Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 32,461 to 32,480 of 69,981

FragRed

@IceClimbers No I don’t think they have, but it makes sense to be Next Level.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I was so excited for it on Vita....the last real retail Vita game! And then a bunch of stuff dumped on 3DS, and I had to wrap up my WiiU backlog, and then Switch happened and it fell off my radar. I ended up buying it on a sale a few months ago for PS4, with the Vita firmly sitting idle now and decided I wanted to finally get into it. And then it appears on Switch after all! (while not a graphics snob, I do have to say though that WoFF and DQXI on Pro are probably the two most beautiful games I have ever seen. It will take a bit of effort to convince myself to leave graphics behind on those two....they're mesmerizing somehow. It's one of the only cases that portability actually competes with graphics in my head. )

It's both awesome and disturbing that almost everything on this list, I want. My backlog across all systems is, with all this 2019 stuff going to be over 210 games...... Unless they're backward compatible with improvements I feel like I really have to just skip the next gen entirely....I'll be playing these games for the next 8 years.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Eh, Ive seen far better looking games (try Wolfenstein 2 in native 4k 60fps on X1X).

Switch games aren't slouching in the graphics department though. Won't look entirely as good, but one only need look at DQ Builders to see how similar they actually are.

Graphics are nice, but at the end of the day, slightly less impressive graphics aren't going to substantially impact entertainment level (now, downgrades like Wolf 2 where res is super low, yes it does).

But hybrid format drastically improves it

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I suppose Wolf is more photo-realistic or better lighting, but nothing about wolf is "beautiful" DQ/WOFF are. I see what your'e saying but it doesn't gel the same way to me in terms of that mesmerising aspect. I don't mind the gfx drop for wolf, same game, different graphics. I played the DOS original, it's fine for me But the other two just make me want to not play and stare at the backdrops. Switch definitely won't have that quality to it.

And I love DQ:B to death, I was obsessed with it (on Switch) for months, but that game's fugly on all platforms Super stoked for the sequel though!

I'm the other way around with Wolf, only because motion. It plays well on Switch even if it looks comparably lousy. Even the Elite controller can't compare to the gyro. But DQXI and WoFF? It just sucks me in somehow. It's magic those graphics. I haven't seen WoFF on Vita though so I don't know what to expect. Youtube compression is brutal, so you can't tell from the presentation. I've been debating for weeks what I'll do for the DQXI double dip. Now I have 2 games to debate! Woff was meant for handheld though....so I think that's a more obvious bet.

NEStalgia

FaeKnight

Personally, I'm not interested in FFXV Pocket Edition. I'm not a fan of that art style usually, and I greatly enjoy the original version of the game. Maybe not every mission (stupid stealth sections), but the overall experience is pretty good IMO.

Then again, I have yet to play a Final Fantasy game I didn't like (other then Mystic Quest). Even FF2, weird as it was, had an engaging storyline.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Idk, nothing about that game struck me as particularly spectacular graphics wise. Looked pretty run of the mill to me. I mean the art style was great, and it was a good looking game, but the actually graphical fidelity did little for me. I think I enjoyed it more on Vita than PS4 (in fact thats definitely the case, since practically all my playtime was on Vita).

I find games much more attractive graphically on a portable than on a TV. WoFF on Vita, even being scaled back, looked more attractive than on PS4.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Well, I should specify that my gaming "TV" is a 23" monitor....but a really good one meant for photo editing with great gamut etc. So no special HDR 4k etc. nonsense, but also not stretched out to oblivion. That could affect what looks better or worse. And any tiny flaw in a photorealistic game is magnified 10 fold to me that way (but I'm too near sighted to play video games that expect reading text even on a huge screen on the other side of the room )

Well, Vita has that gorgeous OLED though.....in that sense everything would look better on a Vita..... That's one thing I miss about it. 20fps-at-best was frustrating though in most games .

NEStalgia

GrailUK

So 2019...
Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Daemon X Machina
Metroid Prime 4
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
Yoshi's Crafted World
Town
Pokémon Next Gen
Luigi's Mansion 3
Bayonetta 3 (?)

Their output is amazing!

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

@GrailUK
Their output has been amazing since launch.

When you can get:

Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Hyrule Warriors
LABO
DKC Tropical Freeze
Mario Tennis Aces
Octopath Traveler
Mario Party
Pokémon
Smash Bros

In a single year from one company and people complain... that just speaks incredible volumes on how fantastic the output has been since launch. And this year also saw Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, South Park, Victor Vran, Crash, Wolfenstein 2, YS VIII, 19 different Mega Man games, Street Fighter Collection, Okami, Shining Resonance, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, Dragonball Fighter Z, Blazblue Crosstag Battle, SNK Heroines, De Blob 1 and 2, Battle Chasers Nightwar, Payday 2, This Is The Police 2, Banner Saga Trilogy, Fortnite, Paladins, Warframe, Arena of Valor, Diablo 3, Pillars of Eternity 2, God Wars, Attack On Titan 2, Atelier Lydia and Suelle, Little Nightmares, Taiko Drum Master, One Piece Pirate Warriors, Naruto Trilogy, Team Sonic Racing, SNK Collection, Starlink, The World Ends With You, Ark Survival Evolved, My Hero One's Justice, GRIP, Undertale, Disgaea 1, Hyper Light Drifter, Limbo, Inside, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Overcooked 2, Bastion, Final Fantasy XV Pocket HD, World of Final Fantasy Maxima, Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle, Atari Collections 1-3, Civilization VI, The Messenger, Lumines Remastered, Flinthook, Celeste, Ikaruga, Shantae Half Genie Hero and Pirate's Curse, Salt n Sanctuary, Bloodstained Curse of the Moon, Lost Sphear, Romancing SaGa 2, Dragon Quest Builders, Runner 3...

I mean gosh dang. I know all consoles get a lot of games but the Switch has been catching up so fast that the density of game releases is just astounding. But to be perfectly honest, it's just so much more exciting seeing Switch get all these great games because it's the first ever hybrid console. A great game is exciting regardless of which platform it releases on, but when you have the added value of that game releasing on a system which can serve as both a console version and handheld version and tabletop portable console version all in one, it's just hype inducing from your head to your toes.

Edited on by JaxonH

link3710

IceClimbers wrote:

So a preliminary guesstimate at the "big" game lineup for 2019:

January - NSMBU Deluxe, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
February -
March - Yoshi's Crafted World
April -
May - Fire Emblem Three Houses
June -
July - Town
August - Daemon X Machina
September -
October - Luigi's Mansion 3
November - Pokemon Gen 8
December - Animal Crossing

I see a couple spots for more Wii U ports between the empty months and doubling up with Town. Maybe W101 in Feb, TMS in April, and Wind Waker HD in June? Fully expecting those three to hit before the end of next summer at least.

Toss in a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, a Pikmin 4, and whatever Retro is working on and 2019 is rounded out VERY well imo.

I think we'll see Daemon X Machina and Fire Emblem earlier rather than later, they did say E3 was solely for games coming out in the next 6-9 months after all. September will probably be just a major DLC of some sort, June will probably get a Wii U title, and we're guaranteed to get at least one unannounced new title over the course of the year. I'm betting on a 2D Zelda at the moment, just based on timing.

link3710

OorWullie

I just read Wolfenstein 3 is confirmed to be in development. Going by recent Bethesda comments, Doom Eternal coming to Switch and Wolfenstein 2 being already on it, I guess we can expect 3 to come to Switch as well.

I'm actually surprised they're even making it. I'm pretty sure 2 didn't sell too well and these kind of games won't be cheap to make.

I've watched that Yoshi trailer a few times now. It looks absolutely glorious! I think it's for sure going to take the mantle of 'Nicest looking Switch game'. That Skeletsaur (just made that up) chasing Yoshi at the end looks incredible. Could this be the Yoshi that finally topples Island? Wooly World was good but I don't think it's one of the greats and I have no desire to play through it again.Island though is a masterpiece and in my opinion, Miyamoto's finest work. That's not nostalgia speaking either as I first played the SNES version around 2012. Although I did play it on GBA back in the day,it was on my SNES playthrough where I decided that yep it's the best platformer ever made. Taking the crown from Super Mario World. Tropical Freeze is definitely one of the greats though!

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

bluemage1989

@OorWullie have to agree Yoshi is looking amazing i was semi hyped because I enjoyed Woolly World, not one of the greats like you say, but excellent all the same but now after the direct I am really excited. Can't wait to try it out. Regarding your greatest platformer I have seen many a debate rage about whether Island or World is the better and honestly I couldn't decide between the two and also SMB3 (All Stars version) what for you think gives Island the edge over World??

bluemage1989

bluemage1989

@JaxonH I have to hand it to you pal your enthusiasm for the Switch and its library is infectious and the fact you can maintain that and lift everyones spirits in the face of a lot of Nintendoomed comments at times is pretty impressive. I think you'd make for an excellent salesman!!

bluemage1989

IceClimbers

@link3710 I still think we'll see Wind Waker HD sometime next year. Would love it if they bundled it with Twilight Princess HD, but we all know they aren't gonna do that when they can get away with selling them individually for $60 each lol

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

link3710

@IceClimbers That's probably a good call. WW HD had such love put into restoring it, it could easily come back. TP really needs some more work IMO if they bring that back again...

link3710

OorWullie

@bluemage1989 I'll try to keep this short but it won't be easy.

I'm an enormous fan of Super Mario World. I think it's basically a perfect platformer. It has a timeless look, an incredible soundtrack, perfect controls, and a lengthy challenging adventure with tons of secrets.There's nothing bad can be said about it really. Yoshi's Island however takes what's good about SMW and kicks it up a notch. More creativity, more secrets, more variety and with Yoshi's extra moves more possibilities.The level design is incredible,that's something that really stood out to me when playing. Then on top of all that those graphics, it looks incredible. To me it's the pinnacle of 16bit era graphics. The soundtrack is not too shabby either, not quite SMW level of brilliance but not far off. If there is one criticism you could aim at it, it would be Baby Mario's crying. I actually don't mind it though. The wailing kind of makes you panic trying to get him back which adds to the experience and challenge.

I think when creating Yoshi's Island, using all his experience of the previous years creating Mario & Zelda etc.. and knowing we were moving into a 3D era, Miyamoto set out to make it his best game yet, his Magnus Opus.

I think of it like The Beatles going out with Abbey Road. The decade was coming to an end and the band knew it was over for them but knowing they were at the peak of their powers, they got together in the studio,put their troubles aside and went on to create a masterpiece.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

OorWullie

I'm not seeing any Bayonetta 3 in these 2019 prediction lists? I definitely feel it will come next year and sooner than we think. I feel Metroid Prime 4 is also coming next year as 2020 will be the year of Mario and Zelda again.I can't imagine MP4 releasing in the same year as those 2.

I think next year's line up goes something like this

January - SMBU Deluxe
February - Metroid Prime Trilogy
March - Bayonetta 3
April - Yoshi's Crafted World
May - Daemon X Machina
June - Fire Emblem: Three Houses / SNES games added to Online service.
July or August - Animal Crossing
September - Wind Waker HD
October - Luigi's Mansion 3
November - Pokémon
December - Metroid Prime 4

Just looking at it, that's some line up eh! Add in Doom Eternal then it's even better.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

BenGrimm

If those line ups turn out to be true I’m gonna need to get a second job!

BenGrimm

gcunit

... and then quit them both.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic