Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 31,521 to 31,540 of 69,981

Haruki_NLI

@EvilLucario @NEStalgia Correct. I have barely played XC2.

What does that tell you?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

EvilLucario

@Knuckles-Fajita That you've barely gave it a chance. That's like giving up on Xenoblade X before you first meet the Ganglion and/or unlock Skells/Overdrive or giving up on Hollow Knight before getting to somewhere like Fog Canyon or (insert random game here to certain random point).

From what I remember, you just dropped the game and had no desire to return, in the XC2 thread.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Good point.

@Knuckles-Fajita But what specifically didn't you like about it? If you barely played it can't be the story since you barely got into it to know. I doubt you have a particular concern about costuming of female characters

So, it's got to be gameplay (or graphics) related? Navigation sucks but it's equally bad as 1. Quests are better than XC1's MMO quests, but the presentation, delivery, instructions, everything about them is botched as can be to the point you need a guide to try to play them. The battle system is an upgrade from XC1's "break! topple! daze! repeat!" but not as elegant as X's. Sadly the game never properly tells you how to use the battle system in a meaningful way, so EvilLucario is my in-game tutorial narrator.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia See depending on your viewpoint, XCX's combat system may or may not feel the most elegant of the series. XCX is my favorite of the three, but the game tells you NOTHING and the manual doesn't help much. You have to figure out what Soul Voices do (the game does NOT tell you they are your primary healing source), figure out Overdrive, wonder what the hell a combo is, etc.

Your mileage may vary with XC1 and XC2 tutorials, but overall if you read them you'll do fine.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

darkfenrir

@NEStalgia As a girl, instead of the clothing I'd wish that there's more A to B-sized chests... Why is it all the super huge ones?!

Although more cool clothing should be cool.

darkfenrir

Ralizah

XC2 has my favorite combat system in the series. It's a lot of fun.

Having to rely on Soul Voices to heal almost ruins XCX's combat for me.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Therad

EvilLucario wrote:

@Knuckles-Fajita That you've barely gave it a chance. That's like giving up on Xenoblade X before you first meet the Ganglion and/or unlock Skells/Overdrive or giving up on Hollow Knight before getting to somewhere like Fog Canyon or (insert random game here to certain random point).

From what I remember, you just dropped the game and had no desire to return, in the XC2 thread.

Personally I think it is the job of the developers to make people hooked. You should never have to play large portions of a game just because the ending is cool.

And while we are at it, I don't like the presentation at all of xc2. Xcx seems much cooler.

Therad

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario Well, my complaints about XC overall aren't limited solely to 2 beyond the HM blades and rediculous questing layout. The other complaints, such as lack of instruction apply to the whole series. (I know you'll tell me they did much better in XC2, which may be true but that's like saying drinking month old milk isn't nearly as bad as drinking year old milk. That may be true, but both are terrible. )

For XCX I happen to have the LE hardcover guide which certainly made understanding the game easier. But I also consider that game traumatically flawed and hope a port would fix a lot of what ailed it. I'd hoped XC2 learned some lessons, but it made similar errors, less severely. Personally XC2 doesn't really present itself much more clearly than X and much as I gripe about modern Squeenix, they've really learned how to introduce game's systems to you in a way that neither overwhelms nor under-informs, from FF & Octopath through Deus Ex. Something Monolith really needs to learn.

@darkfenrir LOL yeah I could see that. Playing most of my time handheld I didn't really even notice the odd proportions....Pyra's that little dot in the corner of the screen except cutscenes. But yeah her proportions are, honestly, unsettling if you stop to look....there's nothing human about that....granted, she's not actually human, but still. It's as though the entire game takes place in Texas. I haven't really noticed many characters other than her as so exaggerated. Clothing best suited for the Oscars everywhere, but I haven't seen much exaggerated design. Then again I've probably only unlocked a fraction of rare blades.

@Ralizah XCX still had a pretty refined system with the switch of ranged/melee etc. Movement felt important where in XC/XC2 it really doesn't. But then the Skells happen and I'm too cautious to risk using them in battle.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Therad XC1 suffered from that greatly. The first many hours through the mine were boring as heck. It was like 40% through when the plot twists started rapid fire it got good.

XC2, I don't know, it was intriguing at the start, you get your story quest in the first location, and embark on an FFX style mission where the big first turning point happens....it went into the "proper" hook pretty fast. I still don't like how NPCs work in the series. It feels boilerplate.

NEStalgia

Therad

NEStalgia wrote:

@Therad XC1 suffered from that greatly. The first many hours through the mine were boring as heck. It was like 40% through when the plot twists started rapid fire it got good.

XC2, I don't know, it was intriguing at the start, you get your story quest in the first location, and embark on an FFX style mission where the big first turning point happens....it went into the "proper" hook pretty fast. I still don't like how NPCs work in the series. It feels boilerplate.

I haven't played any of them. Xc1 and xcx both had terrible timing coming out when I was knee deep in other games and xc2 for some reason I felt no desire to play.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Ralizah

https://nintendoeverything.com/diablo-iii-eternal-collection-...

Wow! Diablo III is native 720p in handheld mode on Switch, 960p when docked.

60fps in both modes.

Awesome performance!

@NEStalgia Movement is penalized in XC2, since your character can't move and attack at the same time. In general, the combat has de-emphasized the constant importance of positioning compared to the previous two games in the series.

I really like blade/driver combos, sealing abilities, timing attacks like in Paper Mario and blowing through a bunch of orbs on a powerful enemy with a chain attack. The system is just really fun to manipulate. Especially considering arts are tied to button presses in this game.

In terms of XCX, I like the flexibility of combat, but I'm still not sure what an overdrive is (after 35+ hours of playing, mind you), and I DETEST Soul Voices, and scrolling across the arts bar, and managing SP, especially when there doesn't seem to be an easy way to recover it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

EvilLucario

@Therad And I'd argue that all those examples I gave do a fairly decent job at it. They're 50+ hour games (except for Hollow Knight which is more around 20, with a lot of wandering on your first playthrough), the first few hours are never going to be as good as the 5 hour mark onwards and that's something you have to accept from these types of games.

@NEStalgia The part on instruction is where I heavily disagree in that only XCX dropped the ball severely with instructions by omitting a lot of CRITICAL information from the manual. The guide might be betterm but ingame instruction was anemic. XC1 was good since it told you every stat and their function, what status effects did, along with revisitable tutorials that properly explained everything. XC2 is almost the same way, minus revisiting them.

Haruki_NLI

@NEStalgia @EvilLucario @Therad I don't like the fantasy setting, much preferring the hard sci-fi and open world of X, plus the combat of X. 2 feels exceptionally slow and the inability to move auto-attack bogged the pace down, but the general slow nature did it too. Then I saw the borderline HM blocking be introduced and knew this was how the game was going to go.

The game didn't grab me within 6 hours. X did. X had more of what I personally look for in a game.

Sorry if you think I didn't give it a chance, but I know when a game wont do it for me.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Another problem of XCX, learning Overdrive (the main reason why XCX is my favorite Xeno game) is a brick-wall learning curve. Your colored Arts now serve different purposes, like green/blue Arts giving you extra Overdrive durations, purple Arts giving you 10 x (your Overdrive counter) per hit, and your yellow/orange Arts increase your Overdrive counter. Using a green -> yellow/orange Art doubles counter gains, using orange -> orange increases XP gains after the fact, blue Arts extend Overdrive much more than green Arts, etc.

And the manual tells you NOTHING on how to properly use it/maintain it.

Octane

XCX has the ugly faces, XC2 has the terrible voice acting. I wasn't sold on either game

Octane

darkfenrir

@NEStalgia I also play mostly on handheld! (I think I only ever played on TV once in the entire game, and that left me with bad taste because the other 2 friends of mine were just complaining the whole way)

But yeah in general I just want more variance in the chest size if they were to shove us with a ton of girls. Or at least adult looking ones that have normal size chest. Idk, from what I remember it's quite a rarity. (probably wrong memories)

darkfenrir

Alber-san

I had no trouble understanding the battle mechanics in XC2 and I didn't usr any guides for it. Are you guys sure it isn't explained in game?

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic