Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 32,981 to 33,000 of 69,993

JaxonH

@Mrtoad
It's disastrous, isn't it?

I don't really know what to make of it. DB Xenoverse 2 released and sold 500k copies, a lot of those sales from people specifically hoping for DB Fighter Z. Here it is, and it's confirmed to be a great game, full 1080p/60fps and 720p docked, but where's the fans?

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is just as surprising (and concerning). These are easily two of the best games that are going to release on the Nintendo Switch. When we look back at the full catalog of games released over the course of this generation and evaluate the top 50 lists and all that jazz, these two games will definitely be part of that discussion.

I don't really get it. The DB Xenoverse 2 forum was lively at the time of its release. This is a better game and much more highly demanded game and not a single person is in there talking about it.

But ya, we're kind of seeing this shift towards disinterest of high-quality games, whereas up to this point, even this summer, everything was exceeding expectations, even YS VIII. Both these games are just as good if not better, so it's really hard to grasp what's going on here.

But something is going on, even if I'm not sure what exactly it is yet.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Spoony_Tech

Why people, just why?? The game comes out in a couple weeks, just wait!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Toy_Link

@JaxonH DBFZ is doing fine. It was at #68 on Sunday, so it seems to have some traction. For comparison FIFA 19 releasing on the same day and is at #118 last time I checked.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

JaxonH

@Mrtoad
Well, that's not exactly inspiring... for either game. Have to see how they perform after release but, last year NBA 2K18 was in the top 10 of the eShop. This year? Not even top 30. Last year, FIFA was top 10 of the eShop. This year? Seems it too will be nowhere to be seen (it might climb the ranks but, #118 this close to release isn't looking good). Last year DB Xenoverse was top 10 of eShop. Will the much more highly anticipated DB Fighter Z do the same?

If it was just one single game I would chalk it up to random chance, but it's like every single game now. Like a trend... a pattern shift. I guess for now all we can do is wait and see, and hope for the best.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

DB FighterZ isn't even on the Europe eshops let alone preorders available despite the game coming out in a few days.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spoony_Tech

@ReaderRagfish What's sad is the cart is in poor condition and yet people don't seem to care.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

RR529

Just watched the credits roll in Shining Resonance Refrain.

It's a solid, if not particularly remarkable, JRPG. The battle system is good but standard (it IS fun transforming into a dragon, but very OP), unlike some of the other big 3D RPGs on the system (notably XC2 & YS VIII) in runs native res at all times portable, though in terms of world design it's locations are the typical archtypes (grass area, forest, snowy mountain, etc.), and likely due to a smallish budget, there aren't many animated cutscenes, with the vast bulk of the story sections being told in a visual novel like presentation. It also has a few other oddities, like the fact that they seemingly forgot to add save points before a few bosses in the late game, and you can fast travel back to town, but not to any of the game's other regions (not even to the camps littered throughout the overworld).

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun enough time, but unless you're really into grabbing JRPGs, I'd say stick with the more popular choices like XC2, YS VIII, and Octopath (I assume, as I haven't yet played that last one).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

link3710

Well personally, I'm waiting for VC1 before getting VC4. Besides which, with Prime preorder discounts not being a thing, why preorder games from Amazon anymore?

link3710

misanthrope

@subpopz Sony is going to maintain their dominance over xbox next gen, they're basically free to take whatever stance they want.. xbox will never be a threat.

misanthrope

link3710

@misanthrope Now that's a laugh. Xbox was a huge threat last generation,what makes you think the same won't hold true next generation? The new management there seems to actually have their heads on straight, so I could see the NeXtBox being the best console they've had yet.

link3710

FragRed

@misanthrope @link3710 Never ever underestimate how tides can change from one generation to the next. No one ever thought Sony would fall so hard after the triumph of the original PlayStation and certainly the PlayStation 2. Yet, they messed up big time from the very get go of the PS3.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

gcunit

@JaxonH You've been admirably beating the drum for Valkyria Chronicles 4, but to me there's a very good reason why people aren't getting excited about it.

I won't pretend to be an expert on the issue, but as a prospective buyer I see virtually NOTHING that differentiates VC4 from VC1.

And this is reflected in Metro.co.uk's review:

Metro wrote:

In Short: More a remake than a sequel but still a welcome return for one of the most original and distinctive genre mash-ups of recent years.

Pros: Still one of the best action strategy games ever made, with a clever spin on traditional turn-based combat. Nicely humanised units and the cel-shaded artwork still looks great.

Cons: Very little in the way of new ideas or feature. Story is less interesting than the original and there are too many cut scenes. Limited AI and twitchy tank controls.

Score: 8/10

Clearly a very good game. But seemingly too similar to an existing game to get excited about. I don't want to drop £40 on a game that's just like another I own.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@gcunit
Well I mean, there's the different characters and personal story, different maps, etc. it might follow the same template as the first but, that's kind of what everyone told them they wanted them to do (especially after Valkyria Revolution deviated), return to what made the series great with the first.

That doesn't mean it's not a different game though. It's like all the fire emblem games. Same formula and template but it's different games, and they're all good. When you're talking about strategy games, it's the maps and the strategy being different that matters, although there's new characters and story too.

Idk. I think just because a game follows the same template doesn't mean it's not worth enjoying. It's a Valkaria chronicles game. A country's going to invade and your group is going to have to fight them, it's going to be strategy game play with certain classes and rules of engagement... I know this one sticks particularly close to the first but, given the second and third games got further and further from that, it's a good thing. I don't think just because they're similar though that it's going to feel like you're replaying the exact same game any more than playing DKC Tropical Freeze was the same as Returns.

toiletduck

JaxonH wrote:

How bout that DB Fighter Z though? How bout that Valkyria Chronicles 4 though? It's release week. Where's the excitement?!

Two games I simply couldn't care less about, sorry mate... And I'm guessing a lot of people feel that way too, there's not much else to it.

JaxonH wrote:

I don't really know what to make of it. DB Xenoverse 2 released and sold 500k copies, a lot of those sales from people specifically hoping for DB Fighter Z. Here it is, and it's confirmed to be a great game, full 1080p/60fps and 720p docked, but where's the fans?

At that time, backlogs were empty and there was little to look forward that was actually confirmed. That's changed now.

JaxonH wrote:

But something is going on, even if I'm not sure what exactly it is yet.

I think it's simpler than you suspect: the proportion "number of appealing games" / "number of available customers for these games" is shifting. There's a higher number of appealing games. Of course there's also more Switch owners, but a relatively high proportion may have bought the Switch either for the big hitters (not interested in the games you're referring to) or as a second/third gaming device (having been able to play the games you're referring to already on other platforms). Whether I like it or not, all people I know in my direct vicinity have never heard of VC 4 nor DBFZ.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

link3710

toiletduck wrote:

I think it's simpler than you suspect: the proportion "number of appealing games" / "number of available customers for these games" is shifting. There's a higher number of appealing games. Of course there's also more Switch owners, but a relatively high proportion may have bought the Switch either for the big hitters (not interested in the games you're referring to) or as a second/third gaming device (having been able to play the games you're referring to already on other platforms). Whether I like it or not, all people I know in my direct vicinity have never heard of VC 4 nor DBFZ.

I mean, that's pretty true. Everyone in my direct vicinity has heard about both, but that's solely thanks to me. Besides which, most of my friends are far more excited for the new My Hero Academia games, Naruto Trilogy, or Sword Art Online games than DBFZ. Honestly, I think Dragon Ball's popularity is finally waning.

link3710

Toy_Link

VC4 is now at #58. I don’t think the Best Sellers list has been updated since midnight, so I’d presume that it’ll be in the top 30 by Wednesday morning.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Ralizah

The special edition of VC4 is currently sitting at #36 on the best-selling Switch products list on Amazon. I don't even see the launch edition of the game in the top 100, though. Very weird.

It's trending slightly higher overall on Switch than on PS4 on Amazon.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

While it's true more appealing games are out, we're looking at macro trends here.

Obviously its a more niche game. Im sure a lot of people in certain groups haven't heard of it. But overall, there is a fanbase for these games. And overall, games have been selling much better than this until now. Even YS VIII and Shining Resonance charted significantly higher, and that was only 2 months ago. And YS VIII is a classic, as is VC4 and DBFZ. Id expect these 2 games to do as well if not better. Yet they're not even matching Shining Resonance, a decent but not spectacular niche release which dropped in the middle of the summer onslaught.

So I do think there's a significant trend change on a macro level, that's not explained by simply "my friends arent interested". Because that was true for countless previous releases which all went on to do very well.

I think a lot of early adopters might become dormant after a year or so. That could explain it somewhat.

Ryu_Niiyama

I'm pretty stoked for VC4 but I don't have the bandwidth for it. I'll get in December I think. I'm tying to stop buying games just to put them in my back log. I bought spiderman and it is still in my bookbag...

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic