Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 32,261 to 32,280 of 69,963

Therad

GrailUK wrote:

I think a very important distinction between console and pc gaming is the culture surrounding it. A console lives in a living room, under a TV. You tend to play it on the couch and it has a much more social connotation to it. PC gaming you play in the corner of a dark room, face up to a monitor (or two), on a hard table and a chair while you get myopia and need glasses. (Ok, I am painting with a very large brush but I fear this is the general accepted perception from most folk you would ask on a street!) And so, you can convince folk all you want that it's the best version of a game, but unless they are obsessed with video games, PC gaming is just unappealing to them.
Xbox isn't reduntant for Microsoft, because it lets them target a different audience for their live services.

This is the reason I don't think VR is a good fit for consoles.

But I also think Xbox is seen as redundant in PC circles. PC gamers have overall been more positive to switch because it actually adds value.

Therad

Anti-Matter

Octane wrote:

It's a glass is half full/empty thing. Either you look at it from a point of view where every game is a selling point for a console, and that especially applies to someone who doesn't own a console/PC at all and is looking to buy one. Or you're mainly looking at exclusives, and that's more true for people who own all three consoles and have a good gaming PC. In the latter case I can see why Xbox One is kinda redundant. It's a personal thing, it depends on what you own and what you're looking for.

Also, it depends on who is the gamer.
If the gamer is like me, Nintendo will always be the one they choose.
PC, PS4, Xbox, Mobile will be Never on the radar.
Some gamers are looking what games fit with their criteria, not by what most peoples like.

Anti-Matter

FaeKnight

One reason I like consoles more then PC gaming (although I do both) is that there's no guesswork on if your console can run a game. If the game is released for that console, it can run. With a PC you have to look at system requirements and know where your graphics card falls in the "minimum" and "recommended range. You may have to buy a better graphics card, more RAM, and so forth. And you keep having to do so as new games come out. With a console none of is a concern. You only have to know if you want to play that game or not. Okay, sure a high end PC will frequently have far superior graphics to a console. But the console version you know will run without any upgrading of the console or fiddling with settings.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Therad

@subpopz att least Asus had steam pre installed on their gaming rigs six years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the others have as well.

Therad

Therad

@subpopz strange, my previous gaming computer was a rog and it had it pre-installed.

Therad

GrailUK

@Therad Maybe it was done by the retailer?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

The line between PC and consoles has become more blurred, but its definitely still there.

I have my PC hooked up to my TV along with my consoles, and I deal with all kinds of issues not present on consoles. Certain games not running right (Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood at 10fps, despite running New Colossus perfectly), image issues where you have to alt+tab out then click on the taskbar icon and suddenly the image issue is magically resolved, black screens on boot, some games needing windowed mode while others do full screen, some games having full controller support, others partial, others none at all to the point Steam has to auto map, but all the button prompts show keys still in game, constant updates for EVERYTHING (a dozen games need updating every time I start STEAM, even using it several times a week, plus STEAM needs updating, and Windows needs updating, etc etc).

Its just a hassle. When it works it works, and once you get a game playing its fine, but its just easier to boot the X1X and fire up a game you wanna play.

Now, I do use PC for the GPD Win 2, and it still has alot of those issues (although not the 4K incompatibilities since its a 720p screen) but that tradeoff is fine because you're getting the benefits of PC gaming on a handheld, including GameCube and Wii games running native 720p.

Still, if a game is on Switch and Win 2, I go with Switch every time. Just way more convenient. More versatile. More control and playstyle options. But it has merit because so many games on handheld that aren't on Switch. With PC on TV though, most games are on X1 or PS4. The emulators arent but, Id rather play Dolphin on handheld anyways.

I think PC can work as a console, but imo its better suited to a desk, and be powerful enough you never have to worry about any game running max settings. If you have all that, and game with keyboard and mouse where you never have to worry about controller incompatibilities, I can see it being more appealing. But the natural disadvantages start to pile up when its a mid tier PC hooked up to a 4KTV

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

gcunit

Ok, so... the Switch...

Anyone think we're about due for Nintendo to make a building/sandbox game? I hope they do it with the Animal Crossing IP, because I can't get into the standard AC style, but I like 3D sandbox.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

FragRed

@gcunit I think the time has long past for Nintendo to consider doing such a game. There has been so many games come and go in that genre since Minecraft that if Nintendo were going to do such a game it would have happened by now. Didn't they say they once had an idea similar to Minecraft a few years prior to that game coming out?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

gcunit

@FragRed Disagree. Minecraft is mega popular, sure, and it would be daft to say it could ever be topped, but that doesn't mean there's not room for others, and with AC having an established character base and fan base, if they could execute the sandbox aspect well then the game would be popular, I'm sure.

It was Miyamoto who said he'd once considered such a style of game, but couldn't figure out how to make it fun. That was who knows how long ago. Time has passed, and Nintendo has other creative bods besides Miyamoto anyway, even if he still wouldn't know what to do with it.

I just think that's the direction to take console AC. Otherwise I don't see that IP sustaining people's interest much longer.

Edited on by gcunit

Octane

@gcunit What do you want them to do with AC? Like a Minecraft in Animal Crossing..?

Octane

Octane

@ReaderRagfish Because Square Enix is as lazy as a sloth when it comes to publishing games for the Switch

Octane

KryptoniteKrunch

I think Mario Maker 2(which would incorporate 3D levels, assets etc.) would be a better bet for a building game.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

gcunit

Untitled

They can totally keep the New Leaf style as is and knock out an HD version if that's what you're after, but I want to see a Nintendo sandbox game, and it just seems to fit well with AC IP.

GrailUK

@Tsurii Shame I can't give you a +1

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Grumblevolcano

After the Amiibo Festival mess, Animal Crossing Switch needs to be a traditional Animal Crossing game. Maybe a sandbox style game in the future as a spinoff like how Dragon Quest Builders is a Dragon Quest spinoff but absolutely not before a traditional Animal Crossing, that's just asking to be a repeat of the Amiibo Festival/Federation Force mess.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

Look, I'm a miserable person, and after Nintenso ruined my Zelda, I want all the other Nintendo fans to feel the same. So an open world sandbox Animal Crossing? Bring it on!

Octane

DarkRula

That's... what Animal Crossing already is?
If you really want to get technical about what Minecraft is, it'd be a survival-craft game with a creative mode. Who wants a survival game within the Animal Crossing world, and how would that fit [short of Tom Nook robbing you blind every time you so much as get a bell]?

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Alantor28

I want to have a Xenoblade Chronicles X Switch port. The Wii U version has some lacking features like more Skells and the level cap stuck at 60. I hope the Switch port gets announced soon so they can have some extra features the Wii U version lacked. I like the Wii U version, but I think an enhanced Switch port of the game will make things better for it like extra story and more.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic