Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,561 to 28,580 of 30,249

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think with Dark Souls it's simply whatever Nintendo's doing with the paid online service messes with the online multiplayer side of the game requiring more time to be worked on.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spanjard

In short; none of us really know.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

DarthNocturnal

@darkfenrir

Hinterland Studios recently announced a partnership to make physical copies of The Long Dark. In the same announcement, they said they were hoping to bring it to “other platforms“. It's on PC, XB1, and PS4. Gee, what's left?

Anyhoo, I'm mentioning it because it might be of interest to you. It's a survival game where mother nature hates your guts. It's got a story mode and a very flexible survival mode (difficulty modifiers galore). I don't think it'd have any issue running on Switch, so here's hoping for a port.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

MisterPi

@Spanjard exactly. There's usually these very elaborate plots that people think up whenever it happens, but more than likely they just needed more time to get the game performing at an acceptable level

MisterPi

JaxonH

Hardly think maximizing revenue with staggered handheld release qualifies as an "elaborate plot". Neither does paying for exclusive rights (something even Nintendo themselves is starting to dabble in). But people around here make you think you've got to wear a tinfoil hat to believe in either of them actually happening.

This generation really lacks skills in critical analysis (whether it's willful or not is yet to be determined). Elaborate plot would involve a conspiracy among developers uniting to overthrow one of the main platforms, in hopes of lowering the number of versions released, and then paying anonymous groups to attack their reputation on the Internet.

That's an elaborate plot. This... this is freshman level reasoning and analytical deduction based on simple observation of what's happening with significant frequency, and basic logical reasoning exploring why.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, South Park Fractured But Whole, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

MisterPi

@JaxonH wasn't referring to you. I'm talking about the ridiculous ones. Yours isn't. At least it wasn't "Sony paid off Namco to delay it" or something similar.

And let's not pretend that doesn't go on. Even here.

Edited on by MisterPi

MisterPi

JaxonH

@MisterPi
I gotchya.

I think people go overboard with some of the Sony theories, but at the same time I think people turn a blind eye to a lot of what they do. Like MH being PS exclusive in Japan, which clearly shows they are willing to pay money to keep it off other systems when it suits them, or Street Fighter V being kept off other systems with a deal (some allege they made it possible but that's nonsense, Capcom was always gonna make a new SF, it's one of their premier IP). Crash being paid as an exclusive, countless examples of timed DLC... etc etc. So ya, I do think Sony pays money to ensure certain content and games doesn't go to certain systems. But that doesn't mean every time a game doesn't come it's a result of them. It just means we know they use those tactics regularly, so you can never be too sure.

I've certainly had my fair share of suspicion towards them. That doesn't mean I think every single game that doesn't come as a result of some plot. It's kind of like, there's two extremes. Those who mindlessly accuse them every single time and those who refuse to even aknowledge the possibility.

And as per usual, the truth tends to lie somewhere in the middle.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, South Park Fractured But Whole, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

MisterPi

@JaxonH no worries. I think part of it is also me just trying to stay positive rather than believing there would be such nefarious practices. They most definitely exist at times, I'm sure, but my initial reaction to news like that is usually that it's probably a less politically motivated reason. Either way, I'm just happy the switch is getting the games at all, late or not!

MisterPi

JaxonH

@MisterPi
Well said.

I can deal with games coming later. It's not ideal, but as long as they come... I'm happy.

It's such a great system, so seeing even a small portion of 3rd party games make their way over is exciting. Hopefully in a year or two once the system is on top of the world with a large install base and plenty of time succeeding in the market, we'll see a lot more games coming.

It's tough right now because, other systems are in their prime. A lot of games took several years to make their way to other systems after seventh generation transition. But now they've hit their stride and games are getting pumped out left and right. Unfortunately switch hasn't yet gone through that transition period yet. But we'll get there. That latest game developer survey showed an incredible increase in % devs making games for the system versus last year, and even more showing interest (36% interested in Switch vs 39% on PS4- that's astonishing given just 3% were actively making games for Switch in spring 2017). I think by this time next year we will see a lot of that interest materialize into real, tangible games.

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

subpopz

Finally put a 200gb card in mine. Archived everything and redownloading now.
Downloads were exceptionally slow (showed 5 hours for Rocket League). Looked into it a bit and found a solution.
Logged into my router and changed it from 2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz. World of difference for the Switch. Rocket League immediately went from taking 5 hours to 50mins.

Now I need to buy a simultaneous dual-band router :/
I need the 2.4Ghz band for the range and my kids tablets as they don't recognize the 5Ghz.

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

IceClimbers

So I bought South Park via Amazon and it says it will arrive on Tuesday but I'm starting to think that won't happen considering it supposedly hasn't shipped yet. Either that or it does arrive and the tracker is just wrong.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

subpopz

@IceClimbers I use Amazon Prime Canada and the tracker is anything but reliable. I have packages still in transit on their tracker that I received months ago.
Did they give you a tracking number for the actual carrier service delivering it? Those trackers are far more reliable (the ones they use in Canada are, anyway)

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

JaxonH

Check this guy out. He does the Mor Ardain theme song from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Dude's freaking jammin! Gosh I love the music in that game

NOW PLAYING
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

YummyHappyPills

@JaxonH Oh, that's Shady. Been chilling with him for about a year and half now. Great guy. Giving me feedback on some projects, gave me advice towards a guitar of my own I'll eventually get as a leftie, and is generally a sweet guy.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Splatoon 2 Tournament on June 9th: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Harmonie

IceClimbers wrote:

So I bought South Park via Amazon and it says it will arrive on Tuesday but I'm starting to think that won't happen considering it supposedly hasn't shipped yet. Either that or it does arrive and the tracker is just wrong.

I've seen Amazon get a package to me in a day, so it is still possible believe it or not.

Harmonie

FragRed

@kobashi100 I hope Bethesda keep supporting the Switch. It will be interesting to see what they bring to the system after Wolfenstein 2. Will be interesting to see whether they mention any of the games they announce this year to be coming to the Switch.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

StuTwo

@JaxonH access fees for a format isn’t something that’s often explicitly mentioned in interviews by publishers/devs but I think there’s a few reasons why.

1. It’s incredibly sensitive commercial information. Even if Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft didn’t tell publishers who get a better than normal deal not to talk about it under serious non-disclosure agreements they still wouldn’t typically want to talk about it.

2. The devs (especially those working on big games for big publishers) perhaps don’t always know the ins and outs of these deals.

Their bosses/publishers aren’t necessarily going to be in a rush to share that information with them either in most cases. Especially since it’s big publishers who have the most stark divide between development and commercial teams who are likely to have the leverage to get better deals in the first place.

3. Sometimes we do get comments like ‘Nintendo is offering us great support’. The community often takes that to mean ‘oh it’s easy to develop for’ or ‘Nintendo has helped them with the programming’. They’re clearly doing more than just supplying third party devs with unlimited chocolate biscuits.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume that ‘great support’ might sometimes be a euphemism for ‘we’re hardly paying anything to be there so every sale is 99% pure profit’.

To make myself clear - I think there’s probably not a lot in it but it is an important tool at the discretion of format holders to entice or encourage particular publishers or to keep them loyal. And it’s one that’s completely invisible to most of the consumers.

I actually think the case of the Dark Souls delay has one simple reason: it’s genuinely not ready and they want to optimise it. Yes every preview has said it seems to run great... but if you were taking a piece of software to show would you deliberately choose to show off the bits you hadn’t got running well yet or the bits that look impressive?

Maybe it’s features like the online integration that don’t work yet?

Then again - tin foil hats at the ready now - maybe Nintendo had a big (not yet announced) release scheduled for late summer and that game has slipped so Dark Souls has been moved from a slightly busy period between DKTF and Mario Tennis to plug a newly formed gap in August?

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic