Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 31,601 to 31,620 of 40,075

Knuckles-Fajita

@Harmonie For future reference, I'm British.

Just assume every positive adjective I use is sarcasm.

Lovely weather.

Fantastic game.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@Knuckles-Fajita @Harmonie and in Japan the idea of sarcasm exists only in text books as a concept slightly less comprehensible then quantum physics. No wonder the uk hated Nintendo

Then again i was raised in British humor so unlike most Americans i get it. And echo it.

Oddly i also get Japanese humor..

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

I think they'd sooner port Mario Maker (or make a sequel) then make another new “New“ game. 3D Mario is on the upswing thanks to Odyssey. Now they can do the same to 2D. And Paper. And... well, too late for Tennis for now, I guess, but you get the idea.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Harmonie

@DarthNocturnal I thought Mario Tennis Aces was supposed to be a pretty good Mario Tennis game? Did something go wrong?

I'm not too optimistic about Paper Mario. I so wish they could turn around the series back to how it was on the N64 and GCN, but from what I last heard, they chose Mario & Luigi to be the Mario RPG series and decided to do whatever they wanted with Paper Mario. A bit odd because Mario & Luigi has been changing, too.

You see, this kind of stuff is why when I see Pokemon LGP/E, I get worried. When Nintendo has previously tried to split up a series into something more streamlined and something more 'core' (see the 3D Mario series before Odyssey), something gets lost in translation, and the one that's supposed to be the 'core' or like the originals is no longer recognizably like the originals. I hope I'm wrong, but I am skeptical.

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal I think the ordering of Mario platformers will be:
2018 - NSMBU + NSLU (both games in 1 package), Odyssey DLC
2019 - 3D World, Mario Maker 2
2020 or 2021 - Odyssey 2

Announcing and releasing NSMBU + NSLU before announcing a Mario Maker port or sequel would guarantee the most sales from NSMBU + NSLU because Mario Maker essentially negates the need for 2D Mario games.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarthNocturnal

@Harmonie

I've heard mixed reports on Aces. It's questionable enough that I'm putting it on indefinite hold. Besides, I have other games either out or coming soon (Mega Man Collections, Octopath, MH GU, XB1 version of No Man's Sky, etc).

Agreed on the Paper and “& Luigi“ series decline in quality. I actually feel like M&L was on a slow decline ever since the 2nd game. They weren't bad, but... I think they got carried away with the “Impromptu Mario Party“ action commands.

What irks me is... Paper Mario was already streamlined. It was easy to learn, while still having some depth. So why they felt they had to strip Sticker Star of anything that made it too much like TYD, is beyond me.

And they had a second option; go full Super Paper Mario. Action/ platformer with a few RPG elements. Instead we got battles that only served to get in the way. How's about I just jump and hammer the punks to death, and use stickers as puzzle elements?

Actually, I'd prefer it if they dropped the whole self-aware “lol we're made of paper“ thing. The most TYD did was have Mario transform via “curses“. Otherwise? A few minor visual gags, a nice “pop-up book“ look and feel... can we bring that back? The ignorance? Because that'd bring me some bliss, haha.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

ReaderRagfihs

I'd be surprised if Paper Mario ever returns to form (no pun intended). Unfortunately, it seems that the Mario and Luigi series has taken over in terms of traditional Mario RPGs. Not that those are bad, I just wish we could have both.

I was excited for Mario Tennis Aces, I loved the N64 and GBC games, and the trailer made it look like so much fun. But after trying the online demo a few times, I completely lost interest.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread
Wii/DS games online post shutdown

JaxonH

Mario Tennis Aces is exceptional.

There are valid niggling complaints but that's all they are- niggling complaints.

Oh, I can't hit a retry button and it takes me an extra 15 seconds to retry a stage in single player... yeah OK it can be aggravating, but we're talking about a 15 second aggravation here, not a catastrophic failure of the game itself.

Or oh, they don't show a model for this gem you get in this 3 second cut scene during the adventure mode. The game is obviously utter trash and all the fun I've been having playing it has suddenly eroded as a result.

Or oh, I can play single player, online, doubles on 2 switches locally, 1v1 on 2 Switches locally, 1v1 online with randoms or friends, doubles online with randoms, doubles online with friends. BUT WAIT. I can't pair up with a friend for doubles and take on randoms. Game is obviously garbage and doesn't deserve a purchase, in fact I'm returning my copy.

Or oh, it chooses stages randomly, and even though I can exclude whatever stages I want from the random selection process, so that it's only selecting stages I like to play on, because I can't specifically choose a stage the game is a complete failure and I don't know why anyone would give it more than a 5/10. Complete waste of money.

^^^
This sums up the Mario Tennis Aces complaints perfectly.

And I'm not saying the game is perfect- very few video games are. In fact, I don't even disagree with the niggling complaints... I really don't. I think those are valid criticisms. It's the extreme overboard reactions to those criticisms that are absolutely mind-numbing.

But gosh dang, the game stands out as incredible, and not only that, it's probably the best Mario tennis game ever made imo, and has way more content, way more modes and way better gameplay than the last Mario Tennis game, which itself was a fine game, just light on content. It brings RPG mechanics and leveling up stats, new mechanics which can optionally be turned off, a great single player mode which I'm having a blast with, boss battles, motion controls... I mean my goodness, does all of that count for nothing because you can't choose a specific court or you have to wait 15 seconds extra to retry a stage in single player?

So ya. That's my thoughts on the matter.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Trials Rising (masterpiece), Tales of Vesperia, NSMBU Deluxe
X1: DMC5
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/PSVR/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Ralizah

Just 100%'ed the Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2.

Is it weird that I found this to be way more satisfying than the single-player mode in the base game?

This is definitely the best DLC Nintendo has ever released. It's basically Splatoon's answer to Super Mario Galaxy 2, except this is WAY more atmospheric and isn't a full-price retail release.

While the game is still lacking a challenging final boss like DJ Octavio, the entire last segment of this DLC is absolutely spectacular!

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

I've mainly heard of balance concerns, and not everyone seems to enjoy the single player. Something about it being pure minigames or somesuch. If neither is true, then that's good.

That said, I'd be playing it single player anyway. So I might be better off waiting for a sale (ha, like that'd happen. Unless it grossly underperformed), or maybe until my wishlist is less... crowded.

EvilLucario

@DarthNocturnal There are some valid balance concerns, but overall it feels fine and there'll most likely be patches that curbs the imbalance.

As for the single-player, it's around the same level or higher than the GBC/GBA story modes, which were honestly just vanilla tennis matches with unneeded RPG mechanics. I do not understand the hype for those single-player modes honestly. Aces' single-player is short, but I had more fun with it than the GBC/GBA story modes, which were more boring in comparison but did have more game to it.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Pure minigames? That's a gross misrepresentation of the game.... wow.

Warioware is minigames. This is Tennis. You play matches of tennis, you play against bosses, you face challenges like returning 25 balls where the opponent can't return to you with only 3 strikes allowed, aiming challenges, practice court sessions... I mean, not sure what else they could possibly do for single player. They're pulling out all the stops. It's everything I can imagine single player could ever possibly entail.

I do think there are some difficulty spikes so, sure, maybe balancing is indeed an issue. But it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game and having a blast.

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Huh.... weird. My observations were picked up from comments in the two NLife articles that were about disappointed players (although I questioned why they needed articles about that in the first place. “Some gamers upset with game quality“. Slow news day?). So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I think other games still hold higher priority, but I guess I won't be as hesitant to pick it up now.

Now, back to fixing Paper Mario.

ReaderRagfihs

When I played the demo, I just couldn't get used to it no matter how many times I tried it. Movement felt a bit sluggish, and there were so many mechanics that I felt like the point was to overwhelm the opponent rather than outwit them. There is a mode to turn that stuff off, but that wasn't in the demo, so I don't know if the game still has much depth if you turned it off.

It seems that some people really like it though, so good for them. I'm honestly just happy that Camelot is still around.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread
Wii/DS games online post shutdown

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I saw those comments.

Something to note about fan sites and gamers on the internet is that:

1 Gamers absolutely love to complain about everything, and love to make everything they complain about seem as bad as they possibly can. You could always tell the rational people from the rest. Rational people would be like you, who is just trying to get a real, unbiased opinion on the game, or ReaderRagfish up above me who I genuinely believe when they say they didn't like the game, but they aren't trying to spin it to make it sound like a disaster or something super horrible and disappointing.

2 Popular consoles attract trolls and those who resent the success of the system, who prowl the comment sections and articles like a lion searching for their prey, just waiting for an excuse to say "aha! See? Absolutely right- I've been saying this from day one. This game is overhyped and I don't know why people thought it would be anything better than the last one". Just look at Octopath Traveller. On reddit you've got people nitpicking overarching story and basically condemning the game as garbage as a result, with remarks in the order of "yet again we had all these blind Nintendo fans mindlessly hyping yet another a worthless game". As if that one aspect determines a game's net worth. It just reeks of fanboyist spite to the point I can smell it through my iPad. People who are genuinely bothered when Switch gets a good game, and are just foaming at the mouth to find fault against each and every game to wholly discredit, and then insult any who dared be excited for what they have now demonstrably classified as "trash" based one one subjective aspect or negligible complaint.

Or look at the cracked system poll. You're telling me 25% of people who bought a Switch had it crack? Come on now. I know it can happen, and there's probably people here who have had it happened to them but... 1 in 4??? Gtfo, that's a classic example of just how many people will leverage anything negative to spin the situation as bad as possible and give as much credibility to the complaints as humanly possible, even if it means outright lying. Because fanboyism (particularly the hate side of the coin, not the love side- the love side of fanboyism is actually rather harmless, it's people irrationally feeling spiteful toward other consoles that accounts for 90% of the BS within the community) trumps rational logic, and emotional responses attacking the game's credibility will override any moral obligation to be truthful or fair minded, or eat humble pie and concede that the game is actually an asset to the Switch's ever-growing exclusive library.

3 Gamers, particularly those of younger ages, tend to jump on bandwagons, and if you pose a complaint as the header of an article, they will simply agree with whatever was posted, recklessly reinforcing that view with careless opinions. Basically, it's leading the readership. Like hey, isn't this a horrible game because XYZ? Yaaaaa! You're right, it is! Accusations against N-Life for giving the game an 8/10, completely ignoring the fact most other sites did as well. You might be able to accuse N-Life of giving a review score which misrepresents how good the game is (because clearly, if 3 people on twitter complain about a missing model, we must factually conclude the score was unjustified, right?), but how do you account for the aggregate of the other 40-50 review sites? You're telling me they're ALL wrong and ALL gave the game an unworthy score that is now "oh so clearly misguided?" Please. Maybe, just maybe, the game's aggregate score is on par with NintendoLife's score because...[wait for it...] that's how good the game actually is. Maybe, just maybe, the comment section pitchfork squad is the one with misguided opinions, not the 40+ review sites.

4 People who don't buy a game, either because they don't have the money or aren't interested, have no vested interest in protecting the integrity of the reputation of the game. It's nothing to them to make it seem like the game is trash, and the real reason they didn't buy it is because they were so much smarter than all the "idiots who fell for the hype". When in reality they never had any intention of buying the game, but now they're just pretending they were interested and simply chose not to buy it because it was bad. I don't know why people do this, but they do it all the time.

It's mob mentality combined with spite-fueled fanboyism and a general tendency of this generation of gamers to nitpick complaints and then over exaggerate them at that, be they legitimate or not. And on top of all this you've got NintendoLife spotlighting a handful of tweets as if it reflects the majority of consumers' attitude toward the game. I'm sure you could dig up three tweets of people praising the game left and right, but that doesn't fit with the narrative or leading the readership with controversy for clicks. That being said, it doesn't take much to get the people who fall into these four different camps whipped up into a frenzy, band wagging with pitch forks over a lie agreed upon.

That's why I have been spending less and less time in the actual article comment sections, and more and more time in the forums. Because all the rational and levelheaded and mature people.. are here with us in this thread.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Azooooz

After a year of using my Switch docked only, I have decided to take it outside, and boy do I love the portability feature. I love it to the point that I bought an Aukey USB-C 3.1 cable, an earpod, and RDS Nintendo Switch Deluxe travel case. Can't get enough of the switch.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal @JaxonH The solo campaign of Aces is really well crafted and intended, but what I found horrible and frustrating about it was that it was clearly designed where each match was kind a "puzzle game" where it wanted one solution to win, and you just had to trial and error until you find the gimmick they're looking for. It was obviously intended as just a tutorial for online, masked within a fun side game, but I find it sad that they didn't even try to obscure that it was a tutorial. Most of the mansion area and the ice boss were more frustrating than fun, and many of the "hit the ball so the AI can't hit it back" type matches depended on spamming one and only one type of shot endlessly, and you would fail until you figured out which shot it was weak to. But there was no real hint in the game as to this being the case. Like the one with Spike in the forest, just do long lobs all day and they never hit it for example. Hit almost any other shot and they magically return it no matter where they are like a bloodhound. So the campaign is really cool in some ways, but not a reason to buy the game. The gimmicks on the maps were really cool and unfortunately underutilized.

The online, to me, I feel like it's like Arms and Splatoon. Launch day was the base package. The rest of the game will be delivered in chunks all year (for free.) I could be wrong, but it has GaaS written all over it and that model's been working for them. Look for updates around Sept when NO launches. Personally the big, #1 mega problem of it is tournament is nothing but one stadium over and over. That's the game's main mode. And the game has tons of cool maps. And in the main mode you see only one of them. I was excited to get to play it with all the maps only to find you can't. I hope that is something they will fix by adding new modes, since it's such a senseless limitation of making tons of content and not letting you actually play it. The complaints aren't as bad as the ranting about it in the other threads, but it does have more significant, meaningful limitations right now than Jax's post suggest it does IMO. All that said, it's Tennis. A tournament in one stadium against other players is kind of what tennis is. Add tournaments with ALL the cool maps included, fix the (admittedly broken, clearly this is not a Sakurai game....) balance, and it's great. I'd love it with all the map variety in primary play.

@JaxonH As I read your #2, I keep picturing a certain movie goomba in my head.....not sure why.....

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I have to admit that as an S-rank SPlatoon 1 player who could have gone to S+ but never chose to....and who after that frustration was content with B- and leagues for Splatoon 2.....found myself prepared to try to crack my switch vent after playing some of Octo Expansion

I'll get the hang of it but that's some crazy hard platforming at parts I'm not used to in that game! So well made though. Running out of money to retry keeps it stressful though!

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic