Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 30,421 to 30,440 of 69,962

Ralizah

I'll wait on the other JRPG's until I clear Ys VIII and, eventually, Valkyria Chronicles 4. Nothing more exhausting than layering multiple hundred hour JRPG's on top of one-another. Been there, done that. No thanks.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah Don't forget about Torna, if you bought the XC2 expansion pass you'll have that for no extra cost.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia BlazeBlue Cross tag team battle. I'm playing on pc currently till I can scrap the cash for the game and DLC on switch. I'm spending a lot of time on SF Collection, switching mains for the first time in 15 years...lol so I'm learning Makoto. I still recommend to any FG fan to own both USFHDII and SF collection but that's just me (If you have to pick get SF collection...3rd strike!!!!). I'm not a DBZ fan but I'll be getting FighterZ (maybe). Skullgirls is ok for futzing around in (whenever that comes out). I never put a lot of time into it though. I'm on the fence about SNK heroines now that other games are out... I just need a good 3d fighter (like SC) and I'm good.

At the very least buy Garou, Samsho II (wait for V special), and KoF98.

Guilty Gear XX Accent core plus is going to be good whenever it hits the system (wish it was Xrd but I liked accent core so ah well).

Switch isnt going to be the go to so long as it has no 3d or current 2.5d presence or modern versions of SF (IV since we can't get V) but it is gaining some traction when you get past the "nintendo is for babies" crowd. I think FighterZ sales will help bamco tip a few more games our way. Not expecting SC VI but SCIIHD would be nice.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Does Cross Tag have a "great for a fighter" type campaign that other Blaz's have had?

Already have USFIIHD, definitely love it,but also looking for something more "modern" (and something with more campaign than just arcade mode.) I broke down for Tekken 7.....pretty fun. But no joystick is killing me. The disc pad on X1 Elite controller helps a lot...but...fighting without a stick is like playing a racer with a keyboard. Can't get myself to blow $150 on an HRAP for X1 though, so I have to focus my FG on Switch (yeah yeah, PC, blah blah.)

I still don't see why Tekken is absent, honstly. No reason that game can't dial the gfx back and work great. And SC......

Oh I forgot about Guilty Gear! And I figure SF IV is a given with how Capcom is milking old SF ports on Switch....they'll bring it, I'm certain. (But to me as a non-enthusiast it's the same game as 2... Pretty though. I played it at the arcade while I was knee deep in Ultra 2 last year.... I could grab it with Game Pass for 360/1 but...eh...I have Ultra 2 on Switch. With an HRAP.... )

Fighter Z should improve interesting. It's a little weird that an anime licensed fighter is such a big deal, but somehow...it is...

NEStalgia

TuVictus

Bummed that I'm now house poor and won't be able to afford as many games, and I'll be missing Traveler at launch as a result

I really need to graduate and move on already

TuVictus

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Thankfully, I don't buy DLC until I'm ready to take advantage of it. Given that I'll want to replay Xenoblade 2 after getting the DLC, I'll probably wait for a slow period to nab it.

Grumblevolcano

@Ryu_Niiyama @NEStalgia FighterZ perfectly sums up how badly Nintendo handled E3 this year. So many people wanted a Switch version and made such a big deal about it yet its reveal was nothing more than a few seconds in a coming soon highlight reel during the E3 Direct, not even any Treehouse Live footage.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

This is a good one.

"Our game that only released in Japan on their worst selling system didn't sell well. Therefore, we wont put any of the franchise on Switch with its renewed interest in a global capacity and proven track record of improved sales for games"

https://gonintendo.com/stories/313316-yakuza-series-producer-...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Dragonball Z has a weird loyal following. Not my cup of tea as the storyline is non existent...I liked the original Dragonball as it is just A journey to the west with aliens... but people still love Toriyama and his work so ...ok. I'll play it because I need a traditional fighter...well more traditional fighters.

Um I'm the last person to ask about story in a FG. I don't care (sorry). I spend half my time in training modes and Arcade modes. I care about netcode, hitboxes, frame rate and how well of a footsie game I can pull off. (my wake up game has always been garbage).

As for the why the m fighters won't come in...um these games can totally run on the switch (half of em use unreal) but its that whole chicken vs egg sort of thing. The FGC is small as is...and elitist and mainstream gamers are bogged down worrying about story and whatnot. I am hoping that the SF collection is going to push 3rd strike and Alpha II and III fans to take switches to evo. Capcom sends reps there so maybe if they see folks playing on switches in between sets then they might push out more modern games like Ultra IV.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Absolutely. So many games (Ys, Shining, Valkyria, Wolfenstein, Fighter Z, so many more got no Treehouse time, and Smash go 3 daily segments. Why not just make Day 1 smash and do other stuff the other two?

Again, speaking of Iwata, it seems Treehouse become a marketing statement for one or two games instead of a showcase of as much as possible after Iwata was gone.

@Knuckles-Fajita Oh, that's rich. In reality it only ever came to WiiU due to Iwata's close working personal relationship with Nagoshi. No Iwata, no Yakuza. More importantly the statement was translated incorrectly. It's understandable, since the kanji for "Sony" and "bribe money" can also be read as the jukugo for "franchise historical low sales." You have to use the word "Yakuza" to inference the correct reading.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama I think story modes in FG really can grow the fanbase though. That's what it's missing to hook the mainstream. Halo became a big online shooter because people got drawn in by the story. Same for Half-Life. Stories created the competitive shooting scene even if it's not the core of the game. The same could happen for FG. As a casual non-competitive FG fan, I loved DoA on 3DS, Injustice on WiiU, I'm enjoying Tekken 7 on X1 with it's thin but fun story mode, I can tell it's thin....but fun. Virtual Fighter (free on X1) is great at looking arcade cool, but doesn't draw you in with just arcade mode. Most buy COD for online competitive play, but how many bought in for the campaign to start with?

Blaz is a popular fighter....and is famous for stories in the fighting games. I still think that would really grow the genre. The sense of learning the combat through enemy AI rather than just vs practice is more interesting a draw. I'ts currently a high barrier to be interested. A campaign gets you to learn the skills in a fun way before venturing online. Especially if it's a real game and not tacked on. Heck, Subspace is the only reason I started paying attention to Smash!

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@Knuckles-Fajita Yeah I did a double take at that. But Sega gonna Sega. Who wants another sanic game ya'll!

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Octane

@NEStalgia To be fair, he never cited that the Wii U sales were the reason the Switch isn't considered. That's either a mistranslation or poor journalism.

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Those are fighting words. VF is the greatest tech fighter around. Even if Sega wont make six. And what do yo mean free on X1? Games with gold?

I have never been able to make heads or tails of BB's story and I use the time to go get a water refill. I get what you are saying objectively...but I don't understand it subjectively. The gameplay design is for learning the technique of the games, they aren't story driven (none of em make sense anyway) yet I keep hearing complaints about story. I get that for an rpg where the battle mechanics are just a vehicle to get you to the next story point, but fighting games aren't like that. The battle mechanics are the actual game. I get games like the Narutimate Ninja games that are an RPG with fight game battle mechanics but that is really a genre smash that works because they made stand alone Naruto fighing games...figured out a system then made an RPG and threw that system in there for the battles. Smash is a party brawler...if it has a story it really won't make sense. Subspace was fun but at the end of the day that series is a Nintendo and some 3rd parties mash up...just because.

However I don't care if devs add story, if mainstream people play fighting games...I get more fighting games...so I'm not knocking it...I'll just be spamming A or start to get past the fluff. Give me a solid training mode and some good netcode and an arcade mode...and I'm good to go. I live and breath VF and I can't tell you what the heck the story is about...aside from the latest Dural is a Vanessa Lewis clone...which I only know because Vanessa is my Main.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama SEGA's support is pretty robust this year, though. Looks like the people behind the Yakuza games just have no interest in Nintendo whatsoever, and are reaching for a clearly irrational excuse not to support the system.

Kind of makes me glad I bought Yakuza 0 secondhand, to be perfectly honest.

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Before this year's E3 I thought nothing could top BotW regarding overplayed games during E3 but Smash Ultimate beat it. There was half the Direct, the tournament and 10 Treehouse Live sessions so it was very relaxing when the first 3 hours of day 3 only had 1 Smash segment (Arcade Archives, Starlink, Smash, XC2 Torna DLC, Super Mario Party).

Grumblevolcano

Ralizah

What amazes me is how little was actually revealed about the new Smash, given how much we saw of it. We still know next to nothing about the other gameplay modes.

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah I'm a little salty personally as I buy sony systems to play yakuza (sure I play some other games but if yakuza stopped....I would let those other games pass me by). The thing that gets my goat is with the hd remakes of 3-5 on the way and the kiwami games (or just port the wiiu 1&2 with a resolution bump) you could toss the whole series on a new platform to another audience.

I'm not trying to dismiss Sega's other non sonic support (but as a Yakuza and VF fan...I'm kinda annoyed). So that is flavoring my response.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama " Who wants another sanic game ya'll!"
Gotta go (away) fast!

@ReaderRagfish Halo and Cod campaigns are quite popular....which is why they spend tons of money on them, and the lack of a great campaign on Halo 5 has netted it fairly low customer feedback on Microsoft's own digital store. Lots of people buy those games for the campaigns, and lots of multiplayer players got into the multiplayer by way of the campaigns. The lore is half of Halo! Maybe you're playing with competitive online minded players, who aren't interested in that, but that's an echobox of likeminded players not representing the full customer base.

Unless you meant the fighting games in which case, yes, it's not nearly as common, but some games are trying to remedy that, and IMO that would go a long, long way to growing FG as a genre. The all-arcade approach makes it stand out as antiquated and ensures the only people that are interested in an FG are people who were already interested in FG. Injustice 2 got a lot of good feedback for it's meaningful campaign in a fighting game for example. Do "core" fighters care? Of course not. But the point is selling these games beyond "core" fighters, and maybe finding more core fighters.

Street Fighter 2 and Smash 64 were products of the early to mid 90's....of course arcade play sold well back then. Arcades were still popular, and a popular selling point for home games was arcade games at home (that was Sega's main shtick with their consoles overall at the time), and Smash was unique entirely with its character crossover and platformer/fighter gameplay on a system that didn't have a huge library of games compared to today (by design.) That was when fighters were what shooters are now: the cool game everybody wants to play. But it's languished and now the only fighting fans are the existing fighting fans, mostly skewing older (those of us that remembers waiting in line behind the dude in the rad mullet for 5 minutes of Street Fighter. ) The genre needs to appeal more broadly if it doesn't want to remain niche. That doesn't mean dumb it down, but it needs a more complete package. Some fighters are doing this. I had a blast with SF2Ultra, I don't really do online fighter play (I stand no chance, I'm proud of my C- rank!) but I beat the hardest mode for arcade mode a few times and had a blast. But I'd have more of a blast if I had games with that fighting mechanic applied to a broader game. I enjoy the scant few games that offer that.

@Ryu_Niiyama Haha, it looks quite impressive. I had fun playing the drunken fighting guy for a bit. No idea what I'm doing. But yeah, VF5 Final Showdown is free with GwG (minus the billion dollars of DLC of course.) You have a few days left if you haven't picked it up, until the 15th! I'd enjoy it more with a joystick

I see your point in terms of story, but you're coming at it as a veteran competitive fighter from the days when it was all the rage in the arcade. Newer players don't have that backdrop, and somehow I was never into fighters in the arcade days....I was all about platforming/shmup/brawlers+pinball. I have a hard time getting pulled into a game if it doesn't feel like it has a focus to playing it. Just battle after battle for the sake of battle for arcade mode gets old (especially with AI that reads inputs ) something to make it into an "event" gives it a lot more weight. Given the popularity of Soulsborne, MH, games with FG like challenging fighting, high difficulty, but tie it into a campaign, I think the time is ripe to start bringing FG into more significant packages.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama They're already bringing the Yakuza games to PC (Kiwami and 0 are both scheduled for release so far, so I would guess the others will eventually follow). At this point, the only series that would get me to buy another Playstation console is Persona (Gravity Rush as well, but considering how poorly Kat's latest adventure sold, I think we've seen the end of those games). I don't care about Sony's gritty billion-dollar cinematic adventures where you're graphically murdering people.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic