Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 31,541 to 31,560 of 32,306

NEStalgia

@Ralizah "Steam" And that's why I don't consider indies 'games', I consider them hobby projects, unless they have actual publishers.

"Tropical freeze port" At least the game itself references WiiU right in the settings so it doesn't hide it's just a port But Funky mode was a cool addition, especially for seeing the game again without grinding through (as much) failure. Heck it's still challenging even with funky.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

Worlds are levels. They're little different diorama world levels. Doesn't matter what you call it.

I can't beat one stage in 7 minutes, much less 4 of them. If you could beat 4 stages in 7 minutes the entire game would take 2 hours to complete.

Just realized Wolfenstein 2 is one week away. Next week Friday, to be exact. And I can't wait. Mario Tennis Aces, Y's VIII and Wolfenstein 2 all back to back to back.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Ryu_Niiyama

One more month before Taiko. The wait...it burns me.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

NEStalgia wrote:

"Steam" And that's why I don't consider indies 'games', I consider them hobby projects, unless they have actual publishers.

So you're prepared to tell me that Undertale, which won several GOTY awards in 2015 and has sold millions of copies is somehow not a "game" because it didn't have a publisher?

The position you've adopted is self-defeating. Please don't lump all indies in with shovelware (which big publishers also put out, btw) and the low-effort garbage like asset flips and troll games that litter Steam's storefront.

NEStalgia wrote:

"Tropical freeze port" At least the game itself references WiiU right in the settings so it doesn't hide it's just a port But Funky mode was a cool addition, especially for seeing the game again without grinding through (as much) failure. Heck it's still challenging even with funky.

Not for me. The game was already manageable, and the somewhat challenging platforming feeds into the total experience of appreciating the great game design. Funky Mode does away with that and cheapens the experience overall.

That's not to say Funky Mode doesn't have a place in the game for young and/or unskilled players, but I think of like Odyssey's Assist Mode.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
hide it's just a port

What does that matter anyways? If you already know it's a port then they don't have to spell it out for you. And if you didn't already know, then how does suddenly knowing change your enjoyment of the game? It doesn't.

There's absolutely no reason or need to advertise the fact a game is ported. If someone wants to play the game, then they want to play the game. Seeing "originally on Wii U" on the menu isn't going to suddenly make someone say well shucks, not really interested in this anymore.

@Ralizah
Having already beaten Tropical Freeze on Wii U, I opted for Funky Mode this time. And I have to say I had an absolute blast playing as Funky Kong. It was noticeably easier and I do believe the game is best experienced in its original mode, but I also think it's a fantastic mode for people who have already played it as DK, in addition to the less skilled or younger gamers.

The time trials in particular can be extremely tough in Funky Mode. Because you have to learn to use his move set to take shortcuts not originally envisioned by the developers which means frame perfect jumps in many cases and obstacles that aren't designed to be overcome with natural momentum. I think the most skilled players will gravitate to Funky Mode time trials. It's an absolute blast to play, and a true challenge trying to find the best routes and shortcuts and ways to shave time off.

I'd also say that despite being considerably easier, it was an enjoyable luxury cruise down memory lane. I got to re-experience one of my favorite games of all time without the stress of of the original difficulty. I wouldn't compare it to Odyssey Assist mode in the slightest. Because that was mostly just mindless throwing and assisting another player. This still has difficulty- considerably less in comparison but even funky mode is still twice as hard as Mario odyssey. Even in funky mode I died quite a few times. I think it was a fantastic addition really, but most of all because it opens up the game to more people and I truly believe this game deserves to be played by as many people as possible.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Y'S VIII, Octopath Traveller, Shining Resonance Refrain, Captain Toad, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@Ralizah While it's definitely an assist mode, it's also the best one that Nintendo's managed to date in my opinion. It gives the perfect mix of making you powerful enough to get through almost anything that blocks you without taking away that sense of danger that motivates the game.

link3710

JaxonH

Oh my gosh.

Do those "Tilt R to Move Camera" messages ever go away in Captain Toad???

NOW I remember why I quit playing it the first time...

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Knuckles-Fajita

I do wonder how much of the Wii U functionality could be replicated with a button press on Switch.

and the ARMS - NL Inklings: Spring Into The Ring Tournament (July 21st)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Ralizah

@JaxonH They go away after the first few bunch of levels.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

OorWullie

I'll be picking up my copy of Mario Tennis Aces in just a few hours. I was going to buy it digitally but since I can get it physically for the equivalent of ÂŖ38 and a day early, it's a no brainer.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

1UP_MARIO

@OorWullie can I ask how

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

OorWullie

@1UP_MARIO I popped in to my local game shop to see if they had it in stock and if so would they sell me it.Rules aren't so strict in Thailand

They said it won't come in until this evening but I can go collect it then. The guy just phoned me an hour ago saying they have it already so I'm on my way to get it now.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

1UP_MARIO

@OorWullie lucky you. Also Thailand must be beautiful

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

toiletduck

So far I've received both my physical preorder releases (Kirby and TF) a day before launch date (Netherlands)

toiletduck

kobashi100

BlazeBlue cross tag for me over Mario tennis aces

kobashi100

OorWullie

@1UP_MARIO Cheers. Yep it's a beautiful country. I've lived here for nearly 9 years now.

Mario Tennis is superb! Just played Donkey Kong on a forest court with Piranha plants in the middle and it was great fun. Such a good looking game too.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

Grumblevolcano

Now even in trailers, Sony's anti-consumer position is being highlighted.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic