Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,281 to 27,300 of 69,981

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Pokemon launching in November wouldn't cannablize Fire Emblem launching in October or December. The idea that they need to delay Fire Emblem because of Pokemon is ridiculous.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Anti-Matter

@EvilLucario
Eh...
Mini Switch will be so Painful for games like Overcooked or Portal Knights when the game is being played on Tabletop Mode.
It will be even smaller, even harder to see the small details / texts.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers I think it would in both cases because of the Smash/Pokemon combo (assuming a September release for Smash) whereas releasing first half of 2019 wouldn't have this problem.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

OorWullie

With loot boxes now deemed illegal in the Netherlands and Belgium I'm really curious to see how EA and the rest get around it. The Netherlands has given them a deadline to remove or modify them ,while Belgium are warning publishers they could face up to 5 years in jail. Ultimate Team is such a huge money spinner for EA and one that seems to escape the same kind of flack games such as Battlefront 2 received.

Will EA just make UT unavailable in those 2 countries but continue to sell the game there? Will they stop selling FIFA there altogether? Will they change the whole loot box system globally to cater to the laws of 2 countries.It's very likely other European nations are going to follow suit. Will the UK though , a nation where gambling is disgustingly in your face 24/7 and one that happens to be FIFA's biggest market. Would they want to lose out on all that UK money just because some Euro nations have deemed their methods of taking it from you illegal?

This is a real tricky one for EA and whatever happens ,they're in for an enormous hit to their revenue..It's kind of ironic actually,if they hadn't taken the greedy route with Battlefront 2,the game that brought the whole loot crate fiasco into the spotlight ,then they probably could have got away with doing what they do in FIFA for years to come.Karma has finally bitten them in the ass.

Edited on by OorWullie

๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Mr Mustard ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ญ
SW-6101-8403-1640

๐Ÿ•น๏ธ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards ๐Ÿ•น๏ธ

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Agree to disagree then.

@OorWullie Does Ultimate Team even use loot boxes? I know it uses microtransactions, but that's not necessarily the same thing.

Therad

I would guess a new handheld would be 100% compatible with the switch. I see no reason for them to change the architecture, since it is the best for an handheld. In fact, I don't see any reason to move from arm in the foreseeable future. I think x86 is a mistake in a console.

A die shrink of the current chipset would lessen the power consumption considerably and would enable them to have a smaller unit without sacrificing processing power.

How the form factor would look like is a different story. Probably no tabletop mode. I don't think there is a good case for dual screen, except for scratch protection. And it would either divide the base or one screen would be underutilized. Besides it is cheaper to only have one screen.

Therad

OorWullie

@IceClimbers Yep,Ultimate Team Packs are sold like digital football sticker packs ,you've no idea what you're going to get until you open them.

I know first hand the wider problems stuff like this can cause. A few year ago my nephew was ,unknown to my sister ,racking up serious debt on her credit cards to pay for these Ultimate Team Packs. Debt that then led to other issues with him ,issues that weren't there before. Now he's in his mid 20's with a gambling problem and huge debts in his name to go with it. Obviously EA can't be blamed for his current woes but I have no doubt his teenage addiction to these UT packs was where the problems with him started. The way gambling is constantly promoted in the UK is disgraceful. How it's allowed I'll never know and seems to have got a lot worse in the years since the 2008 recession. Unsurprisingly ,while several nations round the world are coming out against loot crates,the UK gambling Association do not see them as a form of gambling. Apparently the US take the same stance.

Apologies for the rant

Edited on by OorWullie

SW-6101-8403-1640

MT101

Do you think the Switch will get FIFA 19?

MT101

IceClimbers

Nintendo's financial results are out.

First however, President Kimishima is stepping down. 46 year old Shuntaro Furukawa will be Nintendo's new president. That's pretty young!

IceClimbers

Updated hardware and software sales as of March 31st:

Switch has sold 17.79 million units.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10.41 million
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 9.22 million
Zelda Breath of the Wild - 8.48 million (this is just for the Switch version!)
Splatoon 2 - 6.02 million
1-2 Switch - 2.29 million
ARMS - 1.85 million
Xenoblade 2 - 1.31 million
Kirby Star Allies - 1.26 million

EXCELLENT results!

Octane

@OorWullie The rest of the EU will mostly likely follow soon. It's ironic indeed. But it's pretty huge, because I also believe this covers skin in Overwatch and even the countless ''free-to-play'' games on mobile. I couldn't find anything about the deadline though, so I wonder how much time they have. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

@IceClimbers So they're promoting a guy that only works a few years at Nintendo, and was the manager of their biggest marketing company, TPC... We shall see!

Octane

darkfenrir

More info on Nintendo's new president Furukawa:
-Expert in marketing
-Close ties to Pokemon
-Spent 1/3 of career overseas (in Germany)
-Fluent English
-Played key role on Switch
-He's young (46).

Some more info on the new president it seems.

darkfenrir

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

@NEStalgia
$5-8 is the price difference between buying a single bluray disc, and buying a 16gb micro SD card.

A PS4 game is far closer to a Blu-ray disk than a switch cartridge is to a microsd card. If the cost of consumer flash drives/cards lined up that closely to the cost of cartridges Nintendo would have had these problems for years. Because the price of flash today is pretty much exactly 1000x lower than it was when the DS launched. And games on the DS in the first year sat around 8-16MB... which also lines up with Switch games currently.

It's as simple as this, read only chips are cheaper

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

gcunit

RETRO_J wrote:

Also of note is that Mario Kart 8 has now outsold the Wii U version by over half a million sales in its first 12 months. It was pretty inevitable at this point but nevertheless great to see confirmed!

No rush whatsoever to make MK9 with those figures. MK8D could sell another 5+ million this year if they hit their 20 million Switch sales target.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

FragRed

I can't see Nintendo hitting 20 million Switch sales this financial year. Considering they only reached 18 million in it's first year, albeit that was due in part to the shortages in manufacturing the system, but to achieve such a massive amount this year will need to see Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Smash all before March 2019. That's just not happening. In fact, we may not even get two of those franchises.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

OorWullie

@FragRed I still think 2D Mario is going to be their big Xmas release. Smash in September along with the online service, Pokรฉmon in October and 2D Mario for late November as well as a new LABO kit.After the release of Mario Maker ,I think it safe to assume the next 2D adventure will be something different. It's guaranteed to be an enormous seller too.For them to be so confident of shifting 20 million then for sure they've got something big we don't know about.

SW-6101-8403-1640

FragRed

@OorWullie Nintendo's confidence in sales really doesn't mean too much though. They were always well overestimating the numbers of Wii U and to a much lesser extent, 3DS hardware. This is obviously a very different era but I still can't see Nintendo shifting 20 million Switch systems.

Sony and Microsoft are going to be incredibly strong this year - Sony especially with their own heavy hitters plus Red Dead Redemption and severe price cuts on hardware to go with the huge amount of exclusive marketing on games and just sheer amount of PlayStation console marketing they do anyway.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

-Green-

Let's just wait and see. No point in speculating so early in the year, where things can change in the drop of a hat.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

@gcunit They should stop making new video games, just release the old ones over and over again, seems a viable solution

@FragRed I still think there's a good chance we'll see Pokemon this year.

More importantly though, I want to know what Retro has been working on. Late 2018 will be close to five years since their last game in early 2014. Whatever it is, it has to be big and successful, five years is a long development time.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic