. Same with Microsoft whom had this from the very start.

@Yosheel This I can potentially see happening, depending on how greedy Nintendo are. I know Microsoft does free weekends from time to time, not sure about Sony, so it is a possibility but like I said, it depends on whether Nintendo this idea beneficial to their business model going forward.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@subpopz Yeah, basically this. I play an online match of Splatoon 2 once in a while, so the full €20 didn't seem worth it to me. It also seems weird to me that one would need to pay for online to do a quick trade in Pokemon to get the trade evolutions, we've been doing that since DP in 2006 for free, and let's be honest, those trades aren't a strain on their servers at all. But a 100 hours of Fortnite in a month is free And Pokemon is already kinda weird, because the Pokebank is a completely separate sub. So you'd need the NSO sub for online stuff, and a second sub for the Pokebank stuff. The least they could do is merge them I think.

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

@subpopz Yeah, basically this. I play an online match of Splatoon 2 once in a while, so the full €20 didn't seem worth it to me. It also seems weird to me that one would need to pay for online to do a quick trade in Pokemon to get the trade evolutions, we've been doing that since DP in 2006 for free, and let's be honest, those trades aren't a strain on their servers at all. But a 100 hours of Fortnite in a month is free And Pokemon is already kinda weird, because the Pokebank is a completely separate sub. So you'd need the NSO sub for online stuff, and a second sub for the Pokebank stuff. The least they could do is merge them I think.

What? You need to have online to trade in let's go? If that is the case, it feels really cheap.

Therad

toiletduck

Octane wrote:

@subpopz Yeah, basically this. I play an online match of Splatoon 2 once in a while, so the full €20 didn't seem worth it to me.

Yeah same here for MK8 and probably Splatoon 2 in the near future if I get hooked. I don't care about 20 euros though so I decided to get the sub for this, cloud saves and the occasional NES game. It is a pain though that a large group of occasional gamers don't get the sub, because that makes the lobbies a lot less crowded.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

JaxonH

Ya I definitely understand the whole adding up thing. Having 3 systems myself, I said the same thing, granted it's a bit different when you're talking about Sony and MS at $60/yr. I rarely play online so it's not worth $120/yr. But I kinda feel Nintendo is cheap enough not to present an issue. It's an easy stocking stuffer at $20. Plus being a portable system, the cloud saves almost feel mandatory since the risk of losing saves by damage/loss/theft is higher for a portable, especially one that's not carried in your pocket. Even at 1% chance, that's a lottery ticket I'm not willing to hold to save $20. So I think even people who don't play online much might just want the securtity, an automatic save backup service for $20/yr.

I do hope they improve things though. SNESflix and messaging friends, even via app, would go a long ways.

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH How the hell do you earn $4000 per paycheque?

Sure $20 is "nothing" to you but with that wage I hope to God you realise you're the exception there.

I'm working 40 hours of nights a week for maximum income and I'll be lucky, after 20% income tax, to get £800 per month.

$20 is a fair bit of cash to a lot of people.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic