Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,481 to 27,500 of 69,981

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
Oh, btw.
Speaking about 2D Platformer, Super Princess Peach NDS was my Favorite.
I finished that game until 99.99% contents unlocked.

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

I wasn't blown away by Tropical Freeze on the Wii U, but then, I didn't play too much of it, either. I absolutely loved DKCR on the 3DS, so I'm tempted to snag Tropical Freeze on the Switch. I think I just inherently enjoy certain types of games more on portable platforms.

But, you know, not everybody is going to love certain games. I'm that way with a lot of the action games people rave about: Uncharted, Bloodborne, Bayonetta, etc.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

SKTTR

I played through DKCR relatively fast, though I didn't like the new controls and physics, and the overall presentation (graphics and audio) were generic compared to when DKC launched on the SNES which had some of the best graphics and music at the time. DKCR is my least favourite DKC game. Even Jungle Beat with the bongo controller was better.

A few years later I bought DKC:TF for Wii U, and even though it had much better graphics, much better sound, and much better level design, it took me a year or two to get in the mood to complete it. I like it now, but I was never totally into it.

Well, Retro Studios is a weird company. They make games with "Metroid" and "DKC" in the title, and with characters from Metroid and DKC, but they never feel like Metroid or DKC.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

NaviAndMii

Anti-Matter wrote:

@JaxonH
Oh, btw.

What made you stop? I'm not much of a 'completionist' myself - but if I'd have made it all the way to 99.99% completion, I think I'd have felt obliged to polish off the remaining 0.01%!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

DKC TF is at #2 on Amazon UK. It wont top the charts of the launch week at retail but itll come top 5 it seems.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

I'm so happy seeing the game finally be embraced. It deserved so much more than it's initial reception.

What's up with certain games not getting physical releases here in the US? One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, like Unlimited World Red before it, I have to import from Amazon UK. Urban Trials Playground, also getting a physical release May 4th in EU but not the US. So I'm importing that one also (I like Trials games).

And Little Nightmares Complete Edition has no listings up in the US aside from GameStop, and that doesn't even have an icon for the boxart. Meanwhile it's listed on Amazon UK.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH Usually I'd agree about there not being more platformers, but I think things are different this time.
1. HAL does almost nothing but 2D platformers, and is quite prolific. With them not working across multiple systems now, it seems guaranteed we'll get at least 1 more main series Kirby, and 1 more spinoff Kirby, which may be a platformer like Mass Attack. Given they've released at least 3 games each generation, that's a given.
2. Given we haven't actually seen an original DK game this generation, it's quite likely one will show up down the road, since every single generation has had an original game since the SNES.
3. With any luck, we'll get a new Wario platformer soon.
4. GoodFeel has only done 2D platformers for their large games, and have at least 4 years to go this generation after Yoshi comes out. I'd expect something from them in a few years.
5. 2D Mario will happen this generation, Nintendo would be fools to turn down the money that brings in. The only question is when.
6. Don't know if this technically counts or not, but a Mario Maker upgrade/sequel seems a given as well.
7. Again not sure if it counts, but with any luck we might get another 2-D Metroid this generation.

So that's a good 5-7 that are still likely to release, plus anything that comes out of left field, mostly due to the fact that they've merged the usual releases from portable and home.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH Whats up with certain games not getting physical releases here in the EU?

I can get a lot of Capcom's games physical in America, but not here. We almost didn't (Albeit delayed) get Dark Souls physically until Nintendo funded it here for retail.

At this point its obvious why Im all digital. Its just easier and less stress.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@link3710
That's following the old rules of split platforms though. They'll probably balance it out being all on one console now.

Even so, toss another couple in there. It's not much over the span of 6 years. If all HAL does is make Kirby platformers, then I don't think that's anything to complain about if they continue doing that. We'll probably see a Mario Maker also, but that's more creation tools, and Metroid isn't a platformer. It might be a 2D game but, a different genre, and that's something people really want. Doubt anyone would ever say "don't make a 2D Metroid because I count 5 platformers on the system".

I doubt we'll see a Wario platformer either, specifically because they are going to be balancing genres all combined on Switch. Game & Wario is my bet, not a platformer.

Maybe Goodfeel gets another game out, but they only put out one 2D platformer game on Wii U and only put out one 2D platformer game on Wii edit actually they did put out WarioLand Shake It also, but that would kill two of your birds with one stone, if Goodfeel made a WarioLand game it would be both the Wario platformer you speak of, and it would be their second game. Yoshi might be all we get from them. But it's possible we see one more. I seriously doubt it though specifically because they're not going to just do platformers. Nintendo will probably tell them to make something else.

Which means this is pretty much it. Aside from Mario Maker and a Kirby sequel or two. Doubt anyone is touching DKC. Retro is working on something else. And 2D Mario is now likely now going to be represented via Mario Maker. Unless they reinvent their direction, in which case I would be genuinely interested in whatever they put out, which means it would be a good thing, not bad

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@YummyHappyPills
Less demand in EU, as Nintendo has a much lower market share there. I completely understand why certain games don't get a physical release in EU, for that very reason.

But vise versa? It makes no sense. Any game with enough demand to see a physical release in EU almost certainly could weather a physical release in NA. Aside from perhaps ⚽️ sims.

FragRed

@YummyHappyPills I kinda wish I had gone that way when getting the Switch. But I really find it hard to go all digital now I've been buying physical for so long.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

I think if Pokemon Switch is this year they'll use a Pokemon Direct to act as damage control for the info on the paid online service in early May.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I don't think there'll be any damage to control, really.

People have known for over a year now they're going to a paid online service, and we've known it's going to be $19.99/year here. And it got pushed back so online was free for an extra year.

The only discontent I can see would be lack of cloud save option. But provided that's included I don't really see any pushback at all. In fact, if that's included I imagine most people will feel the service can't come soon enough.

If they actually add in some decent online features as well- like messaging any friends you want via the app and party chat for any game via the app... people will be thrilled.

I mean, they've got to be adding something. They just announced to investors there's going to be an internal cost associated with the launch of the service, so clearly they're going to be bringing something to the table. It's not just going to be a new pay wall put in place- I don't know exactly what it will be but it's costing them something. What comes to mind when I hear that is servers for cloud save uploads/downloads, new app developed for messaging and party chat, online classic games developed for the service, etc.

I also wouldn't overlook the fact it was delayed. It's evident to me they had a change of plans and decided there were features originally absent they felt needed to be included. The sheer time it'll have been since Switch launched (18 months) indicates to me that whatever it is, it will be more than people are likely expecting. I don't know if it will address every need, but it's certainly going to be something of substance given it's taken them 18 months to implement it. I also recall them stating it's going to be worth the wait- I have a feeling a proper party chat system for the new app along with cloud save backups is coming.

Edited on by JaxonH

FragRed

I think Nintendo made the delay when they realised that people weren't going to be happy with such a basic and poorly thought out paid online service. It must have taken them by surprise and have been trying to get something together in the hopes of pleasing the Switch owners. I still do not expect Nintendo to manage to get it right even with the delay.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I think we'd all prefer it to be on the console itself...

But that ship has sailed.

Best we can hope for is a proper system in place, even if it is via phone. Not sure how merging audio will work. Always have the Hori adapter, but ya... at worst just plug headphones from phone for chat, and the audio comes from TV over it. Idk.

It's not like I play online much anyways, and when I do I just call my bro and put my phone on speaker

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Well, ya they said it wasn't happening the moment they confirmed the online would be via a phone app.

Seems they specifically do not want it on their console, probably so if somebody gets harassed they've got a buffer zone and say it happened on the phone rather than their family friendly system. Honestly I don't know why, but that would be my guess.

We do know they said it was going to be via a phone app. Unless they plan to do a complete 180 about face, that's what it's going to be. Just like the limited app for Splatoon 2, only with more features. I wouldn't rule it out entirely because there's always the remote chance they've changed their minds but, I'm certainly not counting on it

Edited on by JaxonH

EvilLucario

One thing I really hope for with the newer, younger president is that we'll finally get a 180˚ turnaround on old backwards things like Nintendo's policy on online and YouTube/Twitch content ID claims.

It may not happen, but with new leadership and new, younger management I hope they get out of their old ways.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

Since Nintendo removed Region Lock for Switch, i wonder if Shuntaro Furukawa will Remove Region Lock for 3DS. Should Nintendo keep their Old policy for 3DS ? I think No More Region Lock is the Best Option.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

NaviAndMii wrote:

Anti-Matter wrote:

@JaxonH
Oh, btw.

What made you stop? I'm not much of a 'completionist' myself - but if I'd have made it all the way to 99.99% completion, I think I'd have felt obliged to polish off the remaining 0.01%!

For Super Princess Peach, i still have 1 more enemy that i haven't found yet to make my Enemy Glossary 100%.
It was a creature like Starfish that i have to found them at 3 different places.
But i still haven't meet that starfish. So my completition was stil 99.99%.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic