Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 31,621 to 31,640 of 45,937

EvilLucario

Well at least AC is guaranteed to come anyways, because AC is wildly popular unlike Metroid and Xenoblade.

And before you bring up the Wii U, that didn't even get its own Zelda. That speaks more about the Wii U than AC itself.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Harmonie

@EvilLucario Huh? Am I misreading what you said? Breath of the Wild was most definitely Wii U's Zelda. It ended up getting delayed and released on the Switch at the same time so the Switch could have a great launch (except for those of us who already owned a Wii U. lol), but it was developed for the Wii U. Much like Twilight Princess was a GCN game that ended up releasing on the Wii as well.

I'd wager that toward the end of its lifespan (like Skyward Sword on the Wii), the Switch will get its own exclusive 3D Zelda.

I understood why no Animal Crossing ever came to the Wii U. I saw how much 'effort' was put into City Folk on the Wii. Any AC within the timeframe of the Wii U's lifespan it had would have likely ended up being similar and rushed.

But I do hope that Nintendo realizes that people are going to expect a lot out of the Switch's Animal Crossing.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

DarthNocturnal

@Harmonie

Where was it lacking in effort? Serious question. I own CF, but I didn't get around to playing it much (though it wasn't because I wasn't liking it).

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

EvilLucario

@Harmonie That is true, but I wager history is going to remember BotW as the Switch launch game that kicked off the system instead of the Wii U's swan song. That's really what I mean by "its own Zelda"; because BotW was multiplatform between the Wii U and Switch, the Wii U got snubbed its own exclusive Zelda.

But anyways, I do expect a mainline AC to come to the Switch sooner rather than later. Nintendo would be foolish not to, considering AC sells extremely well and mixing that with the Switch is pretty much guaranteed profit.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Harmonie

@DarthNocturnal Oh, it's been a long time since I really thought on that one. City Folk just didn't have much going for it as opposed to previous entries. It did not really do anything revolutionary. I'd say it was Wild World with shiny graphics and the return of holidays, but actually, it's worse than Wild World in many areas. The big ones I can think of being the animal villagers which only had one phase conversations, meaning you'd get the same thing repeated to you over and over and over again. They also removed the animal pictures from Wild World. Maximum house size was taken back down to GCN level (People always loved to argue that this was made up for with the return to four houses like in the GCN version, but I always knew that was nonsense, and sure enough, New Leaf releases where everyone gets their own house and all of them can be built up to mansion sizes, like it should be) Motion controls were unnecessarily forced in so many areas, it made pattern-making undoable for me. The city - the game's biggest 'feature', was pretty much just an amalgamation of special visitors from past games. Special visitors visiting your town on certain days was no longer a thing anymore, since they were now always there with only a small number of exceptions. So basically this feature they built the whole advertising of the game around ended up taking away from the game.

It's easy for people to forget these blunders after how amazing New Leaf turned out being, but I will not forget, and thus will always be skeptical at new Animal Crossing games. I really hope they're on their top game for the Switch, like New Leaf.

@EvilLucario I understand, and it's true that at the end of the day, the Wii U doesn't have its own exclusive Zelda. But I will still credit BoTW to the Wii U before I will the Switch.

Harmonie

link3710

@Harmonie That's why remakes of Days and Re:Coded would pretty much be necessary as selling points. Not saying that I think it'd happen, just that it's possible.

@DarthNocturnal To add onto what Harmonie said, City Folk was also missing the island from the GCN version, the soccer ball (has that ever come back?). Also, they added an auction house which... let's just say the flea market was a huge improvement over that in pretty much every way. Suffice to say, it's the only Animal Crossing game I gave up on after a week or two.

link3710

rallydefault

@Harmonie
You're technically correct, but I think you'll be in the minority when considering BotW a Wii U game before a Switch game.

What were the final sales comparisons? I think it was like 7 to 1 in favor of Switch. Doesn't mean it's a Switch game, just that's where the majority of opinion will be.

rallydefault

JaxonH

Ya, Zelda BotW is far more a Switch game, if you were going to choose sides.

Irrespective of their original intentions, intentions don't matter. What matters is how things really played out. And how things really played out is Breath of the Wild released on Switch the same day, was promoted for Switch instead of Wii U, vastly outsold the Wii U version, was the superior version to buy, was the only handheld version of the game released, and will forever be associated with the Nintendo Switch. Nary a person will think of "Nintendo Wii U" when they hear Zelda Breath of the Wild mentioned. And for good reason.

Fact is, it's equally a game for both systems. But if it's going to be associated with a single platform, it's gonna be Switch.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest XI S, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Astral Chain

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

RR529

Got Captain Toad in the mail today, and will start it up the next time I get some TV time.

Also downloaded Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and started it up tonight. Cleared the first three levels (replayed level 2 to nab a power up I missed the first time through), and it's been a pretty fun time so far.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

shadow-wolf

@Harmonie @rallydefault @JaxonH I agree with all of you — Nintendo did an excellent job of promoting Breath of the Wild as a Switch game, to the point that many gamers probably thought it was only on the Switch. And history will likely remember it as the game that helped launch the Switch. But technically speaking, it very much is a Wii U game through and through — I would say it was a Wii U game ported to Switch (I wouldn't call it multiplatform), as it was being developed for the Wii U, Nintendo decided it would also arrive on the Switch, and then Nintendo decided to be released only when both versions were ready. A multiplatform release would have involved development for both systems at the same time, which was certainly not the case.

TLDR; History will likely remember Breath of the Wild as the game that allowed the Switch to shine, but you cannot deny its Wii U origins and core. In a way that represents the Switch itself; I don't think there has ever been a console that has relied so greatly on the games and the concept of its predecessor as the Switch does.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

JaxonH

@shadow-wolf
Not just it's one predecessor. All its predecessors. Every single system to date has had something to contribute to the ideas and success of the Switch. Wii U in particular though, yes. Which at least Wii U's good ideas get to shine through without the bad.

With BotW, it definitely had origins as a Wii U game, but I believe they started Switch development many years before it released. It wasn't just ported to Switch, it was co-developed for Switch, likely as lead platform too. By the time the game actually came out it was as much of a Switch game as it was Wii U. It may have originally been intended for that system but aside from the Sheika tablet, all remnants or traces of those origins were gone by the time it hit store shelves. And even the dual screen functionality of that tablet had long been forgotten.

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest XI S, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Astral Chain

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Octane

I'm still bummed they removed all the extra features from the Wii U version... ''Playing a game with the Wii U GamePad is like driving and texting at the same time''. Sigh...

Octane

Toy_Link

The file size for SNK Heroines is 11.3 GB.

Where am I going! Nowhere, unless if I say otherwise!

NEStalgia

@Harmonie BotW is a WiiU Zelda as much as Twilight Princess is a GameCube Zelda. Most people think of TP as a Wii launch title. Most will think of BotW as a Switch launch title. GameCube had Wind Waker though. WiiU had......Wind Waker......and Twilight Princess...... Even 3DS has a better exclusive Zelda than WiiU (IMO, the very best Zelda game ever.....but that's me )

Poor WiiU BotW is a game that will never be seen. There's a reason it was delayed right when it was to release, after they showed it, and stripped out everything WiiU about it while retooling it as a Switch game. They must have had to scrap and alter large parts of the game. They'll then pretend the output was what was intended from the start. And since the output is so good, nobody will really mind.

@EvilLucario @rallydefault @Harmonie Funny, I loaded this thread specifically to bring up KH, and here you guys are already talking about it. I do wonder what the odds are of a KH collection coming to Switch, given this article from a year ago:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/16/kingdom-hearts-3-direc...

It's definitely a possibility, then, and apparently not bound by a Sony contract. The question, though is, will it actually happen? Switch sounds more likely than an XBox collection from these comments. But OTOH does it matter much when all these big games are always announced a year, or years after they've already been for sale elsewhere? It's nice to have but I've got to wonder how much sense it makes.

I'd love to play it on Switch, it's perfect. But the PS4 Complete Edition is still so tempting (even if I'd rather play 3 on X1.)

NEStalgia

kkslider5552000

JaxonH wrote:

Irrespective of their original intentions, intentions don't matter. What matters is how things really played out. And how things really played out is Breath of the Wild released on Switch the same day, was promoted for Switch instead of Wii U, vastly outsold the Wii U version, was the superior version to buy, was the only handheld version of the game released, and will forever be associated with the Nintendo Switch.

I mean, you're not wrong. But by this logic, what does that make Earthbound? It was never less popular or relevant than during the actual, original SNES release.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Harmonie

@NEStalgia I mean, I do think of Twilight Princess as a GCN title before a Wii title. You'll see that if I'm ever asked to list my favorite games from every system, I will always put Twilight Princess in the GCN list and not the Wii list (which is rather unfortunate for the Wii, as it has...not much else. lol). Like BoTW and the Wii U, I played TP on the system it was originally advertised and made for, the GCN. Twilight Princess will always be a GCN game to me, because it was always advertised as one, but then ended up released on the Wii as well.

BoTW was Wii U's Zelda, but then the Wii U wasn't successful enough to keep being made so it got pushed to sell the Switch. I will never accept it as a Switch game before a Wii U game. I'm sure it's a blast to play on the Switch, and I hope to someday double dip (but only when it becomes a Selects title), but it is a Wii U game for me plain and simple.

Harmonie

Knuckles-Fajita

I mean, factually under the laws of physical matter, it is a Switch game too.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia I don't know about any contracts since I don't care about the behind the scenes, but with KH3 hitting Xbox I was surprised the collections weren't hitting Xbox as well. Or PC, for that matter!

Honestly I just want third-parties to just release their crap on PC as a priority if they're going to be multiplatform anyway. Staggered releases like Monster Hunter World annoys me a bunch (more than Switch staggered releases where at least I can sort of see why, due to the Switch needing to prove itself so now third-parties are scrambling to make games for it), and games Spyro and KH3 not getting PC versions (as far as I'm aware) really ticks me off.

NEStalgia

@Harmonie The Wii version of TP was, honestly, unplayable to me. The blur filter of the Wii, and the waggle controls infuriated me. I never finished the game until the WiiU version (GCN version was impossible to find after launch.)

But few owned GCNs or WiiU's and many own/ed Wii/Switch, so a swansong game for each means little compared to a launch title for a very popular system. The public will surely remember these games as Wii/Switch.

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

I liked aiming the clawshot and arrows with the pointer... that was kinda neat.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic