Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 31,641 to 31,660 of 69,991

-Green-

I would buy a new one if it has a better WiFi connection than the current one and if it somehow didn’t only have the charge area on the bottom. Those are big enough gripes that I would buy a new one for, since they currently ruin my enjoyment of the Switch a lot of the time.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Qun_Mang

This is getting big on the gaming news commentator channels now- Dreamcast Guy, RTG85, Nintendo Prime... Some believe the rumor (at least in part), others are extremely skeptical like most of us commenting here. I expect this will be on the front page within the next several hours.

Edit: Or not. Guess they don't want to touch this rumor and I don't blame them.

Edited on by Qun_Mang

Qun_Mang

Therad

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

What this rumour assumes is that Nintendo is dumb enough to, 2 years in, put out a VERY expensive if those specs are true device and fracture their userbase leaving a potential 20m+ behind and allow developers to ignore said userbase entirely in favour of the more expensive model?

And on top of that, assuming Nintendo is dumb enough to make this thing more of a headache to develop for by offering effectively FOUR configurations if a developer wants to maximise revenue? Why? What does this achieve?

And you just know developers will skimp out on the lower end Switch port if this is true.

I would assume it would be a stationary in that case. I would also assume Nintendo wouldn't want to split the user base and would force third-parties to support both.

Do we have any proof that developers are developing for two configurations of the switch as is? I don't think that is necessary at all since the dock doesn't have any processing capabilities. It seems more like their nifty dynamic scaling can sort out any difference.

Therad

FragRed

@Qun_Mang There is no way Nintendo would ever do something like that so soon. And to be honest, what is being described here isn't a typical Nintendo revision or anything but essentially a brand new console that would cost up to double the amount of the current Switch to buy/produce. There would be such a backlash if this were to actually happen.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Therad

I don't think they would suddenly release a power console out of the blue. If anything, I think it is more likely they release a cheaper handheld console to grab the vital kids demographic.

With their output of 1st party games this year on both switch and 3ds, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new handheld next year.

Therad

Farmboy74

I belive will release an upgrade Switch console eventually, but to me 2019 is way to soon. Even Microsoft and Sony didn’t split the user base with PS4 Pro and Xbox 1X.

To my mind if a mid gen upgraded Switch appears, I don’t think Nintendo cannot afford to split the user base and leave the original Switch owners behind. It would seem like commercial suicide.

Farmboy74

FragRed

@Farmboy74 I think Nintendo did release exclusives in the past with the mid generational upgrade to the DS and one or two with the New 3DS if I am not mistaken, so it's not out of the question they would do this again. But it won't be as soon as 2019 and certainly not to the high end upgrade the rumour predicts if/when it does finally come.

As long as the Switch continues to sell well, there is no reason to release any new versions.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Farmboy74

@Fragred Your right with Nintendo releasing exclusive software for DSI and New 3DS, but I don’t think there were a lot of exclusive games for both systems. Off the top of my head the new 3DS had Xenoblade Chronicles and SNES virtual console. I can’t even remember what the DSI had!

The rumours are based on more powerful hardware to supposedly get more third party software on the Switch. Thinking about things I can’t see this situation happening as traditionally third party games seem to struggle on Nintendo platforms due to they release a lot latter than other platforms or there is not much of an audience for them.

So splitting the user base from a third party standpoint doesn’t make no sense either!

Like you say as long Switch continues to sell well I can’t see a new Switch model being released..

Farmboy74

FragRed

@Farmboy74 Indeed, you are correct about the way third parties tend to sell. I would also add that if this new model were real, then I would imagine Nintendo would have just gone and released it in the first place as the Switch, unless prices for the tech have dropped that much within 2 years that production of it is that much cheaper and easier to do, which I doubt. Also this rumour sounds more like something that would be it's own system entirely like a true successor and not a mere upgrade.

skywake

Therad wrote:

I don't think they would suddenly release a power console out of the blue. If anything, I think it is more likely they release a cheaper handheld console to grab the vital kids demographic.

I tend to agree. With that said, like most baseless rumours, there's nothing much to immediately discredit the idea. Double the RAM and 128GB of internal storage? It's not that crazy at all. Neither is a higher spec GPU/CPU which allows some games to run at a higher resolution. Some of the simpler games at 4K? Sure, why not. It'd be unexpected and the timing is a bit off but I don't think any of it can be ruled out immediately.

The only thing that makes me highly doubt it is the comment about "Switch Pro" exclusives. Theoretically? Well sure. But even so I doubt it'd be much of a thing commercially. There'll just be far to big of an audience for the "non-pro" Switch for a developer not to push for their game to work on both.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

Apparently there's Nindies news in a couple of hours, there's an article on this site about it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

There is so much to think about with the idea of an upgrade or revision. Any upgrade would be in danger of being far too specific and distancing itself from the holistic hybrid nature of the concept. E.g.

If Nintendo release a 4K unit, imagine the impact in Japan! Negligible. Immediately appealing to the home console market instead of both hand held and home (Pretty much the Switch ethos).

A Switch mini, (Christ I get cramp thinking about it!) losing it's modular flexibility and appealing solely to the hand held audience.

If they are going to wholesale improve the Switch on so many fronts spec wise, then wouldn't they be better served offering a successor with backwards compatibility further down the line than a revision. Mr Iwata did mention Nintendo are starting from scratch with the Switch, so I'm sure they have designed it with a long term goal.

*Disclaimer - I'm always wrong.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Magician

I can believe rumors of an upgraded Switch, increasing the RAM from 4GB to 8GB.

But it would be for more developer flexibility, not for 4k gaming.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

1UP_MARIO

I believe we will have another switch but in late 2021/2022

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Mountain_Man

Qun_Mang wrote:

@Knuckles-Fajita Oh, I agree- way too soon for a hardware refresh.

If it was Nintendo's goal to stop current Switch sales cold then they would go ahead and announce a new model. When you consider that it's their goal to ship around 40-million Switch units by March 2019, the chances of them even hinting at a new model in the near future are slim to none, and as the saying goes, Slim is out of town.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

EvilLucario wrote:

@Qun_Mang Isn't Marcus Sellars proven to be a load of nonsense? When it comes to Nintendo, leaks tend to be more often than not fake.

He seems like one of those guys who will make a bunch of random guesses, and if one just happens to be right then he will crow about how he "predicted" it and try to use that to bolster his credibility in the future.

The Mountain Man

Ralizah

Most of these so-called "leakers" are attention whores. They're best ignored.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

redd214

@Mountain_Man yeah he is definitely one of those that post very vague things that will most likely come true. But also he has been just flat out wrong on so many occasions I can't think of why people still follow him

redd214

Mountain_Man

GrailUK wrote:

There is so much to think about with the idea of an upgrade or revision. Any upgrade would be in danger of being far too specific and distancing itself from the holistic hybrid nature of the concept. E.g.

If Nintendo release a 4K unit, imagine the impact in Japan! Negligible. Immediately appealing to the home console market instead of both hand held and home (Pretty much the Switch ethos).

A Switch mini, (Christ I get cramp thinking about it!) losing it's modular flexibility and appealing solely to the hand held audience.

If they are going to wholesale improve the Switch on so many fronts spec wise, then wouldn't they be better served offering a successor with backwards compatibility further down the line than a revision. Mr Iwata did mention Nintendo are starting from scratch with the Switch, so I'm sure they have designed it with a long term goal.

*Disclaimer - I'm always wrong.

The only new system I can see Nintendo releasing at this point would be a Game Boy successor with games that are forwards compatible with the Switch. So you would end up with two libraries: Switch exclusives, and games that could be played on either the Game Boy successor or the Switch.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Grumblevolcano

@Mountain_Man The only one I see is a 3DS successor. 480p dual screen handheld that has DS and 3DS backwards compatibility. Library is split between Switch and the 3DS successor like how there's still a split between Switch and 3DS now.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic