Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,361 to 27,380 of 69,981

skywake

Therad wrote:

@skywake regarding the carts, it doesn't matter that they have made cheaper carts before, it still competes with blu-rays this time around. Carts are by their very nature much more expensive to produce.

I never said they didn't cost more. I'm just saying the claims of $10us more are a bit unrealistic. It's the same tech that has been in portables since the DS at least. Yes they're bigger now but not extraordinarily so, it's literally keeping pace with the rate all other nand has become cheaper. Basically, the DS didn't have cheaper cartridges.

The only difference now is that it's on a home console again and at capacities within striking distance of optical media.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Anti-Matter

NintendoPete wrote:

according to gamefront.de - Nintendo will release information on their paid online service on its website in early May!

Eh ?!
Another Nintendo Direct with explanation about Paid Online Service ?

Anti-Matter

FragRed

@Anti-Matter No I doubt Nintendo will have a Direct to talk about the online service. It will either be a press release or a video that just appears online one day. But it makes sense to get it out the way before E3. That way any bad feelings that will definitely come from the details won't overshadow all the goodness they will announce at E3. Hopefully.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

A Direct on the online service would be the most disappointing Direct ever.

''Hey, you know those games you've been playing online all those years? Well, we're going to charge you for it. Voice chat? Dedicated servers? Online browser? What's that? Here, have some digital NES rentals.''

Octane

OorWullie

The online service will be like this
Good
It will have some features you hoped it would have
It will have some features you didn't expect it to have
It will have features you didn't even think about
Bad
It won't have some features you hoped it would have
It won't have some of the features you didn't expect it to have but hoped it would

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

TheTetrisGuy

We already have the classic game library, what I would like is cloud saves, more Apps (YouTube, Netflix, etc.), and more stable online overall. For $20, anything else is a welcome suprise.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

redd214

All I want is cloud saves. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake

redd214

Octane

@TheTetrisGuy I don't see how the apps relate to their service at all. You already pay for those, so they should be free services. Just like how they are on other consoles.

Cloud saves should be free IMO, at least until we can make our own back-ups. If the only way to make back-ups is through a paid service, that's a bit naf.

Your online experience is mostly dependent on your own connection and the people you play with. And since I don't see any reason why they should use dedicated servers, I don't think there's anything they can do to improve in this regard with their ''Online Service Programme''.

Octane

TheTetrisGuy

@Octane What I meant by the apps is I would like a blow out of apps at the time of the online. If I’m going to buy the online, those apps would be a good cherry on top.

It would be awesome if we could get back-ups for free, but if it is a part of the online, that would be a huge selling point.

I haven’t experienced that much of the Switch online experience, so I can only go off what I hear from other people. That said, I’ve heard less than perfect opinions about the online for Mario Kart and Pokken, so there is definitely room for improvement.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

JaxonH

Forget "quality of online". That's a pipe dream.

What they can and should do, rather, is round out the experience with features. Cloud saves. Messaging system to text any friend via the online app, party chat with up to 8 friends via the online app for any game or even outside of game... that sorta stuff. Invites, list of last 100 people you've played with filtered by game which you can send friend requests to.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

OorWullie

With the news that Smash will be given the spotlight at E3 ,surely that is the end of any suggestions that it's just going to be a port.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

Therad

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Octane

Dedicated servers means you're mostly relying on your connection, and not someone else's (bar the server itself). With P2P, you do have to worry about other's connections. Bad host? Oh look, everyone lags, even if your net is fine! Host left? Welp, game over. Or, if you're lucky, it'll migrate hosts, breaking the flow of the match. But I'm not sure may games use host migration... of course, this might be because they have dedicated servers.

Really, there's only benefits to be had. And some games are big enough to require them (like Fortnite, which thankfully has it's own).

Don't count on Nintendo to add servers just because they start paying for online.

Therad

darkfenrir

Did Microsoft and Sony have servers even? I thought those are peer to peer too.

darkfenrir

TuVictus

@JaxonH Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for from a Nintendo online system. There's so much should easily be able to do. I think we'll get most if not all of those features at some point

TuVictus

darkfenrir

@DarthNocturnal ah got it! Seems Microsoft is doing good

Too bad that the fact that they don't have too much exclusives are what make them not the king right now

(I hear they have been making leaps and bounds on QoL like the thing with old games and now this)

darkfenrir

OorWullie

I know Rocket League uses dedicated servers. As for any other Switch games,I have no idea.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

TheTetrisGuy

Bayonetta 2 on Switch outsold the Wii U version! Am I the only one surprised by that? I’ve seen a bunch of ads for it, but I haven’t heard to many people playing it. That’s great though, it opens the door to other games from Platinum! Please let Wonderful 101 be next 🙏

darkfenrir

@DarthNocturnal Yup, BC is something all three need to get on, and Microsoft is the best one right now. Hopefully Nintendo and Sony both will do it next gen at least.

And I hope that more things are coming for Xbox! As of right now I think the winning team is Sony on both US and Europe, while Nintendo wins in Japan.

But I feel like all three should stay together... Like 3 competitors or so. I think past gen is a bit like Xbox wins US, PS wins Europe and Nintendo uhhh wins with 3DS on Japan and all territory I guess. (Kind of guessing, fix me if I'm wrong)

darkfenrir

Octane

@TheTetrisGuy Maybe you're surprised if you thought that Bayonetta 2 on Switch outsold the lifetime sales of the Wii U version, because in that case that's not what happened. Bayonetta 2 sold more in its first nine weeks on the Switch than in its first nine weeks on the Wii U. So it will outsell the Wii U version in time, but not right now lol. If it did that, now that would be amazing!

Octane

TheTetrisGuy

@Octane ... Derp, that’s embarrassing. My bad. Only had a second to read the article. Still, it’s doing great, which is always good.

Edited on by TheTetrisGuy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic