Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 31,281 to 31,300 of 31,606

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah I keep forgetting about SMT V. I am going to miss how easy it was to develop for the 3ds. Seeing Switch games from them every 3 years or so is going to suck.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Spoony_Tech I imagine we'll be seeing Atlus games more often than that. More than likely, SMT V isn't the only Switch games they have in development.

Their releases definitely won't be as prolific as they were on 3DS, however.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

JaxonH

@Spoony_Tech
True, but games always come slower the first half of the generation. By the time you get to year 3, every developer has at least one game released and an engine to work with, and experience to streamline with next time.

Once we hit 2019-2020, games are gonna start rockin out way faster than they are now. SMT may release mid 2020, and we could get a sequel like SMTIV Apocalypse 2 years later. Soon as the first ground up Monster Hunter releases, another will follow in a much shorter time span (I expect late 2020 for that, and then another in 2022).

Still, no getting around the fact games do take longer, but the first 3 years are going to take longer than the 3 years that follow. And not just that, but more games releasing in total and more multiplats releasing day and date. I think Reggie even said as much in an interview today- that a lot more games would be releasing day and date starting in 2019. I figure nobody was ready to truly commit to the system when it launched. Then by holiday 2017 everybody was like OK, Switch is for real. Let's develop. And the games that began development around that time alongside other versions will start releasing next year. Everything up until then is just games that are much quicker to develop like ports, or current games but they have to be developed after the other versions because they weren't started at the same time.

So ya, I think Pokémon 2019 will be the milestone where we see a noticeable uptick in frequency of game releases and parity with release dates. And where it might take 4 years for one game to release it might only take 2 years for a follow up.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Harmonie

IceClimbers wrote:

@Harmonie That's just him not antagonizing third party developers. Nintendo themselves use them in their mobile titles anyways.

Hell, they were the first to do lootboxes technically - Super Mario Kart!

Yes, Nintendo is using them in their mobile titles. However, the fact that Reggie brought it up here is because they are considering putting it in their console/portable games.

I know you're joking, but item boxes are RNG without requiring any currency/money, so I don't find it funny. Nothing personal, I've just experienced mobile games that are like this and it is terrible.

Harmonie

Therad

Dear Reggie, there are some differences between a collectible card game (CCG) and loot boxes in games. If I get a duplicate in a CCG I can always resell it for real money, trade it with another person or burn them in a pile if I need warmth after I lost all my money buying cards. Burning a switch doesn't give the same warmth, and the fumes can be quite toxic.

I can also keep them around for as long as I want, whereas in the case of loot boxes, the devs can at any time remove the content from those boxes, change them or remove access to the game all together without my consent.

Loot boxes by themselves are not that bad. It is the practice they are used in. The backlash EA got was mostly due to the pay2win mechanic in a multiplayer game. Those games that have boxes and are just using them for cosmetics are better. And quite often unnecessary grind is added to compel you to buy them instead. Another problem is that they are not showing the chance to get a specific loot. How much money do I need to spend to have a reasonable chance to get a specific character in fire emblem heroes for example? 10? 100? 1000?

Therad

GrailUK

What the...
D/Generation has appeared on the eshop's coming soon list! Can't believe I get a chance at finishing the game now!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

-Green-

What did I miss in the past week? Did the site implode?

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Grumblevolcano

So I think the current lineup for Nintendo published games for the 2nd half of the year is going to be:
July - Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Octopath Traveler
August - Dark Souls Remastered
September - Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country (it's getting a cartridge release), unannounced Wii U port
October - Super Mario Party, unannounced Wii U port
November - Pokemon Let's Go
December - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

And while Smash Ultimate isn't a port, it still mostly (might be completely if more stages are announced) erases the need to load up Smash Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@Grumblevolcano And I have no money for 2019

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I dunno, the fact there was no date announced for Dark Souls during the E3 presentation despite it being shown, has me a little worried about that game. If it were coming in August I would think they would have confirmed it at E3. Also I don't expect there to be anything else in terms of new releases, even if Wii U ports this year. What we know is what we will likely get and that's it, otherwise they would have said it all by now.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

link3710

@FragRed Doom was announced in September last year, arriving that year. Same with Snipperclips Plus, Mario Party: The Top 100, and New Style Boutique 3. While I doubt we'll see any more big games announced, there's still plenty of time for some more mid-size or ports to be announced for this year.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Nintendo may have thought that Wii U port announcements are not E3 worthy. Like if you think about last year, the only Wii U port featured was Pokken DX which was a pre-E3 announcement. Similarly this year the only Wii U port featured was Captain Toad which was a pre-E3 announcement.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spoony_Tech

@link3710 Don't forget L.A. Noire and Skyrim didn't get a release date till like 2 months before hand either.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

bluemage1989

Think Tokyo Mirage Sessions is almost a certainty for a port holiday season.

Currently Playing:

Switch: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Doom and Arms.

WiiU: Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and Mario Party 10.

N64: Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini.

Xbox One: Battlefield 1 and Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

gcunit

Grumblevolcano wrote:

And while Smash Ultimate isn't a port, it still mostly (might be completely if more stages are announced) erases the need to load up Smash Wii U.

Unless you like playing online for free of course

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Runner 3; Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; FIFA 18; Owlboy

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

link3710

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@FragRed Nintendo may have thought that Wii U port announcements are not E3 worthy. Like if you think about last year, the only Wii U port featured was Pokken DX which was a pre-E3 announcement. Similarly this year the only Wii U port featured was Captain Toad which was a pre-E3 announcement.

To be honest, they're right. Seeing Wii U ports announced at E3 would have thrown the internet into a frenzy.

link3710

Ralizah

This is footage of Ys VIII in handheld mode. It runs at 720p undocked.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic