Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 30,121 to 30,140 of 69,983

Harmonie

@Knuckles-Fajita With my tastes the Switch only currently has one title out of my interest - Super Mario Odyssey. Everything else that I would enjoy are Wii U games/ports, like Breath of the Wild.

I'm not saying there aren't good games, I'm just saying that it is possible for this system to not have much for an individual.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Ralizah

2018 is the year where third party releases are starting to shine on Switch. It's pretty bad on a first-party front if you owned most of those Wii U re-releases and don't care about sports and party games, though

But I don't own a Switch for only Nintendo games, so I'm more than happy with what we are getting.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers Not the full on droughts sure, but it's closer to say the gap between Tropical Freeze and MK8 for example.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Harmonie

Ralizah wrote:

2018 is the year where third party releases are starting to shine on Switch. It's pretty bad on a first-party front if you owned most of those Wii U re-releases and don't care about sports and party games, though

But I don't own a Switch for only Nintendo games, so I'm more than happy with what we are getting.

The thing about that is that a lot 3rd party games I do enjoy get a delayed release for the Switch. I already have a PS4, so naturally I'll gravitate toward getting the game when it releases there instead of waiting for it to come to the Switch some time later.

It's nice to see the third party support on the Switch, but as a multi-console owner, I'll go for who gets it first. When the Switch gets delayed releases (save for the games that were legitimately in development or released before the Switch's time) it just really feels like it's second class. Why is the Switch still having these issues even with games that are being newly developed?

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion.

Harmonie

RR529

There's also the Go Vacation remaster in August in terms of exclusives. From what I understand one of the better Wii Sports like games.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Anti-Matter

RR529 wrote:

There's also the Go Vacation remaster in August in terms of exclusives. From what I understand one of the better Wii Sports like games.

I keep cross my finger if Bandai Namco polished the 3D Trees textures into Acceptable 3D trees textures like on LEGO CITY Undercover Remaster version.
On Wii version, the trees and other plants were Abysmall !!
Just like Low Texture of Folded Papers !

Anti-Matter

Therad

rallydefault wrote:

@Therad
They're definitely behind on sales - I thought this was common knowledge. Forget where I read it, but yea - nothing major or alarming in magnitude, but Switch is a bit behind what they were hoping for this year.

Source or it didn't happen. Common knowledge is usually tainted by opinions, I.e worthless. I haven't seen anything near an analysis of sales, but I have seen hundreds of posts saying "switch only have smash" which is a nonsense argument since it is the entire library that decide a purchase.

Therad

NintendoPete

Harmonie wrote:

Why is the Switch still having these issues even with games that are being newly developed

Actually quite simple answer, most third party developer wanted to know for sure that Switch is successful enough to invest in that product. And know it takes time to get the games out as fast as possible. In 1-2 years you probably don't have to wait that long anymore. As a non-multi-console gamer, I really don't care as long as the game runs fine. For me, there hasn't been any droughts and there won't be in the foreseeable future.

NintendoPete

Anti-Matter

@Therad
Peoples who JUDGE the game Must be like Smash Bros ONLY or No Buy = 1 Dimensional Gamers.
They knew Only 1 Genre, Refuse to try other genre.
They might feel ashamed to Lower their Ego to play "Cheesy" / "Casuals" games.
They might think "Real gamer, Real Men play Manly games, No Girlie / Sissie games."

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

Harmonie wrote:

The thing about that is that a lot 3rd party games I do enjoy get a delayed release for the Switch. I already have a PS4, so naturally I'll gravitate toward getting the game when it releases there instead of waiting for it to come to the Switch some time later.

I've said before that I don't think, at this point in time, that the Switch has a whole lot to offer someone who:
A) Owned a Wii U
B) Owns other modern gen consoles
C) Doesn't care about portability

That's a lot of specific conditions to meet, though. And, in time, these holdouts will gradually migrate to Switch to play exclusives like Odyssey, Octopath, Mario + Rabbids, Metroid Prime 4, etc. anyway.

Harmonie wrote:

It's nice to see the third party support on the Switch, but as a multi-console owner, I'll go for who gets it first. When the Switch gets delayed releases (save for the games that were legitimately in development or released before the Switch's time) it just really feels like it's second class. Why is the Switch still having these issues even with games that are being newly developed?

Because PS4 and Xbox One are very similar and easy to develop similar versions for, whereas the Switch is weaker and needs to have its games optimized for both docked and undocked gameplay?

Granted, I think, over time, these delays between versions will grow smaller, but most of these "newly developed" games have been in the development pipeline for several years to begin with.

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Owning a Wii U is already removing like 50% of people :^]

Granted, I loved and still do love my Wii U and its selection of games. But portability is a big sway imo. Making an informed decision to get portability instead of performance/graphics is best for everyone.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@EvilLucario Yep. Options are good, and as long as the game looks and plays good enough, then I'd prefer to have a version of a game that I know I'll play a lot more of.

If someone is going to have an existential crisis about the Switch version being inferior performance-wise (as many concern trolls seem to anytime a new PS4 port comes out), then the PS4 is probably a better fit for them.

Edited on by Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

As for me regarding 3rd party games, there's plenty I'd like but not buying given my backlog. Like Ys VIII looks interesting but the combination of Xenoblade 2 DLC and backlog, I'll skip it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Harmonie

@Ralizah I like portability, it just takes a very specific instance for me to want to spend yet another $60 to double dip just for that portability. I did it for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (which I did mainly to move on with the new online scene and being able to play with friends that never had a Wii U but ended up really liking it for the portability), and I'd love to get BoTW on the Switch someday, hopefully after it becomes a Selects title and is cheaper. However, I can't think of a single other title I would double dip on.

If only Nintendo had proper sales for their games like other gaming companies, than I might be more willing to double dip on things or try new games. However for $60 I'm just not, and can't.

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

shadow-wolf

@Harmonie Just a heads up, you don't have to pay $60 if you look for certain deals. For example, games like Odyssey, BotW , and Mario Kart are generally around $40 on eBay. Pair that with the monthly 15% off or 20% off deals, and you can get the games for close to $30 or $35. eBay may not often have brand new games, but used games are generally in excellent condition (as long as the sellers are reputable and have good ratings). If you want downloaded games from the eShop, you can try to get the monthly deals from PayPal and eBay for 15% off $50 eShop cards.

shadow-wolf

Therad

Ralizah wrote:

@EvilLucario Yep. Options are good, and as long as the game looks and plays good enough, then I'd prefer to have a version of a game that I know I'll play a lot more of.

If someone is going to have an existential crisis about the Switch version being inferior performance-wise (as many concern trolls seem to anytime a new PS4 port comes out), then the PS4 is probably a better fit for them.

If performance is everything, then a PS4 won't cut it. Bleeding edge PC is the only way to go.

Therad

Ralizah

@Therad Yep. Games like The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 run at half the framerate on the PS4/Xbox One as they do on even moderately decent gaming PCs. Yet I don't see a lot of whining online about how the console version of TW3 is "unplayable" at 30fps with drops. For some reason, that complaint only seems to crop up with Nintendo ports. And the PS4 isn't even portable!

Edited on by Ralizah

canucksfan989

I rarely see games cheaper than the brand new copies on eBay. Craigslist is usually my go to but even then people are asking 70 to 80 dollars cad for a used copy.

canucksfan989

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah Thanks! I decided to wait. I have a number of games I'm working through including two RPGs. I have the game on ps4 and pc anyway and I still have yet to play it. I can wait on switch.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

I dont care about getting a game sooner on PS4 or Xbox One. I'd rather wait and get a free handheld version for my money, and switch back and forth every day when I go to work, come home, go to work, come home, etc.

Theres really nothing gained by playing it sooner. Game will be just as fun tomorrow as it is today. More fun, actually, given the advantages of a hybrid version, touch screen, motion, HD rumble, etc. And not all games properly use HD rumble but when they do (Hollow Knight comes to mind) it really elevates the experience, as does motion and touch (Okami HD comes to mind)

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic