Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,881 to 28,900 of 69,995

Late

Speaking of streaming games: Just Dance has the Unlimited service which streams the songs as well. I bought Just Dance 2018 a month ago and it comes with 3 free months of Unllmited so I've been able to try it out. While it's a rhythm based game, the movements don't have to be perfect so it works just fine. I haven't really noticed any differences when playing the songs that are on the cartridge vs. the streaming service. I've had great time even when I've been using my smartphone to share the internet connection to my Switch.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Therad

Late wrote:

Speaking of streaming games: Just Dance has the Unlimited service which streams the songs as well. I bought Just Dance 2018 a month ago and it comes with 3 free months of Unllmited so I've been able to try it out. While it's a rhythm based game, the movements don't have to be perfect so it works just fine. I haven't really noticed any differences when playing the songs that are on the cartridge vs. the streaming service. I've had great time even when I've been using my smartphone to share the internet connection to my Switch.

Just dance isn't really the same thing. All the input processing happens on your device. The program downloads the song and moveset before hand. In the case of RE, the input is sent to a server and is processed there. In one instance your input is basically instant. In the other you will get lag, it is physical impossible not to.

The question is of course if the lag is noticable for you or not.

Therad

Octane

@Therad Are you sure about that? Ubisoft explicitly says that it's a streaming service, I can't find anything on downloading the songs beforehand.

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad Are you sure about that? Ubisoft explicitly says that it's a streaming service, I can't find anything on downloading the songs beforehand.

Why would they have a more expensive option, when they can have a cheaper, more robust service?

Besides, even if they don't download the song beforehand, it still wouldn't be the same as RE because they don't stream the graphics, it is still rendered in your console. A song is miniscule compared to a video stream.

Btw, streaming is such an overused word. And as with any overused word, it has different meanings for different people.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Late

I'm pretty sure it doesn't download the song beforehand. I rarely have any problems but it has dropped the resolution in the middle of a song or started buffering couple of times.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Octane

@Therad Streaming does have some definition. And downloading songs and then playing them doesn't sound like streaming to me.

I'm also not entirely sure why you're suggesting that the console does the rendering. Each song have different animations as far as I'm aware, so you still need the data for that. It looks like you're streaming it RE7 style. You don't download anything, you need to be connected to the internet for it to work. And with a limited service like Unlimited, it makes sense it's a streaming service.

Octane

OorWullie

Nintendo have confirmed they have no plans for a dock-less Switch outside of Japan. I know they've confirmed stuff in the past and weeks later done exactly what they said they had to plans to do but I can't see it happening this time. There will be a revised model complete with dock before there is one without a dock.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad Streaming does have some definition. And downloading songs and then playing them doesn't sound like streaming to me.

I'm also not entirely sure why you're suggesting that the console does the rendering. Each song have different animations as far as I'm aware, so you still need the data for that. It looks like you're streaming it RE7 style. You don't download anything, you need to be connected to the internet for it to work. And with a limited service like Unlimited, it makes sense it's a streaming service.

Are the dancers in the song following your moves? Or is it just the "perfect", "good" and so on that changes?

Therad

Octane

@Therad Do I seem like the person that plays Just Dance all day long?

The last time I saw that game in action must've been two or three years ago, so I have no idea to be honest. I'm just going off by what information is available on the internet.

Octane

toiletduck

gcunit wrote:

@YummyHappyPills (a) We have a FIFA thread;

I've seen far worse derailing posts in this thread about games which have their own topics.

I do find it quite annoying at times though. If I'd be interested in that Sushi game, I'd read the topic. Or reading two simultaneous discussions about the new Pokemon game in both this topic as in the dedicated Pokemon RPG topic. And then for some reason, a topic with 85% Switch thoughts and rumours is placed somewhere totally unrelated (all encompassing E3 thread). Sometimes I don't really get the policy...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Haruki_NLI

@toiletduck Strictly speaking as of October 20th 2016 this thread became pointless

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad Do I seem like the person that plays Just Dance all day long?

The last time I saw that game in action must've been two or three years ago, so I have no idea to be honest. I'm just going off by what information is available on the internet.

Isn't those the three golden triangles of dancing?

In any case, streaming is better for static content (i.e movies, spotify) than dynamic content, because you can send content beforehand. So any hiccup in the connection is compensated for.

Therad

Octane

@Therad Of course, I agree. But apparently it's good enough that it works for some games at least.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

Bruh

Lifetime comparison

NDA stuff means no figures

Delayed release stunted sales

Dislikes the eShop

Steam was pirated before launch, impacted sales.

Why they think Switch sold so well

Not yet profitable, so sales obviously aren't that good.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

link3710

@YummyHappyPills And the good Nindie sales just keep racking up. Haven't gotten Wulverblade myself, but glad to see it's doing well.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@link3710 I wasn't referring to that.

I expected that. What I didn't expect was the 2nd and 3rd sets of data.

OorWullie

@YummyHappyPills Switch day one sales were stronger than Steam YEAR one sales. Still,the dev says he hasn't broken even yet so just how poor were those other platform sales and are the Switch sales even that great in reality. I don't think it ever entered the top 15 in the UK or US Eshop charts. I imagine it was a fairly expensive game to make though and I'm pretty sure the majority of it was made by 1 guy.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Haruki_NLI

@OorWullie I'm aware. Forgive me for not posting links to every tweet he replied to.

rallydefault

They probably spent a good chunk of change getting it on Xbox/PS4. Probably would be breaking even or profiting by now if it was just PC/Switch or even just Switch.

<nudges most Indie devs>

See, guys? Just go exclusive for Switch and you'll see profits even sooner!

rallydefault

IceClimbers

So apparently the release date for Just Shapes & Beats was announced four days ago and slipped under everybody's radar. Game comes out this Thursday, May 31st!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic