Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,981 to 29,000 of 41,130

UnknownReader

@darkfenrir I only like 3 VN so far. Brother Conflict Precious Baby (vita) , Storm Lovers (vita), Mystic Messenger (Android).
Those rely on just reading and 2 choice sentence pick, I get bored easily, lol! I don't understand the fun in those. I rather read manga, lol!

My Brain, eyes, and fingers are not team player. They don't coordinate with each other.

darkfenrir

@UnknownReader haha, I just love them... just because I guess? XD

I mean Fault Milestone series (I got into them on Steam) is amaziiing, and if they can make it into manga or anime, I think that will fit far better with the series haha.

What about some VNs like Danganronpa though? Those are crazy good I hear (and not sure if I want to get in- I suuuuck at mystery solving)

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

IceClimbers

The Hori stand doesn't have a pass through iirc, it just allows access to the port on the system itself that's otherwise blocked off.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

UnknownReader

@darkfenrir I tired Danganronpa 2, wasn't into it. Well, I wasn't into that anime as well. I know it's popular, just don't capture my attention.

Mystery solving I like Corpse Party and Yomawari. Root Letter is quite ok too.

My Brain, eyes, and fingers are not team player. They don't coordinate with each other.

kkslider5552000

oninowon wrote:

Majority of AAA titles are released on the other 2 systems

I mean, true, but as I said in another thread, that's a grand total of maybe a dozen or so games so far this year?

I mean, ignoring Sony and Microsoft owned games, there's Monster Hunter World. There's already a Switch Monster Hunter game that Capcom could localize if they wanted to. There's Dragon Ball FighterZ, which Namco Bandai have hinted at releasing IIRC. That new Dissidia FF game that...did not review that well. Yakuza 6, is a next gen game with no real equivalent coming AFAIK. That is true. Ni no Kuni 2 we're not getting but Level 5 is gonna be supporting Switch quite a bit, which makes sense as they were a big part of DS and especially 3DS (with like exclusives and whatever). A Way Out is unlikely, but we did just get EA's other indie game, Fe. Far Cry 5 we are not getting. But that being said, I think people would be cool if they just put out 3 or 4 or even Blood Dragon on Switch, everything I saw and read suggested 5 is not dramatically different from past games. But I guess it counts as much as any well liked, samey sequel, so I'd also count that regardless.

And of course, Fortnite is the most popular game in the world right now and could very easily run on Switch. My point being though, AAA games are not offering many games this year where the same people who made it wouldn't be able to or aren't going to provide somewhat of an equivalent experience on Switch. And for that matter, are a tiny fraction of gaming as certain companies make less and less games so that they can make people spend more for certain massive games. I do agree that certain AAA games are massively successful and it would help if they were on Switch, but there are so many popular games beyond them and there are clearly so many games that will succeed on Switch. And if you aren't a fan of the same couple of genres, the games too powerful to be ported to Switch or whatever are not something you're probably gonna like anyway.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

TheLobster

oninowon wrote:

TheLobster wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

Only $20

The Hori one is $13. What makes this one better?

You guys are aware of 3rd party chargers bricking the system, right?

You are aware both of these being discussed are just stands and in no way provide power to the Switch, right?

Super Mario Maker Bookmark Page

Switch Friend Code: SW-5549-9228-7780 | 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2545-4434 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLobster | Twitter:

StuTwo

subpopz wrote:

StuTwo wrote:

The real beauty of the “NESflix” model is that it makes it viable to pop in and out of games with marginal value. Like I’d struggle to justify paying anything for Dr Mario on Switch but if it’s included in a broader subscription that I’m getting for other purposes then I might play it.

This is my take away from it. I see it as a good thing, especially with NES games. So many of them are just not worth buying, but fun enough to jump in and out of when available in a broader subscription.

I think - to speculate a little - that the switch to this model also confirms what some of us have been saying for a while: VC was never as profitable as some people “in the bubble” assume it was.

Yes, everyone wants SMB, SMB3, SMW, Super Metroid and A Link to The Past and is willing to pay for them again and again but maybe the sales for good second tier titles were not good and third tier titles sales were completely non-existent. I think that’s part of why the Wii U selection was much smaller (but still had just about very game most people would actually ever be willing to pay for).

Bundling may be the only way to keep some of those good but not mega popular games in circulation. Even the drip feed release of new titles could turn out to be a stroke of genius for smaller (or shorter arcade style) titles when no one has to actually fork over money specifically for that game.

On an unrelated note - the odds of Wind Waker HD this year or next just went up dramatically...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Anti-Matter

@oninowon
AAA games are not really important in my opinion.
Even some lower classes games (Indies , A, AA level games) are better than typical AAA games.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Grumblevolcano

@StuTwo I'm not sure regarding the Zelda remasters, Nintendo may want people to see that franchise as open world and as a result only release non-BotW style games for systems that can't handle open world games (e.g. 3DS, mobile).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Zuljaras

@Anti-Matter Just for you. I hope you are aware that your opinion is NOT global opinion and most other people do NOT think like that.

Zuljaras

Anti-Matter

@Zuljaras
Long time no see you.
I found there were some users here prefer some lower classes games than typical AAA games.
I was't the only one.

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Zuljaras

@Anti-Matter I know but the majority of users prefer either only AAA games or a healthy mix between AAA and indies.

Zuljaras

Therad

AAA is such an overused term. It is an highly subjective term, the meaning is different for different people.

Or do you have an objective way of quantify an AAA title?

Therad

darkfenrir

I don't mind AA or indie titles, but I prefer having them all thank you.

Healthy mix is better than heavily one side

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Anti-Matter

Therad wrote:

AAA is such an overused term. It is an highly subjective term, the meaning is different for different people.

Or do you have an objective way of quantify an AAA title?

AAA or not, i don't care.
It just only a Label Tag.
People categorized games by game budget factor, gaming presentation and graphics factor.
Peoples said Zelda BOTW was an AAA from Nintendo, GOTY with 97 score by Metacritic, but i found it was a different story for me.
Even i owned Zelda BOTW, but i found the game was pretty difficult for me as a Newbie of Zelda games. I gave it 7 / 10 due to Difficulty level in the game. Not really engaged with the game but i still see a potential from that game.

Instead, i found another games that easier, enjoyable, really addicting and it was Not AAA games.
In this case, i found Portal Knights on Switch was the Best choice for me. And later, Portal Knights will got a Massive Updates and i could give 9 / 10 score.

My Top 6 games :

1UP_MARIO

@Anti-Matter your comparing zelda BOTW with portal knights. They are totally different games

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Anti-Matter

@1UP_MARIO
Well...
Both of them have some similarity.
The Hearts icon on the Upper Left, Action RPG, Hunting foes, Durability on each Weapons, Solo hunting games.
Although they are still completely different games.

My Top 6 games :

skywake

StuTwo wrote:

I think - to speculate a little - that the switch to this model also confirms what some of us have been saying for a while: VC was never as profitable as some people “in the bubble” assume it was.

I'm still not convinced. Classic games packaged like this were and still are almost entirely profit. I would wager that they would have made more money from these classic games if they had returned to the VC as it was. But there's more to this decision than just the money to be had from the games themselves. It means that, going forward, they can't as easily be critisised for selling you Super Mario Bros for the 100th time. It means they have a carrot for their online subscription. And it also means that consumers, even the most Nintendo obsessed, are more likely to give some of these games a go.

Not every decision is as black and white as which one directly makes more money.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

Ya, VC was clearly profitable. At least for the titles that aren't super niche.

But there's an indirect cost involving a whole host of other factors. Some of which have been listed above. Others which might include replacing sales of other games, particularly those from smaller 3rd party titles, which impacts the market on the supply side to the consumer when less games come, which can ultimately affect reputation, hardware sales, and that in turn affects software sales.

It's always about money at the end of the day, but not always so cut and dry.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy X, Dragon’s Dogma, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, Trials Rising
X1: Far Cry New Dawn, Trials Fusion
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/PSVR//Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

StuTwo

@skywake I’m sure you’re right - it probably wasn’t a simple decision taken purely on the basis of expected profit margins.

I think it’s clear though that some games (largely 1st party ones) were very vey profitable on VC and others were much less so. If your game falls into that category (which is the overwhelming majority) then the question is “is it worth finding out if we even own all of the rights to this game and putting it through Nintendo’s approval process when we only stand to make a few thousand pounds?”.

Even from Nintendo’s own 1st party stuff historically important but terrible games like Soccer, Baseball and Urban Champion can’t have been really worth putting out but the new service gives them a place where they can be accessed and played without the barrier of payment that’s specifically for them.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic